Thread: Pokemon, Part 2

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    The last Pokemon game that I REALLY enjoyed was Black 2 and White 2. It felt like they put a lot of love and attention into that game. I wouldn't say that X and Y or Sun and Moon were bad games, but they felt really barebones (a bit more understandable with X and Y since it was the first 3D mainline games). Sun and Moon did try some new stuff like trials, but they weren't super successful and the game was bogged down with long tutorials and cutscenes.

I think the problem with Pokemon as a franchise is that for all the massive stacks of cash they make, they barely make any innovations or technological advancements.
    There is no reason to fix a nonbroken formula. They aren't going to make major shake ups to the series.

The only thing Pokemon may do is go a fully open world game or how Elder Scrolls handled it in Oblivion and Skyrim where major cities are other zones. They aren't going to make more changes to the main series. Turn based battles are here to stay, they push their VGC style battling in the last two gens too much to discard that now.

They may stray away from evil teams, gyms and other plot related elements but the core of battle, capture and progress isnt going to change. Look at the mix reaction to the Let's Go style catching mechanic, some people liked it others hated it.

Pokemon is not a series know for shaking anything up too much. They tend to stick to what works.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    There is no reason to fix a nonbroken formula. They aren't going to make major shake ups to the series.

The only thing Pokemon may do is go a fully open world game or how Elder Scrolls handled it in Oblivion and Skyrim where major cities are other zones. They aren't going to make more changes to the main series. Turn based battles are here to stay, they push their VGC style battling in the last two gens too much to discard that now.

They may stray away from evil teams, gyms and other plot related elements but the core of battle, capture and progress isnt going to change. Look at the mix reaction to the Let's Go style catching mechanic, some people liked it others hated it.

Pokemon is not a series know for shaking anything up too much. They tend to stick to what works.
    I never said anything about them removing turned based battles or anything like that. But every Pokemon game follows the same formula and they rarely address the feedback that the fanbase gives them. Speaking of VGC, after playing Temtem I'd honestly prefer it if they made the Main Pokemon games be primarily double battles. There's just a lot more depth and strategy in the double battle format.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    I never said anything about them removing turned based battles or anything like that. But every Pokemon game follows the same formula and they rarely address the feedback that the fanbase gives them. Speaking of VGC, after playing Temtem I'd honestly prefer it if they made the Main Pokemon games be primarily double battles. There's just a lot more depth and strategy in the double battle format.
    I would just prefer more double battles in general. I can count the number of double battles in Sword and Shield and not make it past 10.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    I would just prefer more double battles in general. I can count the number of double battles in Sword and Shield and not make it past 10.
    Yeah problem with pokemon double is that is overpowered. In temtem you have starmina and turn based skills, so you cant just spam and you need to think.

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    The formula is irrelevant. The execution is what matters, and GameFreak has been botching the execution of their games for the last seven years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Colosseum and XD made me wish that double battles were the standard form of battling. They add so much depth and strategy to battle. I can't stand the battle maison/tree unless it's doubles. Too bad GameFreak treated triples and rotation battles as novelties; they were really interesting too.

Maybe just a MUCH higher frequency of non-normal battles would be nice. But, again, it counts for jack all unless they're tuned to be actually challenging.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    The formula is irrelevant. The execution is what matters, and GameFreak has been botching the execution of their games for the last seven years.
    In what way did the "botch" the execution?
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

It is strange that Double Battles aren't the norm for the SP story when they are the standard Multiplayer format.

Single player is easier allowing people to get through the story before they decide if they are done or if they want to jump into multiplayer battles. Remember that Pokemon targets a broad audience including younger kids (though it does feel like they went a bit too far with how easy Sword and Shield was).

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait a sec...did pokemon realy add lootbox like mehanic:
    https://www.serebii.net/swordshield/cram-o-matic.shtml

Add in 4 valuble items and you can get crap.

Well some crap can be at least used by the looks of it:
    https://game8.co/games/pokemon-sword...rchives/290300

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Wait a sec...did pokemon realy add lootbox like mehanic:
    https://www.serebii.net/swordshield/cram-o-matic.shtml

Add in 4 valuble items and you can get crap.

Well some crap can be at least used by the looks of it:
    https://game8.co/games/pokemon-sword...rchives/290300
    Not all random rewards are lootboxes, and the cram-o-matic is pretty deterministic, if you put the right stuff in you get out what you want. Lootboxes have a very specific real world monetisation connotation, and this is categorically not the case for pokémon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Not all random rewards are lootboxes, and the cram-o-matic is pretty deterministic, if you put the right stuff in you get out what you want. Lootboxes have a very specific real world monetisation connotation, and this is categorically not the case for pokémon.
    Yeah true, but that bottlecap combo fells like pay to win. I think i have like 400 rare candys.

Also i read there is a vendor or npc there that gives you points for some ore. If you buy lots of luxury balls and sell them -- easy money. Not like in old wild where you get like 2000 and it takes forever.

- - - Updated - - -

Well at least free legendary came with 5 max IV so i only needed 1 bottle cap

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a Pokémon GO player and that game has a very narrow range of playable (top) Pokémon

Going with that attitude, what are the best Pokémon available in Sword and Shield? Whether it's new or old generation
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    I'm a Pokémon GO player and that game has a very narrow range of playable (top) Pokémon

Going with that attitude, what are the best Pokémon available in Sword and Shield? Whether it's new or old generation
    Depends on what metagame you are aiming for.

10+ Year Old Account
    like, pve? i just want to have top available pokemon of each type, simple as that. top 3 of each type maybe

Story? Max Raids? Battle Tower?

10+ Year Old Account
    i dont know, i dont have the game yet. whats the difference? best is best, no?

For single player story you can use anything. It is easy enough.

For Max Raids, Legendaries with Super Effective moves against the boss are the best. If no legendaries, any high lvl mon with super effective moves (resistances are nice bonus).

10+ Year Old Account
    alright. can i still get to know what are top available pokemon of each type? any chart or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    alright. can i still get to know what are top available pokemon of each type? any chart or something like that?
    https://www.smogon.com/dex/ss/formats/ou/
    https://www.smogon.com/dex/ss/formats/uber/
    Knock yourself out. OU is overplayed meaning just about everyone uses them because they are really good. Uber is like OU but these are considered "best of the best". Ignore the rules and restrictions as those are for competitive formats like the VGC and the pokemon with the "-GMax" affix because those are just their dynamax forms.