Can you use any pet? or do they have different dps?

Hey.

So recently got back into my hunter, who is still using the bear spirit beast from Wotlk as pet, But i also noticed that the bear is stuck into Tenacity nowdays with no way to change, So i'm wondering if i have to find a Ferocity pet for PvE dps or if the tenacity pet works as well.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    Hey.

So recently got back into my hunter, who is still using the bear spirit beast from Wotlk as pet, But i also noticed that the bear is stuck into Tenacity nowdays with no way to change, So i'm wondering if i have to find a Ferocity pet for PvE dps or if the tenacity pet works as well.
    Not sure how this will change in Shadowlands, but current, the spec of your pet does not affect its DPS or ability to Tank, instead it gives you and your pet a special passive ability as well as a special active ability for you.

Ferocity Pets: "Predator's Thirst" (Passively gives you and your pet 10% leech.) and "Primal Rage" (Increases haste by 30% for 40 sec for the group.)

Tenacity Pets: "Endurance Training" (Passively increases you and your pet’s maximum health by 5%.) and "Survival Of The Fittest" (You and your pet take 20% reduced damage for 6 seconds, 3 min cooldown.)

Cunning Pets: "Pathfinding" (Passively increases you and your pet’s movement speed by 8%.) and "Master's Call" (Removes all roots and slowing effects from your pet and your current target. Can also be used on yourself. Can also be used to quickly recall your pet to you.)

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a guide for Hunter Pets https://www.wowhead.com/battle-for-a...nter-pet-guide

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    They have the same DPS, but their passives are better in certain situations. Popular choices are Spirit beast for istances, and cunning pets with slow or tranquil shot for PvP.

For solo content Clefthoof is the superior pet, and anything else is wrong. Stomp stomp.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by S7orm View Post
    They have the same DPS, but their passives are better in certain situations. Popular choices are Spirit beast for istances, and cunning pets with slow or tranquil shot for PvP.

For solo content Clefthoof is the superior pet, and anything else is wrong. Stomp stomp.
    Spirit Beasts and Clefthoofs are Exotic Pets, and thus not available to Marksmanship and Survival Hunters. For those, alternatives would be a Crane (or Stag. which is basically the same as the Crane) for instances and a Scalehide for solo content.

7+ Year Old Account
    Spirit Beasts are fine as a BM Hunter, though on Shadowlands, usefulness has diminished a notch (as with regular pets) with the dispel being available to the baseline kit, it will still give you access to it's regular heal.

I'd probably carry a Lust pet as a back up, and call it as an alternative when it may be needed.

Petopia https://www.wow-petopia.com/index.php is a great place to check out all the pets. I recommend finding one of each spec you like to keep on you for certain situations. But really unless you "need" a mortal strike (like for arena) or something any pet will do.

They all do the same damage, but I've been using a Spirit Beast all expansion.

It's got a healing ability (set that up on a macro), a magic/enrage purge, a 20% damage reduction CD and gives you 5% more HP.

The only time I use anything else is for M+ when nobody else has heroism.

Quote Originally Posted by WFD1992 View Post
    ....the spec of your pet does not affect its DPS or ability to Tank...
    Sorry for being pedantic here, but the ability to hold threat while tanking isn't affected but the ability to survive tanking can (and is) affected by the pet's abilities. Ex: Thick Hide for clefthoofs
    ~steppin large and laughin easy~

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    Sorry for being pedantic here, but the ability to hold threat while tanking isn't affected but the ability to survive tanking can (and is) affected by the pet's abilities. Ex: Thick Hide for clefthoofs
    I said spec (as in Ferocity, Tenacity, or Cunning), not the abilities of the pet class itself.

Here's a pretty good overview of what abilities your pet will have: https://www.wow-petopia.com/abilities.php

You can simply start with what ability you want, such as mortal wounds, tranq+dispel or triggered defense for a tanky pet, match it with the type you want and then pick up a pet in that category. As have been mentioned though, Clefthoofs are the best for soloing while the best for raiding and m+ depends on the content.

Mythic+ : anything with Heroism (devilsaur, corehound, etc) OR if there's already a mage/shaman in the group, spirit beast so you dispel buffs from mobs.

Raids: quite literally anything at all unless there is no mage or shaman at all.

PVP: spirit beast for the dispels and crappy heals OR cunning beast for Master's Call. Personally, I have discovered that I can get way more value out of being able to remove roots and becoming immune to roots and slows for 4 sec, than by having a crappy self heal, especially when fighting melee.
    Last edited by The Butt Witch; 2020-07-08 at 06:43 AM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    A sporebat

Funny, I came here to ask this exact question.

Someone on the wow-petopia forums is saying cunning pets deal less damage than ferocity, but I was 3% sure damage output had been normalised across the three families. Glad to see confirmation of that.