Thread: Wow housing

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Wow housing

So, this has been something I've wanted since Vanilla. Yes, I know people consider Garrisons their attempt, but Garrisons had several expansion necessary features. We could have housing be strictly cosmetic. Like transmog, or pet battles which go from expansion to expansion. I'd pay, willingly, for housing cosmetics. It wouldn't affect gameplay, so why not?

Blizzard's analytics team determined it would cost more to implement then it would yield in return.

This is literally the answer for every missing feature of the game.

No thanks, I don't want player housing anywhere near WoW.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Bbrigham View Post
    It wouldn't affect gameplay, so why not?
    You did not get Garrisons at all. Did you even played WoD?
    -

This horse has been beaten to pulp. Go play the Sims if you need a dollhouse.

3+ Year Old Account
    Other games did it extremely well, so why not WoW? And Garrisions were ok the first few months of WoD, but they started to become boring
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    Blizzard's analytics team determined it would cost more to implement then it would yield in return.

This is literally the answer for every missing feature of the game.
    In all honesty? This is actually highly unlikely. I say this, because virtually (literally?) every other MMO on the market has a Housing system, even the most cash-grabby ones. Garrisons were certainly not "housing", but they laid enough foundations they could likely reuse some or even much of the code (if you think about buildings as "pieces of furniture", you can sort of see how it could potentially be modified).

The problem is, at least at the time, the folks running WoW clearly just didn't *understand* what a Housing system was, and so were hellbent against it. It's abundantly clear that analytics teams aren't deciding what content is added, because Blizzard keeps trying to add World PvP to a game where the audience so clearly doesn't give a shit (Ashran should've been the nail in the coffin).

Meanwhile, it doesn't feel like Shadowlands is being crafted with any sort of meaningful vision. It's an expansion I would struggle to describe with any other word than "safe". Which isn't necessarily bad, but it feels like WoW needs someone to come in and shake things up a little more.

Wouldnt mind player housing but it would end up having rmt store items.

Quote Originally Posted by Usernameforforums View Post
    Wouldnt mind player housing but it would end up having rmt store items.
    Nothing wrong with that

I don't trust Blizzard to do player housing anymore. They're owned by Activision so if housing was ever included, it would be bare bones and the only way to get really cool stuff would be microtransactions. So at this point, I'd rather housing NEVER be included now because it would be garbage for players that don't want to throw mountains of money at Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    I don't trust Blizzard to do player housing anymore. They're owned by Activision so if housing was ever included, it would be bare bones and the only way to get really cool stuff would be microtransactions. So at this point, I'd rather housing NEVER be included now because it would be garbage for players that don't want to throw mountains of money at Blizzard.
    What's wrong with paying for cosmetics

Has there even been player housing in any game at the scale of World of Warcraft? They'd have to consider millions of homes created and managed,

10+ Year Old Account
    It wouldn't affect gameplay, so why not?
    Doesn't matter. A lot of the Garrison didn't either and that didn't go well. People will find a way to make an uproar about it. I would love housing but considering the handling of Garrisons from both Blizzard and players, I don't have much hope.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    No thanks, I don't want player housing anywhere near WoW.
    why not? In what conceivable way would this effect the game negatively for you?

Housing would be a good feature indeed. I loved the Garrison which is wrong accused of being bad cause of the lack of outside world features/rewards. I loved my garrison and still do and do go back there sometimes.
    But in a housing system, they really don't need to tie character progression systems to it.

Everything. It's different when only SOME cosmetics are microtransactions. But Activision would want ALL of them to be microtransactions. Housing should be something that is most improved through gameplay. Making it all microtransactions would piss everyone off and would likely cause people to leave the game. I absolutely would.

Because there's obviously a better way?

EQ2 housing is top tier, and entire crafting professions in the game are dedicated to cosmetics for this house.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    Has there even been player housing in any game at the scale of World of Warcraft? They'd have to consider millions of homes created and managed,
    That's the wrong question and it's loaded as you know that no mmo ever reached wows player population. So let's start with real questions.

The houses would obviously be instanced of which wow has proved it can run hundreds of thousands of concurrently (dungeons). And EQ2 definitely ran hundreds of thousands of instanced houses successfully. So to the real part of your question, yes it has been done.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Everything. It's different when only SOME cosmetics are microtransactions. But Activision would want ALL of them to be microtransactions. Housing should be something that is most improved through gameplay. Making it all microtransactions would piss everyone off and would likely cause people to leave the game. I absolutely would.
    Why not both. Nothing wrong with crafting, and nothing wrong incentivizing Blizz to make awesome things, aka store mounts

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    You did not get Garrisons at all. Did you even played WoD?
    Garrisons were designed to affect gameplay rather than be just a cosmetic hangout.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    This horse has been beaten to pulp. Go play the Sims if you need a dollhouse.
    That's the argument of a child.

Housing has been in most major RPG's since forever. One of the biggest mod sections for oblivion is for custom housing, despite being able to buy regular housing. Skyrim designed an entire DLC around this.

But sure let's dismiss it as a dollhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    That's not really an argument since garrisons exist. Also FFXIV