Thread: Baldurs Gate 3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by burek View Post
    Or if they have simply done more to differentiate the name of the game, they wouldn't have gotten any backlash at all.
    Why would they do that?

It's a Baldur's Gate sequel, in terms of story.
    Officially requested by and sanctioned by Wizards of the Coast.
    They have every reason and right to use the name.

Quote Originally Posted by burek View Post
    Or if they have simply done more to differentiate the name of the game, they wouldn't have gotten any backlash at all.
    Why? It's the sequel to Baldurs Gate 2. Set in the Forgotten Realms universe.

All they need to do is differentiate the art style, mechanics and general UI and gameplay more.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDays View Post
    Why? It's the sequel to Baldurs Gate 2. Set in the Forgotten Realms universe.

All they need to do is differentiate the art style, mechanics and general UI and gameplay more.
    I don't understand, why do they even have to differentiate anything?
    DOS is the Baldurs Gate prototype. If Larian got the license earlier, that's how BG3 would've looked like (only with more D&D mechanics on top).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

Unrelated note, the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon never got a finale meaning those kids are still trapped there to this day... I am just saying there's a good premise for a Hollywood story in that fact :P

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    I don't understand, why do they even have to differentiate anything?
    DOS is the Baldurs Gate prototype. If Larian got the license earlier, that's how BG3 would've looked like (only with more D&D mechanics on top).
    Have you not played Baldur's Gate ?

DOS <> Baldur's Gate. Yes, they are both isometric RPGs, but so is Fallout 2.

The defining features Larian brings to the table from DOS --> BG3 in my estimation is locking the player into a selection of a few... very specific and detailed.... character backgrounds.... and their heavy reliance on environmental systems... and while I can appreciate that there are players out there that enjoy those aspects, that's specifically something I enjoy seeing introduced into the Baldur's Gate franchise.

It also doesn't help that afaik I can't import my old characters or continue their story, even though I keep seeing people claim that this is a sequel and continuation of their story.

While I acknowledge that there's absolutely nothing to prevent them from naming this game however they want, I feel like the Forgotten Realms is a big place, and they could have easily placed this game in a newly minted franchise and underserved region of the world. Has Waterdeep ever made an appearance in a computer game ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post

The defining features Larian brings to the table from DOS --> BG3 in my estimation is locking the player into a selection of a few... very specific and detailed.... character backgrounds....
    They've stated you can make a custom character. The included characters have their own stories to experience directly, if you pick them. It's an additional option, not something taken away.

It also doesn't help that afaik I can't import my old characters or continue their story, even though I keep seeing people claim that this is a sequel and continuation of their story.
    The Bhaalspawn's story ended decades ago.
    That doesn't mean the events of that narrative arc ended with the Bhaalspawn. They've clearly stated the events here are the direct consequence of how BG 1/2/TOB played out. And that there will be recurring characters.

I'll note that the game series is called "Baldur's Gate", not "Bhaalspawn".

While I acknowledge that there's absolutely nothing to prevent them from naming this game however they want, I feel like the Forgotten Realms is a big place, and they could have easily placed this game in a newly minted franchise and underserved region of the world. Has Waterdeep ever made an appearance in a computer game ?
    Multiple, when you tie in Undermountain.

Have they said anything about if there will be anything before you start a character that let's you pick choices that happened in BG1 and 2? It probably does not matter because of how much later 3 takes place.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    They've stated you can make a custom character. The included characters have their own stories to experience directly, if you pick them. It's an additional option, not something taken away.
    Any confirmation that this isn't just what they did in the past, where you could create a "custom" character, but you still had to choose one of the backstories ?

The Bhaalspawn's story ended decades ago.
    Then that's where the game should have ended.

That doesn't mean the events of that narrative arc ended with the Bhaalspawn. They've clearly stated the events here are the direct consequence of how BG 1/2/TOB played out. And that there will be recurring characters.
    And a !@#$ton of Forgotten Realms products & games are a "direct consequence" of the Time of Troubles, but that's not enough to make them all sequels of each other. It's worth noting that Drizzt is present in Baldur's Gate, but you wouldn't go around calling this a continuation of his series or anything, its just taking place in the same universe with the same events. None of the "recurring characters" are so large that they wouldn't fit equally well into Icewind Dale 3 or Hillsfar 2. Yes, even you Boo.

I feel like the only way I could be satisfied with this being a continuation of the originals is if the Bhaalspawn is either the bigbadguy pulling the strings, or the hero's patron.... but that still has issues. Namely that it retroactively steals any agency over the choices my character made in the previous entries.

I'll note that the game series is called "Baldur's Gate", not "Bhaalspawn".
    I'll note that most of the series didn't even involve Baldur's Gate, the point of cohesion in the franchise was always the Bhaalspawn, not the location.

- - - Updated - - -

Multiple, when you tie in Undermountain.
    Any worth recommending ?

Then don't play this one if you feel that way? The city of Baldur's Gate is still around well over 100+ years after the events of BG1/2. The spellplague of 4th edition is over and it is well in the 5th edition setting now.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll note that most of the series didn't even involve Baldur's Gate, the point of cohesion in the franchise was always the Bhaalspawn, not the location.
    Fair enough but I'm fine with it as it takes place and has come continuation with the events of BG1/2.

- - - Updated - - -

I feel like the only way I could be satisfied with this being a continuation of the originals is if the Bhaalspawn is either the bigbadguy pulling the strings, or the hero's patron.... but that still has issues. Namely that it retroactively steals any agency over the choices my character made in the previous entries.
    Feels kind of Dragon Age to me where Inquisition basically marginalized many of the choices made in the prior games.

7+ Year Old Account
    So, Final Fantasy series should have ended with it's first game, by that logic? Or, closer to home, first Neverwinter Night's?

Again, because some people have difficulties grasping this definition:

"A sequel is a work of literature, film, theatre, television, music or video game that continues the story of, or expands upon, some earlier work. In the common context of a narrative work of fiction, a sequel portrays events set in the same fictional universe as an earlier work, usually chronologically following the events of that work."
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2020-06-28 at 09:21 AM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some will be outraged or angry or defiant over everything, while others will just play the game and have fun with it. That's how it works. All this trash going on in this topic is just the usual MMO-C back and forth where nobody will move an inch anyway and it will continue until the end of times, really.

Both sides will conjure their arguments and counter arguments that will be promptly dismissed by "I think not", which won't stop the sides from piling on more crap trying to establish whether the water is wet and Earth is round or flat.

It's really simple - if the game's fun it's good, if it's not - it's not. Only some true edgelords care whether it's 100% D&D or 89.7% D&D and whether it's a true BG2 successor by whatever standards they conjured or reskinned D:OS3.

I, personally, don't care either way - if the game lives up to my high expectations from Larian - then it will be brilliant, even if it makes some people here roleplay a tomato because it's 92.3% D&D or any other nonsense. If the game ends up shit - no D&D or BG label will save it either, so again does not matter.

Grinding water here, literally.

If the game doesnt have that bullshit armor system like dos2 ,good.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haosmash View Post
    If the game doesnt have that bullshit armor system like dos2 ,good.
    It doesn't.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Unrelated note, the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon never got a finale meaning those kids are still trapped there to this day... I am just saying there's a good premise for a Hollywood story in that fact :P
    It's a little old but this car commercial has them escaping. If you have not seen it, it's really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmCTtom62HM

As far as the game goes. It's one ill follow and check out. I don't pre-order anything anymore but this is a game worth keeping up with to see if it's worth a purchase. I don't think they can capture the P&P tabletop feel but no game really can. If it's a good story and the game is entertaining, they can get close enough to that D&D feel that being a little off wont matter. It's one of the few games on my radar.
    Last edited by quras; 2020-06-29 at 01:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    It's a little old but this car commercial has them escaping. If you have not seen it, it's really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmCTtom62HM
    I don't care what anyone says, thats canon now. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I don't care what anyone says, thats canon now. Thanks for sharing.
    Apparently down in South America (maybe Brazil...?) they are still huge fans of the cartoon and that commercial shows it. There is a making of that commercial somewhere out there you might could still find if you wanted.

I could easily see a movie made out of that cartoon and it having a real chance of being a success if it got the right treatment.

Enough Hijacking. Back to your scheduled BG3.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Apparently down in South America (maybe Brazil...?) they are still huge fans of the cartoon and that commercial shows it. There is a making of that commercial somewhere out there you might could still find if you wanted.

I could easily see a movie made out of that cartoon and it having a real chance of being a success if it got the right treatment.

Enough Hijacking. Back to your scheduled BG3.
    If they ever did a live action Hollywood remake of that cartoon, none would come close to how faithful that commercial was. :P

But I agree back to BG3 :P

Why do you quote my comment to a completely different topic?

I'm saying:
    Just because DOS exists, BG3 should look and play different from DOS? Why?

I mean, if Larian got the license earlier and when they requested it the first time, BG3 would've looked like DOS and DOS wouldn't exist.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2020-06-29 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Honestly I'd say the worldbuilding philosophy between Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 was vastly different.
    Definitely prefered the "everywhere has a tile and you have to fight (or run) your way through them to get places" style of map (with all sorts of hidden side quests on each one) of BG1 to the "As soon as you leave Athkatla you can get to your destination easy unless you have one of our 5 scripted "random" encounters" style of BG2. Probably my biggest complaint about the second compared to the first. That and there were more companions in the first one so that you could wear them more loosely as opposed to the "we're in this to the end ol' pal" style of companions of BG2. Makes perma-death in the second more "this means a reload" whereas in the first you could lose a guy forever and a chapter down the line replace them with a similar roled hero.

(I know that isn't really what you meant by worldbuilding as you explained in your post, just adding a few cents ;p)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Definitely prefered the "everywhere has a tile and you have to fight (or run) your way through them to get places" style of map (with all sorts of hidden side quests on each one) of BG1 to the "As soon as you leave Athkatla you can get to your destination easy unless you have one of our 5 scripted "random" encounters" style of BG2. Probably my biggest complaint about the second compared to the first. That and there were more companions in the first one so that you could wear them more loosely as opposed to the "we're in this to the end ol' pal" style of companions of BG2. Makes perma-death in the second more "this means a reload" whereas in the first you could lose a guy forever and a chapter down the line replace them with a similar roled hero.

(I know that isn't really what you meant by worldbuilding as you explained in your post, just adding a few cents ;p)
    Eh, I never liked all those BG1 empty locations with 1-2 points of interest each.