Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Tauren Rogues would be the best race/class combo in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    I agree, no one outside Italy should be allowed to eat pizza.

That includes NYC.

And Greek food should only be in Greece.

Same for Chinese food. Only in China.

Want Mexican? Fly to Mexico.
    specific to an area or places, does not mean the originating place. Most cuisines came to their distinctive characteristics not in a vacuum.

Though I would be pretty okay with less terrible Greek and Chinese cuisine peddled on street corners, food trucks and cheap restaurants outside of Greece and China.

In many cases and in my experience, the transplantation of locality alone dramatically worsens the cuisine.

The finest Indian food I had outside of India was not as good as that I enjoyed in India, for example. In fact, I sorta hate Indian food outside the country now.

There are dishes I had in Mexico of such phenomenal quality, I have never had those dishes elsewhere again. I consider them a disgraceful by contrast.

Tomatoes don't taste the same around the world. Fish tastes differently. Spices, beef, pork, etc.

This is important to me. I would rather have nothing than the lesser of a thing in many cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    specific to an area or places, does not mean the originating place. Most cuisines came to their distinctive characteristics not in a vacuum.

Though I would be pretty okay with less terrible Greek and Chinese cuisine peddled on street corners, food trucks and cheap restaurants outside of Greece and China.

In many cases and in my experience, the transplantation of locality alone dramatically worsens the cuisine.

The finest Indian food I had outside of India was not as good as that I enjoyed in India, for example. In fact, I sorta hate Indian food outside the country now.

There are dishes I had in Mexico of such phenomenal quality, I have never had those dishes elsewhere again. I consider them a disgraceful by contrast.

Tomatoes don't taste the same around the world. Fish tastes differently. Spices, beef, pork, etc.

This is important to me. I would rather have nothing than the lesser of a thing in many cases.
    So what should countries like Canada or the US eat then? Just default to English food? Hope you like bland cabbage and boiled meat.

10+ Year Old Account
    In many cases and my personal view, yes.

I take food pretty seriously.
    Food should be enjoyed by everyone, can't be that serious if you think it can only be enjoyed in certain places.

- - - Updated - - -

So what should countries like Canada or the US eat then? Just default to English food? Hope you like bland cabbage and boiled meat.
    US has fantastic culinary culture you get out with your boiled cabbage.
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

Abraham Lincoln was the greatest President.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    FUS has fantastic culinary culture you get out with your boiled cabbage.
    I was being rhetorical in response, if you get rid of all ethnic food in the US you're left with Native American cuisine (which has some great dishes), and since it was originally a British colony, maybe English cuisine, which is a depressing proposition.

I was being rhetorical in response, if you get rid of all ethnic food in the US you're left with Native American cuisine (which has some great dishes), and since it was originally a British colony, maybe English cuisine, which is a depressing proposition.
    Nation-bashing. Leave our cuisine alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except not. Huge culinary history here. Thinking that only native American cusine would be life is vastly ignorant.
    Driving on Sunshine.

Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    Nation-bashing. Leave our cuisine alone.
    Hey, watercress sandwiches have their place, I'm just saying, without Asia, the Mediterranean, Africa, and elsewhere Anglo food would be bland.

Cook something else!

Except not. Huge culinary history here. Thinking that only native American cusine would be life is vastly ignorant.
    *sigh* But if we did what fencers said, and allowed cuisine only in their point of origin, then all the French, German, Greek, Irish, Chinese, Indian, and Mexican dishes that are eaten in the US wouldn't be available. What would an American menu look like with no foreign foods whatsoever? Spam? Can't deep-fry, that's from foreign cuisines as well. Peanut butter and jelly? Barbecue I could see.

Food should be enjoyed by everyone
    Absolutely. But not every dish anywhere willy nilly.

- - - Updated - - -

*sigh* But if we did what fencers said, and allowed cuisine only in their point of origin..
    Hey now, I didn't say this. I said some dishes ought to only be enjoyed in certain places. I specifically said where a dish originates is not the same as where it is best practiced.

Dubs are better than subs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Dubs are better than subs.
    Now you done it, sure Fencers wants to slap the food out of people's mouths, but you're gonna be the one that burns.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Gladly. Why would anyone touch it
    lol, very good

OK - no jellied eels, pie & mash for you then...

10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely. But not every dish anywhere willy nilly.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey now, I didn't say this. I said some dishes ought to only be enjoyed in certain places. I specifically said where a dish originates is not the same as where it is best practiced.
    Then you'd realize the best pizza is in Japan.
    Driving on Sunshine.

Then you'd realize the best pizza is in Japan.
    I do not think I have had pizza in Japan. It's been some years since I was there. I'm pretty skeptical of the claim, however.

The most consistently well-made food I ever had was in Hong Kong and Southern Mexico, fwiw. South Eastern United States and Spain were pretty high up there too.

But no one is cooking on Hong Kong's level in my experience.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2020-07-08 at 03:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do not think I have had pizza in Japan. It's been some years since I was there. I'm pretty skeptical of the claim, however.

The most consistently well-made food I ever had was in Hong Kong and Southern Mexico, fwiw. South Eastern United States and Spain were pretty high up there too.

But no one is cooking on Hong Kong's level in my experience.
    IDK I saw it on TV.

But I do really think that food bring made in different ways by different people turn into incredibly amazing things. Even new foods created by modern movements of people result in deliciousness.

Take viet-cajun cuisine for example. Movement of Vietnamese people to the gulf coast of the US from the Vietnam war resulted in a unique blend in flavors that are uniquely American.
    Driving on Sunshine.

If you think this president is bad...

...wait till you see the next one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve View Post
    If you think this president is bad...

...wait till you see the next one.
    I didn't know you were running.
    /s