Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    you forgot to share the % of muscle tissue and body fat that you have.

because 160 pound may mean either :

1)muscular type with extremly low % of fat tissue

2)person with low % of muscular mas and high % of fat tissue.

both would have the same weight but would look completly different.

- - - Updated - - -

people really have no clue what calries value different types of foods have. snacks in particular. thats the biggest contributor to obesety - because so what f people "eat healthy " around 2k calories in healthy foods when they supplement it with additional 2k calories from snacks. and end up with 4k calories that they dont even realise they devaur.
    or better yet, they don't even snack, but the condiments they use with their healthy foods and amounts of those condiments they use - end up putting them into major surplus. don't even have to be unhealthy condiments. pour on some good olive oil into your salad, into your saute pen, dip your celery stick into peanut butter a little too generously, eat second serving of granola and/or some nuts etc etc and bam - you just ate more then you realized.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Oh i know this, was just using an average. It takes a good two weeks of tracking what you eat and weighing yourself to figure out your "maintenance calories" and even once you figure that out it is going to change depending on how active you are.

Also let's be fair 3000 calories as maintenance is for an average joe -high- my point was rather simple that even if you gobble up a lot of healthy foods you are still going to over eat and be obese and thus unhealthy.

Not just moderation is key but consistency, day in day out and doing something you can enforce on yourself.
    oh certainly (and part of the reason he can go that high is because he is extremely active and built up enough muscle mass to need those calories.)

as for calories and their differences. (this is reply to a different post, sorry)

thermic effect (meaning how many of ingested calories go into digesting of those calories) of protein is between 15 and 30%. thermic effect of carbs is about 10 to 15% thermic effect of fat is under 5%. but even for protein, its a relatively small portion of the calories you ingest.

and here is the problem with processed foods. its not that their calories get digested differently. its that our brain processes eating them differently. they don't give us that feeling of satiety, and instead trigger our brain to eat more. so you end up eating more. a calorie is still a calorie. as per above, a lot of times people simply don't realize just how MANY calories they consume, and its especially easy to lose track of with highly processed, highly tasty snacks.

another thing a lot of people do not know how to do is READ THE LABELS. servings in US especially are arbitrary. and servings on the label are much smaller then people realize, unless they specifically measure/weight them out. and that's why losing weight becomes so difficult for so many people. not because laws of thermodynamics work differently with processed foods.

and to reiterate SIMPLE concept =/= EASY execution.

Try intermittent fasting, and find a diet that works for you. Obviously don't eat unhealthy fast food but keto might work, I know some people do carnivore diet, maybe you may even go vegetarian or vegan. If you have any issues please talk to a doctor first!

Burn more carloies than you eat, whilst getting all the nutrition your body needs. It's very simple.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

It's always amusing people without muscle think how easy it is to put muscle on. It isn't, so the fear of "omgaz im afraid of becoming jacked" is nonexistent.

The simple version is calories in < calories out, but one of the most effective ways to improve calories out is by having muscles which are metabolic active.

Quote Originally Posted by david0925 View Post
    It's always amusing people without muscle think how easy it is to put muscle on. It isn't, so the fear of "omgaz im afraid of becoming jacked" is nonexistent.
    Yeah this is my favourite too. You think people accidentally become Ronnie Coleman? It takes years, a specifc kind of training, a ridiculous diet and genetics to actually get big big.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

I was never that overweight that it hindered me, or so i first figured. Over the course of a year i dropped around 18 kilo's and it makes a big difference, in pretty much every thing. Weight and health are most definitely related, people who claim otherwise are generally trying to look for justifications of their life style. A lot of people who consider themselves "just chubby" are actually obese, as in 20% or more body fat.

It's rather ironic that you advocate for a life of moderation but don't consider overweight to be a result of lack of moderation. You can also get fat on healthy foods, the whole "healthy foods" thing is a bit of misnomer because if you consumer over 2500 to 3000 calories of healthy food your are living a fairly unhealthy lifestyle also.
    No, I'm not advocating for overeating or overstarving or overanything yourself, just pointing out that if you feel comfortable in your own skin noone should tell you otherwise with some exceptions like the one I pointed out in the last post. People in the US don't die from being overweight, people die because they age, everyone dies, what is considered healthy lifestyle today maybe completely different tomorrow, people are different, everyone have their own genes and environment they live in, some are predisposed to some conditions, others are allergic to something, some are born with debilitating conditions, others are impaired by accident/trauma, what is good to some would be bad to others. Why do you think some people eat alot when they are stressed while others starve themselves? Everyone is different, this is my point.

Maybe instead of encouraging OP to lose weight we should encourage him to stay away from his computer? Don't you think that would arguable do more good including losing weight instead of bluntly telling that you should do this, this and this? How long do you think he is going to be in shape with such an approach? Noone knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Tic Tacs View Post
    No, I'm not advocating for overeating or overstarving or overanything yourself, just pointing out that if you feel comfortable in your own skin noone should tell you otherwise with some exceptions like the one I pointed out in the last post. People in the US don't die from being overweight, people die because they age, everyone dies, what is considered healthy lifestyle today maybe completely different tomorrow, people are different, everyone have their own genes and environment they live in, some are predisposed to some conditions, others are allergic to something, some are born with debilitating conditions, others are impaired by accident/trauma, what is good to some would be bad to others. Why do you think some people eat alot when they are stressed while others starve themselves? Everyone is different, this is my point.

Maybe instead of encouraging OP to lose weight we should encourage him to stay away from his computer? Don't you think that would arguable do more good including losing weight instead of bluntly telling that you should do this, this and this? How long do you think he is going to be in shape with such an approach? Noone knows.
    yes they do . just like people from around the world.

i get it - you are one of those people who think that if 40 year old morbidly obese man dies from hearth failure its because he had defective heart not because of clogged arteries , and people who have fat induced diabetes have it because of genetic reasons.

its pointless to have any discussions with people like you .

People in the US don't die from being overweight
    That's literally like saying nobody in the US dies from AIDS.

10+ Year Old Account

Sorry but this all reads far too much as defending a unhealthy life style and claiming it is healthy because it "feels" fine. There are plethora disease linked to obesity, it is perfectly fine to be fat and feel happy no harm in that but these last years you have these advocates much like you that consider obesity being healthy.

If you are above 20% body fat you are not healthy, that simply really.

It is not your genes, genes don't play nearly such a big part as people want them to be but i can understand why people do it, as it excuses themselves from personal responsibility about their health. People often also use gene's when they simply point to their parents or siblings, where as often it is the eating habits at home that play a far bigger role than your genes ever did. People have gotten increasingly fatter over the decades, you are free to believe that we are all some sort of magic new subhuman or you can accept that due to technological advances food has gotten easier to get and food in general has dropped in quality because that's what the market demanded for a long time, this however is now changing.

Also your allergies comment makes no sense, why would having certain allergies make you fat, if you have food allergies you would actual have to be more aware not less of what you eat..., eating disorders exist but so does therapy, we don't simply accept that addicts are a thing and give them free drugs now do we, because that's just the way they are? I mean again all you are doing is trying to defend something unhealthy as healthy because it feels great. Also this whole feeling thing, you might feel okay being fat in your 20's, you will feel less okay in your 30's, 40's and it decreases your quality of life significantly the older you get.

Why should we tell him to stay away from his computer? The internet is a great source of information and even support. Especially when it comes to health and fitness, considering how much bad information is out there him asking here will mean he can get filtered information already from people who went on that same path and it creates realistic expectations.

Your arguments are really paper thin my friend and i am not even sure why you willing to go through such lengths to come up with them to defend in all in all unhealthy attitude towards life.

Why should we tell him to stay away from his computer? The internet is a great source of information and even support. Especially when it comes to health and fitness, considering how much bad information is out there him asking here will mean he can get filtered information already from people who went on that same path and it creates realistic expectations.
    Why not? Do you know how many hours OP sits in front of the computer screen? It all goes back to the same argument of over doing something internet is no exception. Maybe, and I'm just saying maybe because I don't know anything about the OP, simply going out for an hour daily will solve all of his problems and make OP feel good about the weight and feeling good about yourself will make everything much easier. Maybe he will say, "Hey, life is beautiful, I'm going to exercise to compete in the marathon." Bluntly stating, "bro you should lose weight this way because it worked for me, doesn't serve any good."

10+ Year Old Account
    Why not? Do you know how many hours OP sits in front of the computer screen? It all goes back to the same argument of over doing something internet is no exception. Maybe, and I'm just saying maybe because I don't know anything about the OP, simply going out for an hour daily will solve all of his problems and make OP feel good about the weight and feeling good about yourself will make everything much easier. Maybe he will say, "Hey, life is beautiful, I'm going to exercise to compete in the marathon." Bluntly stating, "bro you should lose weight this way because it worked for me, doesn't serve any good."
    Bolded part is not what i said.

And i also don't see how one being active conflicts with asking and reading on this forum. You are simply creating more odd arguments.

Also you were the one who said that people don't die from being overweight, you were the one who said it is fine being overweight so long you feel fine, and now suddenly you are advocating against that? Okay.

Why are people in prison camps skinny? They work more, eat less. There's literally nothing more to it than that.

Eat healthy foods, don't feel stuffed, find an exercise that you can do daily so that when you weigh yourself, you've lost what you gained during the day.

Ignore all the other pseudo-bullshit. It takes work and self-discipline, there's no easy way around it.
    And you have to maintain that work and self discipline all your life.
    Took me 2 months of jogging ~25 mins almost every day and eating healthy almost every day to lose 4 kilos (8.8 lbs?).
    That regimen works for me, find one that works 4 u.
    Last edited by Michael Jackson; 2020-06-30 at 03:58 PM.

Also you were the one who said that people don't die from being overweight, you were the one who said it is fine being overweight so long you feel fine, and now suddenly you are advocating against that? Okay.
    Show me the post where I said obese is good, overweight is perfectly fine, you can go on vacation and gain some weight, come back to your regular lifestyle and lose that weight, have a stressful week at work and lose some weight and gain it back later, weight has no direct relationship with your health... it is like saying "damn I broke my finger, maybe I should fix it by cutting it off completely, no finger no problem."

Quote Originally Posted by david0925 View Post

The simple version is calories in < calories out, but one of the most effective ways to improve calories out is by having muscles which are metabolic active.
    The thing about putting muscle on it's that also ridiculously easy to lose it.

The body you worked to build for 3 months you can lose all those gains in a month if you stop training muscles.
    The body doesn't like to keep what it doesn't need, and unused muscles waste energy so the body will let them shrink and become smaller.

Show me the post where I said obese is good, overweight is perfectly fine, you can go on vacation and gain some weight, come back to your regular lifestyle and lose that weight, have a stressful week at work and lose some weight and gain it back later, weight has no direct relationship with your health... it is like saying "damn I broke my finger, maybe I should fix it by cutting it off completely, no finger no problem."
    underlined and bolded is breathtakingly FALSE.

weight does have direct relationship with your health. the fact that so do other things, does NOT somehow negate that. there is a host of issues that is directly caused by carrying excess weight. there is a set of diseases that are CAUSED by excess fat, especially visceral fat.

not everything is caused by fat. but that does not mean that nothing is.

your claim is kinda like saying that people don't die fro covid, they die from pneumonia... even though pneumonia they died from was CAUSED by covid. your whole claim that we all die anyway makes me think of someone who crosses the street without looking both ways because hey - we all die anyways. so lets just up our chances of death or reduced quality of life through injury, even though we don't have to.

oh and having your weight fluctuate like that constantly instead of keeping it generally steady? increases chances of several cancers.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jackson View Post
    The thing about putting muscle on it's that also ridiculously easy to lose it.

The body you worked to build for 3 months you can lose all those gains in a month if you stop training muscles.
    The body doesn't like to keep what it doesn't need, and unused muscles waste energy so the body will let them shrink and become smaller.
    a) you wont get any additional "visible" muscles in 3 months of workout. in 3 years - sure but 3 months - just lol
    b)thats not how muscle atrofy works.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    a) you wont get any additional "visible" muscles in 3 months of workout. in 3 years - sure but 3 months - just lol
    b)thats not how muscle atrofy works.
    If you do 2-3 sets of 10-15 pushups a today, 2 sets of 10 pulls ups, 2 sets of sit ups, and 15 mins of jogging, you will have visible muscle after only 3 weeks....the problem is that after those very fast 3 week gains, everything else comes slower, and that's when ppl get discouraged.

If I do the above, after 3 weeks my pecs, my arms, by abs all look much more noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jackson View Post
    If you do 2-3 sets of 10-15 pushups a today, 2 sets of 10 pulls ups, 2 sets of sit ups, and 15 mins of jogging, you will have visible muscle after only 3 weeks....the problem is that after those very fast 3 week gains, everything else comes slower, and that's when ppl get discouraged.

If I do the above, after 3 weeks my pecs, my arms, by abs all look much more noticeable.
    the reason why you will have "visible muslecs" is because of the a bit thinner fat tissue . not because you build up additional muscles.

you dont get more muscles in 3 weeks-

even most rip off adds never promise anything like this because what you are talking about is fantasy

TLDR: best tips if you dont want to track calories. eat 1 or 2 apples in the evening and thats it, you will basically cut one full meal out and that will help to get you in the caloric deficit. i weight 115kg when i was 16 and was at 85kg at 18 when i did this "diet"..

if you want try to go into the gym and build some muscle since more muscles will burn more calories and so it will increase the amount you can eat.

btw im counting calories since 6/7 years now and it helps alot, you can still be flexible with what you eat. get yourself some different day templates so that you can switch between different meals and days so it will be less boring.
    dont consume sugar drinks like cola/sprite or juices, stick to water and reward yourself with cola light or something so you dont get fluid calories in

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddleheart View Post
    That's literally like saying nobody in the US dies from AIDS.
    I mean, both are technically correct. You don't die from obesity or die from AIDS, you die from complications resulting from those conditions.