Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PaladinSum View Post
    For the exact same reason people being shitty to actors over movies is bad and stupid, being shitty to actors over movies is bad.

You keep making these tortured comparisons to make one set worse. You're just making the comparison of you being accepting of one set of toxicity.

Unless you're willing to tell me Kelly Marie Tran is the testing site and Boyega is Japan.
    It’s not about one being worse it’s about visible impact. One Form of Toxicity Is just as bad as the other but if your comparing damage they don’t always match up. As far as Starwars go we have sights of visible damage (japan) causes by toxicity (the bomb) these sights are the anakin actors Lucas jar jar’s and roses actors, then we have sights of non visible damage (The testing sight) Finn’s actorKylo’s actor, these people were hit with the same toxicity for one reason or the other but it didn’t Visibly have the same impact but just because I’m impact isn’t visible doesn’t mean it never happened.

The important thing is that every one rather they suffer a visible Impact or not was hit by the same toxic fans bomb and you can’t always tell How a person responded to said impact like in the case of jar jar’s actors who went on for years without saying any thing until recent where he spook out about.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2020-07-03 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I swear, pretty much the entire hatred of Kennedy specifically with regards to Star Wars boils down to that one "the Force is female" comment. So many salty fanboys who got pissed that the Force doesn't have a big giant magic-penis for some reason.

It's a force of creation and life. Mythologically, those are almost always female, if they're gendered, dudes.

Kennedy's career and success rate speaks for itself. The Star Wars ST is a hiccup in that career at best. And really, I'd lay most of the blame on the shenanigans that went on with writing and directing; the way it played out wasn't the plan, Johnson was brought in when Abrams bailed on Ep 8 due to other interests.

Let's recall she's also the producer or executive producer for;
    ET the Extra-terrestrial
    Gremlins 1/2
    The Goonies
    Back to the Future 1/2/3
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit
    Hook
    Jurassic Park 1/2/3
    Schindler's List
    Bridges of Madison County
    Twister
    The Sixth Sense

And so on. Those are by no means the only films in there, just some of the highlights. She's been wildly successful at crafting films that make up a lot of our collective childhoods.
    Indiana Jones, as well, which were about as masculine as you can get. She'll almost certainly be producing Indy 5, too. But yes, I agree. She gets a lot of hate for the failure of the ST likely because of her comments. It's absurd, especially when there's a lot of GOOD SW content that came out under her tenure.

The ST recieved, at best, a mixed response, and I'd argue the response it got was more muted compared to the absolute vitriol that surrounded the PT. "Rebooting" it because a bunch of Youtubers screeched about SJWs ruining SW is just laughable.

If someone doesn't like the ST? That's fine; there's a lot I didn't like about it, either. But, throwing it out over a mixed reception? When there is plenty LFL can do to put distance between future projects and the Skywalker Saga? When Disney just POURED money into making Galaxy's Edge entirely themed around the ST? It just makes absolutely no sense.
    Professor of History at Dalaran University

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    A bit of both but the hounding wasn’t limited to jar jar being racist one of his statements he sites that fans would come Up To Him and say that he destroyed there child Hood because of jar jar.
    https://www.wired.com/2017/07/ahmed-...s-new-podcast/
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...phantom-menace
    The tweet where he mentioned suicide mentioned the massive media backlash. Jar Jar was hated by critics as well and considering many fans like/d jar jar and even came to his defense. Could the cause of his thought of suicide been some dude coming up to him or the fact it seemed like the entire world hated a character he put so much into and didn't seem like he would get another break?

And my point was that those twitter people today claiming you are a racist if you hate something or what ever would have been the same people back in the day claiming Jar Jar was racist which he isn't. You can't just blame fans when all excessive hate is bad.

They will never retcon such a full trilogy that has all ties and actors of the original movies.

I could imagine they get greedy enough to reboot the whole franchise. But why would that be necessary, the universe is big enough to tell other stories without interfering with the "main" story, The Mandalorian and Rogue One showed that quite well, and there are several Star Wars games out there with a good story.

Quote Originally Posted by Beet View Post
    Bahahaha I just had to say this cracked me up. Not your post really, but that it was infracted for being a FORBIDDEN TOPIC! Thou mustn’t anger thy MMO-C mods by speaking thy forbidden topics.
    It's gender. He brought up gender, which is a bad idea because nobody can discuss it politely, so it's against the rules.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Leia is probably going to be a stronk female character who needs no man and does everything herself.
    Uh...did you not watch the Original Trilogy?
    Ewoks will be replaced with Wookies.
    So like they were supposed to be?
    SUBVERSION!
    So...I am your Father?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

It’s not about one being worse it’s about visible impact. One Form of Toxicity Is just as bad as the other but if your comparing damage they don’t always match up. As far as Starwars go we have sights of visible damage (japan) causes by toxicity (the bomb) these sights are the anakin actors Lucas jar jar’s and roses actors, then we have sights of non visible damage (The testing sight) Finn’s actorKylo’s actor, these people were hit with the same toxicity for one reason or the other but it didn’t Visibly have the same impact but just because I’m impact isn’t visible doesn’t mean it never happened.

The important thing is that every one rather they suffer a visible Impact or not was hit by the same toxic fans bomb and you can’t always tell How a person responded to said impact like in the case of jar jar’s actors who went on for years without saying any thing until recent where he spook out about.
    It's very visible the damage being done. Almost like you can look at Twitter and see the people being disgusting toxic pieces of shit over the quality of a movie.

Just say people acting despicable to actors shouldn't be happening and stop there. If you have to make some lame comparison or go "But but" in any way shape or form, you are trying to downplay.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    https://www.wired.com/2017/07/ahmed-...s-new-podcast/
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...phantom-menace
    The tweet where he mentioned suicide mentioned the massive media backlash. Jar Jar was hated by critics as well and considering many fans like/d jar jar and even came to his defense. Could the cause of his thought of suicide been some dude coming up to him or the fact it seemed like the entire world hated a character he put so much into and didn't seem like he would get another break?

And my point was that those twitter people today claiming you are a racist if you hate something or what ever would have been the same people back in the day claiming Jar Jar was racist which he isn't. You can't just blame fans when all excessive hate is bad.
    Of course it’s not all from the fans and media hate is also very damaging but in his own words about it the fans were a huge issue and that lines up perfectly with what other people involved in the prequels have said about them being driven out.

The majority of the complaints focused on the character’s child-like klutziness and cluelessness. Older Star Wars fans were the harshest, offended by the presence of a high-pitched, high-energy, floppy-eared amphibian in what they considered a grownup galaxy. “I had death threats through the internet,” Best says. “I had people come to me and say, ‘You destroyed my childhood.’ That’s difficult for a 25-year-old to hear.”

But as Best’s friend Seth Green notes, the Star Wars lovers who rejected Jar Jar’s kid-pleasing shenanigans weren’t the character’s target audience in the first place. “When Episode One came out, it was after many years of no Star Wars,” says Green, a co-creator of Robot Chicken and a longtime Star Wars aficionado. “Fans who were young kids when the original trilogy came out were now adults with kids of their own, and they were trying to compare this new film to feelings accumulated over their entire lives of loving and re-watching the original trilogy…Obviously, adults wouldn’t like Jar Jar. But Ahmed didn’t deserve any scorn.”

Because Best was online and connected to the greater Star Wars fan community, he couldn’t avoid the blowback. Two of the forces that had shaped his creative life—the fandom of Star Wars and the freedom of the web—had been turned against him, and the abuse he endured was a sign of how the internet, even in the pre-Twitter era, could both personalize and dehumanize a pop-culture figure all at once.

“There were a lot of tears, there was a lot of pain, there was a lot of shit I had to deal with,” Best says. He takes a break from his meal, and leans back in his seat. “Everybody else went on. Everybody else worked. Everybody else was accepted by the zeitgeist.”
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinSum View Post
    It's very visible the damage being done. Almost like you can look at Twitter and see the people being disgusting toxic pieces of shit over the quality of a movie.

Just say people acting despicable to actors shouldn't be happening and stop there. If you have to make some lame comparison or go "But but" in any way shape or form, you are trying to downplay.
    I’ve already said multiple times that people shouldn’t be toxic for any reason and all toxicity is equally bad.

I’m not the one who brought up reylo fans or tried to break the fandoms toxicity up into subsets that was you, and if you want to compare subsets instead of just saying all toxicity is bad then the reylo subset is an minor one when it comes to damaging Starwars but no less toxic then any other.

Also if you want to stick with my bomb analogy people on twitter would be the bomb not the damage, the damage would be how the targets of those tweets react to them.

Of course it’s not all from the fans and media hate is also very damaging but in his own words about it the fans were a huge issue and that lines up perfectly with what other people involved in the prequels have said about them being driven out.
    In the actual tweet where he mentioned thinking about taking his life he mentioned the media backlash. If it had been the fans that were the main cause of it he would have at least said social media or internet backlash.

7+ Year Old Account
    In the actual tweet where he mentioned thinking about taking his life he mentioned the media backlash. If it had been the fans that were the main cause of it he would have at least said social media or internet backlash.
    mabye you can say he used the wrong term but when you put his tweet in the context of what he said in the past in the interview you linked and how involved he was in the starwars community by his own admission he wasn't just upset about the media which wasn't at all the same back when the phantom menace came out as it it is today. as you said the people on twitter calling you racist would likely be the same people who said jar jar was racist but back then they would just be mixed in with every one else in the starwars community that best him self says he was part of and that were sending him death threats and saying he destroyed there child hood.

this is all of course not to say that the media didn't play a huge roll. just that all his statements about fan hate and how it drove him to depression don't just go away because he didn't use the same exact words that he used in the earlier interview, this isn't an all or nothing issue both sides effected him and there's no reason to ignore one.

Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    JJ has his own set of problems. I'm sure we've all seen his "mystery box" ted talk by now.

A lot of the questions he set up didnt have answers. Probably why it was so easy for Rian to course change and everyone at Disney was like "Ok sure!"
    JJ Abrams needs to be shot with Chekov's Gun.

If it doesn't NEED to be mentioned, don't fucking mention it. Mystery boxes are the clickbait listicle of narrative plots.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    This popped up in my news feed a couple days ago for some reason and the whole thing just really sounds like unsubstantiated nonsense and wishful thinking to me.
    I kinda want this to be true and I still have to agree with you. This sounds like pure conjecture.

I'd let Farveau make anything he wants. Whatever he touches turns to gold and a hit.

Which people where those? The ones who hated the character or the ones who hated the character because they thought it was racist?
    Or the ones who hate the actor because he's not white?
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

mabye you can say he used the wrong term but when you put his tweet in the context of what he said in the past in the interview you linked and how involved he was in the starwars community by his own admission he wasn't just upset about the media which wasn't at all the same back when the phantom menace came out as it it is today. as you said the people on twitter calling you racist would likely be the same people who said jar jar was racist but back then they would just be mixed in with every one else in the starwars community that best him self says he was part of and that were sending him death threats and saying he destroyed there child hood.

this is all of course not to say that the media didn't play a huge roll. just that all his statements about fan hate and how it drove him to depression don't just go away because he didn't use the same exact words that he used in the earlier interview, this isn't an all or nothing issue both sides effected him and there's no reason to ignore one.
    In the past interviews he never mentioned considering taking his life. Just because an article quoted stuff from an older different article doesn't mean those two things are related. What we do know is dozens/hundreds of actors end up taking their lives when work runs dry, they feel stuck, etc....

He said there were online death threats and that someone said he ruined their childhood he never said those were the reason he considered suicide tho. In the same article it says: " He first moved to the city in 2000, to capitalize on his post-Phantom momentum. But he had trouble finding satisfying work. “I did a bunch of movies that I wasn’t 100 percent proud of just to pay the bills,” he says. “To be honest, failing and being black is very scary, because we don’t get a lot of chances, you know? I didn’t get another chance after Jar Jar. No one said, ‘You know, that didn’t work. But I believe in you, and you’re a good actor.’ I didn’t get another chance. I just struck out. But as soon as I started doing my own thing, that’s when things took off.”

Just because the other article chose certain things from the older article and didn't mention others doesn't mean they were right. They literally just made a post from his tweet and took shit from an older article its not like they actually asked him and he told them what caused it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious Tea View Post
    Or the ones who hate the actor because he's not white?
    Show me one post from back then hating him because he was black. As far as I'm aware he has never said people were racist to him because he was a black man playing Jar Jar. The only racists were the ones who claimed Jar Jar was a racist caricature. Stop being dumb and trying to make some sort of agenda.
    Last edited by qwerty123456; 2020-07-03 at 08:22 PM.

If I want anything to be remade its easily Game of Thrones season 8. I very much doubt that they will do this for Star Wars, to much damage has been done already and they failed to make Star Wars appealing to a newer generation while at the same time they alienated the older generation. The best thing they can do is to make more single movies that ties into the universe like Rogue One which was actually a good movie. Make a proper Obi-Wan and/or Darth Vader movie that shows their struggles after everything that happened in Revenge of the Sith, which isn't shown as much in A new Hope.

Which reminds me we could use something like this:

10+ Year Old Account
    Best way to go about this is a lengthy timeskip into the future, letting them soft-reboot the franchise and tell new stories without being constrained by the Skywalker saga. To be frank, in some cases the franchise is often better off when it ditches the Skywalker plotline. See KotOR, The Mandalorian, and numerous old Expanded Universe novels. Build a new status quo with a new trilogy, add new mystique to the setting, and let the Skywalker name take place among legends of the past. One thing Kylo Ren did get right is that you can't keep revisiting the same plot beat and hinge an entire franchise on it.

That's the biggest problem Terminator can't seem to get past. There's a whole wealth of worldbuilding and potential behind that franchise, but they just can't let go of the John Conner and Sarah Conner characters, or the T-800 Model 101. So it just feels like they're microwaving the same plot and re-serving it on a shinier plate each time.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    John Favreau? Last I heard, wasn't Kevin Feige supposed to be head of creative for future Star Wars films? They tried Favreau and he made a very overrated movie, then handed the reins off to Rian Johnson with no clear plotline and the rest is history. Don't see why they'd want him involved anymore.

As bad as the new trilogy is, I don't see Disney attempting to erase or retcon them. No matter how bad they are, they are Fisher's last films, and likely Hamill and Ford too as they're no spring chickens and probably wouldn't commit to another trilogy, Ford especially. The bad PR alone would be a nightmare. Just leave... uh, bad enough alone, and do a time skip or do films based on older stories like KoTR, or even come up with new stories. The Mandalorian shows coming up with new stories isn't impossible in the hands of capable and passionate people.
    do not put jon favreau in the same category as JarJar abrams plz. know what you are saying before you post...

Quote Originally Posted by Djaye View Post
    do not put jon favreau in the same category as JarJar abrams plz. know what you are saying before you post...
    I get it, I was sleepy, I fucked up. >:O I didn't edit the original post because it was pointed out just a couple posts down.

7+ Year Old Account
    In the past interviews he never mentioned considering taking his life. Just because an article quoted stuff from an older different article doesn't mean those two things are related. What we do know is dozens/hundreds of actors end up taking their lives when work runs dry, they feel stuck, etc....

He said there were online death threats and that someone said he ruined their childhood he never said those were the reason he considered suicide tho. In the same article it says: " He first moved to the city in 2000, to capitalize on his post-Phantom momentum. But he had trouble finding satisfying work. “I did a bunch of movies that I wasn’t 100 percent proud of just to pay the bills,” he says. “To be honest, failing and being black is very scary, because we don’t get a lot of chances, you know? I didn’t get another chance after Jar Jar. No one said, ‘You know, that didn’t work. But I believe in you, and you’re a good actor.’ I didn’t get another chance. I just struck out. But as soon as I started doing my own thing, that’s when things took off.”

Just because the other article chose certain things from the older article and didn't mention others doesn't mean they were right. They literally just made a post from his tweet and took shit from an older article its not like they actually asked him and he told them what caused it.
    I mean if you want to pretend he's a droid and just deleted the part of his mind that was effected by toxic fans so you can pretend starwar's doesn't have a toxicity problem you do that i guess. the reality of the situation is that this stuff doesn't happen in a vacuum these things compound and lead into each other.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    They gave themselves a 30 year window between RotJ and TFA. Endless years before TPM and a completely blank slate after TROS.

So much room for so many stories. The OT actors have moved on or no longer with us. Recasting them is a bad idea - see Solo. Whoever started the reboot rumor must be bored or Disney actually lost their mind.
    So?

1- Recasting is not a bad idea. Solo wasn't a bad movie, and there was more controversy around the 'feminist agenda' more than anything that was wrong with the film. It wasn't a fantastic Star Wars movie, but I'd say it was way better than the 'critics and fans' said it was. I even avoided it because of the criticism, and when I finally saw it, I really didn't mind the acting. Sure Ehrenreich is no Harrison Ford, and I think the writing itself could have been done better, but it was entertaining.

Han isn't even in Shadows of the Empire. Chewie is Chewie. C-3P0 too. The only two recurring main characters who would be considered to be recast are Luke and Leia, while everyone else in the story is pretty much new.

2- We have Filoni on board, and the whole movie could be CG/Animation. I just want the concept/story properly canonized with the same love and treatment that Mandalorian, the Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels have.

I always liked the idea of exploring the seedy underworld of the Black Sun, and how Xizor was this insidious non-Jedi/Sith third party who was vying to usurp control of Vader's spot next to the Emperor. But the story itself is very rooted in 90's mentality and doesn't hold up today. We're more used to seeing more serious and darker tones from being exposed to shows like Walking Dead, Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones, and that's helped set the stage for movies like Rogue One where not everything is clear cut good vs evil. Shadows of the Empire could benefit from an update.

I don't care about the 'greater Star Wars universe' that much. It's the original trilogy where my passion lies, not with the Old Republic or the New Jedi Order or whatever. I'd take Mandalorian over the New Trilogy movies any day, and it's because it explores more of the Star Wars that I love rather than expand outwards into territory that I have no invested interest in (like Podracing or 'Subverting my expectations')
    Last edited by Triceron; 2020-07-03 at 09:40 PM.