Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    How is Voss worse than Calia? She is one of the few people we've seen actually caring for new Forsaken and helping them adjust.
    And I honestly don't see her as a fangirl of Calia; she is probably unwilling to take the responsibility of leadership thrust upon her and just looking to dump it on someone who was supposedly trained their whole life for this exact responsibility.
    Well she was a bad ass super powered killing machine who instead of taking down Sylvanas she bends the knee and becomes a servant to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    I don't like either but I like her more than Calia.
    Calia is a light-controlled corpse, she's practically a puppet of the Naaru and no self-respecting Forsaken, player or NPC would ever want for a leader the embodiment of the very thing that by its very nature hurts them.
    Besides, the term "FORSAKEN" starts losing its meaning.
    So you are saying that even the Forsaken forsake her? Being the most forsaken forsaken seems like a pretty good qualification on being their leader.

I just want Sylvy back - she was by far the best thing to happen to the horde, let alone the Forsaken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Seeing as she is Undead, I don't see why they ever had to boot Sylvanas to begin with, she could have stayed the leader of the Forsaken forever. But of course they wanted to advance her story by making her Warchief and getting her involved with The Jailer. While I'm enjoying the story, they could've easily made some other story that I would also have enjoyed that did not require this sacrifice. It's a very iconic character that is truly difficult to replace. Now that we are where we are, I can't think of a better replacement than Calia Menethil to be honest. For all those years when her whereabouts was unknown and I thought Blizzard might have forgotten about her, I always hoped she would return in a major capacity due to her being the last Menethil. Of course they should probably have re-established her as more of an independent character, to me she seemed very aligned with the Alliance before she suddenly got approached by the Forsaken recently. And the whole Undead infused with the Light thing is also very strange, and puts her apart from the shared experience of the Plague that is part of the identity of the rest of the Forsaken. So, while I have my reservations, I'm ultimately on team Calia for the new Banshee Queen. Oh right, she's no "banshee" so that title won't be fit for her. Aw.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    I just want Sylvy back - she was by far the best thing to happen to the horde, let alone the Forsaken.
    Even after she said The Forsaken are nothing?

You can still have a hot Blood Elf chick on the Horde, they just need to give Valeera a role. Horde doesn't need Sylvanas for the eye candy anymore.

I think it all depends on what the point of Calia is all about. Is it a "She's a Menethil, heir of Lorderon" thing, or a "Light Undead" thing. If it's a Redeemed/Light Undead thing, there was already character that could have filled that slit. If it's a Menethil thing, get ready for exactly what you'd expect.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Calia isn't a Forsaken.
    Lilian Voss isn't leader-material.

Helcular should've been given proper development after his big Legion pre-patch leadership role, and then he should've become the leader of the Forsaken.

I really think it's a "I'm iffy about what I'm seeing, but time will tell" right now. I agree she has unearned respect for Calia, but I also think they had Calia callously/obliviously bring up her father on purpose. Calia has not seen the dark side of the forsaken yet, she sees them as widdle lost sheep in need of a shepherd. I await that wake up call with baited breath.

I think Voss is on the front lines because that'll be the person she finds out from. Derek representing the "lost forsaken" who just want to live their un-lives without being killed for it. Voss representing the "brutal forsaken" who have embraced their monstrosity and laid waste to those who would oppose them.

And I really hope they use the catalyst they have so perfectly set up for that: Calia was part of the group of priests that brought surviving, repentent Scarlet Crusade back into the priestly fold.

Lilian Voss only chilled the hell out because she was adamantly convinced she had murdered every single one, rank and file.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2020-07-10 at 08:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Maybe if they insist on Calia and Voss, maybe the Forsaken will be lead by a new Desolate Council?

Voss
    Calia (I don't care why you think she doesn't belong, clearly Blizz has other plans)
    Dark Ranger Velonara
    Alonsus Faol
    Helcular - I totally forgot about this guy.
    Apothecary Master Faranell

I think I'd prefer a council tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by HateTrain View Post
    Maybe if they insist on Calia and Voss, maybe the Forsaken will be lead by a new Desolate Council?

Voss
    Calia (I don't care why you think she doesn't belong, clearly Blizz has other plans)
    Dark Ranger Velonara
    Alonsus Faol
    Helcular - I totally forgot about this guy.
    Apothecary Master Faranell

I think I'd prefer a council tbh.
    If we're talking a council of leaders for the Forsaken, I'd suggest the following:

Voss as the nominal head and representative in the greater Horde council.
    Calia as spiritual advisor and vizier.
    Dark Ranger Velonara as head of the Dark Rangers.
    High Executor Anselm as head of the Deathguard.
    Commander Belmont as head of the Deathstalkers.
    Faranell as head of the Apothecaries.

This would represent all the main factions of Forsaken society in a unified and varied council with different interests, stances, and backgrounds.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    If we're talking a council of leaders for the Forsaken, I'd suggest the following:

Voss as the nominal head and representative in the greater Horde council.
    Calia as spiritual advisor and vizier.
    Dark Ranger Velonara as head of the Dark Rangers.
    High Executor Anselm as head of the Deathguard.
    Commander Belmont as head of the Deathstalkers.
    Faranell as head of the Apothecaries.

This would represent all the main factions of Forsaken society in a unified and varied council with different interests, stances, and backgrounds.
    Yeah, I could get behind that. Members not withstanding, with Voss not wanting to lead and Calia seeming hesitant/reluctant/disintersted to, I really thought a council was where they were heading.

Voss isn't a great choice but she's better than Calia

It'd be nicer if they'd develop some existing forsaken though
    Twas brillig

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by HateTrain View Post
    Yeah, I could get behind that. Members not withstanding, with Voss not wanting to lead and Calia seeming hesitant/reluctant/disintersted to, I really thought a council was where they were heading.
    A council might be where they ultimately end up, it's a good fit for them especially on the heels of Sylvanas' consuming all temporal power unto herself previously. I think Voss is just unsure of herself - but time and experience could fix that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tincjin View Post
    Even if in some weird way Calia makes sense as Forsaken leader (though again - very very very little sense )

She really has no place in the Horde. She's human. Daughter of a king who ordered orcs to be imprisoned (I am not saying the orcs are good guys). I fail to see how anyone within the Horde can look at her and be like: "Welcome to Orgrimmar!"

Also, I hate the sudden change of her character. In Legion, she was all like: "I want nothing to do with the throne." Suddenly she's obsessed with taking command?

I wish Blizzard would stop forcing her down our throats. Especially to us Horde; we've been through enough. Leave us alone.
    The majority of the Forsaken are former Humans, though; and so is Calia now.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Blademaster
    5+ Year Old Account
    Too bad they buried Council of Tirisfal idea. Imo that was better than calia and butchered bfa voss. They could even put new faces there with proper lore explanation.

And the majority of them were once who once served as Scourge under the Lich King's banner. Many of them probably forgot what it's like to be human. They have suffered far worse than Calia.

She was brought back by the Light; She's basically a different species of undead. In my book that is not enough for one to be leader.

Just because Mayla is a tauren, she cannot go over the Thunder Bluff taurens or the taunka and be like: "I'm your Chieftain now."

It simply does not add up.

Sylvanas, although she was an elf, was a banshee that has been tormented and broken as an undead. She understood the suffering others have gone through.

No matter how much one might try to defend it; Calia just doesn't make any sense as a character. Especially as a Forsaken leader.
    Bold = Negative my dude. It's been established that more often than not, they remember their past lives.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    And the majority of them were once who once served as Scourge under the Lich King's banner. Many of them probably forgot what it's like to be human. They have suffered far worse than Calia.

She was brought back by the Light; She's basically a different species of undead. In my book that is not enough for one to be leader.

Just because Mayla is a tauren, she cannot go over the Thunder Bluff taurens or the taunka and be like: "I'm your Chieftain now."

It simply does not add up.

Sylvanas, although she was an elf, was a banshee that has been tormented and broken as an undead. She understood the suffering others have gone through.

No matter how much one might try to defend it; Calia just doesn't make any sense as a character. Especially as a Forsaken leader.
    They seem to remember their former humanity just fine, really; given the number of them who bemoan and contrast their state now as opposed to previously. There's also a pretty wide variance in how the various Forsaken where brought back - from those raised by the Plague of Undeath and freed, those directly raised by the Val'kyr, those who were incorporeal spirits such as banshees who later re-inhabited their former bodies, etc. etc. Calia is a different kind of undead, sure; but so are Abominations (who are also in the ranks of the Forsaken).

As for being the ruler, well, Calia has yet to request such a thing. So far the only person really stumping for Calia to become the leader is Voss herself, so that example with Mayla doesn't really apply. Not all the Forsaken really share in the experience with the Scourge anymore, either; those raised by the Val'kyr from Cata until the current day don't really share in those formative experiences.

The only place Calia belongs is a shallow grave. There is no version of the story where she is in charge and the Forsaken retain any element of their characterization. Either she goes or they go and given that they already went in order to introduce her, we know who'll win out on that one. Calia is guaranteed.

The only variant of the Calia story that has promise is to completely commit to what she is - the post-BTS story doesn't have the Forsaken as forsaken, they are dupes who lack any agency who's every action prior was wrong and to whom reconciliation was always an hour away. The Light never abandoned them in any real sense. Their immediate turn to Calia shows both their complete lack of initiative and self-identity and their need to ape their prior lives, with zero alteration to account for undeath. Go head first into all of these - Turn them into a new Risen - an extremely devoted group of Light worshipers who'll repent to the extent of self-flagellation and would use the Light, even if it hurts them, in order to repent, come closer to their Queen and be more like the living they wish to reestablish bonds to. The inhumanity would thus stay, as they'd be deprived of all terrestrial needs that'd bring a normal person into a conflict of faith. Make 'tirelessly striving to protect the living' their credo, with them being able to do and die in the fashion the living can't and ditto having a clarity of purpose that a person who needs to eat, drink, sleep, love etc. doesn't.
    Last edited by Super Dickmann; 2020-07-10 at 09:40 PM.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

Calia doesen't belong with the forsaken. Only alliance fans relling In schadenfreude think otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Grazrug View Post
    Calia doesen't belong with the forsaken. Only alliance fans relling In schadenfreude think otherwise.
    What is it with people thinking others only like Calia as an evil plot against them? The tinfoil hats are really in nowadays. Jesus christ.
    I am a player who is passionate about both factions, I play both. I have forsaken characters. I like Calia and wish she would bring a step forward to the stagnated forsaken identity and plot. Not schadenfreude. Not because of what anyone else feels about it. Just because people like different things ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post retcon/BFA Voss, while hardly perfect in any way, is perhaps the only Forsaken character that kinda feels like a Forsaken, rather than an emo genocidal whiner, her pissant boytoy, or the ever-gentle super special light undead lady pulled out of nowhere to replace the first two.

In general the race has a fair amount of decent characters, it's just that the shit ones get all the spotlight, and don't even look like Forsaken in the first place. No idea why the Forsaken have to veer between the extremes of baby eating mad scientists out to exterminate the living or misunderstood underdogs tirelessly striving to protect said living, when I daresay they're the race with the most potential for nuanced, interesting storytelling about their identity.

Well I know why, because Blizzard are bad writers, but still.

are they even the "forsaken" anymore? they are getting accepted by the other races now.