Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Havent watched TV since 2014... I dont even own a TV lol

I refuse to pay for something and still be forced to watch advertisements. How cable companies got away with that nonsense I'll never understand.

I do watch quite a bit of TV off netflix and amazon prime. Maybe 1-2 hours a day on average. There are some truly amazing shows out there. Some of them even started on traditional TV channels. I don't think that TV content has ever been better.

I rarely watch movies anymore, so there's that. TV is just better for me. Movies often can wrap themselves around a theme and limit the scope of their narrative. TV shows are forced to take risks simply by their runtime, so great TV shows tend to also have great writing, which is what I like.

There are plenty of great and new TV shows out there, one just has to seek them out.

Do I watch the news? Not if I can help it. I will, occasionally, watch a reality TV show as a guilty pleasure. When I watch reality tv, I prefer the survival or trade skills reality shows like Bear Grylls or Forged in Fire.

Edit: I still call Netflix and Amazon "TV". They make TV shows. I don't know. For traditional television through cable or satellite, I admit I watch very little. I prefer to watch my television content through the Internet. Ironically, I probably spend more now on "television" than I ever did before it was internet based. That said, I like it a lot more now.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2020-07-01 at 04:42 PM.

Haven't had a TV since '09. I'm subbed to a few streaming services I watch occasionally, but mostly it's just Twitch and Youtube for me.

I have not even bothered setting it up even though it's probably just plug it in and voila. I download/stream everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    If you live in Canada it is cheaper to get fibre internet with a TV package, that is how they get you here. It is well over 200$ a month for most packages if you want gigabit+
    I'm not sure what part of Canada you are in but heres what I did:

Telus came to my door because they had put fibre in to all the houses and wanted me to swap. I got a decent offer at $70 per month for fibre but the guy was a dick about me wanted such speeds so I declined. Someone else from telus showed up the next day and I got the same deal.

They came in and installed their stuff and then Shaw called me to keep me as a customer. I had them come in and reinstall their stuff. Over like 2 weeks I had 5 or 6 technicians in to keep swapping till I got Telus down to basically $35 a month over 2 years with all the credits they were offering.

On topic, I watch TV but its all from streaming services.

When I moved in my new place about 5-7 years back I did not even bother getting a TV connection.

In my country TV programm is just too stupid to watch with gigantic comercial breaks on top. Now I watch Netflix, Amazon, Disney+ or whatever and I get to decide when I watch what with next to no commercials. It's just better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I'm not sure what part of Canada you are in but heres what I did:

Telus came to my door because they had put fibre in to all the houses and wanted me to swap. I got a decent offer at $70 per month for fibre but the guy was a dick about me wanted such speeds so I declined. Someone else from telus showed up the next day and I got the same deal.

They came in and installed their stuff and then Shaw called me to keep me as a customer. I had them come in and reinstall their stuff. Over like 2 weeks I had 5 or 6 technicians in to keep swapping till I got Telus down to basically $35 a month over 2 years with all the credits they were offering.

On topic, I watch TV but its all from streaming services.
    We only have Bell and Rogers in NB and they jack up the prices in the maritimes because they know we only have 2 options. It is pretty shity but at least it is really fucking fast.

Quote Originally Posted by loren View Post
    I'm always on Netflix or YouTube so I honestly don't watch much TV anymore, so I'm thinking about just suspending my TV plan. Did anyone else do the same and did you regret it?
    I have one... why i don't know. I always watch netflix on my PC. Cable is garabage 99%

no. nor do i listen to radio but i'm still paying for that shit because of mafia tactics employed by the state/government? public service my ass!
    before them making it a tax thing they'd show up at peoples homes looking for devices that could broadcast any of their nonsense and demand pay(doesn't matter if you use it for that or not).
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

7+ Year Old Account
    10 years more or less without television, with internet i can watch all the shit i wanted, the time i wanted, and i found even more shit to watch that i would never had a chance with TV

some cartoon programs i followed for respect, that went against the wave of crap, some of then hd like e 80s and 90s cartoon/anime

I spend about 5 hours watching TV shows, usually on service like on Amazon firestick. I think this is great service. And the best thing is that there are so many different things to watch on different apps like live net tv. It's never boring! Movies surprisingly enough have gotten worse and worse. They oftentimes start with a cool premise but then take some unnecessary plot turns that ruin the movie for me sometimes. Admittedly though, I do go to the cinemas from time to time
    Last edited by Heatherclint; 2022-01-26 at 09:55 AM.

Only for live sports. But we don't have cable service or OTA antenna. Live TV is through Youtube TV.

Not often, mostly if there is a big news story breaking. Apart from that the last thing I watch was some matches from the world cup last summer that were not available in 4k online.
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Wealth inequality is here to stay, sometimes it's just how lifes cookie crumbles and all of society is better off for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    But from what I can see it is quite probable Æthelstan was the first Brexiteer, likely the Farage of his age seeing off the European continentals in the very first successful Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by loren View Post
    I'm always on Netflix or YouTube so I honestly don't watch much TV anymore, so I'm thinking about just suspending my TV plan. Did anyone else do the same and did you regret it?
    I mean I watch Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney +, HBO Max, Hulu all on my TV so yes technically yes I watch TV every day. But if your question is weather I watch live TV of any sort then my answer is a resounding No. I got rid of Direct TV last year as I never watched it unless a new season of Walking Dead or Mayans was on so I just got AMC+.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I quit "cable tv" packages about 5-6 years ago with the advent of 'Jail broke Firestick' program-scrapers that allow me to pirate almost everything on tv and movies.

However, we 'resubscribed' to YoutubeTV about six months ago because honestly - as 'old fogey's or "gen X" or whatever - regardless that I could literally bring up (almost) every tv and movie out there on demand for free; we actually missed "channel surfing" and have enough income now that the 65$ US isn't a hardship. Because regardless that we don't watch it for primetime tv - we watch enough tv that at random times during the day, etc, we wanted to be able to just 'surf' on downtime and not have to decide exactly what we wanted to watch. Believe it or not, sometimes you don't know or aren't 'in the mood' to watch a specific episode of a specific show just because you have bored-time and nothing else you want to do =D. We also have weird TV reception issues where we live and local channels aren't available over a tv-air-antenna reliably. NOT having local news/weather coverage was also a determining factor here.

So while we have all streaming Networks Access through the jail-broke firestick, yea, we actually went back and re-upped a yearly sub to 'cable' - through YouTube TV. (Picked for the station coverage, unlimited cloud DVR, and allowing like 4 or 6 simultaneous logged in devices)

There are just some habits, and some preferences, that even having all of tv at your ordering-fingertips - doesn't cover apparently. Sometimes you just want to surf - and 'free' tv services having the same commercial every ten minutes was just too annoying =D. (First World Problems are the best.)

(And before anyone wants to report/edit this post for 'pirating' information - "Jailbroke Firesticks" aren't illegal, even Amazon and ebay sell them, along with possibly hundreds of other online sites - its a legit, regular, Firestick-device, not a pirated or illegal device, with extra programs loaded on.)
    Last edited by Koriani; 2022-01-25 at 08:55 PM.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Icon View Post
    no. nor do i listen to radio but i'm still paying for that shit because of mafia tactics employed by the state/government? public service my ass!
    before them making it a tax thing they'd show up at peoples homes looking for devices that could broadcast any of their nonsense and demand pay(doesn't matter if you use it for that or not).
    It is the same her in Denmark, but when they ring my doorbell I just ask tell them to go away and return with a court order and police to enforce it before I let them in.
    So far they haven't returned and I am not paying anything for "public service TV".

Regarding the topic:
    Neither my kids or I watch any TV. I don't know any of my kids friends that watch TV either.

I watch 1 or 2 football/soccer games a week. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Icon View Post
    Well assuming it works like in Finland, in a round-about way you do still get use of it because that money would also be used to upkeep emergency broadcasting capabilities and sources/hardware.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

5+ Year Old Account
    Only watch tv when i visit mom, then i watch crap like pawnstars etc, silly show with banther, i also want to know what things r worth n also amazed by people stupid overblown expectations...

Pawn stars "so its worth 2500$"
    idiot customer "gimme 3000$!"