Poll: Would you like this neutral race format

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Would a neutral "race" group actually work? Could it fix problematic faction issues?

Note: This is not a 3rd faction, it's still only 2 factions, neutral race characters must choose a side to align with.

I wonder if this could really fix a lot of the problems with faction identity, race squabbles can cause without breaking the games 2 faction system. It's not a 3rd faction, only 2 playable factions exist, but these independent races allow the individual to choose.

This will move certain races to the neutral column. Meaning they are independent races whose individuals can choose to join either the horde or the alliance. This is not a 3rd faction, only 2 playable factions exist. If this was implemented from the beginning this is what we would have had.

Classic: Night elves, Undead = neutral (A:3, H:3, N: 2)
    TBC: Draenei and Blood elves = neutral (A:3, H:3, N:4)
    Cata: Worgen = alliance, Goblin = horde (A:4, H:4, N:4)
    MoP: Pandaren -=neutral, horde, alliance
    Allied races: Void elves, Lightforged, Nightborne, Vulpera = Neutral

Each of the neutral races are their nations group, but as a player you have to choose one of the factions to be in.

Now it's far too late for that, even though it would have worked in a 2 faction system, horde /alliance keeping their identity, other races not really a part of them doing such. BFA would be very different too. However, question is CAN it work now going forward?

What if in 10.0 blizzard moved the identity problematic races to neutral races?

Neutral Races:

The following shift to Neutral races
    • Night elves, Nightborne
    • Blood elves, Void elves
    • Draenei, Lightforged
    • Undead, Vulpera
    • Pandaren

Horde Becomes:
    • Orcs, Mag'har orcs
    • Highmountain, Tauren
    • Darkspear, Zandalari Trolls
    • Goblins

Alliance Becomes:
    • Humans, Kul'tirans
    • Dark Irons, Dwarves
    • Gnomes, Mechagnomes
    • Worgen

• Neutral races is not a faction, they're just races gone independent (events that lead to this are explained in a book).
    • Existing characters remain in their factions. New characters of neutral races can choose their faction.

Is this a viable solution , make for much better storytelling, without breaking the 2 faction basis or identity. Would you be happy with this?
    Last edited by Mace; 2020-07-01 at 04:09 PM.

It is way past time to simply remove faction barriers altogether.

5+ Year Old Account
    Just made factions divide , or 3rd faction.

a)
    Good alliance leader race = Humans
    Bad alliance leader race = Night Elfs

Good horde leader race = Orcs
    Bad horde leader race = Undeads

b)
    1vs1vs1 (free for all faction war : cold war)

Alliance VS Horde VS Union.
    Please, there a perfect example of hypocritical thinking:
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    If Tinkers had anything to do with Hunters, but they don’t. Unlike Bards which are linked to Rogues.

you have to reinvent a lot of stuff to make 3 factions work in a 2 faction game
    I wouldn't do it, too hard and too risky, doesn't fix anything and introduces a ton of new issues
    Shadowlands is real world
    The Maw is China
    The Jailer is China government
    Sylvanas is Blizz

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    The word Neutral is a bit odd though, just look at the Night Elves.

They are certainly not neutral. In this model they could be non-alliance aligned, but they would certainly be hostile to the horde.

I remember before vanilla came out people used to think reputation would play a role in this, and that you'd be able to join groups based on your reputation with them and even learn their language by finding primers around the world, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don’t agree with the wording in the vote for no, but that’s my vote. If they ever removed any sort of faction barrier it would be letting people group together. The quests and the areas would still be the same, but raids and dungeons (and maybe world content but probably not) could be filled with either side. It just doesn’t make sense for them to have to rework their entire system to make some races neutral after this long.
    ”I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me."-Sylvanas Windrunner

Why would the Draenei be neutral? Velen and Anduin are bros and you know the whole orc thing
    Why would the lightforged and the void elves be neutral? Both of their leaders are explicitly alliance heroes and are 0% pleased with the new horde being allowed to exist.

Further, shouldn't goblins be neutral. I know Gazlow and Thrall are bros, but I mean they're goblins.

Edit; I'm all for cross-faction (instanced) PvP and PvE but I would be content to allow it to be a gameplay abstraction as opposed to a lore thing.

Quote Originally Posted by LorDC View Post
    Exactly. No need to create a "neutral" faction (that would require a severe overhaul of any previous expansion to accommodate for this) or even shove existing races into them.
    Any "neutral" races in the future should be like Pandaren in that they choose a faction, mostly for gameplay purposes, or to gain access to faction-locked transmog.
    Last edited by Nathanyel; 2020-07-01 at 04:24 PM.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

Quote Originally Posted by LorDC View Post
    Especially for PvE content, guilds, trading, etc.

They've already taken it out for PvP (with mercenary mode) which is the one area where it made sense to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by iosdeveloper View Post
    you have to reinvent a lot of stuff to make 3 factions work in a 2 faction game
    I wouldn't do it, too hard and too risky, doesn't fix anything and introduces a ton of new issues
    It's not a 3rd faction. There are only 2 factions. You get a neutral race column because these races are not in either faction but you have to choose to join one of the factions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    <snip>
    Well, ignoring that the majority of the races you mentioned wouldn't be 'neutral', I think you're missing a key bit of information here:

How would "neutrality" be handled, both as a game mechanic, and lore?

I feel this poll would've benefited from an 'other' option, because some I can agree with and some things I'd have done very differently.
    Twas brillig

Seems like Tauren and HMT are the most obvious candidates for neutrality among horde races.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Well, ignoring that the majority of the races you mentioned wouldn't be 'neutral', I think you're missing a key bit of information here:

How would "neutrality" be handled, both as a game mechanic, and lore?
    It won't. Like the Pandaren, the individual MUST choose a faction, even though his race has gone neutral, he will choose. There is no neutral faction only 2 .

End state in the lore is going to be horde, alliance is going to be alliance. No more writing the horde filling it with elves, and since the alliance was always writing humans anyway, nothing has to change on that from, some of their races going neutral would actually help them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    Seems like Tauren and HMT are the most obvious candidates for neutrality among horde races.
    Kept them horde cos they have a strong horde vibe and identity to horde. But then Tauren as far as I know have no alliance friends. Tauren druids, which is a tiny fraction of taurens, work with night elf druids in the Cenarion circle druidic faction that is open to several races. Tauren are not friends with night elves. HM while having lived close to night elves have 0 interaction with them in Highmountain, the Val'Sharah night elves have no Tauren interaction and friendship or enmity.

In contrast we see blizzard made effort to show Tauren/Vrykul interactions in neighboring Stormheim. Frankly they fit the horde very well and don't contribute to the identity issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alternatively go the way of Warcraft 3 and split the two factions so that there are four with players getting the option to choose either of the two new factions as their faction e.g.
    Keep the Horde and Alliance, introduce a united faction that is tired of the faction war with leaders actively making a effort to work between the different races and inevitably causing a friction with the Horde and Alliance and another evul for shits and giggles faction whose leaders have never cared for the factions and just see the formation of another faction causing further strain on the Alliance and the Horde as an exploitable opportunity to their benefit with backstabs and betrayals to boot and no issue with villain batting it.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

10+ Year Old Account
    I really dislike the BEs as neutral and the NEs aswell.
    The draenei seems a little bit forced too. Vulpera is.... fine I suppose? I mean, they are recent enough to become neutral I suppose.
    Pandaren fit very well with the neutral idea.

Undead area bit trickier, while I can see Why they would be put there with Calia and all, it would be incredibly tricky to distance them from the horde, but shadowlands would be an ideal moment to do just that I suppose.

I don't really like this idea at all.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Sounds like a shitload of work on Blizzard's side for what ends up being basically nothing? I think gameplay wise we'll get cross faction play, but the fundamental 2 faction setup they have going isn't going to change much.

Also your poll is shite.

It's not a 3rd faction. There are only 2 factions. You get a neutral race column because these races are not in either faction but you have to choose to join one of the factions.
    Then I see no need for changes to existing races, once cross-faction play is implemented.
    Night Elves and Draenei might work with the Horde in the future, but I can't see these races identifying as "exclusively Horde".
    No need to make Blood Elves available on Alliance, as Void Elves will fill the "Alliance High Elf" niche in 9.0
    Goblins might be neutral in general, but the Bilgewater have a bond to the Horde, comparable to that of the Darkspear and Tauren.

Give cross-faction groups (Warmode off) a way to enter settlements of the other faction, make opposing guards neutral since you're with a player of that faction. Maybe even make vendors etc. accessible. If you leave the group, you're teleported to the nearest graveyard, to prevent griefing.
    Last edited by Nathanyel; 2020-07-01 at 04:39 PM.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

What problematic faction issues are you even trying to fix with this suggestion?

And as chaotic as you think factional divides might be now, why do you figure that erasing some of those lines would be less chaotic and not more? Why would effectively splitting apart the population of several races give those races more identity and not irreparably diminish their identities like Pandaren?

It won't. Like the Pandaren, the individual MUST choose a faction, even though his race has gone neutral, he will choose. There is no neutral faction only 2 .

End state in the lore is going to be horde, alliance is going to be alliance. No more writing the horde filling it with elves, and since the alliance was always writing humans anyway, nothing has to change on that from, some of their races going neutral would actually help them.
    You misunderstand. I'm not talking about "neutral factions". I'm talking about "neutrality" as a gameplay concept, and lore concept.

The reason why the reason why the Pandaren don't have a centralized city/hub (like Stormwind, Orgrimmar, Darnassus, Silvermoon, etc) is, in my opinion, because of they exist in both factions. Because they're "neutral". Another thing that drives the story, the conflicts, is the lore. When we have so many neutral races (you listed nine), the lore of "factions" become blurry: "Here we have the Alliance. Some of the races in this faction are: night elves, vulpera, draenei, undead. And here we have the Horde. Some of the races in this faction are: night elves, vulpera, draenei, undead."

And, again: how would it be handed gameplay-wise. Where would the Alliance blood elves' base be? They can't go into Silvermoon, because Silvermoon is Horde. Likewise, where would be the Horde draenei's base of operations? etc, etc.

In short, it feels like way too much work for very little gain, if any.