Thread: Cyberpunk 2077

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    It means he's LIKE a bad fanfic character.
    I don't really think you know what bad fanfic character is. Geralt is far from that.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    They are hated not because they are ugly but because they are different from the average drunk in tavern = the norm. People fear what they dont understand/know and you an easily switch that fear into hate. This is really strong topic in witcher universe.
    Cool, I didn't say he was hated because he was ugly. If he was ugly that would be interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    I don't really think you know what bad fanfic character is. Geralt is far from that.
    Ok then he's not a bad fanfic character. Lets go with so boring his voice puts me to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Andonais View Post
    At the end of the day like Skyrim it will be judged more on the rpg mechanics and story choice rather than combat.
    Skyrim was not that good in rpg to be honest... its was more about in his globality + mods communauty that it a good game because tbh skyrim vanilla alone is not that good...

For cyberpunk, i think the story line and his globality will make it a great game

Quote Originally Posted by kaintk View Post
    Skyrim was not that good in rpg to be honest... its was more about in his globality + mods communauty that it a good game because tbh skyrim vanilla alone is not that good...

For cyberpunk, i think the story line and his globality will make it a great game
    Skyrim in its vanilla form is why it gets ported to the smart fridge. That it's so much better with mods does not change the fact that the base game is a solid experience. The mod community got so big at least in part because people love the base game so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

Cool, I didn't say he was hated because he was ugly. If he was ugly that would be interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok then he's not a bad fanfic character. Lets go with so boring his voice puts me to sleep.
    Woow Man, your so cool man soo cool !! You come on some random forum on the internet to shit post some random people's favorite character! Wow soo cool sooo cool and edgy man! Now you can show on Instagram how edgy you are! soo cool soo cool

It means he's LIKE a bad fanfic character.
    Huh? Gerald is awesome. Maybe you can show us some well written, compelling -not fanfic characters so we can all learn (or laugh at your taste)?

Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    Huh? Gerald is awesome. Maybe you can show us some well written, compelling -not fanfic characters so we can all learn (or laugh at your taste)?
    To be honest Geralt IS kinda cheesy, he is ripped, handsome, is master warrior who has no equall, can use magic, he is banging nearly entire female magical and non magical population. I can see where the fanfic argument is coming from.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sodia View Post
    Woow Man, your so cool man soo cool !! You come on some random forum on the internet to shit post some random people's favorite character! Wow soo cool sooo cool and edgy man! Now you can show on Instagram how edgy you are! soo cool soo cool
    Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    Thank you for showing me that even Gerald's fans suck.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thank you for showing me that even Gerald's fans suck.
    Do you have any examples of well written characters though? Because otherwise.....

OT: I'm just hoping my 1080 won't explode when I try to run this game at 1440p

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    Do you have any examples of well written characters though? Because otherwise.....
    Otherwise what? What will happen if i say nothing? Will the Gerald fan club send an assassin after me? If you like Gerald when why does it matter if i think he sucks? Is it because deep down you don't really like him? So you want to know what i like so you can say Haha that sucks.

To be honest Geralt IS kinda cheesy, he is ripped, handsome, is master warrior who has no equall, can use magic, he is banging nearly entire female magical and non magical population. I can see where the fanfic argument is coming from.
    I do agree with this. His personality is fine which saves him, but in terms of what he is and what he does Geralt totally does come across as a wish fulfillment character. Even then the third game toned this down a bit given that much of the humor was about either mocking the serious faced Witcher or having him serve as the straight man in ridiculous situations. They also put the brakes on the banging starting with the second game, but in the first it was indeed juvenile as fuck that nearly every single female character of note was pretty, badly wanted Geralt's dick and left him a nude postcard of themselves.

15+ Year Old Account
    Otherwise what? What will happen if i say nothing? Will the Gerald fan club send an assassin after me? If you like Gerald when why does it matter if i think he sucks? Is it because deep down you don't really like him? So you want to know what i like so you can say Haha that sucks.
    You're awfully defensive about this. O_o

"Otherwise... what's the point of this conversation?"

I mean, it's fine if you dislike Geralt, but unless you can offer some other character you did like (In whatever game) as an example, your posts just come across as antagonistic for no reason and we have nothing to discuss. You can't expect to butt into a conversation, shouting "XYZ sucks" and not expect the people involved to engage in some way. Do you actually have something to offer?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    Do you actually have something to offer?
    Of course i do. You'll never know tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    You could use that same description to describe Aragorn from Lord of the Rings. Except for the sleeping around thing, but he does bang an elf so thats worth about three humans at least. :P

I can see your point though, but let;s not forget he is a 'fantasy' character, emphasis on the fantasy. Fantasy characters are supposed to fill out a 'fantasy'. So of course it's going to come across very fanfic. Not all fantasy roles fill this goal though, but there are quite a few that do. :P

Geralt to me is just a typical fantasy character.
    Last edited by Orby; 2020-07-08 at 12:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    You could use that same description to describe Aragorn from Lord of the Rings. Except for the sleeping around thing, but he does bang an elf so thats worth about three humans at least. :P

I can see your point though, but let;s not forget he is a 'fantasy' character, emphasis on the fantasy. Fantasy characters are supposed to fill out a 'fantasy'. So of course it's going to come across very fanfic. Not all fantasy roles fill this goal though, but there are quite a few that do. :P

He's also supposed to sound monotone which is fine and honestly. Getting off topic
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post

I mean IMO Aragorn is also one of the least interesting characters in LOTR precisely because he's just so cool and good and infallible and liked by everyone and super badass and has healing hands and is king and bangs elves and shit. It's not a great defense, and he's not really the protagonist either. There are ways to have fantasy characters without them coming across as blatant wish fulfillment tropes with the deck stacked in their favor.

Geralt's not a massive case of this, mind, I've seen worse and the typical RPG protagonist is almost always implausibly competent, handsome and well-connected, even (sometimes especially!) player-created ones like in Fallout or Dragon Age. Still, you can tell the writer, the game makers and the TV show all tried very, very hard to make him cool. It mostly succeeded thankfully, otherwise everything about this IP would have been cringe incarnate.

Coming back to Cyberpunk, I'm sure V towards the endgame will be pretty busted themselves, with plenty of cybernetic abilities, the latest and shootiest guns, knowing literally everyone on a first name basis, and who knows what other powers and traits. That's kind of how RPGs work.
    Last edited by Jastall; 2020-07-08 at 01:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Man if you're walking into Cyberpunk expecting Othello you might want to take some time to familiarize yourself with the source material. It's more about world building than narrative.
    I'm not arguing with any of your criticisms btw, just pointing out that you might want to adjust your expectations.

The Va issues I didn't run into, personally, not sure which streamer characters you ran across that did a poor job. Only one I know of is Jessie Cox, and since he's actually a professional level VA I don't see any issues there.
    All the world building in the well, world is useless if your story is garbage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    I mean IMO Aragorn is also one of the least interesting characters in LOTR precisely because he's just so cool and good and infallible and liked by everyone and super badass and has healing hands and is king and bangs elves and shit. It's not a great defense, and he's not really the protagonist either. There are ways to have fantasy characters without them coming across as blatant wish fulfillment tropes with the deck stacked in their favor.

Geralt's not a massive case of this, mind, I've seen worse and the typical RPG protagonist is almost always implausibly competent, handsome and well-connected, even (sometimes especially!) player-created ones like in Fallout or Dragon Age. Still, you can tell the writer, the game makers and the TV show all tried very, very hard to make him cool. It mostly succeeded thankfully, otherwise everything about this IP would have been cringe incarnate.
    Could you describe Geralt as 'cool' though? I mean I guess you could, it depends on what people think cool is. I certainly see that cool factor. Just inn the books at least the most interesting thing about Geralt were the people he met and interacted with, and less Geralt himself. Geralt pretty much even goes against toxic masculinity sterotypes to an extent (at least in the video game and TV show) which is something considered uncool to people who defend that sort of thing. In the TV and the video games he certainly is way more feeling and sympathetic than he is in the books.

Of course i do. You'll never know tho.
    Ah so you actually chickened out. Thank you for showing me that you suck, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by UpsideDownCoffee View Post
    All the world building in the well, world is useless if your story is garbage.
    Again, not arguing that point precisely since I certainly rag on wow with it's z tier writing all the time.
    What I will say in defense of cyberpunk applies to pretty much any licence derived from tabletop - it's about building a world for you to write your story in. We don't know yet how it will translate into this game, since all we've seen is the very beginning.

CDPR, for all the faults in the witcher games, have done a bang up job of writing compelling stories for an otherwise mediocre fantasy world in those books. Hopefully they can do the same here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.