The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    No. The DA office will be getting the files. The public will not see it because of the Grand Jury secrecy rule. If the case does go to court in an open trial, then the public will probably see part of it. However, that's not likely to happen till after the election.
    Can you link something that's saying that's confirming that. Don't get me wrong, I REALLY want you to be right. But Trump's lawyer is quoted as saying that there are now new issues to resolve in the lower courts - that's from the NPR summary.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I hope you don’t mind, but as per your source...
    That, and also both the New York district court and the Washington D.C. appeal court both decided for the NY DA subpoena. So the Supreme Court by sending the case back to the lower court was saying that they agree with the lower court decision. It does not mean that the case has to be retried.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I hope you don’t mind, but as per your source...

Though the subpoenas in both cases were for similar information, the victory in the grand jury case was a clean kill for the New York District Attorney, giving his investigators and the grand jury immediate access to a broad range of documents that had been subpoenaed from Trump's accountants and banks that have loaned his businesses billions of dollars.
    Not at all - thank you. I just haven't had time to read it all and digest it, even if I'm apparently linking it, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

That, and also both the New York district court and the Washington D.C. appeal court both decided for the NY DA subpoena. So the Supreme Court by sending the case back to the lower court was saying that they agree with the lower court decision. It does not mean that the case has to be retried.
    Brilliant - thank you. I'm just off today - too much at work.

VERY good news then. Also, hate to say it, but much larger chance they get "leaked" to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Not at all - thank you. I just haven't had time to read it all and digest it, even if I'm apparently linking it, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Brilliant - thank you. I'm just off today - too much at work.

VERY good news then. Also, hate to say it, but much larger chance they get "leaked" to the public.
    It is pretty confusing. Not to mention Jay Sekulow, Trump's attorney, is trying to muddy the water by acting as if the Supreme Court decision meant that the case need to be retried.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    It is pretty confusing. Not to mention Jay Sekulow, Trump's attorney, is trying to muddy the water by acting as if the Supreme Court decision meant that the case need to be retried.
    That was what threw me - should have known better. And I'm just able to read snippets right now, rather than take in the full ruling and affects. The irony is that this is the case I was waiting for from SCOTUS this entire year - and of course the day it comes out I'm slammed with "fires" to put out.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    This moron thinks "One hundredth time" is a goddamn fraction lol. "One over 100th time"

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...06354334625793
    This actually makes sense.

1/100 = 1%
    Donald Trump is the 1%
    Therefore, "for the 1% time", i.e. he wants to focus on increasing the enjoyment of the 1%'s time on earth rather than cater to everyone else.

It's clear as day!

10+ Year Old Account
    Texas Republicans sue Houston over cancelled convention.

Just a reminder, it's due to start July 16. You've got a week to get a successful ruling. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Texas Republicans sue Houston over cancelled convention.

Just a reminder, it's due to start July 16. You've got a week to get a successful ruling. Good luck.
    If Mayor Turner’s motivations were pure, he could have cancelled the lease weeks ago.
    "pure" lol

Also, man, it's almost like something changed in the last few weeks. Like...a lot more people getting infected with the virus or something. Could be wrong though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    "pure" lol
    Hmm, why didn't Texas do something weeks ago? Let's see...

Oh, right. 2-3 weeks ago cases were half to quarter what we're seeing now. The governor hadn't reversed re-opening yet.

That moment when Democrats, for months, have been trying to keep Republicans alive while the Republican party does their best to get everyone fucking killed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once again, it's time for Guess the Speaker!

We don't believe it's about the fact of reopening in terms of a legal or regulatory structure. It's rather how are we behaving within that context? Are we practicing appropriate social distancing, are we wearing facial coverings, especially in circumstances where we can't social distance?
    That's HHS's Azar, stressing how important personal responsibility. Which is what I would say, if I was in charge of a lethal outbreak, did nothing until it was too late, saw the country being blockaded with rising cases and deaths because of this inaction, and didn't want to take blame for it. As shown on this whitehouse.gov site, "15 Days To Slow The Spread" started March 15. It was extended to 45, see avatar, which meant it was gone by May. Since then, there's been minimal federal regulation or action taken, and we're seeing the results of lack of leadership in record-breaking numbers by the day.

- - - Updated - - -

Related: Sen. Pat Roberts is now the sixth GOP Senator who won't be going to the RNC in Jacksonville, Fuck Florida. Claims he has other things to do and isn't even sure if the whole thing will be canceled or not.
    UPDATE: McConnell applies the brakes.

Well, I think the convention is a challenging situation and a number of my colleagues have announced that they’re not going to attend. And we’ll have to wait and see how things look in late August to determine whether or not you can safely convene that many people
    I'm starting to suspect the Jacksonville RNC thing will turn out like the Tulsa rally. GOP Senators, such as McConnell at 78, aren't exactly a group packed with spring chickens.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

That's HHS's Azar, stressing how important personal responsibility. Which is what I would say, if I was in charge of a lethal outbreak, did nothing until it was too late, saw the country being blockaded with rising cases and deaths because of this inaction, and didn't want to take blame for it. As shown on this whitehouse.gov site, "15 Days To Slow The Spread" started March 15. It was extended to 45, see avatar, which meant it was gone by May. Since then, there's been minimal federal regulation or action taken, and we're seeing the results of lack of leadership in record-breaking numbers by the day.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm starting to suspect the Jacksonville RNC thing will turn out like the Tulsa rally. GOP Senators, such as McConnell at 78, aren't exactly a group packed with spring chickens.
    Which is fucking awesome, at least for the good guys, because in canceling the North Carolina convention, the GOP is out almost $38M - nonrefundable. And GOP donors are actively asking why they should now donate more money for a second convention, that might not even happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.

- - - Updated - - -

It is hilarious, not just the 6 that said they are not attending, but the dozen others that won't answer questions about it. They keep pretending Coronavirus isn't a big deal, but for some reason nobody wants to be in the same room with several thousand (Ok, at current rate of decline of Trump's popularity, a couple dozen) maskless Trump fans.

- - - Updated - - -

Which is fucking awesome, at least for the good guys, because in canceling the North Carolina convention, the GOP is out almost $38M - nonrefundable. And GOP donors are actively asking why they should now donate more money for a second convention, that might not even happen.
    They should absolutely donate lots and lots of money to a Jacksonville convention. Jared Kushner should be in charge of collecting all the funds of course.

"We are between banks right now, so just make those checks out to cash" - Cave Johnson, Founder and CEO of Aperture Science.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, apparently Fauci wasn't done.

You have to be having blindfolders on and covering your ears to think we don’t live in a very divisive society from a political standpoint. It’s just unfortunate, but it is what it is.

And you know from experience historically that when you have unanimity in an approach to something, you’re not as effective in how you handle it. So I think you’d have to make the assumption that if there wasn’t such divisiveness, that we would have a more coordinated approach.
    "Blindfolders?"

I just cut and paste, dude. Dude was born in Brooklyn to parents who ran a pharmacy. Probably didn't use a lot of horse terms in day-to-day life.

"Well, it sounds like he's blaming partisanship for the lack of results. That means Democrats are at fault too! MAGA!"

Um...

What we've seen, unfortunately, is that in some of the southern states, the states have not really followed those guidelines in some respects and jumped over the benchmarks
    I mean, you're allowed to say "there's a divide that stops us from having an effective policy" between, say, anti-vaxxers and people with even the barest scrap of scientific knowledge. Or, people who want separate-but-equal and lynchings vs. people born in the 20th century or later. And, yes, between people who say "lock your doors, there are zombies" versus "don't tell me what to AARRRHGHGHGHG OH GOD THE PAIN".

You can point out a divide, while also pointing out one side is being stupid, self-destructive, and sociopathic. Fauci just stated it far more eloquently than I will.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    It is hilarious, not just the 6 that said they are not attending, but the dozen others that won't answer questions about it. They keep pretending Coronavirus isn't a big deal, but for some reason nobody wants to be in the same room with several thousand (Ok, at current rate of decline of Trump's popularity, a couple dozen) maskless Trump fans.

- - - Updated - - -

They should absolutely donate lots and lots of money to a Jacksonville convention. Jared Kushner should be in charge of collecting all the funds of course.

"We are between banks right now, so just make those checks out to cash" - Cave Johnson, Founder and CEO of Aperture Science.
    Lol - that fucking made my day.

They are reaping so much cash from their "campaign" funds. No way anyone sees half that money - remember what happened to the inaugural funds?

10+ Year Old Account
    Once again, it's time for Guess the Disgruntled US Military Officer!

The Confederacy, the American Civil War was fought, and it was an act of rebellion,” Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Mark Milley said. “It was an act of treason at the time against the Union, against the stars and stripes, against the U.S. Constitution, and those officers turn their back on their oath.

Now, some have a different view of that. Some think it’s heritage. Others think it's hate.

The military equity here is divisiveness and, as you mentioned, cohesion. And for those young soldiers that go on to a base, a Fort Hood or a Fort Bragg or a fort wherever, named after a Confederate general, they can be reminded that that general fought for an institution of slavery that may have enslaved one of their ancestors. I had a staff sergeant when I was a young officer who actually told me that at Fort Bragg, and he said he went to work every day on a base that represented a guy who enslaved his grandparents.
    "Surely some low-level...uh...you're going to say it's like the top guy, aren't you?"

Trump appointed General Milley at the head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in 2018. There will be no blaming partisanship here. Gen. Milley did say ultimately it was not his call. Meanwhile Esper, also testifying -- oh yeah, Milley said that under oath -- refused to answer questions about "should we change the name of US military bases named after Confederate traitors?" and instead said there were multiple committees and investigations that could coincidentally take until mid-November.

"Did he actually say mid-Nov?"

No, but I think that's the implication here. Trump's re-election campaign so far is focused mostly on racism, and taking a move to remove the names of Confederate traitors now would cost him some of his base, who would at this point literally rather die to a plague than admit the South lost.

So, Florida Governor DeSantis supposedly said:

"If you can do Home Depot, if you can do Walmart, you can definitely do the schools."
    Because, you know, everyone goes to Home Depot and Walmart for upwards of 8 hours a day five times a week.

Florida is fucked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, remember the time Trump loaned his campaign money, charging interest, so he actually profited off running for office? He was caught and had to forgive the loans in June, but just ended up handing the money back to his own companies anyhow.

Maybe his taxes will show the truth about how much he took political contributions and put them in his pocket, but as recently as literally today, he's still claiming he's under audit. No, really.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Because, you know, everyone goes to Home Depot and Walmart for upwards of 8 hours a day five times a week.
    Hey Benggaul, do you think the people in Wal-Mart and Home Depot, especially the employees, are wearing masks?

And also, how do you feel about leading questions?

10+ Year Old Account
    So Trump the other day said schools in “Germany, Denmark, Norway and Sweden, along with many other countries” were open again without problems.

NBC News went to the named countries and, big surprise, found out this was a blatant lie. Most of the listed countries are having trouble with the new significant restrictions they've put in place. Sweden is the exception, and has the higher-than-US death rate to make it a stupid fucking example Trump never should have used. Not only did EUrope go into lockdown far earlier than the US did and is therefore further ahead on the recovery curve -- as in, they're on the recovery curve, the US is not, meaning they're ahead by eleventy bazillion percent -- but they've moved to such things as "half the children in the morning, half in the afternoon" or finding more teachers for more classrooms.

Trump is not only comparing European apples to his oranges, he's also preparing to fine people for selling oranges when he ordered a deep-fried apple pie.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Yup, this is totally what it is
    HAHAHAHAHAHA what a lying fucking whore. Elective surgeries are being banned in both Florida and also in Texas, shutting that lie the fuck down because both of those stories I linked are several days old, and also, the bans were 100% to free up hospital space for coronavirus cases. Hell, this article published six hours ago says some hospitals in Texas, Florida, and yes California aren't even waiting for bans but telling their own customers not to come in.

EDIT: You know what, let's add this to the list. Trump supporters, you have 24 hours to find evidence that elective surgeries are on the rise over the last week. As surely you're used to by now, failure to even look is admission you know Trump is lying, and that you're a craven coward.
    Last edited by Breccia; 2020-07-09 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    "pure" lol

Also, man, it's almost like something changed in the last few weeks. Like...a lot more people getting infected with the virus or something. Could be wrong though.
    Woah "pee-U-rre" Republicans are just simple folk who don't speak them highfalutin 20 dollar words you elite liberals speak.