10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    At least refused service/entry. I haven't argued otherwise, and surely I am not now.
    Okay... why would people who have these issues, argue that others shouldn’t be forced to wear masks?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Okay... why would people who have these issues, argue that others shouldn’t be forced to wear masks?
    AFAIK, they wouldn't. If you're referring to people like those in the video, those people are assholes, and I'd be okay with them being cited for disturbing the peace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Yes, I have science - you have tik-tok and meme-pictures. Masks make it harder to breathe - and there is a trade-off between that and reducing viruses.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't necessarily wear masks - just that they do reduce breathing; and until you start to listen to actual science instead of tik-tok and pretty pictures you will not get further replies.
    If you have a hard time breathing through the mask, you shouldn't be in places that require them. Those who truly complain about the inability to breathe through a mask are the elderly or those with a severe case of asthma.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Silver lining

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronav...united-states/

March 2020 was apparently the first March in nearly two decades without a school shooting in the U.S. Schools across America have been shut down since early March as a prevention measure to slow the spread of coronavirus. Since then, kids of all ages have adjusted to homeschooling and online classes — a new normal that could extend through the rest of the school year.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    :( Not exactly the good news I was hoping for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    The AP has been making a list of tourism boards that are saying "No really, stay home".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Asthmatic sufferer here (if you don't believe I can show you my inhalers lol), I wear a mask all day long, at work, while shopping, etc etc.
    I have an oxygen tracker and never once has it effected the level of o2 in my body.

Never once has it effected my Asthma, actually I see just the opposite since mostly its an N95 its keeping the pollen and paper dust out of my airways. I seem to hit my rescue inhaler even less now.
    But psychologically I feel like my airway is being restricted, I think I was getting less air and felt like I was having trouble breathing. Its called Anxiety. it took a long time to get over it but I did.
    Most asthmatics are symptom free when medicated. To them wearing a mask is not a problem and they also aren't in a risk group to get a more serious COVID-19 outcome.

I am not.
    With medication I am at 70%, breathing is still difficult but at least I don't cough like crazy anymore (you should see me in the morning before I "dope up").
    As such, there is nothing psychological about it. A mask adds another layer of resistance to my breathing and that is simply too much. No, I won't keel over and die. I never stated sth ridiculous like that but it makes it very hard to think about anything else than how to get enough oxygen to think clearly. I once tried it during shopping and forgot half the items I wanted because I was so preoccupied with my dumb breathing.

So yeah, as long as we have sth like 13 new cases out of a population of 3M people per week, I'll take my chances when going to work.
    If numbers go up, I'll stay at home.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    If you can't breathe with a mask you shouldn't be out in the first place.
    Completely agreed, I only take the risk because numbers are inconsequentially low where I live. IIRC my City is considered "Corona free".

10+ Year Old Account

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    For me, I sort of accept a certain amount of risk in my life. Now don't get me wrong, if I'm asked to wear one, or if a shop or restaurant displays a sign requiring a mask, I'll put one on. And if we were facing something like the bubonic plague, something with crazy high mortality, that sort of thing, for sure I'd wear one. And I wore one in the early days of this pandemic, but it's going on 3 months now and I feel the time has passed.

We all accept a certain amount of risk. When we move to a city center, we accept that the gasoline engine exhaust will increase our likelihood of getting lung cancer. Very small increased chance, but we accept that risk. And when people, for example, smoke marijuana, the carcinogens in the smoke will have adverse health effects, but they sort accept that as the cost of doing business, so to speak. Or when we get in our cars and drive, we accept the small chance we'll get hit and die. Or when we go for a walk, we accept the small chance of getting hit as well.

I think there's a time and place to be cautious, and I feel strongly that it was appropriate to wear them in the early days, perhaps a month or two into the pandemic, but at some point normalcy needs to return when facing an illness like Covid-19, where those who wish to be safe can wear masks, and those who feel that's it's just another risk of life that we could get sick, and that that sickness could end up killing us can choose to not wear one.
    Things are a lot worse than March though. Its worse than Wuhan. March might as well not have existed for the US. Now we KNOW the consequences of not respecting distancing, of not wearing masks, and we know what works and works doesn't by looking at places with a decline in cases versus most of the US.

Now we KNOW COVID 19 is beatable if we take the necessary steps to tough it up and see the process through. We're not in the position to ease precautions because we messed our first chance, but now we have a second and know how long it will take to return to semi-normalcy.

All we have have to do is wear masks, respect distancing for a few weeks and the rest of the year is easy. Rush, again, ignore precautions again, and we'll see the third spike. I don't know if American society can take a third.

--------------------------

I work in long term care. We've been on various degrees of lockdown since Feb. Mostly strict lockdowns we're our clients or no one who works for us are allowed on or off-campus. Because of that many people I work with/for haven't seen family since Feb. If they get sick or leave they can't come back for at least two weeks. Some of them work, they haven't been allowed to work since Feb. We have various outside support personnel who have been out of the job since Feb because of the lockdown. Imagine actually being confined to your house since Feb, not even being able to go get groceries. We were allowed to begin easing lockdown a few weeks ago but the community wasn't taking precautions, the community wasn't wearing masks, numbers spiked. These people are now confined once again to their residence because of nothing they did on their part. Because others wanted to be selfish. They are looking at least another month of lockdown. They want to go out like everyone else but can't because of a condition they might have or not wanting to get people they live with sick. Heaven forbid someone actually gets sick, we're talking double-digit contractions and I don't want to speak of worse case scenarios. If they can endure, people can wear masks to run to the store.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2020-06-28 at 09:33 AM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Not exactly the good news I was hoping for.
    Well presumably it's true for April, May and June too, hell 2020 is looking to be the safest year for school shootings in a long time; Thanks Trump!...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Well presumably it's true for April, May and June too, hell 2020 is looking to be the safest year for school shootings in a long time; Thanks Trump!...
    Actually quite of few other 'accepted' diseases that are down. Climate is doing well in some areas with nothing but a couple month pause of human activity.

Anybody remember that we were actually looking at a bad flu season before COViD-19. Boy were we off base. Theres some social issues that have been addressed while people have been stuck inside. Don't really want to dive into them but amazing what being forced to be introspective does.

Just want to chip in, in regards to the mask debate. Neither Denmark nor Norway have had mask requirements at any point, yet the pandemic is as much under control as it can be, and the society is open again, except for nightclubs.

Currently on vacation in Italy, where masks is a requirement inside.

Which leads me to the conclusion, that norwegians and danes are good at keeping the social distancing and adhere to guidelines, and masks work well for populations who do not, but need to see masks in the enviroment, to remind them that there is a pandemic going on, and they need to keep distance.

Obviously masks should be enforced on the american population, when there’s a big group of selfish “born free” idiots, who are too stupid to follow otherwise clear instructions. Giving 1000$ fines that’ll pay for healthcare for the poor, would probably trigger them enough on all levels, to wear one, god forbid they’ll pay for their fellow americans well-being.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Just want to chip in, in regards to the mask debate. Neither Denmark nor Norway have had mask requirements at any point, yet the pandemic is as much under control as it can be, and the society is open again, except for nightclubs.

Which leads me to the conclusion, that norwegians and danes are good at keeping the social distancing and adhere to guidelines, and masks work well for populations who do not, but need to see masks in the enviroment, to remind them that there is a pandemic going on, and they need to keep distance.

Obviously masks should be enforced on the american population, when there’s a big group of selfish “born free” idiots, who are too stupid to follow otherwise clear instructions. Giving 1000$ fines that’ll pay for healthcare for the poor, would probably trigger them enough on all levels, to wear one, god forbid they’ll pay for their fellow americans well-being.
    On masks, you have to consider that you have a lot fewer people. For instance, Norway has only 1/4 of the people of my state but more than twice as large. Its just easier for people to socially distance from one another. You're not wrong that masks need to enforced, here, just putting it into perspective for people who say 'well they dind't wear masks!'

American society is simply built upon pretending to care for your countrymen while only caring about yourself - sometimes you really don't care for yourself but only the moment. We would not have our healthcare system if we actually put lives first. We wouldn't need governments to force businesses to close if society valued life over money (why sick leave is a privileged many don't have in the US). He'll Americans are so overworked and underpaid that the first lockdown was viewed as vacation more than anything - actually health be damned.

Masks are ~$5. They don't need to be thick stop the spread. We're literally the worst-hit country in the world breaking our own records and people can't wear masks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    For me, I sort of accept a certain amount of risk in my life. Now don't get me wrong, if I'm asked to wear one, or if a shop or restaurant displays a sign requiring a mask, I'll put one on. And if we were facing something like the bubonic plague, something with crazy high mortality, that sort of thing, for sure I'd wear one. And I wore one in the early days of this pandemic, but it's going on 3 months now and I feel the time has passed.

We all accept a certain amount of risk. When we move to a city center, we accept that the gasoline engine exhaust will increase our likelihood of getting lung cancer. Very small increased chance, but we accept that risk. And when people, for example, smoke marijuana, the carcinogens in the smoke will have adverse health effects, but they sort accept that as the cost of doing business, so to speak. Or when we get in our cars and drive, we accept the small chance we'll get hit and die. Or when we go for a walk, we accept the small chance of getting hit as well.

I think there's a time and place to be cautious, and I feel strongly that it was appropriate to wear them in the early days, perhaps a month or two into the pandemic, but at some point normalcy needs to return when facing an illness like Covid-19, where those who wish to be safe can wear masks, and those who feel that's it's just another risk of life that we could get sick, and that that sickness could end up killing us can choose to not wear one.
    Mmmmh, I hate this. If nothing else, I at least appreciate that you're able to take a position and voice it civilly, and I'll try to do the same. But for real, this saddens me, a lot. It's been addressed (piled upon, even) before, and I know you've probably already washed your hands of this thread, but it cannot be overstated how fantastically backwards this kind of thinking is. And I hate it, so much, because I see it all the time on commercials and ads for masks as well: a lot of it is orbiting and perpetuating a mindset of protecting yourself, or taking on some kind of personal risk, when the point of masks isn't primarily to protect yourself from others, it's to protect others from you.

When you're asked to put on a mask in a store or restaurant, it's not a statement of "Oh my goodness, you brave fool, don't you know it's dangerous out here with COVID running around? I'd hate to see you get sick, please take care of yourself!" It's a statement of, "You are putting me and everyone else in this enclosed space in danger of getting sick. Please stop."

If I'm in my car or walking down the street, sure, I guess I'm taking a "risk" that I could get struck by a drunk driver and die. But me taking on that "risk" doesn't change the fact that the drunk driver is a fucking asshole whose behavior should not be encouraged. And if you don't wear your mask 100% of the time you're out in public around others, then you're the drunk-driving asshole in this analogy. You're accepting the "risk" of willingly being a small part of a big problem, instead of being part of the solution, and that's not commendable or sensible, no matter how verbosely or civilly you say it.

The worst part about it all is that for the majority of the people who this applies to, it's so fucking easy to just wear a mask. It takes two seconds to put on and take off, it can be substituted by other impromptu face coverings in a pinch, it's inexpensive. If there were a lot of bells and whistles and steps and precautions to the process of covering your face, I'd get it, but there's not. For the common person, wearing a mask is not an inconvenience. And so people are making up all kinds of excuses, political, social, personal, or otherwise, to just be an asshole.

Like I assumed, you've probably already washed your hands of this thread, and that's fine. But like I said, it can't be overstated for anyone who might share your opinion. The coronavirus does not care about you, your hehe-whatever nonchalance, your personal risks, your political affiliation, or your misinformed opinions. It will more than likely sooner use you as a taxi to fuck up someone else's life than it will yours. Wear a mask. Show some common courtesy. Don't be an asshole.
    Last edited by CalamityHeart; 2020-06-28 at 11:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Almost 5.5 million subscribers. 1.3 million views... this is a Florida town hall:

The kids are alright...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Almost 5.5 million subscribers. 1.3 million views... this is a Florida town hall:

https://youtu.be/Hl6WYw6H-VM
    Yes, they are insane.

However, the commentator is also a problem - he suggests that "citizen arrests may have started as a joke", and it seems he means in general - not just for this. In reality citizen arrests have been made successfully a number of times, but I can't see how it would be applicable here. Obviously that's not the most important part - but when he starts with that I doubt everything else he says.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I assume this is what gun nuts will pivot to next. Obviously we've now proven that the problem isn't guns, it's that schools were open and begging to be shot up! Shut down those dastardly schools for good!

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin

In general, the US could skip a lot of the worst parts of this pandemic if people would stop being fucking cunts about "muh rights (to jeopardize public health)". No one wants this shit to keep going, but every day that massive crowds of idiots pointedly ignore pandemic guidelines is another day that not only do we have to keep doing it, but we also have to find stronger methods to address the problem. My wife and I have joked to each other that we'd rather get coronavirus than wear these fucking masks in Georgia heat and humidity, but we still do it because we aren't murderous fuckbags that don't give a shit about the society we participate in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Posted without further comment.

Gottlieb: Aggressive action in virus hot spots won't have impact for weeks

Former FDA commissioner Scott Gottlieb told CBS News' "Face the Nation" on Sunday that surging coronavirus cases across the Sun Belt are a result of "community spread that's been underway for some time" and that even if states take aggressive action to curb the spread now — which they're not — cases will continue to grow for weeks.

Skyrocketing cases in Florida and Texas have caused state leadership to hit pause on parts of their reopening plans. But Gottlieb argued that the piecemeal actions these new hotspots are taking, like closing bars, are far weaker than stay-at-home orders and will only have a "marginal" impact that may not manifest for weeks.

"These are major epidemics that are underway in the South and the Southeast right now," Gottlieb said.

"Look at New York. New York implemented the stay-at-home order on March 20, it was a Friday. It went into effect on Sunday. They peaked in terms of the number of daily cases that they were reporting on April 7," he added.

"So almost three weeks after they implemented the stay-at-home order, the cases continued to build and then they started to slowly decline."

Over half the country — 26 states — have seen their coronavirus caseloads increase over the past week. The Trump administration has blamed the surges partially on increased testing, but public health experts say that increasing test doesn't fully explain the massive spike in infections

Gottlieb argued that states like Florida and Texas should have taken a two-week pause between phases of their reopening in order to assess the impacts of reopening, pointing to the success of Maryland, New Jersey and Michigan as an example.

His comments echo those of former CDC director Tom Frieden, who equated states reopening while cases were still growing to "leaning into a left hook."

"It's going to be hard to extinguish. We're going to have many weeks ahead of us of continued growth in these cases, at least two or three weeks — even if we take aggressive actions right now, which across the board we're not doing," Gottlieb said.

"You look at states like Florida, which might be in the worst shape right now, it looks like they may be tipping over into exponential growth, and so they're going to see perhaps rapid acceleration in number of cases," Gottlieb said.

While new coronavirus cases are largely being reported in younger populations, Gottlieb says that this trend is "not likely to stay that way."

"This spread is likely to seep into more vulnerable communities and we're likely to see total daily deaths start to go back up again."

Can't get anymore fucked than this as a country

..first stop.....of 12....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Tennessee.html

Country singer Chase Rice hosts a concert for 4,000 fans in Tennessee with NO social distancing or face masks despite coronavirus fears
    Chase Rice held his first concert in four months in Petros, Tennessee, Saturday

Video from the country singer's Instagram story shows about 4,000 screaming fans packed tightly inside the venue while not wearing face coverings
    The Tennessee location was the first stop on Rice's tour; Tennessee is one of several states that have seen uptick in coronavirus cases in the past few weeks
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Can't get anymore fucked than this as a country

..first stop.....of 12....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Tennessee.html

Country singer Chase Rice hosts a concert for 4,000 fans in Tennessee with NO social distancing or face masks despite coronavirus fears
    Chase Rice held his first concert in four months in Petros, Tennessee, Saturday

Video from the country singer's Instagram story shows about 4,000 screaming fans packed tightly inside the venue while not wearing face coverings
    The Tennessee location was the first stop on Rice's tour; Tennessee is one of several states that have seen uptick in coronavirus cases in the past few weeks
    Well thats a super spreader event if i've ever seen one.

I'm done with not wishing people harm despite being pants on head retarded. Getting burned is the only way some people learn.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death