Page 1 of 18
... LastLast

Question Do you still support Donald Trump?

...and if so, why?

I will admit, I'm not a particularly smart or well-informed person. In fact, much of my "news" and knowledge of the world tends to come from browsing around here and elsewhere on the internet, rather than reading actual news articles. With that being said, even with what little I know, have seen, or have heard, I have never, ever understood the appeal of Donald Trump. To the point where I do not get how anyone could watch a live video of the man, and actually believe that he is, in any way, a decent and intelligent man, deserving of any sort of leadership position.

I mean, do all of you just willfully turn a blind eye to the man's faults? Are you so convinced that any form of negative press about the man is ALL, 100% "fake news"?

I do not get that. I voted for Barack Obama, twice. I voted for Hillary Clinton. I plan on voting for Joe Biden. I have not put any of these people on a pedestal. I am well aware they have faults, and there is much I disagree with them about. I feel that Obama's heavy use of drone strike set a potentially disastrous precedent, Hillary is even more right-leaning than Obama is in my eyes, and there's no getting around the fact that Biden's mental state has seen better days, and he can be more than a little creepy around women. And all that's just off the top of my head; the biggest issues I have with them or their political leanings. Hell, I voted for Bernie Sanders in the primaries, as he probably comes the closest to my own personal political leanings among the aforementioned, and even he managed to disappoint me when he didn't immediately suspend his campaign in the face of the growing Covid-19 pandemic.

Maybe it's just because I'm that much of a cynic, but there isn't a single person on this Earth who is in any kind of position of authority that I trust or agree with completely. But you're so certain that Trump, of all people, is somehow the real deal?

And even if you're honest enough to admit that the man has his faults, and you only care about him in so far as he helps enact the policies you actually care about, hasn't he mostly failed in that regard as well? He didn't manage to get the Wall built, and Mexico was never going to pay for it. Instead of "draining the swamp" he just filled it with lobbyists loyal to him. Even when it comes to the dreaded "SJWS" allegedly ruining media, his election only seems to have further emboldened the more progressive folk currently working in Hollywood and elsewhere, so even his mere election triggering us "libtards" doesn't really seem like much of a victory, in hindsight.

One can, of course, make the argument that any of his efforts to fulfill his campaign promises were stifled by the Democrats, but why do you believe a second term would prove to be any more fruitful in that regard? Even if Trump manages a narrow win in November, that narrowness will likely be reflected in Congress as well, so Trump and the Republicans still won't have the mandate they would need to pass some of the more controversial legislation they might desire.

So again, why are you still supporting a man who has failed so much both personally and politically? It feels a lot like clinging to a sinking ship, to me.

I know I'm probably not going to get much of a response to this. There are very few conservative-leaning posters left, as most either left of their own accord or were finally perma-banned. The few that remain very rarely pop up, and mostly just to engage in "whataboutism", which is probably all I can expect here. Otherwise, most are probably just reading my post, shaking their head, smiling smugly, and going "You just don't get it."

You're absolutely right. I do not. So explain it me. As you would to a child, if necessary. And if you can't at least attempt to put an explanation into words, can you even really say you understand your own reasoning yourself?

Since I'm not likely to get a satisfactory answer, and most of the people who will be posting are going to be other members of the choir, I guess I'll ask you then: Have you ever spoken with a Trump supporter? Family members, former friends, or co-workers? If you point out of any this to them, is literally all they do is put their fingers in their ears and chant "Fake news!"? Have any of them ever actually conceded a point, or even changed their mind?

I'm not a particularly social person, so I've never actually had a conversation with one. My mom did vote for him, and my younger brother was briefly a fan, but both very quickly came around as his term went on, and that was before this year rolled around, and his incompetence and cowardice should have become apparent to all.

I feel like this thread has a good chance of getting locked, and a mod popping in to direct people to the main Trump discussion thread, but I was worried all this would get lost the in ever increasing posts detailing Trumps failings, and while it does happen from time to time, the more conservative-leaning posters probably don't pop in there all that often for that exact reason.

More than anything, I'm just trying to understand. Understand how a man who, in my eyes, is so unfit to be in any position of authority, could possibly be elected to one of the highest positions of authority in the land. Understand how people could still support that man after seeing everything he has said or done, particularly this year, with unbiased eyes. And how we could possibly prevent a man like that from ever gaining that kind of power in the future.
    "Go back...I just want to go back...!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Good try... but, two problems...

Trump supporters admitting to supporting Trump, is highly unlikely. So unlikely, that Trump uses said fact, to claim there is a silent majority that is too afraid to admit support. It’s similar to “classic liberals”, where Rubin Report host literally claimed it was harder to come out of the Trump supporting closet, than him coming out as gay.

The other... dude... too much txt... no true Trump supporter will read that.

But, thanks for your contribution and looking forward to future posts!
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

I don't support Trump necessarily but I HATE far-left dogma. And unfortunately right now there is no one else who steps forward to pick up the flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Trump supporters admitting to supporting Trump, is highly unlikely. So unlikely, that Trump uses said fact, to claim there is a silent majority that is too afraid to admit support. It’s similar to “classic liberals”, where Rubin Report host literally claimed it was harder to come out of the Trump supporting closet, than him coming out as gay.
    Like I said, I wasn't sure if anyone more conservative-minded would respond at all. I actually considered putting up a poll as well, but not only have I never made a poll on a MMO-Champion post before, but since you can see who voted on what, I wasn't sure if people would vote honestly, if they voted at all.

The other... dude... too much txt... no true Trump supporter will read that.
    Yeah, sorry for ranting and rambling. Obviously, this was borne mostly out of frustration.

That being said, with the exception of the obvious burner accounts, most of the remaining conservative posters tend to post in complete and grammatically coherent sentences, so I have to assume they are much more literate than your average, MAGA-hat-wearing Republican. Though the fact that they do seem to be more intelligent just makes me more frustrated that they can't seem to see what feels obvious to me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Butt Witch View Post
    I don't support Trump necessarily but I HATE far-left dogma. And unfortunately right now there is no one else who steps forward to pick up the flag.
    But what exactly are you so afraid of when it comes to "far-left" dogma, that you view Trump as a necessary evil?

And what has Trump done to make you think he's picked up that flag, beyond the occasional angry Tweet? Again, from my perspective, the only flag Trump is flying is his own.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah because Trump's stance is pro-capitalism, low taxes, against new environmental regulation, etc. I was worried religious pressure would cause him to push a lot of backwards policy but I think religion is purely symbolic for Trump. I do not live in a swing state though so I understand that I'm irrelevant.

Trump supporters admitting to supporting Trump, is highly unlikely.
    That's smart if you work in a PC environment but I don't see why anyone would care on online forums.

Rubin Report host literally claimed it was harder to come out of the Trump supporting closet, than him coming out as gay.
    It was an evolution for Dave Rubin and he finally decided he should vote for Trump over Biden. I'm very proud of him, he's a badass!

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Yeah because Trump's stance is pro-capitalism, low taxes, against new environmental regulation, etc. I was worried religious pressure would cause him to push a lot of backwards policy but I think religion is purely symbolic for Trump.
    Thank you for your honesty. I strongly disagree with your political stances, but I do understand why those might make you support Trump, since most of those do seem like things he legitimately supports, and has taken political action to support.

Also, hasn't he enacted anti-gay or anti-trans measures, or supported similar legislation? If so, the reason for doing so was likely to appease his uber-religious base.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Yeah because Trump's stance is pro-capitalism, low taxes, against new environmental regulation, etc. I was worried religious pressure would cause him to push a lot of backwards policy but I think religion is purely symbolic for Trump. I do not live in a swing state though so I understand that I'm irrelevant.
    Both of these would also apply to Biden, but I suppose if you have to choose between 2 conservatives you for the one that is the most authortian.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RadasNoir View Post
    Also, hasn't he enacted anti-gay or anti-trans measures, or supported similar legislation? If so, the reason for doing so was likely to appease his uber-religious base.

He has one of the most anti-LGBT politicions as his VP and literal fascists(Miller) in his cabinet.

That's smart if you work in a PC environment but I don't see why anyone would care on online forums.

It was an evolution for Dave Rubin and he finally decided he should vote for Trump over Biden. I'm very proud of him, he's a badass!
    You’re against environmental protection?

what exactly is "far-left dogma" to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    Anything that criticizes his rampant bigotry. Sigmar is on his second account and regularly gets hit with the banhammer because he can't control himself.

He probably doesn't like Trump because Trump is an incompetent bigot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anything left of trump and pence.

Quote Originally Posted by CommunismWillWin View Post
    He has one of the most anti-LGBT politicions as his VP and literal fascists(Miller) in his cabinet.
    I don't think Miller is a fascist. He's a racist troll but he doesn't appear to have the competency to make the trains run on time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    I don't think Miller is a fascist. He's a racist troll but he doesn't appear to have the competency to make the trains run on time.
    He is responsible for the most right-wing policies of trump.

Quote Originally Posted by CommunismWillWin View Post
    Yes, and that pick was definitely an effort to garner further favor with the religious right. That said, I was trying to think of stuff Trump has specifically pushed for or signed that was explicitly anti-gay or anti-trans. Didn't he push for anti-trans measures within the military?

10+ Year Old Account
    Still? Lol, that implies I ever did in the first place.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    You’re against environmental protection?
    Yeah at the government level, I think we should convince people and businesses to voluntarily recycle and eliminate unnecessary pollution. I support rapid development and i'm against that which inhibits growth. I view sustainability as not only impossible but not even desirable compared to constant evolution and change and solving problems through technological advancement. Also i'm a pure humanist and not an environmentalist so let's say we turned Earth into a Coruscant-like planet in the future with trillions of people that have displaced the environment I would view that as progress and not as a "dystopia".

Just a few snippets:
    - large scale censorship of free speech because "freespeech is hatespeech".
    - unofficial social credit score, as companies refuse to serve certain individuals on account of opinions voiced by those individuals in public. Banks, credit card companies, social media platforms, and certain companies, have already started using such a system of social credit score.
    - severe gun control and gun confiscations.
    - affirmative action hirings based not only on race but also on sexual preferences in order to have "diversity and inclusion" at all costs.
    - rewriting of history in order to make it PC, and destroying symbols of civilization in the process, basically blaming white people for everything that happened since 300000 B.C.
    - changing culture and entertainment in order to pander to certain puritans. Ex: no depictions of slavery in any medium of entertainment, no depictions of nudity in video games because "male gaze", no depictions of male heroic themes because "male toxicity", replacing well established characters and changing stories in order to introduce LGBT themes and female characters.
    - worshiping corporations and main stream media.
    - allowing for unchecked migration even if the people who come have values and cultures that are incompatible with the locals'.
    - destruction of national identity in order to make room for globalism, because national identities are "white supremacy".

10+ Year Old Account
    Just a few snippets:
    - large scale censorship of free speech because "freespeech is hatespeech".
    - unofficial social credit score, as companies refuse to serve certain individuals on account of opinions voiced by those individuals in public. Banks, credit card companies, social media platforms, and certain companies, have already started using such a system of social credit score.
    - severe gun control and gun confiscations.
    - affirmative action hirings based not only on race but also on sexual preferences in order to have "diversity and inclusion" at all costs.
    - rewriting of history in order to make it PC, and destroying symbols of civilization in the process, basically blaming white people for everything that happened since 300000 B.C.
    - changing culture and entertainment in order to pander to certain puritans. Ex: no depictions of slavery in any medium of entertainment, no depictions of nudity in video games because "male gaze", no depictions of male heroic themes because "male toxicity", replacing well established characters and changing stories in order to introduce LGBT themes and female characters.
    - worshiping corporations and main stream media.
    - allowing for unchecked migration even if the people who come have values and cultures that are incompatible with the locals'.
    - destruction of national identity in order to make room for globalism, because national identities are "white supremacy".
    Stop listening to Ben Shapiro.

Also, most the things you cite have little to no relevance to the Democratic party or their politics and have more to do with the behavior of companies who are acting on their own. And none of that will be stopped by Donald Trump.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Umm one does not need to listen to Shapiro to form those options, one only need read these forums and the views the left wing posters here.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    I'm SEEING all this. I don't listen to him at all.