Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallor View Post
    Going by WC3, it's actually kind of sad that so many iconic race-class combo's aren't playable in the game. For example, the most iconic dwarven class is definitely Mountain King. One of the most iconic Night elf class is Priestess of the Moon. One of the most iconic Orc class is Blademaster.
    If only there was a class like the mountain king who has abilities such as storm bolt, thunderclap and avatar... if only.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Paladin - Light Forged / Human; Alliance leaning
    Hunter - Night Elf / Dwarf; Alliance leaning
    Druid - Night Elf / Worgen; Alliance leaning while neutral (Cenarion Circle)
    Mage - Human; Alliance leaning

DK - Human / Orc split; Neutral
    Monk - Pandaren; Neutral
    DH - Night Elf / Belf split' Neutral
    Priest - Draenei / Undead split Neutral

Warrior - Orc / Tauren; Horde leaning
    Shaman - Mag'har / Troll; Horde leaning while neutral (Earthen Ring)
    Rogue - Belfs/Undead; Horde leaning
    Warlock - Belfs/Undead; Horde leaning

Quote Originally Posted by Elestia View Post
    Paladin - Light Forged / Human; Alliance leaning
    Hunter - Night Elf / Dwarf; Alliance leaning
    Druid - Night Elf / Worgen; Alliance leaning while neutral (Cenarion Circle)
    Mage - Human; Alliance leaning

DK - Human / Orc split; Neutral
    Monk - Pandaren; Neutral
    DH - Night Elf / Belf split' Neutral
    Priest - Draenei / Undead split Neutral

Warrior - Orc / Tauren; Horde leaning
    Shaman - Mag'har / Troll; Horde leaning while neutral (Earthen Ring)
    Rogue - Belfs/Undead; Horde leaning
    Warlock - Belfs/Undead; Horde leaning
    Mage: Human, Night elf (Highborne), Void Elf, High Elf - alliance leaning

Priest - Draenei, Night elf, Human /Undead, Troll , Zandalari
    Warrior - Human, Dwarf /Orc/Troll/Tauren
    Rogue - Night elf, Human, Gnome / Undead, Orcs, BElves, Goblins

Warlock - Orcs/Human - horde leaning still

Warrior: Human, Orc, Dwarf
    Rogue: Forsaken, Human, Dwarf, Night Elf
    Hunter: Blood Elf, Void Elf, Forsaken, Night Elf
    Mage: Blood Elf, Nightborne, Human, Gnome, Void Elf
    Warlock: Orc, Blood Elf, Undead
    Priest: Blood Elf, Human, (Both LF and) Draenei, Forsaken
    Paladin: Human, (Both LF and) Draenei, Blood Elf
    Shaman: Orc, Troll, Tauren
    Monk: Pandaren
    Death Knight: Forsaken, Human, Orc, Blood Elf
    Demon Hunter: Blood Elf, Night Elf
    Druid: Night Elf, Tauren

The absolutely very best at each class?

Druid - Night elf
    Mage - Night elf (highborne), Nightborne, Void/high Elf, Blood elf
    Warrior - Human, Orc (tie)
    Hunter - Night elf /Blood elf
    Warlock - Orc
    Priest - Everyone with a religion
    Paladin - LF/Draenei, Turalyon and Liadrin
    Shaman - Mag'har Orc /Tauren
    DK - Human
    Demon Hunter: Night Elf
    Rogue: Forsaken

I love how many people are forgetting night elves are the best mages out there. Azshara and Illidan topping the world famous mages. With the greatest mage civilization ever and still having some of those mage factions from that era going in the Shen'dralar and Moonguard.

Reporter: So why are many people omitting night elves from their list even though the greatest mages and greatest mage civilization was night elven?

Night Elf: Well, while it is true all night elves carry an innate capacity for the arcane and could use it to varying degrees, the truth is only those talented enough to make the Highborne caste bother to train it these day?

Reporter: Why is that?

Night elf: Speaking for the Darnassian faction, it's because there's a little bit of a stigma amongst the race left over from when you-know-who was in charge.

Reporter: You mean Queen Azshara

Night Elf: We don't say that name.
    Now going by class, but basing it on races that have a factions with a strong tradition.

Shaman: Dwarves (Wildhammer), Kul'tirans, Orcs (all), Tauren (all), Trolls (all)
    Warrior: Orc, Troll, Human, Worgen, Tauren
    Hunter: Elves (all), Orcs (all), Trolls (all), Tauren (all)
    Mage: Elves (Nelf ones are Highborne/Moonguard), Humans
    Warlock: Orcs
    Priests: Everyone with a Religion but strongest traditions in Draenei/Lightforged, Night elves, Trolls (all), Humans, Void Elves, Mag'har orcs
    Paladin: Lightforged, Draenei, Human, Blood elf
    Rogue: Undead, Human, Orc, Gnome, Vulpera, Goblin, Night elf, Blood elf - they're all sneaky buggers
    Druid: Night elves
    Demon Hunter: Night elves/blood elves
    DKs: Every core race really - no race has a strong DK tradition, but amongst DKs, pretty much anyone who becomes one will be strong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    Pandaren - not sure why rogue, shaman and priest are there.. but most of the pandaren stuff stems from the Monk, it's just that their monks can stealth and wield elements as well, but that's all done through the discipline that dominates them. Not sure where priest comes from.. I know about the Augustine celestials but not really heard of a famous priest order even if they do have some form of a priesthood. the temples are all Monk monastaries, their priesthood is Monk based.
    Lots to cover here so I'll break down by race. I've nothing against what you added, but I'll explain why I put in the ones you removed.

Gnome:
    I put mage in because the gnomes in Ironforge count no few mages among their number. Also, Tinker is not a confirmed class. Gnomes' talent for Engineering is already covered by their racial stats and being an engineer does not preclude being a mage.

Worgen:
    I fail to see what confuses you about worgen warriors and priests being iconic. The Gilnean soldiers were integral to stalling both the worgen and later in helping fight back the Forsaken. Never mind their contributions to the Second War. And Gilneas obviously values its priesthood, with the cathedral being the centerpiece of Gilneas City and the largest, most eye-catching structure in Gilneas proper.

Draenei:
    They have an entire wing of their capital, and an entire subculture, dedicated to shamanism thanks to the efforts of Nobundo. Not every draenei is a Light-wielding zealot and shamanism isn't some minor side-gig they have going on like the Rangari used to be.

Dark Iron:
    If you don't remember the droves of paladin mobs in Blackrock Depths you weren't paying attention. Dark Iron shaman are also a strong contender for iconic given the race's close association with fire elementals even after their liberation from direct enslavement by Ragnaros.

Kul'Tiran:
    Your criteria for iconic seems pretty arbitrary, to be bluntly honest. The most iconic Kul'Tiran in the lore is a mage, and the Tidesages present both shamanic and mage elements in their numbers. Also, the Drust druids may be small in number but they are one of the most stand-out elements of Kul'Tiran culture, which is kind of how 'iconic' works.

Mechagnomes:
    Again, right now there's no indication 'Tinker' is a legitimate class while Engineering exists as a profession with the breadth and depth it currently enjoys. Meanwhile, we have numerous mechagnomes of the rogue, warrior, and hunter classes.

Tauren:
    Druids aren't iconic? Surely you jest. Especially when even their priests and paladins are confirmed in-lore to have begun as totemic off-shoots of their druidic teachings, embracing An'she as a totem for the Light instead of only focusing on Mu'sha as a totem for Elune. Their cultural emphasis on shamanism and druidism is part of why the tauren have always been famous moderates between the factions, enjoying friendly relations with the night elves until recently and typically among the first to work across faction lines for a good cause.

Goblin:
    Good catch. I did forget Goblin.

Zandalari:
    Paladin is a no-brainer. The Zandalari worshipped Rezan, who had strong connotations with the Light, and the Zandalari Paladins continue to exhibit this connection even after Rezan's death.

Undead:
    Warrior is an easy one. The Deathguards that litter Forsaken zones are warriors, are we to say now that the numerous guards and soldiers aren't part of a race's iconic image? Warlock, again, seems a no-brainer to me, not only because of the Forsaken lack of ethical barriers on such practices, but also because the 'iconic' Forsaken used for the Vanilla cinematic was himself a Warlock.

Blood Elf:
    This is actually a fair point, one I'll chalk up to not sleeping enough when I made the post--priest was my brain switcherooing the two words on me.

Nightborne:
    Again, the question here is 'iconic.' Suramar was chock-full of nightborne warlocks parlaying with demons for power, and huntresses patrolling the city and surrounding lands for insurgents. I would argue both are as iconic to the race as the mages.

Pandaren:
    Rogue: The Shado-Pan aren't just monks. They also count warriors, mages, and rogues among them. Taran Zhu's right hand, Taoshi, is a member of the Uncrowned and her skillset is far more roguelike than alluding to any monk discipline.

Shaman: Shaman play an integral part of life in the Wandering Isle, with elemental spirits holding places of honor in their culture.

Priest: The August Celestials (the faction, not the demigods themselves) are very clearly a priest order. The Golden Lotus also hews more strongly to priests than monks.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Lots to cover here so I'll break down by race. I've nothing against what you added, but I'll explain why I put in the ones you removed.

Gnome:
    I put mage in because the gnomes in Ironforge count no few mages among their number. Also, Tinker is not a confirmed class. Gnomes' talent for Engineering is already covered by their racial stats and being an engineer does not preclude being a mage.

Worgen:
    I fail to see what confuses you about worgen warriors and priests being iconic. The Gilnean soldiers were integral to stalling both the worgen and later in helping fight back the Forsaken. Never mind their contributions to the Second War. And Gilneas obviously values its priesthood, with the cathedral being the centerpiece of Gilneas City and the largest, most eye-catching structure in Gilneas proper.

Draenei:
    They have an entire wing of their capital, and an entire subculture, dedicated to shamanism thanks to the efforts of Nobundo. Not every draenei is a Light-wielding zealot and shamanism isn't some minor side-gig they have going on like the Rangari used to be.

Dark Iron:
    If you don't remember the droves of paladin mobs in Blackrock Depths you weren't paying attention. Dark Iron shaman are also a strong contender for iconic given the race's close association with fire elementals even after their liberation from direct enslavement by Ragnaros.

Kul'Tiran:
    Your criteria for iconic seems pretty arbitrary, to be bluntly honest. The most iconic Kul'Tiran in the lore is a mage, and the Tidesages present both shamanic and mage elements in their numbers. Also, the Drust druids may be small in number but they are one of the most stand-out elements of Kul'Tiran culture, which is kind of how 'iconic' works.

Mechagnomes:
    Again, right now there's no indication 'Tinker' is a legitimate class while Engineering exists as a profession with the breadth and depth it currently enjoys. Meanwhile, we have numerous mechagnomes of the rogue, warrior, and hunter classes.

Tauren:
    Druids aren't iconic? Surely you jest. Especially when even their priests and paladins are confirmed in-lore to have begun as totemic off-shoots of their druidic teachings, embracing An'she as a totem for the Light instead of only focusing on Mu'sha as a totem for Elune. Their cultural emphasis on shamanism and druidism is part of why the tauren have always been famous moderates between the factions, enjoying friendly relations with the night elves until recently and typically among the first to work across faction lines for a good cause.

Goblin:
    Good catch. I did forget Goblin.

Zandalari:
    Paladin is a no-brainer. The Zandalari worshipped Rezan, who had strong connotations with the Light, and the Zandalari Paladins continue to exhibit this connection even after Rezan's death.

Undead:
    Warrior is an easy one. The Deathguards that litter Forsaken zones are warriors, are we to say now that the numerous guards and soldiers aren't part of a race's iconic image? Warlock, again, seems a no-brainer to me, not only because of the Forsaken lack of ethical barriers on such practices, but also because the 'iconic' Forsaken used for the Vanilla cinematic was himself a Warlock.

Blood Elf:
    This is actually a fair point, one I'll chalk up to not sleeping enough when I made the post--priest was my brain switcherooing the two words on me.

Nightborne:
    Again, the question here is 'iconic.' Suramar was chock-full of nightborne warlocks parlaying with demons for power, and huntresses patrolling the city and surrounding lands for insurgents. I would argue both are as iconic to the race as the mages.

Pandaren:
    Rogue: The Shado-Pan aren't just monks. They also count warriors, mages, and rogues among them. Taran Zhu's right hand, Taoshi, is a member of the Uncrowned and her skillset is far more roguelike than alluding to any monk discipline.

Shaman: Shaman play an integral part of life in the Wandering Isle, with elemental spirits holding places of honor in their culture.

Priest: The August Celestials (the faction, not the demigods themselves) are very clearly a priest order. The Golden Lotus also hews more strongly to priests than monks.
    Some good points
    I agree on

Worgen warriors, without a doubt
    Kul'tiran druids very unique, decinitely iconic
    Undead warrior
    Dark Iron Paladin - tbh I wouldn't call them iconic
    Pandaren Priest - okay, it is iconic enough, common misconception Pandas are just monks.
    Tauren Druids: I wont use the barely significant priest/pala as support, Tauren as druids happen, I suspect we only feel they are common because it's been from the start, but you seldom see the Tauren druids amongst most Tauren groups. Amongst druids, yes, but as part of Taurens normally? They are rare amongst Tauren, but the way they're used in lore in game is iconic. The tauren druid like the kul'tiran while rare is very iconic because it is rare. Fully agree.

Not convinced about
    Kul'tiran mages because Tidesage seems to not be arcane related but elemental which leans shaman even if not traditional ones. Mages can operate water which is Jaina can do what she does, but she does it as Lord Admiral not as Tidesage which she isnt or mage.

Zandalari Paladin - the explanation is acceptable to justify the class, but not iconic. I didnt notice Rezan's followers having Paladin in his quest chain, and not seeing any from the other Loa, though I'm aware that some Loa do head classes. Also Rezan is dead, not good news for followers or the class, and they arent disti guided by anything extraordinary

Dark Iron Shaman - those elemental handlers and casters seemed like mages not shaman, DI's having shamanism makes sorta sense if you can view them like that, but we knew them for being the Dwarven mages and warlocks, which is why I was surprised when dwarf got those classes without Dark Irons.

Pandaren Rogue - I feel there are more facets to the monk than the class shows which is why you should have that off the list, what classes can do in lore or even npc doeant always make the full class, dont forget there are many npc classes too

Mechagnome and Gnome: Tinker is a class in most of warcraft, just not in wow as playable so not sure on your explanation, maybe you are right, but Mechagnomes didnt have any class standing out as iconic to me, and I hit revered their on 4 toons. They really seemed their own thinker versions of everything , not standing out in a thing except it was all meachanised.

Disagree On
    Gnome Mage - only ones I recall seeing outside trainers were in Dalaran.
    Nightborne hunter and warlock. Nothing iconic about them, what need is there for a hunter trapped under a dome, their existence shows they can be, not that it is iconic. And lock too, most felborne were wiped out but both these only become a thing after the shield comes down. There warriors as spellblades are more iconic, even if the class doeant reflect this.

Panda Shaman, a dodgy shamanistic connection mainly on 3 temple points doesnt really strike me as iconic tbh, do we even see any on the mainland
    Last edited by Mace; 2020-06-29 at 05:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Mace If memory serves, the Bronzebeard mages were the result of cultural cross-pollination with the gnomes, much as the gnome priests came about from exposure to the dwarf priests (although the gnomes took a much more methodical approach to their priesthood rather than faith-based). The warlocks probably have similar roots, especially seeing how long the Gnomeregan refugees lived in dwarven territory, as well as the dwarves' long-standing closeness with the humans made even closer thanks to the Deeprun Tram.

Additionally, all three clans had a presence in Ironforge thanks to the Council of Three Hammers, which would accelerate the spread of shamans, mages, and warlocks among the Bronzebeard dwarves who grow curious about or fascinated by their cousins' strange ways.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

15+ Year Old Account
    It's funny, Blizzard has a holiday achievement that basically defines the most iconic core race for each class, at least at the time it came out, which I think was Wrath.

Human Death Knight
    Dwarf Hunter
    Night Elf Priest
    Gnome Warlock
    Draenei Paladin

Orc Shaman
    Tauren Druid
    Troll Rogue
    Undead Warrior
    Blood Elf Mage

You can also look at the old Horde/Alliance comic book cast, and the toylines, as these combinations were chosen because they were iconic enough to sell products.

Human: Warrior, Mage, Priest, Paladin
    Dwarf: Warrior
    Night Elf: Druid, Hunter
    Gnome: Warrior, Rogue, Warlock
    Draenei: Paladin, Mage
    Worgen: Warrior, Rogue

Orc: Hunter, Shaman, Warrior, Rogue
    Tauren: Warrior, Shaman, Hunter
    Troll: Priest, Druid, Hunter
    Undead: Warlock, Rogue, Priest
    Blood Elf: Rogue, Paladin
    Goblin: Tinker

Obviously there are also the many faction leaders to look at, and the analogues for WC2 and WC3 units and hero units.

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    @Mace If memory serves, the Bronzebeard mages were the result of cultural cross-pollination with the gnomes, much as the gnome priests came about from exposure to the dwarf priests (although the gnomes took a much more methodical approach to their priesthood rather than faith-based). The warlocks probably have similar roots, especially seeing how long the Gnomeregan refugees lived in dwarven territory, as well as the dwarves' long-standing closeness with the humans made even closer thanks to the Deeprun Tram.

Additionally, all three clans had a presence in Ironforge thanks to the Council of Three Hammers, which would accelerate the spread of shamans, mages, and warlocks among the Bronzebeard dwarves who grow curious about or fascinated by their cousins' strange ways.
    Yes, that's a good point, and prob why blizz did that in lore. Gnome priesthood makes me smile

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    It's funny, Blizzard has a holiday achievement that basically defines the most iconic core race for each class, at least at the time it came out, which I think was Wrath.

Human Death Knight
    Dwarf Hunter
    Night Elf Priest
    Gnome Warlock
    Draenei Paladin

Orc Shaman
    Tauren Druid
    Troll Rogue
    Undead Warrior
    Blood Elf Mage

You can also look at the old Horde/Alliance comic book cast, and the toylines, as these combinations were chosen because they were iconic enough to sell products.
    Then why dont we see night elf mages?

Night elf hunter Legoras with corrupted ashbringer cuz hutner loot

Bearded human paladin with a mace is really iconic.

Herald of the Titans Amaterasu65's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Warrior: Orc
    Paladin: Human, Draenei=Blood Elf
    Death Knight: Human
    Hunter: Blood Elf, Night Elf
    Shaman: Orc, Tauren
    Druid: Night Elf
    Rogue: Undead, Blood Elf, Troll
    Demon Hunter: Night Elf
    Mage: Human, maybe Elves (all kind)
    Warlock: Orc
    Priest: Human, Night Elf, Draenei
    Last edited by Amaterasu65; 2020-06-29 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Then why dont we see night elf mages?
    Because Night Elf Mages came out in Cataclysm. This was a WotLK thing.

Not everything in WoW has to be associated with night elf mages.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanaria View Post
    Because Night Elf Mages came out in Cataclysm. This was a WotLK thing.
    Night elf mage is iconic. There are 3 book volumes on them. We meet many in classic, tons more in Legion. Cataclysm is not the first time we meet them we just get to play as one. If we are only considering races and classes we played before cataclysm.

Then many of these choices are meaningless, including every race introduced since. Why put the bar at cataclysm, why not put it at classic then? Which means forget blood elves and draenei too. But typically with you, when it comes to night elven mages it's one rule. I didn't see the OP state only pre-wotlk playable iterations please. Cos no, we're in the present

Not everything in WoW has to be associated with night elf mages.
    No, it isn't, you're correct on that. But how is mentioning an iconic race/class combo somehow associating everything with night elf mages when it is very applicable to the topic at hand and actually is missing? But since you seem to keep stepping out and intentionally challenging every mention of it made in very appropriate places of discusson - you must ask yourself that question. Almost as if you are campaigining for Nelf mage replacement ideology/history.

FYI, that was not what I mean when I responded to Kathranis

Because it was a holiday achievement during the WoTLK era, for playable race/class combos.

Night Elf Mage wasn't a playable race/class combo at that time.
    Blood Elf Mages were and that is why they were and still are, considered "iconic."

During the WoTLK era, the Blood Elf Mages had the Sunreavers, a primarily "Mage" faction of Blood Elves, with a few Orcs and Undead. They also founded Quel'Delar as well as helped out with the Argent Tournament and gave the Horde a voice, for being in Dalaran.

And people don't read the books. We do, because we're lore nerds, but the vast majority of the playerbase don't. For those people, night elf mage isn't iconic. If somebody said "I want to be an elf mage" people would just go straight to Blood Elf or Nightborne because they hold a large presence in the game.
    Last edited by Tanaria; 2020-06-29 at 12:53 PM.

Because it was a holiday achievement during the WoTLK era, for playable race/class combos.

Night Elf Mage wasn't a playable race/class combo at that time.
    Blood Elf Mages were and that is why they were and still are, considered "iconic."

During the WoTLK era, the Blood Elf Mages had the Sunreavers, a primarily "Mage" faction of Blood Elves, with a few Orcs and Undead. They also founded Quel'Delar as well as helped out with the Argent Tournament and gave the Horde a voice, for being in Dalaran.

And people don't read the books. We do, because we're lore nerds, but the vast majority of the playerbase don't. For those people, night elf mage isn't iconic. If somebody said "I want to be an elf mage" people would just go straight to Blood Elf or Nightborne because they hold a large presence in the game.
    Fair enough. My bad. You did understand what I was referring to, and answered correctly, I just didn't see it. apologies. you are correct.