Poll: Horde or Alliance based on the name alone

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Horde or Alliance, but wait there is something to consider!

For a moment imagine you never played World of Warcraft ever, that you knew nothing else about it besides you wanted to play the game, now imagine your only choices are Horde and Alliance obviously.

BUT here is the chaser, based on the NAMES alone which would you pick?

Alliance

Part of the reason I ask is because obviously there is a debate based on who is evil who is not and how Blizzard entertains that. However this isn't really about that per say. This is about the names of the factions in general.

Because right off the bat the Humans get the name of their faction as Alliancewhich based on your first impression makes you think kind, good, faithful, etc.

But when you hear the word Hordewhat comes to mind.

In my opinion the entire debate I think can be down to it's very core. Horde to me sounds like a menace, like a savage group of evil and likely bad guys. IF that isn't the case why the name The Horde.

Follow up question:

If you could give the Horde a New name for it's faction what would it be?

The Draenor ?

Lastly if you could change the faction allies or even of course a third faction what would it be?

I would make the allied races different for example Dark Iron Dwarves would go to Horde, Zandalari go to the Alliance, Kul Tirans maybe the Horde Also.

OH and I have some Homework for you to do

Here are the rules. ASK ANYBODY AND EVERYBODY YOU KNOW that knows nothing about World of Warcraft., what they will pick ALLIANCE OR HORDE, However DON'T GIVE THEM ANY DETAILS about the difference between.

It can be ANYBODY, but the main objective here is they know nothing about World of Warcraft. My bet is they almost all pick Alliance.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2020-07-07 at 05:52 PM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

There are plenty of great names:
    Mud Club
    Genocide Squad
    Pride Pack

The funniest thing is that since the Horde includes "Allied Races" now it is undoubtedly "an alliance". You cannot have allies without being an alliance. Talanji even uses the word multiple times. Outrageous!!!
    Last edited by Nathasil; 2020-07-07 at 06:01 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    The new name should be Zuggedy Zugs

Alliance because it makes me think of Triple Alliance.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

The Horde IS savage and evil. The rampaging, invading Orcish Horde from beyond the Dark Portal. Are you brand new to Warcraft, or something?

I mean the vast majority of people in the anglosphere are going to pick the Alliance. It conjures up the Allies in WWI and WWII which are historically lionised and symbolise the unconditional 'just' in a faction (with the further implication that they are somehow more egalitarian because they're an alliance of 'equals').

As for new optics for the horde.

Sadfang and the Zugclub?

Noblesavage (but written in a metal cover font)

If I had to give a new name to the Horde, it might be something along the lines of "The Unbound".

It reflects upon a theme shared by the orcs with many other races of the Horde: freedom from some force holding them down, stealing their will, or threatening them with destruction, and it's a name that points a bit to the more wild and savage nature of the orcs and some of their allies without really ostracizing their less-savage allies like the blood elves and Nightborne.

It stands opposed to the Alliance, which connotates a coming together, with a name that connotates sort of the opposite, a breaking loose.

Even as it stands, I would still probably choose the Horde first, if just because I'd probably be less sure of the type of story I'd get compared to something more obviously knightly and human-centric like a faction called the Alliance.

Horde from vanilla to wotlk (including): The Exiled
    Horde from cata to bfa (including): The Bad Guys

I picked Alliance the first time because I thought a night elf would make a cool rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    the Zugclub?
    But I would join this faction immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post

If you could give the Horde a New name for it's faction what would it be?
    I can think of several, depending on what aspect you want to invoke:
    The Forsworn
    The Forsaken
    The Outsiders
    The Abandoned
    The Pack (if you wanted to invoke a more bestial feeling)
    The Ignored
    The Desolate
    The Abjured
    The Renegades
    The Untamed
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Rayne View Post
    The Abjured
    Can you imagine calling yourselves The Abjured and expecting to be taken seriously?

3+ Year Old Account
    the Alliance isn't evil? they literally did the Tiannanmen in the Second War
    Last edited by Ardenaso; 2020-07-09 at 12:53 AM.
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.

Quote Originally Posted by Henako View Post
    Can you imagine calling yourselves The Abjured and expecting to be taken seriously?
    I don't take "The Horde" seriously to begin with.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

At first glance, I'd go with Alliance because it reminds me of the good guys from Lord of the Rings, which is what got me into WoW to begin with, and plus my favorite color is blue, but Horde isn't a bad name and it conveys savagery with the word alone.

What would I come up with some alternate names for The Horde?
    The Scrum
    The Swarm
    The Axis

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    The Axis
    Uh, might have a hard time getting that one to fly in 2020.

Alliance because alliances are a lot more interesting than hordes since there's a lot more political infighting between different nations and their different goals and priorities.

Sadly the Alliance in WoW is an alliance in name only and acts much more like a single unified nation under a single king.

That's what you get for playing Pandaren.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Uh, might have a hard time getting that one to fly in 2020.
    Yeah... but I love my history and in fiction it can be spun as an easily identifiable power faction to be reckoned with. Maybe add something to it like Blood Axis.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathasil View Post
    There are plenty of great names:
    Mud Club
    Genocide Squad
    Pride Pack

The funniest thing is that since the Horde includes "Allied Races" now it is undoubtedly "an alliance". You cannot have allies without being an alliance. Talanji even uses the word multiple times. Outrageous!!!
    Horde was always an alliance. In that very screenshot it called them an "alliance of convenience" and those very words are used in the original through Wrath forsaken intro cinematic.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Well... the horde was designed as the bad guys.
    It was with later games that they tried to portray them as maybe not all bad.