What's the most "optimal" flying mount from a functional/hitbox standpoint?

I feel like I'm at the point now where I have no patience left for big fancy looking flying mounts that have deceptive hitboxes making it more frustrating than needed when navigating or interacting with stuff while mounted. One of the worst examples I can think of is the Shaman class mount. Boy, did that one in particular cause a lot of issues back when I was trying to do the flying mount WQs in Legion.

Out of the ones I have, my favorite is probably the engineering Flying Machine from TBC. Not only does it have a nice compact hitbox that corresponds to the way the actual model looks, but it also has very distinct and readable states between its flying and grounded modes which saves me a lot of aggravation during those moments when you need to do something that requires your mount to be on the ground when you're technically still just flying inches above it. Shame it requires you to have engineering as a profession, though.

Otherwise I tend to default to the Leywoven Flying Carpet on my non-engineer chars.

The Hallow's End Broom

Outside of that, probably things like Headless Horseman's Mount, Invincible, Jeweled Onyx Panther, or if you're a mage, the Archmage's Prismatic Disc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Druid flight form, the flying panthers (including the JC panthers), and the hippogryphs I'd say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Puts the "Super" in Supermod Venara's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post
    The Hallow's End Broom

Outside of that, probably things like Headless Horseman's Mount, Invincible, Jeweled Onyx Panther, or if you're a mage, the Archmage's Prismatic Disc.
    The broom is without question the best because it's instant speed mounting. However, except for the Archmage's Prismatic Disc, the other 3 may look cool and have hitboxes that correspond well to the model, but they don't necessary have small hitboxes or other functionality.

There's a few mounts that would better fit the brief, such as:

- Red Flying Cloud (similar to Archmage's, but it's smaller and feels a lot more precise)
    - Vulpine Familiar
    - Squeakers, the Trickster
    - Hogrus, Swine of Good Fortune
    - Pureheart Courser (will be able to fly in SL)

All of the above have very narrow hitboxes and are generally much smaller than other mounts. Don't get me wrong, all of the panthers are also great options but the models are much larger than the mounts listed above and their hitboxes match that difference in size.

If you're looking for an optimal flying mount to get through all kinds of spaces and pretty precise and small hitboxes, the above mounts are your best options.

*edit* I should note that, except for the Red Flying Cloud and the Pureheart Courser, the other 3 are from the In-Game Shop, so this may be a deterrent for some people. The Red Flying Cloud will be the easiest to obtain outside buying one of these from the shop.
    Last edited by Venara; 2020-07-09 at 08:07 PM.
    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

I would say Grand Armored Wyvern (if you're Horde). It's compact and never gets in the way. Easy to tell if the mount is in a grounded or flying state. It also aesthetically fits any Horde character so you don't look out of place while riding it no matter what you play as.

7+ Year Old Account
    Headless Horseman's mount.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara View Post
    The broom is without question the best because it's instant speed mounting. However, except for the Archmage's Prismatic Disc, the other 3 may look cool and have hitboxes that correspond well to the model, but they don't necessary have small hitboxes or other functionality.

There's a few mounts that would better fit the brief, such as:

- Red Flying Cloud (similar to Archmage's, but it's smaller and feels a lot more precise)
    - Vulpine Familiar
    - Squeakers, the Trickster
    - Hogrus, Swine of Good Fortune

All of the above have very narrow hitboxes and are generally much smaller than other mounts. Don't get me wrong, all of the panthers are also great options but the models are much larger than the mounts listed above and their hitboxes match that difference in size.

If you're looking for an optimal flying mount to get through all kinds of spaces and pretty precise and small hitboxes, the above mounts are your best options.

*edit* I should note that, except for the Red Flying Cloud and the Pureheart Courser, the other 3 are from the In-Game Shop, so this may be a deterrent for some people. The Red Flying Cloud will be the easiest to obtain outside buying one of these from the shop.
    I'm a big Fan of the Red Flying Cloud myself and use it most of the time because of the small frame. Problem i noticed is mounting while in the water. You can't mount the cloud while you are "swimming". Even if you are just a couple of inches deep.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
    I'm a big Fan of the Red Flying Cloud myself and use it most of the time because of the small frame. Problem i noticed is mounting while in the water. You can't mount the cloud while you are "swimming". Even if you are just a couple of inches deep.
    The only reason I don't use it on more of my toons; only on my monk.

Edit:
    Not true actually. There is another issue that keeps me from using this mount more regularly: the float mechanism - regularly causes unexpected collisions when trying to move through/into something.

Regardless of those two issues though, it is my monk's full time flying mount.
    Last edited by callipygoustp; 2020-07-10 at 05:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Gecko View Post
    I feel like I'm at the point now where I have no patience left for big fancy looking flying mounts that have deceptive hitboxes making it more frustrating than needed when navigating or interacting with stuff while mounted. One of the worst examples I can think of is the Shaman class mount. Boy, did that one in particular cause a lot of issues back when I was trying to do the flying mount WQs in Legion.
    I would guess the flying disc/cloud from MoP as the smallest if that is what you are looking for. It is quite easy to acquire if I recall. Just need to visit a few stone plaques I think.

My red rocket does as well. The X51. Ultra small hitbox and navigates like a fish. Been using for years and cant use anything else that flaps or is too loud or too big. I'm looking at you Mim!

https://www.wowhead.com/item=35226/x...rocket-x-treme

I like the Nether Rays for minimalistic flying mounts.

As an ex tauren, I really hate getting blocked by door frames.
    So now on my belf I constantly use invincible for that sole reason.
    It also Is my favorite mount overall ������

Madness will consume you!!!

RAF rocket. Small and has 2 seats.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Does flight form count? I mean what else can you fly around on and interact with nearly everything xD

I use Celestial Steed on my main as flying mount. I have used it exclusively since the first day it was available in the store.

On other characters I use Prismatic Disc, Headless Horseman's Mount or Ironbound Wraithcharger.

On my lock I always use the Netherlord's Dreadsteed
    On the other class, most of the time I use anything with the shape of a horse ( Inivicible warforged nightmare because they fly) or a drake ( I love the azure drake)

But I still love the Felsteel Annihilator

10+ Year Old Account
    Another vote for the Hallows End broom, but mostly due to instant mount. Druid flight form is the closest competitor and wins hands down across the board.

For quality of life, it's hard to beat any of the more compact mounts mentioned above - horses, discs, etc.

I still have a soft spot for an old school wyvern.

Quote Originally Posted by Venara View Post
    Really?! That's great, i like it but i rarerly use it since it cannot fly

Anything that uses horse / hippogryph skeleton. Also the cash shop dog I think is even smaller.

My favourite is the Cenarion Hippogryph (and damn was that a grind in the day). It was my first epic mount, and the old hippogryphs have a nice clean model that's pretty small.