Knowingly exposing others to HIV is no longer a felony in California

So this is interesting. This seems like a really bad idea.

California lawmakers have passed legislation to reduce the penalty for those who knowingly or intentionally expose others to HIV without their knowledge, rolling back a law that mostly affected sex workers.

The bill, SB 239, which was approved by the Democrat-controlled state legislature in September and signed into law by Gov. Jerry Brown (D) on Friday, will lower the charges for these acts from a felony to a misdemeanor when the law goes into effect in 2018. The act of knowingly donating HIV-infected blood, also a felony now, will be decriminalized.

The statutes that the new laws revise date back to the late 1980s, when AIDS had emerged as a public health crisis in cities such as San Francisco, Los Angeles and New York. Fear and misinformation about the disease’s potential to spread ran high as the authorities struggled to get a handle on the new epidemic and a spate of legislation about HIV exposure cropped up across the country.

Supporters of the reform push in California, which included a broad coalition of public health, LGBT, civil liberties and HIV groups in the state, described the laws as outdated and ineffective, pointing to statistics that showed that the vast majority of convictions were related to sex workers, who are required to undergo testing for HIV after being convicted of crimes such as solicitation.

In the case of the laws around blood donation, research has shown that the law was probably never enforced and probably did little to enhance the screening measures that already exist to identify sources of infected blood.

“If you are a sex worker and you solicit someone and you’re HIV positive, you’re guilty of a felony before any contact occurs,” said California state Sen. Scott Wiener (D), a co-sponsor of the bill. “These laws are so draconian that you can be convicted of a felony and sent to state prison even if you engage in behavior that creates zero risk of HIV infection.”

How the HIV/AIDS crisis redefined the concept of family

Many Republican lawmakers in the state disagreed.

“I’m of the mind that if you purposefully inflict another with a disease that alters their lifestyle the rest of their life, puts them on a regimen of medications to maintain any kind of normalcy, it should be a felony,” said Sen. Joel Anderson (R-Calif.) during debate over the bill, according to the Los Angeles Times. “It’s absolutely crazy to me that we should go light on this.”

The bill has since drawn wide media attention, including particularly critical coverage from conservative media sites.

“Good grief,” wrote the National Review’s Wesley J. Smith. “Leave it to California to make a declining and decadent culture even more declining and decadent.”

Breitbart’s story about the bill, which drew more than 4,500 comments, focused on three cases, in Michigan, California and Scotland, where in each case a man had allegedly attempted to intentionally infect others.

But these types of cases are rare.

Of the 379 HIV-related convictions in California between 1988 and 2014, only seven — less than 2 percent — included the intent to transmit HIV, according to a recent series of studies from the UCLA School of Law’s Williams Institute.

Instead, the law mostly affected sex workers or those suspected of sex work. The vast majority of the convictions — 90 percent — were for solicitation cases where it was unknown whether any physical contact had occurred. When expanded to include the 800 or so people arrested or charged for the laws through 2014, more than 95 percent were related to sex work, the researchers found.

CDC reports more progress against HIV, but gay Latinos contracted more infections

Statistics showed that the charge was disproportionately levied against women and minorities: 67 percent of the people who came into contact with law enforcement because of HIV-related laws were black or Latino, the Williams Institute studies showed. Women made up 43 percent, though they represent only 13 percent of the HIV-positive population in the state.

That requirement that sex workers get HIV tested after convictions will be abolished when the provisions in the bill take effect.

“At the very beginning, people expected to see most of the weight playing out in those intentional exposure laws,” said Amira Hasenbush, a fellow at the Williams Institute and the co-author of the reports. “I think everyone was surprised to see that wasn’t where the law was being enforced. It was in this felony solicitation.”

The bill was also prompted, its sponsors say, by a 2015 report on combating HIV from the Obama White House, which cited studies showing that HIV exposure laws do little to influence behavior, and said that many “run counter to scientific evidence about routes of HIV transmission and effective measures of HIV prevention.”

Telling JJ: She’s 10. She has HIV. And she’s about to learn the truth.

Wiener said he believed that California’s felony HIV laws created a disincentive for some people to get tested, potentially doing more to increase rather than mitigate the public health risk of HIV.

Others in the group of more than 150 to support the bill included the California Medical Association, the district attorneys of San Francisco and Los Angeles, the California Women’s Law Center and the American Civil Liberties Union of California.

Supporters pointed out that the knowing or intentional transmission of any other communicable disease in California, including some potentially deadly ones like SARS, Ebola and tuberculosis, is a misdemeanor crime.

“There’s no reason that HIV should be treated differently,” said Rick Zbur, executive director of Equality California, a LGBT civil rights nonprofit which was a co-sponsor of the bill. “A lot of what was behind this was basically looking at the laws to see how we could improve public health and modernizing these laws, so HIV is treated the same.”
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...d-sex-workers/
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    See my replies to this thread from 3 years ago:

Knowingly exposing others to HIV will no longer be a felony in California
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...-in-California

Edit: I know how to make it current and on topic... Should going out without a mask, while knowing you have Covid, be a felony?
    Last edited by Felya; 2020-07-08 at 01:58 PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post

Edit: I know how to make it current and on topic... Should going out without a mask, while knowing you have Covid, be a felony?

Looks like there is a direct line from:
    Hating liberal arts education.
    To:
    Not reading the published date of a document.

This must make for some crazy hijinx in the office!
    Government Affiliated Snark

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Looks like there is a direct line from:
    Hating liberal arts education.
    To:
    Not reading the published date of a document.

This must make for some crazy hijinx in the office!
    I’m interested in how two different sources, had identical titles. It’s like there is a script or something...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Why would someone conjure up a 3-year-old article?

At some point, they have to be looking for this shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post

Where were you digging, that you came across a 3-year-old article, and decided to post it?

i mean the Uk counts it like that, certain diseases are know as "notifiable" as in you are legally required to be responsible for limiting there transition if you have them, HIV is on that list.

Three-year-old content: Check
    Literally explained in the 4th paragraph is was just rolling back a massive overreaction from the AIDs crisis that wasn't even acheiving its stated goal: Check

IT'S PC CULTURE GONE MAD

In Australia, it is generally an offence to maliciously or recklessly infect someone with a 'very serious disease'. I would say for an airborne disease like Covid the Crown would have to show the accused had both foreknowledge of being infected and that they took some active step towards infecting another person in particular as opposed to just generally existing in public.

That said Covid's semi-unique position and public/media attention might lead to reform of how diseases are dealt with on a criminal level (not unlike the AIDs crisis laws).

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Pocket gives me "interesting" things to read. Some of which are 2-3 years old. I have no idea why it does this. I'm sure there's something on Parler or whatever the fuck Neo-nazis use these day doing something similar.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post

except this isn't the height of the AIDS pandemic, and the whole point isn't to make it legal to infect people but make it so people with HIV/AIDS can get treatment more easily.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Its not the first time he's dug up old content
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...e-speech-event
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Its not the first time he's dug up old content
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...e-speech-event
    You'll notice he ducked and ran, like he always does when the narrative is called into question. It's a shame people insist on being disingenuous.

5+ Year Old Account
    Please check the dates of news you want to share and your phrasing.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."