Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    Same thing with Thordan, he used the aether inside the dragon's eye, to turn into a primal, the prayers of his followers is what gave him the form of Thordan.
    Which is what I mean when I say we're a catalyst away from turning into a Primal. We pick up something that's got a lot of Aether or run into a room full of crystals and we turn into an idealised Primal version of how the people of Eorzea picture the Warrior of Light. All it takes is one enterprising villain with a bit of imagination and we end up turning into the very monsters which we fight.

5.0 I'm surprised that after the Eighth Umbral Calamity, the WoL wasn't summoned to deliver the people out of the age of war. The WoL's name held such weight that even the Namazu on the other side of the continent traveled to help out the Ironworks. Even centuries later, people sat around campfires retelling the adventures of the WoL. Given the disposition of the summon, there's a good chance that the Primal of Light wouldn't go around tempering people (except maybe if was asked to temper his new party members, not to control them but to protect them from being tempered by someone else). The Primal of Light wouldn't be a danger to the world (besides being a black hole for aether, but it could be argued that would be acceptable given the circumstances).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Well, the whole, "Aether and a Prayer" thing was already on display in ARR, although I guess you had to do Coils to get the full story?
    Yep, you did.
    Including a rather interesting development, concerning the elderly Elezen in the main CGI.

Finally pulled the trigger and purchased the game. Cant wait to dive into this world

Quote Originally Posted by Renimosity View Post
    Finally pulled the trigger and purchased the game. Cant wait to dive into this world
    You're in for a treat if you like story and take your time. If you try to rush to max level/endgame you're probably going to have a bad time. Just remember, there's no rush. Just focus on the main story quests, class quests and any quests with the little + icon since that means it unlocks something notable. Another reason to take your time is so that you can benefit from the next patch (5.3 on Aug 11th) changes to the ARR main story quests which will significantly cut down on the fluff leading up to Heavensward content.

I know we're due to get another Live Letter soon, though it's a shame that we don't get a new screenshot every few days to help tide us over due to the delay. It doesn't even need to be anything that'd be a major spoiler - just something that helps stimulate discussion and speculation.

MMO vibes at their best.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status...54815804174337

hmm didn't see anybody post this yet, heres the date for the Live Letter July 22nd.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Renimosity View Post
    Levelling is more fun than actually being max level.

Quote Originally Posted by EllieNora View Post
    Levelling is more fun than actually being max level.
    I guess it's the feeling that you are "completing" something; when you level up jobs it feels good because you know you're pushing towards having every combat job maxxed out. If I'm doing non-raid content on a max level job, it can feel like I'm wasting my time because I'm not "progressing". Doing roulette as max level for tomestones doesn't feel too good either, because the tomestones are for a gear treadmill that is temporary. All of your hard work means nothing come the next raid or crafting tier of gear.

I guess one way to alleviate that feeling would be to implement another leveling system. Diablo 3 has the infinite leveling thing/Paragon levels, where even once you hit level cap you still get EXP and when you level up you get a point you can put into some other stat, but that doesn't feel too good because you're not on a journey with a tangible "end goal"; you just level forever. GW2 has a similar system called masteries, where the points can be used on a completely different talent tree, and it feels better because there is a tangible end goal (earn all of the masteries). The problem is that FFXIV doesn't do talent trees or anything.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I guess it's the feeling that you are "completing" something; when you level up jobs it feels good because you know you're pushing towards having every combat job maxxed out. If I'm doing non-raid content on a max level job, it can feel like I'm wasting my time because I'm not "progressing". Doing roulette as max level for tomestones doesn't feel too good either, because the tomestones are for a gear treadmill that is temporary. All of your hard work means nothing come the next raid or crafting tier of gear.

I guess one way to alleviate that feeling would be to implement another leveling system. Diablo 3 has the infinite leveling thing/Paragon levels, where even once you hit level cap you still get EXP and when you level up you get a point you can put into some other stat, but that doesn't feel too good because you're not on a journey with a tangible "end goal"; you just level forever. GW2 has a similar system called masteries, where the points can be used on a completely different talent tree, and it feels better because there is a tangible end goal (earn all of the masteries). The problem is that FFXIV doesn't do talent trees or anything.
    Well that and healing at 80 revolves around GCD optimisation to fit in the most damage GCDs as possible whilst having to heal as little as possible. Tanks with their en masse no cooldown chain pulliing, people randomly standing in stuff in levelling dungeons makes healing them whilst levelling more fun than healing at 80 which is essentially apply a dot and spam glare/broil/malefic over and over.

Your Lalafell avatar is cute btw.

I guess one way to alleviate that feeling would be to implement another leveling system.
    Agreed. That's why I liked the Deep Dungeons and Eureka. It gave me something to work on when I wasn't necessarily in the mood to hit up roulettes, crafting/gathering or mount farming. I enjoy the game well enough, though I wish it were bolder in terms of what if offered for the end game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well that and healing at 80 revolves around GCD optimisation to fit in the most damage GCDs as possible whilst having to heal as little as possible. Tanks with their en masse no cooldown chain pulliing, people randomly standing in stuff in levelling dungeons makes healing them whilst levelling more fun than healing at 80 which is essentially apply a dot and spam glare/broil/malefic over and over.
    That's because Lv80 content is a) undertuned and b) our chars are hopelessly overgeared.
    SE is simply too chicken to make anything except savage raiding even remotely challenging, especially for us healers.
    I agree that the DPS button mashing sucks. That's not why I rolled a healer. <_<

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    Because that is exactly what happens to the player - The more good deeds you do and the more your reputation as the Warrior of Light grows, the more powerful you become.

It's even mechanically reinforced, you do quests for people in need, you get XP that allows you to acquire more power. While King whats'-his-name needs a catalyst to transform into a primal Shiva only needed to accept the power that was offered IIRC. It leaves us, the player, in a place where we're theoretically one level up away from becoming the same.

It's one of the few times where the games mechanics line up with the story, which is probably why it's one of the few plot points I actually cared to remember
    The WoL is not a summoned being (at least that we know of yet) so this is not what is happening. The will of the summoners is what gives a primal their appearance and powers, and aether is used as the material to manifest that will in physical form.

5.0 I'm surprised that after the Eighth Umbral Calamity, the WoL wasn't summoned to deliver the people out of the age of war. The WoL's name held such weight that even the Namazu on the other side of the continent traveled to help out the Ironworks. Even centuries later, people sat around campfires retelling the adventures of the WoL. Given the disposition of the summon, there's a good chance that the Primal of Light wouldn't go around tempering people (except maybe if was asked to temper his new party members, not to control them but to protect them from being tempered by someone else). The Primal of Light wouldn't be a danger to the world (besides being a black hole for aether, but it could be argued that would be acceptable given the circumstances).
    I mean if people revered the WoL that much it makes sense they never tried to make a primal out of him. Why would they do exactly the one thing the WoL spent his entire life preventing/stopping, it would be an insult to his legacy.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    That's because Lv80 content is a) undertuned and b) our chars are hopelessly overgeared.
    SE is simply too chicken to make anything except savage raiding even remotely challenging, especially for us healers.
    I agree that the DPS button mashing sucks. That's not why I rolled a healer. <_<
    They're capable of it. Some of the ultimate mechanics really are evil when you're doing early prog before a lot of the resources are up. They just don't because unfortunately it's not what they want their endgame to be. It could be so much more than it is, but their vision does not compute with ours.

10+ Year Old Account
    They're capable of it. Some of the ultimate mechanics really are evil when you're doing early prog before a lot of the resources are up.
    I was talking about non raiding content. That is a joke in difficulty, sadly.
    For those of us that no longer raid, there isn't much out there in terms of being able to apply player skill.

3+ Year Old Account
    For those of us that no longer raid, there isn't much out there in terms of being able to apply player skill.
    Yeah I know, I was just sort of making the point that SE have "still got it" in terms of knowing what stuff that's difficult to do looks like, they're just choosing to go a different way in their MMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I know, I was just sort of making the point that SE have "still got it" in terms of knowing what stuff that's difficult to do looks like, they're just choosing to go a different way in their MMO.
    They simply copy WoW in that respect.

They could start by doing challenging singleplayer content, like WoW's mage tower challenges; would be pretty straightforward to create one fight for each role (tank, healer, melee dps, ranged). Basically progression on a raid boss but without the stress of having to organize your schedule and guild drama and stuff. Could also do challenging 4 man content.

10+ Year Old Account
    They could start by doing challenging singleplayer content, like WoW's mage tower challenges; would be pretty straightforward to create one fight for each role (tank, healer, melee dps, ranged). Basically progression on a raid boss but without the stress of having to organize your schedule and guild drama and stuff. Could also do challenging 4 man content.
    No thanks to the single player challenges. I do not play an MMO for that. It is my experience that this type of content is very class dependent. Especially if they make you go in with some sort of AI companion. I still have grey hairs from WoW's implementation. ^^

Challenging 4man content that can be done on a casual schedule with friends?
    Yes please but no race against the clock.