Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    I do it now so I don't have to touch the delivery receipt to input the tip, in the past I'd write it in upon delivery or give a cash tip, but now, with the 'rona, I play it safe.

And please, can the doofuses who always come in to tipping-related threads and go on about how smart and cool they are for never tipping in the US not come into this topic?
    Tip is not longer a tip. You know, when tip actually ment giving extra money to someone who did a good service for you? It is now expected to just stash extra money for someone that is ment to be doing their job in the first place. Luckily majority of service staff tend to be nice and provide a good service, but dont be thinking you getting a tip if you are having a shit day and barely putting any effort into your job. Promotes wrong behaviour.

Now delivery drivers to my door, I tip when I have coin. Just Eat does not have tip option in the UK. But welcome to 21st century, I don't carry cash.
    -K

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moralgy View Post
    No contact depends on the place. Its basically you deliver food but stay within social distancing range. Its hella awkward.
    oh i thought you meant no contract.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

A quick summary for the people who don't want to read all 6 pages.

Pizza delivers claim that their car usage/gas/insurance are not paid by the store owners.
    They are different from the waiters and barbers.
    They want 50% tip.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    A quick summary for the people who don't want to read all 6 pages.

Pizza delivers claim that their car usage/gas/insurance are not paid by the store owners.
    They are different from the waiters and barbers.
    They want 50% tip.
    That's not even close to a accurate summary.

You basically did not comprehend a single thing discussed.

You also did not admit you were wrong or apologize for attacking posters when proven how full of shit wrong you were.

But that seems to be your M.O.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Don't tip. Help eliminate tipping culture.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always tip and when I do I tip well. You would be surprised on how much better the service gets when they know you are a good tipper. In fact, i find myself getting off the menu dishes and wine tastings for free.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Don't tip. Help eliminate tipping culture.
    Not tipping does not promote the elimination of tipping culture since it does not impact the owners and perpetrators of the pay structure.

If anything you should boycott the places who do not pay a fair livable wage for their staff.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Not tipping does not promote the elimination of tipping culture since it does not impact the owners and perpetrators of the pay structure.

If anything you should boycott the places who do not pay a fair livable wage for their staff.
    If a waitress / waiter does not recieve / claim an amount in tips that would equate to minimum wage. Their employer is legally required to pay them minimum wage / make up the difference

This would absolutely attack tipping culture as the employer would be forced to alter pay structure.

If a waitress / waiter does not recieve / claim an amount in tips that would equate to minimum wage. Their employer is legally required to pay them minimum wage / make up the difference

This would absolutely attack tipping culture as the employer would be forced to alter pay structure.
    Maybe for waiters but not so much for delivery since the vast majority of them now are hired as independent contractors who they do not need to meet these requirements.

I was responding to the topic at hand which is delivery.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Maybe for waiters but not so much for delivery since the vast majority of them now are hired as independent contractors who they do not need to meet these requirements.

I was responding to the topic at hand which is delivery.
    That's a fair point as I was more against tipping culture as a whole.

The way delivery drivers are hired is the definition of scum :/

Owners will grudgingly pay minimum wage but your behaviour will never change the pay structure. You have to change the laws for that, and guess what a pizza shop isn't doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    57 cents per mile. 10 miles one way. 20 miles round trip.
    Isn't 10 mile like 16 km? You are doing deliveries over such long distances? Thats crazy, that would be like ordering from the next city here. Basically no one delivers more than 1-2 km away where i live.

No it wouldn't, it would encourage them to find new waiters or waitresses that would actually get tips...or at least that's their mentality. Yes they're legally required to do so, that doesn't mean they want to.

Affecting the employer's bottom line won't make the laws change, it will simply make them make decisions on how to make more or better money, which generally is to get "better" servers that will make better tips. The laws are what need to change, making a few shops make less money or even close won't change the federal laws....people will just look at it and say "capitalism."

Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    Isn't 10 mile like 16 km? You are doing deliveries over such long distances? Thats crazy, that would be like ordering from the next city here. Basically no one delivers more than 1-2 km away where i live.
    I have 11 places that deliver on grub hub that are 7-15 miles out. the delivery times are 60-75 minutes and the fees (before tip) are 4.99+

My favorite place to order is 4 miles away.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    The gig economy in general should be abolished. If someone is for all intends and purposes covering the duties of a salaried employee, they should have all the rights of a salaried employee.
    Companies lose almost every case they get pushed on in the US.
    Regulators refuse to address it as a national problem.
    States don't address it because its not high profile enough and fines won't pay the bills for the investigation and case loads.

The problem is with a lot of the gig economy workers is/are:

- Don't have the money to hire lawyer to fight for them
    - Not high enough profile to get class action going.
    - think they will make less money as an employee.
    - think they will lose their job if they protest/open an investigation.
    - poorest of the poor workers who can't afford to risk missing even one day pay.
    - lowest educated of the working class, don't understand how they are being screwed.

Now that Uber et all are being attacked and losing in places like CA, its finally becoming a national issue but for the wrong reason. The billion dollar companies are pushing for them to change the law so they can win these lawsuits and reclassifications.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    So it seems to be trending where I live that pizza places now when you pay with a card they want you to tip when they run it instead of writing it into the receipt when your food is delivered. i gotta tell ya i refused to tip before the food is delivered. I normally tip pretty good too but this definitely effects the amount of money I tip.

Is this happening where you guys live?
    I tip in cash when they get here, but I pay for the food with my credit card.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    The gig economy in general should be abolished. If someone is for all intends and purposes covering the duties of a salaried employee, they should have all the rights of a salaried employee.
    Well, the point of them is to be able to use them a side-jobs. I know somebody who is an Uber driver in between his morning and evening lectures at the Uni. You can do it whenever. Same applies with services like Lieferando/UberEats.

Also, sometimes you can't take a "regular" job legally. With a student Visa in Germany you can work up to 20 hours per week.

No, I'm ever asked to tip but I sometimes do AFTER the delivery if it's fast

15+ Year Old Account
    Some restaurants here leave card readers with a minimum amount I need to pay, but leave an empty number for me to fill.

Tipping despite being charged for delivery anyways... absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The delivery fee doesn’t go to the driver.
    And that's how backward the tipping system Americans have is...