Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Significant change to M+ gear drop rates in Shadowlands

Looks like this has mostly slipped under the radar but this is a pretty big change (especially for those of us who exclusively play M+). Moving into SL, it looks like Blizzard is going to decrease the drop rate of gear in M+ to a single piece in the box at the end of the dungeon. Obviously this could change at a later date but this will effectively neuter one of the easiest ways to gear your toon in the expansion.

Here's the interview, and the specific information from Ion quoted below:

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    So the exact quantities are still evolving (please don't quote me 100% on this) but notably for Mythic+ it will be one item from the end-of-run chest that is repeatable. The weekly loot chest will still have a greater selection of items to choose from (still one a week) but that should be a more reliable source of upgrades since you can best pick the one that suits your needs out of a wider range of things that you've earned. We're continuing with personal loot and tradability. The baseline reasons for moving away from Group Loot/Master Loot to Personal Loot 3-4 years ago haven't meaningfully changed. I think if anything, some of the potential abuses inherent in Master Loot, where people lose agency or control over their own items--the items now belong to the guild master, or a PUG leader that has arbitrary rules--these things are even more-heightened when things are scarse. So we feel like also without the randomness of Warforged/Titanforging messing with tradability, personal loot should be more consistent then ever in terms of distributing upgrades.
    I'm usually a supporter of Blizzard but after seeing the way that Soulbinds are going to work on top of this change to M+ I'm deeply regretting my decision to preorder this expansion.

As stated by yourself, M+ was the easiest method to gear in the game. A nerf is very well deserved, especially since the entire game is moving to a bit slower gearing pace with simpler gear - something asked for by many.

It's known for a long time now that they were planning to reduce the amount of loot we get. That's what needs to happen when there is no RNG bullshit like titanforging or corruptions.

One item is interesting, though. So I guess there won't be a loot punishment for not beating the timer anymore.

I don't see this as a huge issue...yet.
    As far as I can tell, crafted gear will matter somewhat again, the legendary crafting system is also there to fill in some holes...and whatever covenant gear and raid gear that drops will also help fill up.

Crafted gear is the one thing I sincerely hope will be viable for at least mid M+ content, perhaps too Heroic raiding. I'm not worrying "too" much yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabby
    I'm Commander Crabby, and this is my favorite forum on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    As stated by yourself, M+ was the easiest method to gear in the game. A nerf is very well deserved, especially since the entire game is moving to a bit slower gearing pace with simpler gear - something asked for by many.
    I'd like to know who this "many" is because outside of hardcore Classic fans, I don't really see it. To me this sounds like Ion doubling down on his defense against their removal of Master Looter (another remarkably shitty decision on Blizzard's part) with the added bonus of making one of the most enjoyable aspects of this game (imo) much less appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    I'd like to know who this "many" is because outside of hardcore Classic fans, I don't really see it. To me this sounds like Ion doubling down on his defense against their removal of Master Looter (another remarkably shitty decision on Blizzard's part) with the added bonus of making one of the most enjoyable aspects of this game (imo) much less appealing.
    Do you still run m+ for gear?

People did this in the first week and then they had everything needed. Now it's just interesting for alts. For my main the gear that drops in m+ is completly 100% irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry Lemon View Post
    it's good that they're doing this...
    Not for people who like to play alts. Managing alts in the past 2 expansions was already bad enough with all the side-progression systems that were required - now on top of those still existing in SL, it's also going to take 3x as long to gear.

I'm curious about the engagement rates Mythic+ will have in Shadowlands. With no Titanforging or Corruption, no AP, what motivation do you have to keep running them after doing your weekly? I'm sure there are people that will run them just to push rankings and shit but they are the tiny minority. I'm scared they are going to kill their best system in years.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

or it will be 2 items if you time it and 1 if you don't time it...
    I feel like they'd have specifically mentioned that if that was the case.

In the end, having an additional item drop for being fast is kinda a double dip. Being fast is a reward in itself. A fast group can do more dungeon runs and therefore get more item drops anyway.

It was already largely hinted at and is absolutely no surprise.

M+ simply was too efficient compared to any other game mode.
    The only people who could pass on M+ as far as non weekly rewards are concerned are Mythic raiders and those usually spammed M+ during the first weeks of a new patch to grab more Heroic Ilvl gear.

A mode that has no lockout while also awarding equivalent loot is extremely problematic when every other loot source is lockout based.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    I'd like to know who this "many" is because outside of hardcore Classic fans, I don't really see it.
    I, for one, and many in my guild, actually favor changes in this direction. Gearing used to matter. Getting an upgrade used to be exciting. Now, it lost all its meaning, because you get too much loot, and specific BiS is often tainted by either Titanforged pieces or recently Corruptions.

I look back to the days where we could actually define a reliable BiS set which doesn't change everytime you get a titanforged item. It actually felt good to get those missing pieces after a few weeks, get a BiS piece you know will last you, instead of being showered by loot within your first days into progression.

In BfA, and Legion, I rarely bothered to look at loot beforehand. I just got what I got and equipped it. You got so much that it was largely irrelevant and you could just sort it out later. The lack of sets didn't help that.

I got bored of Classic around level 20, just for some context.

Great now I will only need to do the same dungeon for bis trinkets because blizzard fucked up big time with them in BFA ONLY 500 times

I guess people won't be complaining raid gear is meaningless anymore now they'll be literally thirsting for purpz come raid night.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    I, for one, and many in my guild, actually favor changes in this direction. Gearing used to matter. Getting an upgrade used to be exciting. Now, it lost all its meaning, because you get too much loot, and specific BiS is often tainted by either Titanforged pieces or recently Corruptions.

I look back to the days where we could actually define a reliable BiS set which doesn't change everytime you get a titanforged item. It actually felt good to get those missing pieces after a few weeks, get a BiS piece you know will last you, instead of being showered by loot within your first days into progression.

In BfA, and Legion, I rarely bothered to look at loot beforehand. I just got what I got and equipped it. You got so much that it was largely irrelevant and you could just sort it out later. The lack of sets didn't help that.

I got bored of Classic around level 20, just for some context.
    I understand the reasoning for the change and I expected a slight nerf to gear in M+ but this is a significant decrease. I like to play alts and I pretty much only play M+ because my life has changed a lot in recent years and I can no longer consistently raid like I could in previous expansions. This change simply makes the gearing process an even more arduous journey for me and one which I doubt I'll be able to commit myself to doing. (It'll also bring about armor-specific boosts again.) This just leaves a very poor taste in my mouth and I understand that the way I play the game may put me in a minority but I don't see why such a massive nerf was necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Benitora View Post
    I don't see this as a huge issue...yet.
    As far as I can tell, crafted gear will matter somewhat again, the legendary crafting system is also there to fill in some holes...and whatever covenant gear and raid gear that drops will also help fill up.

Crafted gear is the one thing I sincerely hope will be viable for at least mid M+ content, perhaps too Heroic raiding. I'm not worrying "too" much yet.
    But the crafting gear has been very viable the entirety of BFA, every tier you've been guaranteed 2 mythic ilvl pieces. Before 8.3 those could be replaced by titanforged pieces though. Other than the deterministic crafting method they have revealed for SL has anything else changed?

i play alts... it's ridiculous how fast you can gear an alt right now... i just started playing horde m+ recently and my priest on horde is 466 now... my paladin on horde is 464...
    As it should be since you also have to grind through all the other bullshit like the legendary quest line, getting proper essences and corruptions, azerite gear, etc.

I agree with this,m+ is a bit to rewarding and easily farmable,it did get a nerf when titanforging got removed as you cant just spam em and eventualy you got a good high ilvl

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I do think a single loot drop per dungeon is a little too extreme, but I think 2 per is reasonable enough

Quote Originally Posted by Siraeyou View Post
    I do think a single loot drop per dungeon is a little too extreme, but I think 2 per is reasonable enough
    I'd say two with a chance at a third piece for keys completed above level 10/15 is the sweet spot.

Is it going to be one item for the entire 5-man group? or 1 item per person?