Page 1 of 2
LastLast

It's Quel'danis city not Silvermoon

3 easy reasons

1. The Suwnell beam of light bursting through it
    2. The older kaldorei looking buildings and structures
    3. Silvermoon looks nothing like it

It looks like it's on an island too.

They used the Sunwell to build Silvermoon, so it makes sense that this city was actually built first, and over time.
    The older kaldorei looking buildings also back this up, they first settlers were night elves transitioning into high elves during their journey, their first buildings would have been very kaldorei looking and as they established a new identity for themselves they would have altered and adapted their style to the more unique one we get.

Makes sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I think it is more likely that Silvermoon proper is or was more than just the walled environs we see in-game. Before the Third War and most of Silvermoon's destruction it probably expanded outwards beyond the city center (the zone Silvermoon City is today), with Quel'Danas and other noteworthy locales like the Sanctums of the Stars and Sun, or the Sunsail Anchorage all being part of the greater metropolitan area. Following the city's reconstruction a lot of that infrastructure has yet to be rebuilt - so things looks a bit more distributed and remote than they once were.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

That picture is most likely a representation of Sunwell Plateau, the sprawling fortress that protects the Sunwell. The Sunwell Plateau was already very big in-game (it was even a raid), thus lorewise it would truly be a massive location, easily resembling a city. The image is seen from Silvermoon City, as evidenced by the harbor in the lower part of the picture (Silvermoon is a harbor city).

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    That picture is most likely a representation of Sunwell Plateau, the sprawling fortress that protects the Sunwell. The Sunwell Plateau was already very big in-game (it was even a raid), thus lorewise it would truly be a massive location, easily resembling a city. The image is seen from Silvermoon City, as evidenced by the harbor in the lower part of the picture (Silvermoon is a harbor city).
    Yeh, my thinking too, it's the image from Silvermoon, I think if they properly rebuild Quel'thalas, there would be at least 2 cities. Sunwell Plateau city or Quel'danas city and Silvermoon city.

Yes, that pic is from Silvermoon looking north to Quel'danas. It was retconned in the belf heritage quest that Arthas created a path of ice over the water to Quel'danas. (Example of a good retcon, because it's really cool.)

That picture shows that Quel'danas is pretty much part of Silvermoon, with the water between them only being the width of a bay.
    Last edited by kansor; 2022-04-10 at 10:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by matrix123mko View Post
    She lost against Arthas for purpose. She wanted to feed Quel'thalas to hungering darkness.

Hundreds of years of High Elves evolving their structures + Arthas' invasion upon Quel'thala kinda makes that picture seem...irrelevant now? Silvermoon now is nothing more than a fraction of what it once was.

Quel'thalas has always referred to the larger collection of lands that fall under the kingdom of the elves that Eversong Woods, the Ghostlands, and Silvermoon are a part of as the forests north of Lordaeron. It is a little weird it's still named SILVER-MOON despite its occupants regarding themselves as Blood Elves now as it is their capital. Something like Redsun City or Goldensun City or Crimsonsun City would probably be more appropriate thematically, but it would probably also be pretty insensitive to the survivors of the Scourge invasion who have held onto their homes for so long to change it, but on the other hand they changed what they were called to Blood Elves as a sign of honor to those that fell - so tomato: tomato.

Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    Quel'thalas has always referred to the larger collection of lands that fall under the kingdom of the elves that Eversong Woods, the Ghostlands, and Silvermoon are a part of as the forests north of Lordaeron. It is a little weird it's still named SILVER-MOON despite its occupants regarding themselves as Blood Elves now as it is their capital. Something like Redsun City or Goldensun City or Crimsonsun City would probably be more appropriate thematically, but it would probably also be pretty insensitive to the survivors of the Scourge invasion who have held onto their homes for so long to change it, but on the other hand they changed what they were called to Blood Elves as a sign of honor to those that fell - so tomato: tomato.
    It's called Silvermoon because it's a ripoff of Forgotten Realms, not because of lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by matrix123mko View Post
    She lost against Arthas for purpose. She wanted to feed Quel'thalas to hungering darkness.

I'm not sure who thought it was Silvermoon anyway, but I suppose one could argue that could have been the back of Silvermoon, looking out over the sea.

I always presumed it was Quel'Danas anyway, due to the emphasis of the light spark at the top of the building.

Give Silvermoon to Void/High Elves and re-purpose the Isle of Quel'Danas as Blood Elf capital.

Win/win!

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post

3 easy reasons

1. The Suwnell beam of light bursting through it
    2. The older kaldorei looking buildings and structures
    3. Silvermoon looks nothing like it

It looks like it's on an island too.

They used the Sunwell to build Silvermoon, so it makes sense that this city was actually built first, and over time.
    The older kaldorei looking buildings also back this up, they first settlers were night elves transitioning into high elves during their journey, their first buildings would have been very kaldorei looking and as they established a new identity for themselves they would have altered and adapted their style to the more unique one we get.

Makes sense.
    Apart from this is the Isle of Quel'Danas though, and not Silvermoon - they're separate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Give Silvermoon to Void/High Elves and re-purpose the Isle of Quel'Danas as Blood Elf capital.

Win/win!
    Elven civilization belongs to the horde. Alliance elves have forests, and do ranger stuff. So no. Besides it's clear that blizzard wants the horde to be the major elf faction - you alliance people just wanna grab horde stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by kansor View Post
    Yes, that pic is clearly from Silvermoon looking north to the Sunwell isle. It was retconned in the belf heritage quest that Arthas created a path of ice over the water to Quel'danas.

That picture shows that Quel'danas is pretty much part of Silvermoon, with the water between them only being the width of a bay, rather than as far as it is implied to be ingame. Different boroughs, or maybe like Oakland and San Francisco, but part of the same metropolitan area.
    It was retconned long before the heritage quest. I'm pretty sure him freezing the water to make a path towards the Sunwell was also in the Rise of the Lich King book which came out sometime during Wrath of the Lich King.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius
    Alas, sweet prince! You hath received thine own ass handed to ye.

Elven civilization belongs to the horde. Alliance elves have forests, and do ranger stuff. So no. Besides it's clear that blizzard wants the horde to be the major elf faction - you alliance people just wanna grab horde stuff.
    What evidence is that? Alliance had Night Elves first, then Horde got Blood Elves, then at the same time they both got an elf race.

Correction, grabbed elf stuff. We got Void Elves and now High Elf skins.

Quote Originally Posted by kammo View Post
    What evidence is that? Alliance had Night Elves first, then Horde got Blood Elves, then at the same time they both got an elf race.
    But blizzard moved High elves over to the horde in the blood elves, and only kept a watered down version on the alliance.

Blizzard also moved the night elven civilization and arcane mastery to the horde via the Nightborne, while they kept Highborne on the alliance, they don't do anything, they don't build anything, and we don't even know how good the Shen'dralar are, the only thing they show for night elves is forests and druids/hunters.

Same with high elves, most high elves you see fighting for the alliance are hunters, they don't have a home of their own, they have no assets.

You may not like it, you may not agree with it, but blizzard has developed elves on the horde a lot more substantially in WoW.. the vast majority of the alliance elf stuff came before wow or out of wow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Correction, grabbed elf stuff. We got Void Elves and now High Elf skins.
    It's token. They give you playable options, but they don't develop anything more. Void elves have no home, no assets, no infrastructure. Night elves also have no home, no cities, and no forests either.

When it comes to the alliance, blizzard develops humans. Stormwind is the alliance capital, Boralus it's second major city. All the other races function around stormwind. Because the alliance is human developed.

This is what blizzard wants. Alliance is humans 80%, and 20% the others, but most elven development, expansion, involvement is no the horde. Anyway, Darkshore warfront and high elf skins we all know are only there because Alliance fans whinged so much. If they hadn't, we both know it would not have come, meaning blizzard was not planning to develop it for you.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sorry, alliance elf fans hate me, because I tell it how it is, and they don't like hearing it. They write elaborate fantasies of how amazing their elven faction is, and how it should have cities, and arcane magic, power, magical wells, magical trees and all that stuff - but the reality is that blizzard themselves has removed these things from the alliance, but has them active and pressing on on the horde.

Some horde fans can't handle it, but the days of the horde being Orcs, trolls, tauren and Goblin identity are LONG LONG gone, the horde has the power of the elves. The alliance has the humans. It's really humans vs elves. In a twist on LotR - although they may want to reconsider that stance. I actually think you guys should get an improvement on your elves. It's just sad atm, if only to stop the constant alliance elf posts crying for their lore to be shown on them.

So you see, i'm not opposed to you getting stuff, I'm just stating plainly what is fact, the elves are a horde thing now.

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's concept art.. so based as the concept for Silvermoon.

10+ Year Old Account
    This reminds me of a question I had back in BC: Prior to the Scourging, given their proximity, wouldn't the high elves have considered Quel'Danas to have been part of Silvermoon City? Especially since it would be overwhelmingly strange to have two metropolis-level cities within a stone's throw of one another; one sprawling city going from mainland Silvermoon to the Isle of Quel'Danas seems much more reasonable.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

But blizzard moved High elves over to the horde in the blood elves, and only kept a watered down version on the alliance.

Blizzard also moved the night elven civilization and arcane mastery to the horde via the Nightborne, while they kept Highborne on the alliance, they don't do anything, they don't build anything, and we don't even know how good the Shen'dralar are, the only thing they show for night elves is forests and druids/hunters.

Same with high elves, most high elves you see fighting for the alliance are hunters, they don't have a home of their own, they have no assets.

You may not like it, you may not agree with it, but blizzard has developed elves on the horde a lot more substantially in WoW.. the vast majority of the alliance elf stuff came before wow or out of wow.

- - - Updated - - -

It's token. They give you playable options, but they don't develop anything more. Void elves have no home, no assets, no infrastructure. Night elves also have no home, no cities, and no forests either.

When it comes to the alliance, blizzard develops humans. Stormwind is the alliance capital, Boralus it's second major city. All the other races function around stormwind. Because the alliance is human developed.

This is what blizzard wants. Alliance is humans 80%, and 20% the others, but most elven development, expansion, involvement is no the horde. Anyway, Darkshore warfront and high elf skins we all know are only there because Alliance fans whinged so much. If they hadn't, we both know it would not have come, meaning blizzard was not planning to develop it for you.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sorry, alliance elf fans hate me, because I tell it how it is, and they don't like hearing it. They write elaborate fantasies of how amazing their elven faction is, and how it should have cities, and arcane magic, power, magical wells, magical trees and all that stuff - but the reality is that blizzard themselves has removed these things from the alliance, but has them active and pressing on on the horde.

Some horde fans can't handle it, but the days of the horde being Orcs, trolls, tauren and Goblin identity are LONG LONG gone, the horde has the power of the elves. The alliance has the humans. It's really humans vs elves. In a twist on LotR - although they may want to reconsider that stance. I actually think you guys should get an improvement on your elves. It's just sad atm, if only to stop the constant alliance elf posts crying for their lore to be shown on them.

So you see, i'm not opposed to you getting stuff, I'm just stating plainly what is fact, the elves are a horde thing now.
    Isn't your capital still 2D?

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    This reminds me of a question I had back in BC: Prior to the Scourging, given their proximity, wouldn't the high elves have considered Quel'Danas to have been part of Silvermoon City? Especially since it would be overwhelmingly strange to have two metropolis-level cities within a stone's throw of one another; one sprawling city going from mainland Silvermoon to the Isle of Quel'Danas seems much more reasonable.
    Like one mega amazing city of 2 halves - could well be. Afterall Suramar is similar, just that the other half sunk to the bottom of the ocean, and Aegwyn raised a little bit of it. Whiles the current in game version makes the distance large enough to be separate.. I wonder if i'ts like a New York/Jersey/ark thing or more a Gotham / Metropolis thing.

hadn't thought of that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hanibuhl View Post
    It's concept art.. so based as the concept for Silvermoon.
    Are so it's not official lore representation, just conceptualised

But it could have been the earlier version right (I know the nin-game version doesn't look like it much), but then blizzard completely upgrades old art so impressibely the new versions can look like different pieces altogether - (see TBC Draenei and WoD draenei, or classic Night elf vs Legion Night elf)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Isn't your capital still 2D?
    Wait for the update