The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I guess the issue will just have to be thrown in his face over and over during the election. Like, the answer to every other question is "show me your taxes".

Transparency? Show me your taxes.
    Successful businessman? Show me your taxes.
    Honesty? Show me your taxes.
    Not beholden to foreign agents? Show me your taxes.
    That will have to be the tact taken during this election. And while objectively if they had been released, we the public would more than likely not have seen them anyway, as it was a Grand Jury subpoena, and those are usually kept highly confidential.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Probably the best summary so far:

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/09/88444...ck-on-congress

Nina Totenberg is a phenomenal legal scholar, reporting for NPR for years. Her verbal summaries are terrific, and the write ups even better (if you're into that sort of thing, of course ).

Well fuck:

So he won.
    Sort of. The banks in question were not actually refusing the supeonas, Trump blocked them. I am not sure how fast New York can resolve the case. Of course, Nina Totenberg knows better than me how long this proceeding takes, but it seems at least possible that SDNY is motivated enough to make this happen before November, because there doesn't seem to be any solid barriers left.

At any rate, it seems inevitable that SDNY will get them at some point, and purely based on how much Trump does not want them to be seen, I am guessing this is not exactly a win for Trump.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Sort of. The banks in question were not actually refusing the supeonas, Trump blocked them. I am not sure how fast New York can resolve the case. Of course, Nina Totenberg knows better than me how long this proceeding takes, but it seems at least possible that SDNY is motivated enough to make this happen before November, because there doesn't seem to be any solid barriers left.

At any rate, it seems inevitable that SDNY will get them at some point, and purely based on how much Trump does not want them to be seen, I am guessing this is not exactly a win for Trump.
    Good point, NYST prosecutors could try and expedite to get them pre-election. I do trust Totenberg's take, however, so we'll see. Interestingly, Totenberg mentions a book that goes into detail about the relationship between Trump and Deutsche Bank, Dark Towers. Might have to check that out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good point, NYST prosecutors could try and expedite to get them pre-election
    I wouldn't rule out them accidentally falling into a mailbox.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see it as queuing up a glorious late October surprise. SDNY might not have everything they want by then, but they very well could have enough to drop a serious of charges against the Trump Organization, Trump's children, and a bunch of other people, and tell the story through indictments.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I really hope they show up somewhere. There are some seriously draconian laws that severely punish illegal obtainment, release, and publishing of tax documents. But it would be pretty easy to set up a website domiciled outside the United States, and post them there. That's how I would do it.

Mary Trump might have some of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    I see it as queuing up a glorious late October surprise. SDNY might not have everything they want by then, but they very well could have enough to drop a serious of charges against the Trump Organization, Trump's children, and a bunch of other people, and tell the story through indictments.
    That would be a very nice October surprise. Especially all the financials relating to Trump and Deutsche Bank.

I really hope they show up somewhere. There are some seriously draconian laws that severely punish illegal obtainment, release, and publishing of tax documents. But it would be pretty easy to set up a website domiciled outside the United States, and post them there. That's how I would do it.

She did have some of them. IIRC she gave them to the New York Times long ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, in other news, Fauci says stats should pause re-opening, if they're not just spiking but setting records like we're seeing:

I would think we need to get the states pausing in their opening process, looking at what did not work well and try to mitigate that. I don't think we need to go back to an extreme of shutting down.

I think any state that is having a serious problem, that state should seriously look at shutting down. It's not for me to say because each state is different.
    Related: Sen. Pat Roberts is now the sixth GOP Senator who won't be going to the RNC in Jacksonville, Fuck Florida. Claims he has other things to do and isn't even sure if the whole thing will be canceled or not.

Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) became the first senator to say they would not attend, citing concerns about the coronavirus. He was quickly followed by Sens. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.), Susan Collins (R-Maine), Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) and Mitt Romney (R-Utah).
    Unrelated: guess where this picture was taken today?

Here’s what you don’t understand: Black people BUILT 5th Ave and so much of this nation. Your 'luxury' came from THEIR labor, for which they have never been justly compensated. We are honoring them. The fact that you see it as denigrating your street is the definition of racism.
    -- mayor of NYC

- - - Updated - - -

That would be a very nice October surprise. Especially all the financials relating to Trump and Deutsche Bank.
    I mean, at the end of the day, nothing is going to sway the minds of many voters. We already know that his supporters don't give a shit what's on them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I see why #TrumpMeltdown is trending right now lol Man is going out in a blaze of.... whining.

The President of the United States of America is the world's largest victim.
    Holy crap is he coming unhinged!

I hope it lasts.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    She did have some of them. IIRC she gave them to the New York Times long ago.
    She is claiming to be the anonymous source for those that the NYTimes published. And I'm not sure how involved she is with the Trump Organization - I'm guessing very little.

Someone, somewhere, has them - I have no doubt. The issue is whether they will want to illegally release them, and then if they will do it, then if they can do it. Trump has gone after anyone and everyone who has spoken against him, and this kind of action would be a doozy - and considering that it would be a direct federal felony to release them, the DoJ could legitimately go after that person.

So anonymity would be key to this entire, and so far largely intellectual, exercise in justice.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I mean, at the end of the day, nothing is going to sway the minds of many voters. We already know that his supporters don't give a shit what's on them.
    And really that is the over arching point. My wife and were just talking about this (we're WAY west, so we're just starting our morning). No matter what those documents reveal, Trump will tell his rabid and idiotic fan base what to think, and they will hand wave it away.

So yeah, good point.

But still, I just want to KNOW.

If Biden wins, Warren needs to keep her Senate seat (MA Gov is GOP, so if she leaves, Senate in jeopardy). But she would be a phenomenal candidate to head up the Truth and Reconciliation Committee.

The decision is odd . I'm just seeing it now, and news agencies are confused. CNN was initially repeating that Trump won, and no one will see his taxes.

And yeah, the split is very weird.

I'm going to see about reading the full opinion, if I have time today with work.
    To be precise, the public will not see Trump's returns till after the election. The Supreme Court delicately punted the case to the lower court by asking Congress to provide better justifications for requesting those files. Almost the same justification that the court use to rule for DACA.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Poor Trump, if true.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha
    It is true. None of the financial institutions objected to the NY court's subpoena. The package of subpoenaed documents were ready to be delivered to the DA office. Then the Trump's administration objected. From what I understand, the DA office will be getting the documents today.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    To be precise, the public will not see Trump's returns till after the election. The Supreme Court delicately punted the case to the lower court by asking Congress to provide better justifications for requesting those files. Almost the same justification that the court use to rule for DACA.
    Agreed. And to be even more precise, the public may never see those documents. They would be sealed in the Grand Jury testimony. And tax records are private, so even if the House got them, they couldn't release them to the general public.

What we really need a good old fashioned disgruntled employee at Deutsche Bank.

It is true. None of the financial institutions objected to the NY court's subpoena. The package of subpoenaed documents were ready to be delivered to the DA office. Then the Trump's administration objected. From what I understand, the DA office will be getting the documents today.
    It was my understanding that it was going back to a lower court.

Agreed. And to be even more precise, the public may never see those documents. They would be sealed in the Grand Jury testimony. And tax records are private, so even if the House got them, they couldn't release them to the general public.

What we really need a good old fashioned disgruntled employee at Deutsche Bank.

It was my understanding that it was going back to a lower court.
    No. The DA office will be getting the files. The public will not see it because of the Grand Jury secrecy rule. If the case does go to court in an open trial, then the public will probably see part of it. However, that's not likely to happen till after the election.

10+ Year Old Account
    For the 1/100th time, the reason we show so many Cases, compared to other countries that haven’t done nearly as well as we have, is that our TESTING is much bigger and better. We have tested 40,000,000 people. If we did 20,000,000 instead, Cases would be half, etc. NOT REPORTED!

For the 1/100th time, the reason we show so many Cases

For the 1/100th time

1/100th time
    This moron thinks "One hundredth time" is a goddamn fraction lol. "One over 100th time"

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...06354334625793
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    No. The DA office will be getting the files. The public will not see it because of the Grand Jury secrecy rule. If the case does go to court in an open trial, then the public will probably see part of it. However, that's not likely to happen till after the election.
    That would be nice, but it isn't my understanding of the ruling. The Supreme Court through out the "Absolute Immunity" claim, on the grounds that we aren't a fucking monarchy, but made no other ruling on the availability of the documents. They referred the substance of the case back to the lower courts in both cases.

The good news is that they ruled the lower courts could release the documents in both cases, but neither are required too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    actually big investors and funds have record amount of cash and non stock investments right now.

its the retail investors that are driving markets to new highs.

That and the insane pivot to just a few high tech companies that are making up a huge % of the market gains. Take them out of the mix and the market looks anemic.
    Their Weight is even higher than those few during the tech boom-bust of 2000
    Its all about the mega cap companies.

Apple shares now comprise 43% of Warren Buffett's portfolio with Berkshire Hathaway owning $91.3 billion worth of AAPL, according to the holding company's latest shareholder letter.

That's a sharp rise since November 2018, when Apple made up about a quarter of Berkshire Hathaway's portfolio. The more than doubling of Apple's percentage of Buffett's holding has taken place in the past two years, with the coronavirus pandemic accelerating the process.

Its not because BH has been on Apple stock buying spree. The stock just been going up like crazy. Defying BH best effort to diversify.

BH actually sold almost a billion dollar of it's Apple holdings in early 2020. I bet they regret that now.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2020-07-09 at 05:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    This moron thinks "One hundredth time" is a goddamn fraction lol. "One over 100th time"

My favorite part of Trump lies is adding them together. For Instance, the GOP refrain in march was that Covid was "Less dangerous than the flu", which has a fatality rate of about 0.1%. Since then, Trump claims the virus has "Decreased tenfold" in lethality, which means it is now <0.01% fatality rate. So far, 135,242 people have died from it, which means total US Coronavirus cases must be at least 1.352 Billion. So everyone has had it between 3-4 times already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post

Was just doing a drive by to post this.....hilarious.

For the 1/100th time we I wouldn't be hot mowing the lawn in this heat wave if we just threw away the thermometers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    Was just doing a drive by to post this.....hilarious.

For the 1/100th time we I wouldn't be hot mowing the lawn in this heat wave if we just threw away the thermometers.
    This is true. I will see if I can talk my company into taking all the temperature measurement devices out of all the jet engines we have. Because they can't overheat if they don't have thermometers!

I also saved tons of money by the simple operation of destroying the fuel gage on my car, now I can never run out of gas!