Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    the atomic bomb was an unknown at this point and you might not now this the world didn't have internet during ww2
    Japan didn't need the internet to know they'd been hit by the most dangerous weapon the world had ever seen. The sun rose twice.

And I don't need to justify this. The decisions were made 75 years ago by people who are all dead now, and a generation before I was born. We have the benefit of hindsight now, and the world's changed. My original statement even laments the fact that the bombs were dropped due to tragic inability to understand or communicate. Half or more of the people here have been saying "if we knew then what we know now, we wouldn't have" and that's great. Doesn't apply to the original issue, back in 1945, when the Americans had no good answers left, and picked what seemed like the least bad one -- incinerating two cities full of civilians, to send the message "give up" in the largest letters the human race has ever seen.

I'd like to think we've learned the lesson as a species. These weapons have never been used in war since. Hopefully, we have. I hope to never learn I'm wrong.

You know, if you want to sleep better at night and justify it like this then please do so.
    Otherwise.
    3 days is hardly enough time to surrender when you don't even know what the F is going on, the atomic bomb was an unknown at this point and you might not now this the world didn't have internet during ww2 or youtube to livestream this event.

Kind of sad how you really can't defend this and yet you try.
    Oh please, just stop.
    They could have always surrendered before, they were demanded to surrender, they knew the war was lost, there were enough warnings and the firebombings already had showed that Allies WILL bomb them if they keep this up. After the second bomb and the decision to surrender there was even a coup attempt to continue the war because the fucking fanatics wanted to fight that badly.
    Oh, and telephones existed. Tokyo knew before the second bomb that Hiroshima was flattened. It does not take long to radio to Allies that they would surrender, yet they did not.
    Enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

You can justify anything if you really try hard enough.

Eventually someone was going to use Nuclear weapons and one could argue that its good that we used them when they were relatively smaller/weaker but still so horrible that people swore off using them for anything other than dick measuring contests.

You could also argue that the event made the Japanese more sympathetic and less villainous in the eyes of most of the world except like China.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Oh please, just stop.
    They could have always surrendered before, they were demanded to surrender, they knew the war was lost, there were enough warnings and the firebombings already had showed that Allies WILL bomb them if they keep this up. After the second bomb and the decision to surrender there was even a coup attempt to continue the war because the fucking fanatics wanted to fight that badly.
    Oh, and telephones existed. Tokyo knew before the second bomb that Hiroshima was flattened. It does not take long to radio to Allies that they would surrender, yet they did not.
    Enough.
    That alongside that the reactions from the other major powers weren't " what was that thing they just did???" so much as " The Americans cracked it on how to build a working bomb!".

E.g the transcript from their German nuclear scientist counterparts discussing the matter while imprisoned and being secretly recorded after finding out fairly shortly afterwards is a good read on the matter of understanding in the Axis powers of whether it could possibly be done.

100% justified. It saved more lives in the long run. A full blown ground invasion, and more fire bombings would have resulted in way more overall deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    You could also argue that the event made the Japanese more sympathetic and less villainous in the eyes of most of the world except like China.
    don't forget South Korea. And for good reason.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    Not really, you are missing the point. They showed the USSR that the USA were ready to deploy those things in conventional warfare if needed. And we are living in a fallout world right now because the USSR leaders were not fools.
    I get your point, I think it's reprehensible is what my point is.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Japan didn't need the internet to know they'd been hit by the most dangerous weapon the world had ever seen. The sun rose twice.

And I don't need to justify this. The decisions were made 75 years ago by people who are all dead now, and a generation before I was born. We have the benefit of hindsight now, and the world's changed. My original statement even laments the fact that the bombs were dropped due to tragic inability to understand or communicate. Half or more of the people here have been saying "if we knew then what we know now, we wouldn't have" and that's great. Doesn't apply to the original issue, back in 1945, when the Americans had no good answers left, and picked what seemed like the least bad one -- incinerating two cities full of civilians, to send the message "give up" in the largest letters the human race has ever seen.

I'd like to think we've learned the lesson as a species. These weapons have never been used in war since. Hopefully, we have. I hope to never learn I'm wrong.
    So you admin that you are wrong? Because that's the only conclusion I can draw based on your reaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you admin that you are wrong?
    Um...are you asking if I think, based on what we know now, that it was a bad decision? Or are you asking if my attempt to explain what happened at the time based on the information known at the time is off because the US implicitly trusted Stalin to jump in, even though they were going to drop a second bomb anyhow?

7+ Year Old Account
    If a war is already operating under the premise that civilians are fair game then I don't see a meaningful distinction between killing them slower with conventional weapons(or fire) vs nukes.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know, if you want to sleep better at night and justify it like this then please do so.
    Otherwise.
    3 days is hardly enough time to surrender when you don't even know what the F is going on, the atomic bomb was an unknown at this point and you might not now this the world didn't have internet during ww2 or youtube to livestream this event.

Kind of sad how you really can't defend this and yet you try.
    They weren't ignorant, they knew exactly what the first bomb meant
    They certainly knew what a nuclear bomb was, no one had managed to build one. Hell all parties knew that the first guy with the bomb was going to be the victor.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Justified. The war was swiftly ended afterwards. The world got to see first hand how bad the use of these weapons were. Two good news situations when stopping the worse war ever and not having these weapons used freely in the next were reasonably desired outcomes. Both nations have become friends both militarily and economically after the fact which says a lot. So the only people that really harp on about are those that have a bone to pick for some other reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    Both nations have become friends both militarily and economically after the fact which says a lot. So the only people that really harp on about are those that have a bone to pick for some other reason.
    the US and Japan are not friends, just neutral.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    the US and Japan are not friends, just neutral.
    Don't think we would have bases in and do military exercises with someone we are just "neutral" to.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Don't think we would have bases in and do military exercises with someone we are just "neutral" to.
    we keep military presence in Japan because we don't trust them and vice versa. Japanese people hate the presence of US troops stationed there but we never forgave them for WW2 so we're not going anywhere.

A lot of people question whether Japan really has real freedom or independence or whether it's a puppet state for the American interests near the area.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    we keep military presence in Japan because we don't trust them and vice versa. Japanese people hate the presence of US troops stationed there but we never forgave them for WW2 so we're not going anywhere.

A lot of people question whether Japan really has real freedom or independence or whether it's a puppet state for the American interests near the area.
    Source?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan%...ates_relations
    Public opinion

Views on Japan in the United States[89]

According to a 2015 Pew survey, 68% of Americans believe that the US can trust Japan, compared to 75% of Japanese who believe that Japan can trust the United States.[90] According to a 2017 Pew survey, 57% of people in Japan had a favorable view of the United States, 75% had a favorable view of the American people, and 24% had confidence in the US president.[91] A 2018 Gallup poll showed that 87% of Americans had a favorable view of Japan.[89]
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_O..._rape_incident
    leading to
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...es_Japan#Crime

also very recently
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ct-coronovirus

Also the Japanese political cabinet is run by ultranationalists that deny any wrong in WW2, which would mean they are spiritually enemies of America. Abe is one of these people deep down but he likes to curry favor with America outwardly.

10+ Year Old Account
    None of those say what you are claiming.

I mean hell this is in one of them

Even though in 2002, 73.4% of Japanese citizens stated that they appreciated the mutual security treaty with the U.S. and the presence of the USFJ,

The person debating this is one of those agenda andies that has to force thier own view into the matter. These facts probably won't make a difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu
    It was a war, there were no "nice folks".
    As I said, there was plenty of blame to spread around. Law of War was in an evolving state and WWII, for all the questionable exceptions, at least set about drawing lines and giving some form to the ideals of the Kellogg-Briand Pact.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.