View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    No, it's fucking awful, don't do it.
    Hmms... yep. I'm fairly open-minded when it comes to food but this one really doesn't appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Yup, just prepare it properly.

Lots of videos on the internet of people ordering a can on the internet, and then taking a bite straight out of the can, not how it's supposed to be done, and even then it can be a bit of an acquired taste for some.
    OK, good to get a different opinion here.

I'm happy to give most things a go, so wouldn't say no. Just not sure if I can see it becoming a food staple...
    Last edited by LeGin Tufnel; 2020-06-30 at 04:27 PM.

Even then they've shot themselves in the foot further afterwards.

Many EU countries has schemes in place where British nationals can apply for more permanent residency permits, and the people in that link doesn't appear to have done that either after all this time.
    I imagine those mostly apply to Brits permanently living in the EU and not people wanting to visit their summer holiday home and potentially moving there permanently in X years.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    I imagine those mostly apply to Brits permanently living in the EU and not people wanting to visit their summer holiday home and potentially moving there permanently in X years.
    If they are not permanently residing on the continent but merely have a holiday home there, they'll come out of this fine with nothing major to worry about. The EU is not going to ban people from the UK from visiting the EU on a tourist basis.

Frankly, I don't have much sympathy for the whinging any of those people may make about the situation if they supported brexit, they'll be fine.

Frankly, I don't have much sympathy for the whinging any of those people may make about the situation if they supported brexit, they'll be fine.
    Anyone that voted for Brexit can go fuck themselves if they expect any sympathy for the bloody obvious impacts of Brexit on them personally. I have zero fucks to give for a single one of them; I'm reserving any sympathy I can muster for the poor sods that wanted to stay, and are being dragged out because a group of lying self serving cheats managed to con enough idiots to vote for this shit.

Two entire countries didn't want to leave. Only a third of the population actually wanted to leave, and apparently it's even smaller than that today. Yet here we still are, in a car being driven towards a cliff, with one of the people that voted to do that dead in a back seat and the driver hurtling ahead while maintaining that the car will surely fly.

Sadly this particular car is less "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" and more "Herbie Goes Splat".
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Anyone that voted for Brexit can go fuck themselves if they expect any sympathy for the bloody obvious impacts of Brexit on them personally. I have zero fucks to give for a single one of them; I'm reserving any sympathy I can muster for the poor sods that wanted to stay, and are being dragged out because a group of lying self serving cheats managed to con enough idiots to vote for this shit.

Two entire countries didn't want to leave. Only a third of the population actually wanted to leave, and apparently it's even smaller than that today. Yet here we still are, in a car being driven towards a cliff, with one of the people that voted to do that dead in a back seat and the driver hurtling ahead while maintaining that the car will surely fly.

Sadly this particular car is less "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" and more "Herbie Goes Splat".
    The driver will jump out of the car just before the cliff because he does not want to die (and never believed it could fly anyhow) leaving the remaining passengers to die

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Are you agreeing with me that the EU need our waters more than we need theirs?

https://www.sff.co.uk/we-must-leave-...at-the-latest/

Seems like Scotland's fishermen can't wait to leave the EU and the CFP. There's a spanner in rejoiner Nicola Sturgeons plans...
    The EU, overall, doesnt give a flying fuck about UK fishing waters. It might cost some member states a few voters but it's not going to affect any economy or the single market.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    The EU, overall, doesnt give a flying fuck about UK fishing waters. It might cost some member states a few voters but it's not going to affect any economy or the single market.
    Also, it's not like that member states will say: "well the UK chose to leave, so obviously everything that happens because of that we will blame on the EU and with that on our selves".
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Speaking of fish, were there not clashes between french and english fishermen just last year about the english going into french waters?
    When the Brits continue to overfish their waters they'll run out of ressources (can't think of a better word) again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    If they are not permanently residing on the continent but merely have a holiday home there, they'll come out of this fine with nothing major to worry about. The EU is not going to ban people from the UK from visiting the EU on a tourist basis.

fire in the hole !
    https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/new...among-britons/

fat chance the elder couple never heard of ETIAS until now. but they should be fine, if they visited EU so often end never were a burden. but the fee would be still a thing, not waived for them for any reason !

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    fire in the hole !
    https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/new...among-britons/

fat chance the elder couple never heard of ETIAS until now. but they should be fine, if they visited EU so often end never were a burden. but the fee would be still a thing, not waived for them for any reason !
    The thing with that couple, if we're talking about the ones from that twitter feed, is they were planning to retire in their holiday home which will lead to some issues. Sure, they can visit it for a couple of weeks, maybe even months, but for the rest of the year they'd need a place in the UK or somewhere else.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    And the few countries it will affect (Someone mentioned Denmark?) will probably just blame it on the UK being stupid rather than on the EU.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    The thing with that couple, if we're talking about the ones from that twitter feed, is they were planning to retire in their holiday home which will lead to some issues. Sure, they can visit it for a couple of weeks, maybe even months, but for the rest of the year they'd need a place in the UK or somewhere else.
    securing their holiday trips first; then apply for more ?
    my guess: they will be asked to provide enough income or savings in their application for a permanent settlement. proof of health insurance valid in EU on top !

brexit might become the straw to break that camel's back still ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    securing their holiday trips first; then apply for more ?
    my guess: they will be asked to provide enough income or savings in their application for a permanent settlement. proof of health insurance valid in EU on top !

brexit might become the straw to break that camel's back still ...
    They would need to have EU citizenship and that means giving up their UK citizenship to some point, they would still get their UK pension and such. Also inside the EU voices are increasing to get rid of allowing people to have dual citizenship, so that could complicate things further.

Now some nations or regions also require to speak the language to be able to buy or rent a house, i know this is the case for mine. Given it is very basic dutch and they even offer you support but being forced to learn a language at an old age you aren't even remotely know in isn't easy. So it is not even simply a finance thing.

I also wonder what will happen to all those retirees from the UK already in the EU, i believe the EU is willing to grant them aid and support but this is also going to be tied how the UK treats EU citizens on their soil.

Brexit is going to be more than just a straw, a lot of things can still very much get worse. The UK negotiation position is also why i can understand people are upset with the UK government as it hinges on "We from the UK are willing to let our people suffer! While we know the EU isn't willing to do that and cares more for their own and so they will fold!".

The problem is while that appears to ring through, rather than giving into UK demands and impacted their core values the EU is constructing anything from funds to other forms of support for those effected through their member states.

The brexit vote in itself wasn't bad, because the EU did needed to change, but change happens from the inside, not from the outside shouting in and those in favour of a brexit still really don't know what they want other than all the benefits and none of the responsibilities.

7+ Year Old Account
    Look how easy it can be when you are outside the EU, more brexit benefits in the bag...

Cross-border financial services trade between the UK and Switzerland is set to become easier, thanks to a commitment signed today (30 June) by the Chancellor of the Exchequer and his Swiss counterpart.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/s...ices-agreement

Meanwhile the EU missed the deadline of today for UK financial services equivalence and looks destined to lose access to UK capital markets in London at the end of the year. Good job they are not facing a liquidity and debt crisis from a global pandemic and desperately in need of borrowing new funds because of brexit...oh wait
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    I'm looking forward to the fishing industry (0.1% of GDP) making up the for the inevitable reduction in tax revenue taken from the financial services industry (6.9% of GDP) post WTO rules.

Also, we're going to have to get used to eating a lot more herring and a lot less cod.

The majority of fish eaten in the UK is imported. Some 83% of the cod consumed in the UK comes from abroad, alongside 58% of its haddock. The UK catch is 5% cod and 7% haddock, while the UK fleet catches a lot of herring, 93% of which is exported, mostly to Norway and the Netherlands.

https://www.dw.com/en/uk-fishing-ind...ngs/a-51418061

I don't mind a good rollmop but there's a time and a place. Not sure it'd be so nice in batter.

Any Swedes here can recommend Surströmming?
    When they were first trialled in the UK in the early 20th century, fish fingers were intended to be made from herring (cheap, and lots of them available). Needless to say they tasted crap, and were so much of a success that they quickly swapped to cod or alaskan pollock.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2020-06-30 at 10:40 PM.

Gods the conservative twitter saying they had the will of the people behind them in the latest vote (uhh 56% against you isn't will of the people) with their new ruling on ending free movement of British people to the EU is just laughable if it wasn't so horrific that right's are being taken away from those who did not wish the loss of rights.

Also I finally found the graph that showed the stupidity of a lot of British people over their view of free movement of people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Ultimately a big part of Brexit is British exceptionalism.
    Trying to reclaim the glory days of the collapsed Empire, hm?
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    And the few countries it will affect (Someone mentioned Denmark?) will probably just blame it on the UK being stupid rather than on the EU.
    I did

I think i read about a third of the fish (by value) landed by Danish fishermen was from UK waters..

Though i guess it is only 30% and i remembered wrong

https://fiskeristyrelsen.dk/media/11...eport_2019.pdf

Obviously no deal was Windhairs goal so the blame is entirely on the British

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Ultimately a big part of Brexit is British exceptionalism.
    I'd say English exceptionalism as Scotland and Northern Ireland never voted for it and in Wales, those that voted for Brexit were mostly those who in the last 2 generations moved from England to Wales. Not those who can trace their roots back to multiple generations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    I did

I think i read about a third of the fish (by value) landed by Danish fishermen was from UK waters..

Though i guess it is only 30% and i remembered wrong

https://fiskeristyrelsen.dk/media/11...eport_2019.pdf

Obviously no deal was Windhairs goal so the blame is entirely on the British
    Yeah, I mean, Denmark is relatively small, and is flanked by Norway on the north and the UK on the west, with the Faroe islands in between, so they're all going to have a huge impact on Denmark's fisheries. That said, the Faroe Islands are (kinda?) part of Denmark, so that should continue to be fine, and Norway seems to still like Denmark, so that'll be fine too.