Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Games might be $70 next gen.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/2/21...increase-games

2K Games has announced that it’ll sell the next-gen PS5 and Xbox Series X versions of the upcoming NBA 2K21 for $69.99, a $10 increase to the current-gen Xbox One and PS4 versions of the game. And it’s the first indication that the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 may be bringing a price increase from the standard $60 that major video games have been sold at for years when they arrive this fall.

Most video games have been sold at a $60 price since the “seventh-gen” console era of the Xbox 360, the PlayStation 3, and the Nintendo Wii, which was a $10 price increase from the $50 standard that had preceded it. But if NBA 2K21 is any indication, that $60 era is about to be over: assuming other game studios follow 2K Games’ lead here, the PS5 and Xbox Series X could see $70 games become the new norm for AAA titles.
    This might set a new trend of games costing $70. AAA developers might charge more for games that have less content so they can cram them with microtransactions, because that's how the industry works now; they try to see how much they can get away with. At what point do gamers say, "Enough is enough."?

You might say I'm jumping to conclusions or overreacting, but the game industry has done nothing to deserve the benefit of the doubt in recent years. I fully expect games to cost $70 next gen.

10+ Year Old Account
    I gave up on buying games day 1.

Most games are released as public beta’s these days, so I’ll keep doing what I do now; wait 6+ months and buy patched up games for <€25 discount prices.

Remember when they said games would be much cheaper if there was no piracy?

N64 games used to be $70 plus tax, that is nothing new. Granted you got a complete game at that point.

All games need to be digital and have a 2-4 hour played time return window. Much like Steam now offers. You buy the game, hate it, you can return it. No questions asked. The gamer wins, the dev loses, but they lose for a reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, they will bump it to 70 bucks, there is some subtle noise from EA too on that one.

That or they will make them shorter as standard.

Or both /shrug.

So? Nothing wrong about an AAA game costing 70 bucks...what are 70 bucks these days anyways.
    And developing games wont get cheaper in the future you know...
    Gamers can always express an "enough is enough" attitude. Simply by boycotting certain developers or
    like in your case not buying games at release date and waiting for discounts etc. But the truth is: Gamers like to
    complain but most of them buy the games anyways. So imho you can't really blame a developer who is just
    acting like any other business on the free market, but you can blame the gaming community.

eh people should not be shocked by this. The other option is less content upfront and charge for DLC's or microtransactions. Games cost a lot more now than they used to. Day 1 players will pay and others can simply wait and buy used for physical, or sales for digital/new physical.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by Easyclassictopkeklel View Post
    So? Nothing wrong about an AAA game costing 70 bucks...what are 70 bucks these days anyways.
    And developing games wont get cheaper in the future you know...
    Gamers can always express an "enough is enough" attitude. Simply by boycotting certain developers or
    like in your case not buying games at release date and waiting for discounts etc. But the truth is: Gamers like to
    complain but most of them buy the games anyways. So imho you can't really blame a developer who is just
    acting like any other business on the free market, but you can blame the gaming community.
    The problem is, most AAA games have less content in them so devs can cram them with microtransactions. This wouldn't be as big a deal if games actually had more content in them.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I already avoid buying new releases because they cost 80 Canuck coins if it goes up to 90 I’ll likely just not buy any thing until it’s a lot cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutri View Post
    I gave up on buying games day 1.

Most games are released as public beta’s these days, so I’ll keep doing what I do now; wait 6+ months and buy patched up games for <€25 discount prices.
    Basically this. I'm gonna do the exceptions for some titles, but mostly because i want the physical CE, like D4 when it'll be out.

There's really no reason to buy games that are not discounted. You end getting a better experience at a lower price, despite what they're trying to sell you (GET THIS RIGHT NOW BECAUSE IT'S THE NEW STUFF)
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Makes sense if the next gen consoles are cheaper than a thousand bucks.

There's very few games that go from not making a profit to making a profit with this change. It's not enough to pay your workers and make some money on the side anymore for the AAA industry, you have to have every cent you can. When you want to make money with a game, the quality of the game itself lags behind MTX and marketing in importance.

I can see it now. $69.99 base game, $99.99 base game + "extras"

l o l

You do not need to buy games on release date, just wait a bit, and the cost goes down.

This always happens

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    $70 for a game is gonna drive people away from gaming. Paying $60 was already a stretch

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    eh people should not be shocked by this. The other option is less content upfront and charge for DLC's or microtransactions. Games cost a lot more now than they used to. Day 1 players will pay and others can simply wait and buy used for physical, or sales for digital/new physical.
    lol

Trust me, it'll be both higher prices and even more DLCs and microtransactions. And it has nothing to do with the costs (FFS, EA makes around $1 billion every quarter in profits)...it has everything to do with seeing if people accept the new prices.

well less sales for them then... the trend of increasing prices will lead to gamers becoming increasingly selective on what they play because it's simply not worth it to spent 70+ on a game that you are not even certain you'll like, or that has little replayability

70$ for 20hrs of entertainment is a pretty poor rate considering that you have already invested for probably 1200+ for a gaming PC already

I wouldn't mind this if they actually completed the game before launching it.

OH really? You sons of a frikn dog!
    I hope this doesnt fly.

I didnt even read the OP
    Last edited by Big Thanks; 2020-07-03 at 04:26 PM.

Game development has gotten more expensive, so I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner, but like others have said, I gave up buying on day 1 probably over 10 years ago, especially once the retailer exclusive, day 1 DLC and other DLC became standard. I'd rather wait 6 or months, and get a complete edition for $25 or less.