View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Ah, the joy of watching people that believe that in negotiations, all the "give" is going to come from the party in a position of greater power. Except when it's us in a position of greater power, of course, then we can force the other party to move to our advantage.

How does your head contain this much cognitive dissonance without exploding like that guy in Scanners?

Still, either Boris climbs down and gets humiliated. Or we go ahead with no-deal Brexit and ALL the Brexit crew get humiliated. I'd rather the former, of course, but if the latter is our only choice....

The last time Boris was in a position like this, with a deadline looming, he signed a deal that was WORSE for us than the one May tried to get through, and sold out NI to the EU. He then sold it as a sucess to his gullible marks (eh dribbles?) afterwards, but no amount of lipstick was going to make that particular pig attractive. But he's going to need to make it as attractive as possible, because if he wants a deal he's going to need to go the proverbial Black Mirror on it.

Sorry, I just threw up in my mouth a little.
    The party who has nothing to fear from walking away with no deal is in the position of greater power.

The EU's unrealistic expectations have to change.

https://twitter.com/DavidGHFrost/sta...58484631949312

or effectively it is no deal. The UK negotiator could not be clearer.

Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    /slowclap ok troll.
    You're not really in a position to negotiate anything. We will drag on negotiatiations on trade for as long as we need and starve you.
    The thing you are interested in selling us. Services. Is an equivalence the EU can decide unilaterally.

UK sovereignty, over our laws, our courts, or our fishing waters, is of course not up for discussion.

https://twitter.com/DavidGHFrost/sta...58484631949312

This isn't trolling, it is the official UK position. No deal no problem. I'm not telling porkies you know...don't make the same mistake as the EU in that the UK finds it very very tempting to just walk away and if that happens, who says the EU will be granted the privilege of easy access to the services provided by the UK. And starve? You just read the fish are ours.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    You just read the fish are ours.
    Load of codswallop.

/thread

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    This isn't trolling, it is the official UK position. No deal no problem. I'm not telling porkies you know...don't make the same mistake as the EU in that the UK finds it very very tempting to just walk away and if that happens, who says the EU will be granted the privilege of easy access to the services provided by the UK. And starve? You just read the fish are ours.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Fisheries_Policy
    The combined EU fishing fleets land about 6 million tonnes of fish per year,[5] of which about 700,000 tonnes are from UK waters.[6] The UK's share of the overall EU fishing catch in 2014 was 752,000 tonnes, the second largest catch of any country in the EU.[7] This proportion is determined by the London Fisheries Convention of 1964 and by the EU's Common Fisheries Policy.
    Are you sure that is a win for you? Because it seems to me that 752 (what you fished under CFP) is > 700 (what was fished in uk waters) that year

Edit: Obviously if you suggest overfishing (read pissing in your pants in winters to keep warm) then that is a concern hard brexit or not
    Last edited by Xarkan; 2020-06-30 at 04:17 AM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    What's the point of overfishing anyway, where would they export that fish? Tariffs will make them lose the EU market and most other places already have their demand met either by cheaper and inferior product or by quality product acquired quite closer and therefore cheaper
    Also they are still going to import fish from places like the faroe islands

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Fisheries_Policy

Are you sure that is a win for you? Because it seems to me that 752 (what you fished under CFP) is > 700 (what was fished in uk waters) that year

Edit: Obviously if you suggest overfishing (read pissing in your pants in winters to keep warm) then that is a concern hard brexit or not
    We will not be in the CFP any more, or bound by its limits, it becomes irrelevant to the UK.

It is very simple, the EU cannot enjoy the same benefits it had when the UK was a member, it has to accept the consequences of us leaving and taking back control of UK waters. If the EU had listened and compromised before the brexit vote to the UK perhaps we wouldn't be where we are now. But it didn't, it failed yet again and we left.

Regarding fishing in UK waters now we hold all the cards. Unless the EU plan to invade and break all international maritime law.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

15+ Year Old Account
    We will not be in the CFP any more, or bound by its limits, it becomes irrelevant to the UK.

It is very simple, the EU cannot enjoy the same benefits it had when the UK was a member, it has to accept the consequences of us leaving and taking back control of UK waters. If the EU had listened and compromised before the brexit vote to the UK perhaps we wouldn't be where we are now. But it didn't, it failed yet again and we left.

Regarding fishing in UK waters now we hold all the cards. Unless the EU plan to invade and break all international maritime law.
    So, simple maths is already beyond your capabilities, yeah that explains a thing or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    And the same the other way around, you will not have access to EU waters.

It is a bad deal for Danish fishermen though but for the EU as a whole..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    If nothing else, I do get a chuckle from your wording sometimes.
    I'm still waiting on them to be actually martyred like the Spartans he referenced.. Or, you know, at least do something brave and powerful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just came across this nice read.

It's lovely to see how fucking dumb some people are.

https://imgur.com/gallery/jMSvzsG

7+ Year Old Account

Are you agreeing with me that the EU need our waters more than we need theirs?

https://www.sff.co.uk/we-must-leave-...at-the-latest/

Seems like Scotland's fishermen can't wait to leave the EU and the CFP. There's a spanner in rejoiner Nicola Sturgeons plans...

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Are you agreeing with me that the EU need our waters more than we need theirs?

https://www.sff.co.uk/we-must-leave-...at-the-latest/

Seems like Scotland's fishermen can't wait to leave the EU and the CFP. There's a spanner in rejoiner Nicola Sturgeons plans...
    No i am not

I am saying Denmark needed a deal between the UK and EU, there not being a deal will hurt Danish fishermen

The EU as a whole will loose less fishing in the waters that are uk than the uk looses in waters that are still eu.. according to the wiki article i linked earlier

10+ Year Old Account

Considering how short term all their policies are.

It's going to over fish the north sea, the reason why there are caps in the first place and the EU could still very much limit the amount of fish they allow to be imported, as that's just a standard practice to protect their own industries. Considering the UK won't have any note worthy trade deal with any nation those fisheries might be able to fish more but where they are going off load it all is something nobody is really wondering in the UK government apparently.

The whole fishing industry is simply a bargain chip for their financial sector anyway. I mean if they actually were capable of holding negotiations which the UK government apparently isn't doing so.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mystrome View Post
    Just came across this nice read.

It's lovely to see how fucking dumb some people are.

https://imgur.com/gallery/jMSvzsG
    But they have their sovereignty to be stuck in the UK for the rest of their lives. Why even move to the EU to retire if it's all such a dystopian and authoritarian place anyway.

I know i am trying to find logic among people that have none. Probably only the the tip of the iceberg.

I do really feel sorry for the Scots stuck in this situation due to the brits. Hopefully they can rejoin eventually and be rid of the tyranny out of London.

The party who has nothing to fear from walking away with no deal is in the position of greater power.
    I am impressed. dribbles finally said something that is true.
    Now the problem obviously is that he does not know who is who.
    But that sentence alone is indeed true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Some folks are just special.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    I know i am trying to find logic among people that have none. Probably only the the tip of the iceberg.
    Is is astounding how many dumb fucks end up voting against their own personal interests as a result of their own lack of knowledge and (racist) prejudices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystrome View Post
    Is is astounding how many dumb fucks end up voting against their own personal interests as a result of their own lack of knowledge and (racist) prejudices.
    Well apparently they figured that ending the freedom of movement, one of those big things the brexit crowd is in favour of somehow it didn't click in their heads that it meant all movement on their side included.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well apparently they figured that ending the freedom of movement, one of those big things the brexit crowd is in favour of somehow it didn't click in their heads that it meant all movement on their side included.
    Even then they've shot themselves in the foot further afterwards.

Many EU countries has schemes in place where British nationals can apply for more permanent residency permits, and the people in that link doesn't appear to have done that either after all this time.

I'm looking forward to the fishing industry (0.1% of GDP) making up the for the inevitable reduction in tax revenue taken from the financial services industry (6.9% of GDP) post WTO rules.

Also, we're going to have to get used to eating a lot more herring and a lot less cod.

The majority of fish eaten in the UK is imported. Some 83% of the cod consumed in the UK comes from abroad, alongside 58% of its haddock. The UK catch is 5% cod and 7% haddock, while the UK fleet catches a lot of herring, 93% of which is exported, mostly to Norway and the Netherlands.

https://www.dw.com/en/uk-fishing-ind...ngs/a-51418061

I don't mind a good rollmop but there's a time and a place. Not sure it'd be so nice in batter.

Any Swedes here can recommend Surströmming?

Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post

No, it's fucking awful, don't do it.

I do really feel sorry for the Scots stuck in this situation due to the ENGLISH.
    fixed that for you

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post

Yup, just prepare it properly.

Lots of videos on the internet of people ordering a can on the internet, and then taking a bite straight out of the can, not how it's supposed to be done, and even then it can be a bit of an acquired taste for some.