Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    Im not sure why you quoted me, no shit corporations will spin anything it can for the any extra cent they can. The person i quote is just naive lmao. Sure n64 games used to sell for $70 too, remember the last n64 game that sold 30 million units? Wait no back then breaking 10 million units probably meant you where sold with a console itself.
    Because I looked it up: https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda

OoT: 7.6 million units in '98.
    MM: 3.36 million units in '00.
    TP: 8.85 million units in '06.
    BotW: 19.08 million units in '17.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

It was just an exagerated number. Might wanna address the main point. Its bullshit to say games dont make profit now lmao. They sell more copies than ever before. Smash ultimate sold 18 million copies in 2 years, thats like the top 5 n64 games put togheter. Obviously older game that rerealease a million time dont count for that. But its still a fact, the cost for making them did go up, but the sales have sky rocketed every where. The video game industry is not poor, even if you remove MTX, its still one of the most lucrative easy money. The fact someone here tried to compare video game to amusement park is funny as hell.
    You can keep your bad takes if you never complain about shitty games being recycled with no risks taken ever again. Deal?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Because I looked it up: https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda

OoT: 7.6 million units in '98.
    MM: 3.36 million units in '00.
    TP: 8.85 million units in '06.
    BotW: 19.08 million units in '17.
    Every Nintendo franchise besides Pokemon is recording record high sales on the Switch(even then Pokemon is doing better then 3DS numbers, just not Game Boy numbers). This is a Nintendo only thing though, and Nintendo isn't one of the companies talking about raising their prices so not sure why they keep being brought up.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2020-07-03 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    You can keep your bad takes if you never complain about shitty games being recycled with no risks taken ever again. Deal?
    Imagine thinking an extra $10 is gona actually result in risk being taken where none where taken already lol. Even if fifa was $200, it would still be the same copy pasted garbage every year. Let me guess, you also believe in trickle down economy, praying for donald trump tax breaks to make people richer anytime soon too?

Quote Originally Posted by Ladey Gags View Post
    Everything you listed other than movies at overpriced theaters are well worth their values as they are unique, sensory social experiences that can’t be replicated. A video game is a fucking video game (yes I know they can also be social but it’s nowhere near as comparable to a face to face in-person social experience). A complete and total waste of time. I’m not spending $70 to waste time. $50 is pushing it.
    Understandable. However, it also means you aren't really the target market.

Been paying $80 ($92 with taxes here in Manitoba) here in Canada. If it jumps up to $70 USD, Canadians are gonna be paying $95 without tax. That's fucked lmao Gonna be paying over $100 for a single fucking game that doesn't even have all of its available content on release.

I'm so glad I didn't take school to enter the gaming industry. What a shithole it's been.

Imagine thinking an extra $10 is gona actually result in risk being taken where none where taken already lol. Even if fifa was $200, it would still be the same copy pasted garbage every year. Let me guess, you also believe in trickle down economy, praying for donald trump tax breaks to make people richer anytime soon too?
    The fact you bring up FIFA as an example tells me the point flew way over your head.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    Been paying $80 ($92 with taxes here in Manitoba) here in Canada. If it jumps up to $70 USD, Canadians are gonna be paying $95 without tax.it's been.
    Big same I love paying $129.99+ for deluxe edition games.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Obvious joke is obvious
    Not obvious enough, There's a lot of clueless/stupid people out there, so you can never really be sure who's serious and who's joking.

Yes and DVD players used to be $500. Can we stop falling into the trap that multi billion profit companies are not making a profit on games! None of them are opperating on loss, even if all they did was sold games with no MTX.
    Apples to oranges my friend. A DVD player hasn't significantly changed in functionality since release. The cost to make it has also gone down. You can't argue the same about games.

There is no "trap". There is only people's failure to understand financials. Not every company is making money hand over fist.

Ubisoft lost money in 2019. Twice as much as it made in 2018.
    Take 2's EBIT as a % of revenue for the last 3 years was 8.72%, 7.62% and 4.32%.
    Square Enix was 6.81%.

The only companies posting consistent significant returns are those who are generating high ancillary revenue (Activision), churning out the same game without changing much, or a combination of both (EA).

Quote Originally Posted by razorpax View Post
    im ok with that

honestly right now theres a case of microtransactions in games where it makes no sense

higher priced games means less reason for microtransactions because when jimmy buys the game for 70 bucks thats 10 dollars less he has to spend on nba coins
    Let's say every game's price rose by $10. Do you honestly believe EA, Activison Blizzard, Ubisoft, Square Enix, Rockstar Games, etc. etc. wouldn't still fill their games with microtransactions? The games industry has worked hard to normalize microtransactions. If not for the backlash of Battlefront II having literal p2w lootboxes we'd be seeing lootboxes in just about every online multiplayer game released today.

When the games industry normalizes a price hike, and it will happen eventually, it won't be at the cost of microtransactions. It will be in addition to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnomesized View Post
    Remember when they said games would be much cheaper if there was no piracy?
    A shame we'll never know, considering people will never stop being cheap pieces of shit that think they are entitled to things they don't pay for.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    But its still a fact, the cost for making them did go up
    The dev pay or for the other positions that get minimum wage rose up ? Thats great news! Oh its just for Kotick and his golf palls from EA, Bethesda etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    $70 for a game is gonna drive people away from gaming. Paying $60 was already a stretch
    I mean, during atari and even NES era the games ranged around 80$ at times and that's without inflation... so no, doubt it's gonna drive people away.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krastyn View Post
    Apples to oranges my friend. A DVD player hasn't significantly changed in functionality since release. The cost to make it has also gone down. You can't argue the same about games.

There is no "trap". There is only people's failure to understand financials. Not every company is making money hand over fist.

Ubisoft lost money in 2019. Twice as much as it made in 2018.
    Take 2's EBIT as a % of revenue for the last 3 years was 8.72%, 7.62% and 4.32%.
    Square Enix was 6.81%.

The only companies posting consistent significant returns are those who are generating high ancillary revenue (Activision), churning out the same game without changing much, or a combination of both (EA).
    ubisoft lost money after a string of very expensive fiascos and taking extra time off for the next releases.

Games definitely haven't kept up with inflation, having said that however, I don't feel games companies are doing things that provide value for the money spent for the most part as well as they 100% spend unwisely. If every AAA game was on par with say Witcher 3, I would 100% be fine with $70+ price tags. But since we far to frequently get things like Anthem, I can't justify $70+ games almost at all anymore.
    Noirluna the Immortal of Proudmoore

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    I mean, during atari and even NES era the games ranged around 80$ at times and that's without inflation... so no, doubt it's gonna drive people away.
    And if you count that people jobs were hit by CCP virus and they have even less money, the purchasing power for games will go down. It was great for some people at start as they were forced to stay at home and play games, but they cant keep that forever.

However this is a great time for any competition to jump in and lower the price of their games as if game is cheaper, more people would prefer to buy it over the overpriced AAA trash.

I just hope Eu countrys would do some laws against microtrash, as it would greatly hurt the big publishers. (like UK did recently)

More money for less content than ever before

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya View Post
    Games definitely haven't kept up with inflation, having said that however, I don't feel games companies are doing things that provide value for the money spent for the most part as well as they 100% spend unwisely. If every AAA game was on par with say Witcher 3, I would 100% be fine with $70+ price tags. But since we far to frequently get things like Anthem, I can't justify $70+ games almost at all anymore.
    Personaly i think that recent sonic racing game could easy have a higher price as its pretty good quality unlike some other AAA products (from 40 euros to 50).

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    A shame we'll never know, considering people will never stop being cheap pieces of shit that think they are entitled to things they don't pay for.
    sell me a full game and ill pay an extra 33%

dont hide shit behind micro transactions like a damn color tint for 4 bucks
    dont cut out story moment and use it as "new story dlc chapter 2"
    dont cut out modes from the previous installment just to add it later as DLC

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited Power View Post
    Let's say every game's price rose by $10. Do you honestly believe EA, Activison Blizzard, Ubisoft, Square Enix, Rockstar Games, etc. etc. wouldn't still fill their games with microtransactions? The games industry has worked hard to normalize microtransactions. If not for the backlash of Battlefront II having literal p2w lootboxes we'd be seeing lootboxes in just about every online multiplayer game released today.

When the games industry normalizes a price hike, and it will happen eventually, it won't be at the cost of microtransactions. It will be in addition to them.
    i get that

i just see alot of microtransactions happening disappearing because of the increase

they wont be removed but eventually they will decline

Aren't they that much now? I never buy games on release day (except for WoW Collector's Editions) so I don't know.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!