Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Ugh. Trump commutes Roger Stone

This is a disgusting use of power. Makes you wonder what he had on Trump to get this.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/10/polit...ncy/index.html
    Last edited by smityx; 2020-07-11 at 07:21 AM.

It would appear that after centuries of just giving themselves more power because they are the ones who create power the executive (and legislative) branch of government may need reform.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

I actually do not have a problem with this yes it is corrupt but well within his powers and that of other presidents. I am more disturbed by the Michael Flynn case where he used the justice department so he wouldn't have to pardon him. The power of the executive has been rampant for decades ever growing, here's hoping Trump screwed the pooch and it starts to get reeled in after him.

Anyone surprised by this? LOL
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    I'm not surprised every president pardons scumbags.

https://www.justice.gov/pardon/obama-pardons

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    I'm not surprised every president pardons scumbags.

https://www.justice.gov/pardon/obama-pardons
    Trump commuted the sentence because Covid is too dangerous, while demanding children go back to school.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    I didn’t think he would use covid as the reason... he finally recognized it as a threat... to Stone...

Both, Manafort and now Stone, are out of prison, because of covid... but, America must open up...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    This is a disgusting use of power. Makes you wonder what he had on Trump to get this.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/10/polit...ncy/index.html
    In your opinion. legally, they have the authority to do so. So he is acting lawfully, according to the authority the Constitution grants him. Only way that is corrupt is Congress's failure to change the authority they have given to our Presidents.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    In your opinion. legally, they have the authority to do so. So he is acting lawfully, according to the authority the Constitution grants him. Only way that is corrupt is Congress's failure to change the authority they have given to our Presidents.
    Who do you think he was talking for? President of Uruguay?
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Not the fact that Trump and DeVos spent yesterday demanding children go back to school, but covid is too dangerous for Manafort and Stone? Trump is using a “hoax” virus to free his friends that are in jail over the Russian “hoax”. Complicit...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Who do you think he was talking for? President of Uruguay?
    Doesn't matter. The President has that degree of authority. Not the only President who has pardoned someone many felt never should have been. It is kind like thinking a Judge or Jury is corrupt on finding a person guilty or not guilty, based on your own personal opinion. In that case, tough shit. Doesn't change the fact by the law, they are free to go.

Write your congress member and demand Presidential pardon reform.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

The subject is interesting beyond Cheeto bad (because Cheeto is bad but not directly relevant here).

Aside from the general question of if there should be some actual regulation and oversight of people in office not created, mediated and controlled by people in office (which there should be). Or why the group of land-owning billionaires gave the legislative and executive arms of government (that could only be held by landowning billionaires) disproportional power to the judicial arm.

Does the good investing in one person the ability to pardon someone who has potentially been prosecuted under an unjust (but legal) law. Outweigh the potential harm of the one person also unjustly issuing pardons?
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

Doesn't matter. The President has that degree of authority. Not the only President who has pardoned someone many felt never should have been. It is kind like thinking a Judge or Jury is corrupt on finding a person guilty or not guilty, based on your own personal opinion. In that case, tough shit. Doesn't change the fact by the law, they are free to go.

It does matter because he was expressing his opinion on the matter, not whetever it was legal or not. You made the error first in trying to shift the discussion to legality when it was of opinion and now you doubly failed when you try to explain it to me.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

That takes too long. We can just vote the corrupt moron out in a few months a lot easier. Problem solved.

10+ Year Old Account
    It does matter because he was expressing his opinion on the matter, not whetever it was legal or not. You made the error first in trying to shift the discussion to legality when it was of opinion and now you doubly failed when you try to explain it to me.
    It's your opinion it matters. And really, our opinion on any subject on this forum, in reality does not matter to the extent of any real changes happening. Real change happens from actions. If enough of US citizens are pissed about it, then they should petition Congress and ask for reform. Or more realistically of actually making a change, get out and vote.

But of course, you are free to express your opinions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    That takes too long. We can just vote the corrupt moron out in a few months a lot easier. Problem solved.
    There you go.

It's your opinion it matters. And really, our opinion on any subject on this forum, in reality does not matter to the extent of any real changes happening. Real change happens from actions. If enough of US citizens are pissed about it, then they should petition Congress and ask for reform. Or more realistically of actually making a change, get out and vote.

But of course, you are free to express your opinions.
    Did you take class at corporate PR? That's a lot of words to say nothing

The president is pardoning the criminals he employed. Not even Nixon did this shit in broad daylight.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Trump commuted the sentence because Covid is too dangerous, while demanding children go back to school.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn’t think he would use covid as the reason... he finally recognized it as a threat... to Stone...

Both, Manafort and now Stone, are out of prison, because of covid... but, America must open up...
    Unless you're a foreign national studying at US universities. If those universities only offer online courses next semester, those student are asked to leave the country.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you take class at corporate PR? That's a lot of words to say nothing
    Getting personal can sometimes be the result of failing to get the response one wants from another, or a lack of actually having a good point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    The president is pardoning the criminals he employed. Not even Nixon did this shit in broad daylight.
    His Vice President pardoned his former boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Because the Presidential pardon has never been misused at all ever in the history of the country before the Cheeto.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    Because the Presidential pardon has never been misused at all ever in the history of the country before the Cheeto.
    This is only a relevant point, if you own a time machine. Otherwise, this is the chewbacca defense...

- - - Updated - - -

His Vice President pardoned his former boss.
    Why aren’t you claiming that this is part of the Russian hoax? Why aren’t you downplaying covid? You are acting as if we don’t know why Stone was released. According to Trump’s White House, it’s because COVID is a major threat. You know... the opposite of what Trump claims for American people. Releasing him from serving time, for conspiring against the US, which is also a hoax according to Trump. Strange... Pence can’t pardon when Trump appoints Barr to skirt any conviction...