Thread: Wow housing

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkz View Post
    tradr chat being enabled inside garrisons was imo, the top reason players stayed in garrisons. once you had a auction house set up in garrison this was like hanging out in a capital city.

- full communications with all faction capital cites
    - faster access to your bank
    - access to a mail box
    Interesting thought I never realized before. If player housing did NOT have basic amenities like trade chat, mailbox, ability to mount to use brutosaur, then I'd end up spending very little time in my house.

If they did add all those features there'd be little reason for me to be in a city.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Mythic Dungeons are nothing like what they were when first introduced in MoP. they've undergone changes in every expansion since.
    No... Challenge Mode was introduced in MoP. Mythic Dungeons (technically) were added in WoD, but the first actual Mythic+ was added in Legion. In my point, I was talking specifically about Mythic+.

Blizzard would abandon it like Garrisons, Mage Tower, and Scenarios
    Abandon is too strong a word here. As Horrific Visions was described (by Blizzard Devs) as the Mage Tower equivalent for BFA but "improved/expanded". And scenarios do semi-exist in BFA. Not the 3 man scenarios of MoP but there are several questing scenarios that are using that tech to tell stories.

Like many other things Blizzard is known for, they iterate on systems. Sometimes it's clear where they get their inspiration from, other times it's not as clear.

In reference to player housing, I could easily see it as a MTX extension and I think players would be fine with it. I mean, there are already exclusive mounts, pets, and yes even cosmetic transmog (remember those $5 crowns?) in the store. And honestly given how much players keep revisiting player housing as a topic, then I'd say bring on all the MTX to fund it.

I personally won't use player housing but let the whales in WoW pay for all that development with excessive MTX.

In a way that might even help the WoW token prices as gold can be indirectly used to fund that development.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lefrog View Post
    If they did add all those features there'd be little reason for me to be in a city.
    And that's basically one of the arguments (by Blizzard devs) on why Garrisons weren't moving forward. Having those basic amenities kept players in their garrisons which caused expansion hub cities to be ghost towns.
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as they don't affect the world.

player housing would be nice if every house was a real place in the real world. with phasing, like they did with garrisons, it just isn't that much fun.
    ...that's just my opinion, anyway.

All of this cosmological stuff is too boring for me. I'd like to get Warcraft back, please. my thing is killing defias and orcs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    You did not get Garrisons at all. Did you even played WoD?
    Garrisons were NOT "player housing". They ended up being a shell of what was shown at the BlizzCon that announced WoD. There was so much more that was planned for them, but Blizzard clearly gave up on WoD before it even launched. They literally cut an entire content patch (2 instances and a raid) out that explained why we're suddenly buddy-buddy with Grom, just to get it the xpac over with. They have the systems and assets to attempt legit player housing again, and there's more than enough people who've been asking for fully customization housing for the last 15 years, there's no reason why Blizzard wouldn't do.
    ON WEDNESDAYS WE WEAR PINK

10+ Year Old Account
    Transmog isn't really a game mechanic.
    M+ is NOTHING like what it was when it was first introduced.
    but you see, both of these basic concepts were introduced in past expansions, and continue to be given updates and attention.

It's changed every expansion since it was introduced.
    Housing could be introduced.. and changed (read: updated) to be given new pieces or functions as time goes on.

i understand your concern about housing being monetized in someway, but i also disagree as to the extent. there isnt any precedent in WoW that your suggestion of "all housing/features" would be fully 100% micro-transactions.

Blizzard simply hasnt shown any indication so far to suggest if housing were introduced, it would be fully micro-transaction based.

edit: im not sure what functions should and shouldnt be included in housing, as its important to have some reasons to be in actual cities. but housing does need some sort of bait or usefulness about it. so obviously an area of debate.

also, since housing would not be popular if it was fully MTX based, im ok with a partial concept. some things MTX many things in game.
    Last edited by Sinndra; 2020-07-06 at 04:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    but you see, both of these basic concepts were introduced in past expansions, and continue to be given updates and attention.

Housing could be introduced.. and changed (read: updated) to be given new pieces or functions as time goes on.

i understand your concern about housing being monetized in someway, but i also disagree as to the extent. there isnt any precedent in WoW that your suggestion of "all housing/features" would be fully 100% micro-transactions.

Blizzard simply hasnt shown any indication so far to suggest if housing were introduced, it would be fully micro-transaction based.
    Blizzard is owned by Activision. When Destiny 2 was under Activision, practically everything was monetized. Sure, some good expansions came out but the microtransactions were egregious. The current cash shop for WoW has been expanding more and more. It used to be just mounts and pets. Then transmog options and toys were introduced. Because whales will spend the money, Activision sees that as an excuse for monetizing player housing. With how WoW has been progressing in the regard, I would expect player housing to be free at its based but if you want the REALLY cool stuff then it would likely be microtransactions rather than having it earned like they are in FF14 and SWTOR.

So I'm not saying ALL of it would be microtransactions but it would likely be like the terrible ESO model. You get something small and crappy for free and have to shell out actual real money for anything better.

Player housing wouldnt be a problem to impliment with current phasing and instancing tech, but the question still stands, should they? Imo, no. It falls into the category of "you think you do but you dont" WoW isnt a casual styled game like others with housing (ffxiv, lotro, bdo, archeage, ect. ect.) WoW is solely focused on endgame with raids, mythic, and pvp, other games like ffxiv have so much casual content and so little endgame that housing and putting together clothes is viewed by some as their endgame. Long story short, theres no place for housing in WoW

I like the idea of housing, but one thing I believe to be problematic is that Azeroth no longer seems to matter. The world doesn't scale around you, nothing is really threatening outside. To add a little perspective, let's say that players who have houses in Stonetalon Peak, for instance, had to fight back some greedy goblins? What about those living in the Barrens, wouldn't it be a nice idea to fight Centaurs and Quillboars that have started to expand their territories? What about those living around Stormwind? The Defias, stray Orcs, Hogger's buddies or murlocs try to sack villages? Why not have characters come and help?

If done like this, there could a lot more depth to the world, and the player housing would be more than mere cosmetics. In a way, something similar to the defence of the village in the latest Ys game could be a big win, and, once developed, it would require iteration, not huge overhauls.

The problem is that Blizzard cannot seem to understand what makes Azeroth interesting, and is not interested in developing the races in their zones, or cannot care for what happens to the old zones. At this point in time, whatever happens in the zones gets told in a book, or the place is completely forgotten.

Blizzard is owned by Activision. When Destiny 2 was under Activision, practically everything was monetized. Sure, some good expansions came out but the microtransactions were egregious. The current cash shop for WoW has been expanding more and more. It used to be just mounts and pets. Then transmog options and toys were introduced. Because whales will spend the money, Activision sees that as an excuse for monetizing player housing. With how WoW has been progressing in the regard, I would expect player housing to be free at its based but if you want the REALLY cool stuff then it would likely be microtransactions rather than having it earned like they are in FF14 and SWTOR.

So I'm not saying ALL of it would be microtransactions but it would likely be like the terrible ESO model. You get something small and crappy for free and have to shell out actual real money for anything better.
    Pretty much this. If Blizzard ever introduced proper player housing, we should all expect most of the stuff would be placed in the store like in ESO. Whatever you can obtain in game would be a pain in the ass and the cool stuff would be on store.

If they were to put actual content behind how you actually obtain stuff for your house, that would require alot of development time beyond just creating the items. Quests, zones++ would have to be programmed and put into the game for us to obtain for this feature. By just putting it on the store they just need to create stuff and leave it there.

I am playing ESO right now and I have tried the housing feature just to see whats going on. Its utter shite what you get for free, most(all) cool stuff is on the store.

If someone said player housing 10-15 years ago, before microstransaction, I would probably support it. Today? Nah, waste of time for the players.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Niter View Post
    I like the idea of housing, but one thing I believe to be problematic is that Azeroth no longer seems to matter. The world doesn't scale around you, nothing is really threatening outside. To add a little perspective, let's say that players who have houses in Stonetalon Peak, for instance, had to fight back some greedy goblins? What about those living in the Barrens, wouldn't it be a nice idea to fight Centaurs and Quillboars that have started to expand their territories? What about those living around Stormwind? The Defias, stray Orcs, Hogger's buddies or murlocs try to sack villages? Why not have characters come and help?

If done like this, there could a lot more depth to the world, and the player housing would be more than mere cosmetics. In a way, something similar to the defence of the village in the latest Ys game could be a big win, and, once developed, it would require iteration, not huge overhauls.

The problem is that Blizzard cannot seem to understand what makes Azeroth interesting, and is not interested in developing the races in their zones, or cannot care for what happens to the old zones. At this point in time, whatever happens in the zones gets told in a book, or the place is completely forgotten.
    With a MMO going for over 15 years, theres bound to be alot of zones that "dont matter" anymore. Its impossible for Blizzard to create constant relevant zones. They did it in Cata, and how long did that last for the playerbase? Not that long.

Now I do agree that Blizzard should find ways to make the older zones relevant and alive somewhat. Atleast the Kalimdor/Easter K zones. The question is when and how much of development should be put into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    Blizzard's analytics team determined it would cost more to implement then it would yield in return.
    Because that's exactly what a game that is currently struggling with getting its players to communicate and engage with one another needs: More reasons to fuck off and stay in your happy little house.

I just don't believe that WoW has the physics and Gameplay to make housing interesting. Compare it to ArcheAge and FFXIV.

Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    Pretty much this. If Blizzard ever introduced proper player housing, we should all expect most of the stuff would be placed in the store like in ESO. Whatever you can obtain in game would be a pain in the ass and the cool stuff would be on store.

If they were to put actual content behind how you actually obtain stuff for your house, that would require alot of development time beyond just creating the items. Quests, zones++ would have to be programmed and put into the game for us to obtain for this feature. By just putting it on the store they just need to create stuff and leave it there.

I am playing ESO right now and I have tried the housing feature just to see whats going on. Its utter shite what you get for free, most(all) cool stuff is on the store.

If someone said player housing 10-15 years ago, before microstransaction, I would probably support it. Today? Nah, waste of time for the players.

- - - Updated - - -

With a MMO going for over 15 years, theres bound to be alot of zones that "dont matter" anymore. Its impossible for Blizzard to create constant relevant zones. They did it in Cata, and how long did that last for the playerbase? Not that long.

Now I do agree that Blizzard should find ways to make the older zones relevant and alive somewhat. Atleast the Kalimdor/Easter K zones. The question is when and how much of development should be put into it.
    I agree that it would be hard to keep all of them relevant, but they don't need so much in the way of resources to make a few zones worthy of our time. The problem with Cataclysm is that levelling was so quick that we had all green/grey quests before we were done with the zone. Their latest change to have the world scale with the character is a good one, but it came far too late to make the changes that they made in Cataclysm relevant, in my opinion.

If I were to consider such a system more thoroughly, I'd start by thinking about a few zones that could enhance player experience and progress the story. Let's see what I can come up as I write:
    - Horde (Orcs and Trolls): reclaiming the Barrens from Alliance troops that refused to leave and have gone rogue or allied with some other neutral faction. Players have their homes in areas that caught these former Alliance troops, and get to defend their yard from them.
    - Horde (Tauren, Orcs, Trolls): Qullboars and Centaurs have started to rise up after so many conflicts spreading the defenses in the Barrens and Mulgore too thinly. Now that the character has settled there, keeping it could make sense.
    - Horde (Blood Elves and Undead): after Sylvanas destroyed the Helm, Undead troops in the area have gone rampant, attacking a few key areas. As someone settling in the areas nearby, the defence of the area is also your responsibility. This area could be the outskirts of the Ghostlands or Eversong Woods.
    - Horde (Undead and Blood Elves): the Scarlet Crusade seem to be reborn. Although not as strong, after big wars and with the leaders concerned with the Shadowlands, resources and troops can't be easily committed, so those settling in the affected areas need to take arms.
    - Alliance (Night Elves and Worgen) and the Horde (all races): Garrosh and Sylvanas loyalists that remained in Ashenvale seem not to respect the armistice and keep on trying to sabotage travellers, merchants and patrols in Ashenvale (either Forest Song or Silverwind). Both sides get to try and get the upper hand.
    - Alliance (Humans, etc): Westfall is under a lot of disrepair and is targeted by the Defias, gnolls and murlocs. It falls to the new settlers to help defend the lands and farm them.
    - Alliance (Worgen, Humans): having settled in Silverpine, or even in Gilneas, the settlers have to eliminate Forsaken, the Scourge and rabid other Worgen attempting to hunt in the area.
    - Alliance (Dwarves, Gnomes): Loch Modan has become a dangerous place. Troggs, Murlocs and remnants of the Twilight Hammer coming from the areas nearby all attack on occasion. Settlers coming here try to restore the Loch while keeping these at bay.

Then players would have:
    - simple 'invasions' to repel
    - decorate and personalise their homes
    - send allies/servants on missions
    - defeat elites
    - get enough rep/badges to get more customisation options, or mounts, or a hearthstone to their homes
    - see some changes to the land every once in a while

The 'formula' could be pretty much the same, they would connect the races to the lore a bit more and have the players be interested in areas that are not merely the end game zones or the capitals and players would decide whether to invest in that. It's pretty much a single system, most of the assets are already in the game, and players would get something else to do.

Blizzard might even decide to have invasions not so dissimilar to what we saw in Legion, having the next enemies send some forces to harass the characters' homes in an attempt to throw them off balance, or some B or C-team villains could try to conquer or sack these areas. It wouldn't be too hard to do, and, once in place, iterating is simple.

Including some collectable options in older instances and raids would make players have something else to hunt and collect, also adding depth and stuff to do in the game.

These systems can work, and will definitely provide a lot of players with something else to do other raiding or doing world quests all the time, and iterating on them should mean simple tweaks here and there to keep things running well.

Quote Originally Posted by Itori View Post
    Player housing wouldnt be a problem to impliment with current phasing and instancing tech, but the question still stands, should they? Imo, no. It falls into the category of "you think you do but you dont" WoW isnt a casual styled game like others with housing (ffxiv, lotro, bdo, archeage, ect. ect.) WoW is solely focused on endgame with raids, mythic, and pvp, other games like ffxiv have so much casual content and so little endgame that housing and putting together clothes is viewed by some as their endgame. Long story short, theres no place for housing in WoW
    I think it has a place to show off your achievements like boss heads and stuff. I believe the mount collecting community would love something like this as they are also likely to be part of the tmog collecting community. People like to collect stuff, even the most hardcore of players.

Do i want housing? I mean, i wouldnt say no. But im more or less indifferent on the subject. But to say it doesnt have a place in wow is just a wrong statement.

I would rather them make a great expansion rather than use valuable resources and time for a side project. The only way i can see them implementing housing is to add a new team to make the housing system possible.

Blizzard does what blizzard wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Jesus. What impatience! Do you think the features launch with everything already available? Have you ever even played a housing system on an mmo? That is very silly to say. Having housing doesn't mean you are gonna have a housing ward on every zone in the game. Blizzard chooses where they want it and they give a number of customization that fit with that theme. That's it. In time the features gets expanded to new decorations and new wards.
    If SWTOR, FFXIV and ESO can do it and people love it, it is beyond me why WoW players are so stubborn about it except ignorance of how the system works. Housing gives activity to the whole game. Reputations, classic dungeons/raids/pvp and current iterations. It adds more rewards and more objectives while in now way forcing anyone to do it.
    It would massively drive engagement and it's evergreen content.
    Man, 3 replies all assuming I'm against it. It wasn't an argument for or against player housing. Just a question as to whether or not it's been done to the scale of World of Warcraft/ I received zero responses on how they'd be able to affectively manage several million player houses.

I'd love to see it done like SWG personally. So when I talk about scale within regards to player housing, I'm wondering how and where Blizz devs would be able to fit and manage several million SWG homes in their landscape.

Geese dude. In here too? Be nice man.

Quote Originally Posted by Niter View Post
    I agree that it would be hard to keep all of them relevant, but they don't need so much in the way of resources to make a few zones worthy of our time. The problem with Cataclysm is that levelling was so quick that we had all green/grey quests before we were done with the zone. Their latest change to have the world scale with the character is a good one, but it came far too late to make the changes that they made in Cataclysm relevant, in my opinion.

If I were to consider such a system more thoroughly, I'd start by thinking about a few zones that could enhance player experience and progress the story. Let's see what I can come up as I write:
    - Horde (Orcs and Trolls): reclaiming the Barrens from Alliance troops that refused to leave and have gone rogue or allied with some other neutral faction. Players have their homes in areas that caught these former Alliance troops, and get to defend their yard from them.
    - Horde (Tauren, Orcs, Trolls): Qullboars and Centaurs have started to rise up after so many conflicts spreading the defenses in the Barrens and Mulgore too thinly. Now that the character has settled there, keeping it could make sense.
    - Horde (Blood Elves and Undead): after Sylvanas destroyed the Helm, Undead troops in the area have gone rampant, attacking a few key areas. As someone settling in the areas nearby, the defence of the area is also your responsibility. This area could be the outskirts of the Ghostlands or Eversong Woods.
    - Horde (Undead and Blood Elves): the Scarlet Crusade seem to be reborn. Although not as strong, after big wars and with the leaders concerned with the Shadowlands, resources and troops can't be easily committed, so those settling in the affected areas need to take arms.
    - Alliance (Night Elves and Worgen) and the Horde (all races): Garrosh and Sylvanas loyalists that remained in Ashenvale seem not to respect the armistice and keep on trying to sabotage travellers, merchants and patrols in Ashenvale (either Forest Song or Silverwind). Both sides get to try and get the upper hand.
    - Alliance (Humans, etc): Westfall is under a lot of disrepair and is targeted by the Defias, gnolls and murlocs. It falls to the new settlers to help defend the lands and farm them.
    - Alliance (Worgen, Humans): having settled in Silverpine, or even in Gilneas, the settlers have to eliminate Forsaken, the Scourge and rabid other Worgen attempting to hunt in the area.
    - Alliance (Dwarves, Gnomes): Loch Modan has become a dangerous place. Troggs, Murlocs and remnants of the Twilight Hammer coming from the areas nearby all attack on occasion. Settlers coming here try to restore the Loch while keeping these at bay.

Then players would have:
    - simple 'invasions' to repel
    - decorate and personalise their homes
    - send allies/servants on missions
    - defeat elites
    - get enough rep/badges to get more customisation options, or mounts, or a hearthstone to their homes
    - see some changes to the land every once in a while

The 'formula' could be pretty much the same, they would connect the races to the lore a bit more and have the players be interested in areas that are not merely the end game zones or the capitals and players would decide whether to invest in that. It's pretty much a single system, most of the assets are already in the game, and players would get something else to do.

Blizzard might even decide to have invasions not so dissimilar to what we saw in Legion, having the next enemies send some forces to harass the characters' homes in an attempt to throw them off balance, or some B or C-team villains could try to conquer or sack these areas. It wouldn't be too hard to do, and, once in place, iterating is simple.

Including some collectable options in older instances and raids would make players have something else to hunt and collect, also adding depth and stuff to do in the game.

These systems can work, and will definitely provide a lot of players with something else to do other raiding or doing world quests all the time, and iterating on them should mean simple tweaks here and there to keep things running well.
    Yeah I agree with you, something like this would be great. I think that most of the legwork would have to be done until housing feature is launched. When housing first is in the game, it wont require much to keep it relevant. They could add smaller events, quests, invasions++ over the course of many years.

Dont get me wrong - I would like to have the feature in the game, I just fear ActiBlizz would take the easy route with 95% of it on the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    Blizzard's analytics team determined it would cost more to implement then it would yield in return.

This is literally the answer for every missing feature of the game.
    Can't really stress this enough.

And this isn't just Blizzard being mean, by the way - this is how most companies operate. If you want to spend money, first explain how that will actually pay off. Of course, the real debate is in scope and perspective: designers would argue it will pay off in the long term, creating a better overall product that will retain players better and attract new players; while the managers will say fuck the long term, we have quarterly reports to impress investors with and it better show SOON not two years down the line nobody gives a shit about that far in the future profit has to be NOW.

Exaggerated, of course, but also far too much truth in there. Works for politics, too, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    WoW made billions of dollars, so why not other games?

Maybe because you cannot just plug something from another game and make it work? Even the guys who straight out went "We are not in Azeroth anymore" have now shut down. Serious question: Even if other games did it extremely well, is there data how well the feature was received and how many participated in it? Was it popular (I guess it was a selling point of Wildstar...btw another game that has shut down)

But honestly....I have seen concepts that people suggested for housing...so...I guess it is a feature I don't mind. I mean...they managed to get their little Pokemon or Candy Crush sub games into WoW.

But even without any thoughts by Blizzard on this yet, the concept is highly controversial (even among only the handful of ppl bothering to debate it on the forum) - I guess they don't even want to step into this guaranteed shitstorm. Chances is that even the people who now want housing will hate whatever Blizzard does with it.
    It becomes an issue if it takes away resources/devtime from other content in the game. I doubt people would be happy if housing was announced as a major feature in next xpac just to realise it came to an expense for content at max level.

Whether you like wow or not, one cant disagree that the game usually delivers on decent content, especially PvE. Ups and down yes, but better than most MMORPGs out there. If they suddenly were to shift focus to something else, that could come at a cost.

and as you said - it will be very tricky for Blizzard to put housing into the game without potentially piss everyone off, even those who want housing.

Housing works great in SwToR.

The main thing I want in it though is account wide huge reagent bank.