Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Are there going to be any televised debates this year? I've been looking forward to seeing Biden destroy Trump but not sure if we'll get that due to the pandemic

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Are there going to be any televised debates this year? I've been looking forward to seeing Biden destroy Trump but not sure if we'll get that due to the pandemic
    Biden has agreed to 3. Trump has yet to agree to any. That hasn't stopped trump from accusing biden of not wanting to debate him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    Biden has signed up to the usual televised, even if virtual meeting, debates. Trump is refusing to do so, instead seeking 4 debates, with partisan moderators splitting the debates. Trump is claiming he won’t sign up to debates, until they are fair enough to let him choose 2 moderators.

Although, if Trump chocked on soft balls from Hannity last week, not sure what Hannity the moderator would do. Some Trump supporters were pissed at Hannity, for not feeding Trump answers, when he rambled off topic. I don’t think even Trump simps can help his debate skills...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I don't expect to really find answers here but I wonder how well the party can hell up in the future. The split between moderates/liberals vs progressives has been growing since the latter half of Obama's 2nd term. The two sides scuffs at the other when one comes out on top in the primaries. The party was not healthy in 2016 and only collective scourn for Trump has brought it together since. I'm not old enough to know if this is just normal pattern behavior but I do what party will look like once the threat of McConnell Republicans are gone in the next 4-8 years. When there's a soft reset and no big red bad guy to defeat. I do think the Democratic Party will at least become two distinct factions under one blue banner.
    There won't be a split. the party will just become more progressive, as people like Pelosi/Biden retire/die.

That's the whole point of incrementalism. The 80s set us back real hard when Mondale and Dukakis were so thoroughly thumped. We (wrongly) thought that because of the 60s and 70s America was ready for change, but Reagan hit those themes of racial tension (with the Cadillac welfare queens) and the Cold War hard.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    There won't be a split. the party will just become more progressive, as people like Pelosi/Biden retire/die.

That's the whole point of incrementalism. The 80s set us back real hard when Mondale and Dukakis were so thoroughly thumped. We (wrongly) thought that because of the 60s and 70s America was ready for change, but Reagan hit those themes of racial tension (with the Cadillac welfare queens) and the Cold War hard.
    I never thought of that way, but I see your point. There are some MAJOR differences between now and then.

Gay Marriage is legal in ALL 50 STATES. And the push back has been minimal. Less than what I was expecting.

There are established companies actively supporting progressive ideals. Even Chick Fil A has come out in support of gays and against racism. You Tube has been including BLM themed videos as part of the selections they recommend. I watched some of them. VERY powerful. VERY intense.

Companies did not push back against the racists so much a generation ago.

It used to be that when white racist cops beat the living shit out of blacks, the story line would be a he said she said situation where the cops would get the benefit of the doubt, and the black guy was the one lying. Now, phone cameras are proof that it's usually the cops that are lying, and that they lie with CONVICTION. This is a game changer. Finally, cops are getting prosecuted for murdering blacks.

And... racists are stuck supporting Trump. They may not be able to recover from this mistake.

Since 2000, we have had two white Presidents. Bush led us to the Great Recession in two terms, and Trump is leading us into disaster in one term.
    We have had one black President. Obama got us out of the difficulties Bush put the US in, and continues to be a very decent and honorable man.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Got to wonder where this introspection from you ever was on Trump and his cronies.

- - - Updated - - -

Little Texaslies is gonna never show his face here again if Dems win Texas. Bloomberg should drop millions in ads there, if he was serious about defeating Trump.
    All of his problems in TX are self-inflicted. Harold Hamm came to the WH in March with a warning that Trump needed to do something about the oil war. He did not do anything and here we are. Due to his inaction, the US has ceded control of the global oil market to Russia, China and SA. Oil & gas counties now have the highest unemployment in the nation. Formerly fastest growing towns in TX are turning into ghost towns at an even faster rate. Approximately 80% of TX independent oil producers is projected to be out of business by the end of the year. Just in time for the election. The guy is an utter and complete moron.

Although not TX specific, the way he handled the protest has alienated and driven former never-Biden Bernie's supporters into the Biden camp. Something that would have been unthinkable back in April.

I wonder how many Asians he alienated with the single word "kung flu."

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Biden has signed up to the usual televised, even if virtual meeting, debates. Trump is refusing to do so, instead seeking 4 debates, with partisan moderators splitting the debates. Trump is claiming he won’t sign up to debates, until they are fair enough to let him choose 2 moderators.
    And Trump will then want his two first; after which he'll declare victory, say he has no need to take part in any further debates and slip away.

This guy cheats at golf. In any given situation, you need to think "how is he going to try and cheat here?"

Saying that, seeing how he collapsed against Hannity, I'm not sure they can find ANY moderator that won't make him look like an incompetent moron.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Problem is he will be counting on Biden to have huge gaffs and lapses that make his statements more reasonable.
    The risk is that Biden doesn't do any of that and comes off normal to strong...is a huge problem for trump team.

I think Biden will be Biden, boring a few minor gaffs about the same number as Trump but without the huge lies Trump will be caught telling.

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump turns down all debates so he can continue his attempted attacks on Biden's Health and Mental capacity..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    All of his problems in TX are self-inflicted. Harold Hamm came to the WH in March with a warning that Trump needed to do something about the oil war. He did not do anything and here we are. Due to his inaction, the US has ceded control of the global oil market to Russia, China and SA. Oil & gas counties now have the highest unemployment in the nation. Formerly fastest growing towns in TX are turning into ghost towns at an even faster rate. Approximately 80% of TX independent oil producers is projected to be out of business by the end of the year. Just in time for the election. The guy is an utter and complete moron.

"
    I have a hard time feeling sorry for them, as they were warned over and over again about their debt loads and the fragile state of the oil industry/sector and competition.

Just like north of TX they were warned over and over again not to build out like crazy both in the oil industry and in the local/state govt investments because of the volatile nature of oil

Going to be huge ghost towns everywhere and even large piles of debt the govt of these places were counting on the expansion of the oil sector to help pay off.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    That GOP operatives are leaking this to FOX is by itself significant.
    Again, it’s not likely for all sorts of reasons but:
    • Trump has always been a quitter
    • He's not rational, so thinking his behavior is going to be driven largely by rational considerations is a category mistake.

Rough polling stretch has GOP operatives asking: Could Trump drop out?
    A stretch of lackluster polling for President Trump has some Republican operatives nervous about the president’s reelection prospects in November – with some even floating the possibility for the first time that Trump could drop out if his poll numbers don’t rebound.

“It’s too early, but if the polls continue to worsen, you can see a scenario where he drops out,” one GOP operative who asked to remain anonymous told Fox News.

Trump’s poll numbers in recent weeks have trended downward amid criticism over his administration’s handling of the coronavirus epidemic and the White House response to the protests and riots following the death of George Floyd in late May while in Minneapolis police custody.

A recent Fox News poll had the president trailing Democrat Joe Biden by 12 points, while a RealClearPolitics average of polls had Trump down almost 10 points to the former vice president. Biden also was leading Trump in many key battleground states, and polls from Republican strongholds such as Texas had Trump and Biden neck-and-neck.

Bonus points, Tucker doing his fantasys spiel:
    • Warns Biden is controlled by Radicals
    • Trump was ahead of his time for being tough on China

lol wut
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    That GOP operatives are leaking this to FOX is by itself significant.
    Again, it’s not likely for all sorts of reasons but:
    • Trump has always been a quitter
    • He's not rational, so thinking his behavior is going to be driven largely by rational considerations is a category mistake.

Rough polling stretch has GOP operatives asking: Could Trump drop out?
    A stretch of lackluster polling for President Trump has some Republican operatives nervous about the president’s reelection prospects in November – with some even floating the possibility for the first time that Trump could drop out if his poll numbers don’t rebound.

“It’s too early, but if the polls continue to worsen, you can see a scenario where he drops out,” one GOP operative who asked to remain anonymous told Fox News.

Trump’s poll numbers in recent weeks have trended downward amid criticism over his administration’s handling of the coronavirus epidemic and the White House response to the protests and riots following the death of George Floyd in late May while in Minneapolis police custody.

A recent Fox News poll had the president trailing Democrat Joe Biden by 12 points, while a RealClearPolitics average of polls had Trump down almost 10 points to the former vice president. Biden also was leading Trump in many key battleground states, and polls from Republican strongholds such as Texas had Trump and Biden neck-and-neck.

Bonus points, Tucker doing his fantasys spiel:
    • Warns Biden is controlled by Radicals
    • Trump was ahead of his time for being tough on China

lol wut
    Only scenario where I could see Trump dropping out is when his hate rallies are as pathetic as the one of last week. Trump lives in a circle jerk environment so as long as people tell him that the polls are wrong (that memo cost his campaign 100k btw) and his rallies are for his mind acceptable size he will never quit because he likes being president.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Only scenario where I could see Trump dropping out is when his hate rallies are as pathetic as the one of last week. Trump lives in a circle jerk environment so as long as people tell him that the polls are wrong (that memo cost his campaign 100k btw) and his rallies are for his mind acceptable size he will never quit because he likes being president.
    Let's also not forget staying president is the best way for him to run out the clock from possible state criminal charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Let's also not forget staying president is the best way for him to run out the clock from possible state criminal charges.
    I don't think there's any firm guidance on how sealed indictments affect the statute of limitations when the reason they can't proceed to trial is that the defendant is the POTUS. I would like to imagine that any resolution of that question would also address the policy that sitting presidents cannot be tried, but who knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    That is assuming that in the meantime Trump won't do anything stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    That is assuming that in the meantime Trump won't do anything stupid.
    Oh he will... if he loses in November, people will be losing their shit from November to January, because at least a lot of crooks will get pardons.

Basically, I expect Trump to pardon Madoff in January, if he loses.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    The main rift in the Democratic Party appears to be between those who read Chomsky's "Manufacturing Consent" and those who read "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban".
    I think the main rift is probably Trump supporters pretending to have concern, when their only real agenda is to try and divide people by lying about what they actually support.

10+ Year Old Account
    The main rift in the Democratic Party appears to be between those who read Chomsky's "Manufacturing Consent" and those who read "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban".
    Chomsky is encouraging people to vote Biden... try again...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I think the main rift is probably Trump supporters pretending to have concern, when their only real agenda is to try and divide people by lying about what they actually support.
    Indeed... it happens to also be the only defense of Trump. Lying...

Edit: Damn it... when I say indeed, it’s not meant to be pompous... it sounds like this, in my head, when I post it:

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice, Reddit finally got rid of The_Donald and ChapoTrapHouse.

The internet became slightly less shitty today, if only temporarily.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Nice, Reddit finally got rid of The_Donald and ChapoTrapHouse.

The internet became slightly less shitty today, if only temporarily.
    The_Donald community that was still on Reddit had been dead for months anyway, they migrated off site a while ago after the admins started to squeeze them a bit, this is just a formality on the part of the Reddit admins.

Banning a bunch of hateful sub is good none the less though, with places like r/consumeproduct and r/gendercritical also going.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    The_Donald community that was still on Reddit had been dead for months anyway, they migrated off site a while ago after the admins started to squeeze them a bit, this is just a formality on the part of the Reddit admins.

Banning a bunch of hateful sub is good none the less though, with places like r/consumeproduct and r/gendercritical also going.
    They still had around 8000 daily active users. While nowhere near their peak, this is still a good thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure I'd frame it like that. Reddit's new policy pretty much explicitly points out that hateful posts are allowed as long as it's against a 'majority' group. Seems a bit backwards to me...

[IMG]https://i.gyazo.com/694d35c80df04f9458929ecd54bfb9cc.png[IMG]

A lot of the new policy stuff also seems more driven by profit than about any sense of morality or ethics.
    Eg. the main reason why CTH got banned:

[IMG]https://i.gyazo.com/8137c410ad0f2036fd986a2e2ea4a519.png[IMG]

Pandering to the indian government, similar to the Hong Kong / China nonsense Blizzard pulled.
    CTH got quarantined for a lot more reasons than just those in that screenshot, we both know that. But that discussion is neither here nor there for what this thread's purpose is about.

That aside, I think hateful is the perfect word for a now banned sub that had a bunch of TERFs in it.