Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    im ok with that

honestly right now theres a case of microtransactions in games where it makes no sense

higher priced games means less reason for microtransactions because when jimmy buys the game for 70 bucks thats 10 dollars less he has to spend on nba coins

10+ Year Old Account
    This ultimately is just going to lead to a return to the 90s where gamers bought one console and a handful of games every year, which will have a bigger impact on the studios' bottom line than continuing with the current price-point, especially if the raised price-point is accompanied by microtransactions, paid DLC, and 'create problems, sell the solution' business strategies that EA, Activision, and Ubisoft have become notorious for.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Thoriangun View Post
    You do not need to buy games on release date, just wait a bit, and the cost goes down.

This always happens
    Nintendo would like a word

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Cancel the pre-order then?
    Never, wow is what gives me the patience to get something nearly free!
    Last edited by mcnally86; 2020-07-03 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Icon View Post
    the amount of entertainment you get from games is very inconsistent. and you pay the same price. some games can hold you for hundreds of hours while others last you a mere 10+ yet they may still be priced the same.

if you're used to paying for and playing games that gives you hundreds even thousands of hours entertainment.. are you still going to be fine with paying same price for one that only gives you double digits at most?
    There is some truth in this but you can’t measure an experience with time only. Take Dragon‘s Lair or Space Ace for example, they lasted a fraction of any platform or shoot em up or beat em up of that times but they were an “experience”.

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    I can see it now. $69.99 base game, $99.99 base game + "extras"

l o l
    That's kinda the way it is already. $50 for the base game, $60 for one extra, $100 for all the extras.

Quote Originally Posted by chiddie View Post
    There is some truth in this but you can’t measure an experience with time only. Take Dragon‘s Lair or Space Ace for example, they lasted a fraction of any platform or shoot em up or beat em up of that times but they were an “experience”.
    not familiar with any of those titles so can't really say anything to that. i've just gotten used to playing games that i can spend loads of time in so short cheap thrills might be fun but not worth as much in my book.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    That's kinda the way it is already. $50 for the base game, $60 for one extra, $100 for all the extras.
    I'm not a console player so forgive me, but has it already hit the $100 mark? Last I knew it was $59.99 for the "game" and $79.99 for the "deluxe" edition/extras.

Quote Originally Posted by mcnally86 View Post
    I disagree with the spirit of your argument. It is seen as safer to hide the true cost of the game rather than put it on the label. Heck, even the console itself is sold at cost because the companies expect to make the cash back in game licensing later. The price of a AAA game is really 85-95 a unit and the company has to make that price point some how. Now they have the research and they have a plan to squeeze that price out on average. My counter argument is game + season pass. It costs about 80-95 dollars and it comes with the full experience, shocker.
    Maybe pay their CEOs less than the 300x the average employee, and not give them insane stock options and bonus payouts on top of that?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm all for $70 games if it means there won't be day 1 DLC's or content withheld on purpose just to release a few weeks down the road.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Here is what is goin to happen:
    Game prices goes up.
    Length and quality of the games stay the same/get worse a little in some cases, which means we will continue to play beta-versions on launch.
    All manipulative cash grab crap will stay 100%, braindead whales bring so much money even 100$ per game would be less than that.
    Hamsters will keep defending their billionaire corporative overlords with everybody's favorite bullshit "bUt gAmE DeVeLoPmEnT CoStS sO MuCh nOwAdAyS".

10+ Year Old Account
    And I'll still wait for sales.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phayde View Post
    Game development has gotten more expensive, so I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner, but like others have said, I gave up buying on day 1 probably over 10 years ago, especially once the retailer exclusive, day 1 DLC and other DLC became standard. I'd rather wait 6 or months, and get a complete edition for $25 or less.
    Except games sells way more units they ever have. Profit didnt go down, it went all the fucking way up even if you remove MTX. You are just being told lies.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Maybe pay their CEOs less than the 300x the average employee, and not give them insane stock options and bonus payouts on top of that?
    That money comes from abusing working conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by razorpax View Post
    im ok with that

honestly right now theres a case of microtransactions in games where it makes no sense

higher priced games means less reason for microtransactions because when jimmy buys the game for 70 bucks thats 10 dollars less he has to spend on nba coins
    Not how its gona work jimmy.

At least the price increase will help justify all the extra bugs you'll be getting.
    @thwart <- don't click this and learn his shame
    Newsflash: 2016 Thwart would hate 2019 Thwart! Definitely don't click this either!

We see you.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I am absolutely a jerk, a complete cunt. But I encourage you to rise above.

Quote Originally Posted by Pury View Post
    Here is what is goin to happen:
    Game prices goes up.
    Length and quality of the games stay the same/get worse a little in some cases, which means we will continue to play beta-versions on launch.
    All manipulative cash grab crap will stay 100%, braindead whales bring so much money even 100$ per game would be less than that.
    Hamsters will keep defending their billionaire corporative overlords with everybody's favorite bullshit "bUt gAmE DeVeLoPmEnT CoStS sO MuCh nOwAdAyS".
    Its something like 10% of games that even get completed after sale. Most people are hamsters and are fine with it. You are the outlier.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    Not how its gona work jimmy.
    I think it is. Estimates are games cost 85-95 dollars a unit in reality. I bought Control + the season pass for 85 dollars.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    At least the price increase will help justify all the extra bugs you'll be getting.
    Those are not bugs, they are uhhh.... gifts left in for speed runners! Yea, Easter Eggs, thats the ticket!

Quote Originally Posted by mcnally86 View Post
    I think it is. Estimates are games cost 85-95 dollars a unit in reality. I bought Control + the season pass for 85 dollars.
    No Jimmy is gona pay $70 for NFL and $200 in card packs. Stop trying to think they are trying to do you a favor. They raise cost because they think gamers are dumb enough to believe it, which most are yes. If you think there wont be mtx for skins in your single player game because of that $10 you are delusional. The point is to get every single cent possible.

Quote Originally Posted by trapmaster View Post
    Nah, those were dirt cheap in the past $20-30 nes games, $30-50 snes game, Now these days games like Chrono Trigger, Super mario world, Super Mario RPG, and Zelda link to the past brand new are overpriced.
    You do realize that $50 in 1990, is the equivalent of $100 today?

If you're talking say, Legend of Zelda for NES which came out in 1986, even if you take a low estimate of it being $30 at release (despite there being evidence it was higher, such as this), That would be about $71 in today's value.

And we're still not even getting to the peak of prices, with late SNES / early N64 where prices climbed above $60 at release.

Gaming is cheaper now, with way more selection than it has ever been. Yet people are still whining like the sky is falling.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Nintendo would like a word
    I've seen Nintendo games drop from their release prices here in the UK, granted the only difference is some games don't drop down much.