Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    when a company makes an official statement, i expect them to use the official definition of fall aka it ends on dec 21st.
    in everyday speech, the definition isn't that strict.

this is elementary school stuff.

personally i think they should just shift it from dec 21st to jan 1st for convenience. kinda like daylight savings, the original reasons for it are outdated now.
    Last edited by Hellobolis; 2020-07-16 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IIBloodXLustII View Post
    Why are you being purposely ignorant?

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/news/meteo...omical-seasons

Both are correct.

By Meteorological reckoning winter starts on December 1st. By Astronomical reckoning it starts on winter solstice.
    Well, from that link (emphasis mine)...

You may have noticed that meteorologists and climatologists define seasons differently from “regular” or astronomical spring, summer, fall, and winter. So, why do meteorological and astronomical seasons begin and end at different times? In short, it’s because the astronomical seasons are based on the position of Earth in relation to the sun, whereas the meteorological seasons are based on the annual temperature cycle.
    I would say that including December in the release window is reasonable given Catalcysm's release date and astronomical definitions. They could release it in September, October, or November, though given that it just went into beta, I think September is incredibly optimistic. Personally I expect it to be mid-November to mid-December, which covers the WotLK, Cata, and WoD release windows (TBC was in January, with MoP in September and the rest in August).

ITT: People that don't realize that game developers tend to be literal when specifying release windows. Yes, regular people usually think of seasons in a less-than-literal way... but Blizzard developers speaking officially are not regular people -- they're a corporate entity. This sub knows what developers mean when they talk about Q1, Q2, Q3, and Q4, and you better believe that they know what they mean when they specify a seasonal release date.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BetrayedOf52 View Post
    Most people don't know that, most people are ignorant, most companies don't say things that most people wouldn't know. Just because you know a fun fact that Dec 21st is technically the end of Fall does not mean the whole world does. Most people are in 6 feet of snow by then. 4 days before Christmas... I doubt they meant it is all im saying.
    How do you know what most people know or don’t know? Did you take a poll? Get out the old ouija board?

I know to some people I know it feels like winter after Thanksgiving (I live in Las Vegas, so the seasons are...odd), but I would assume most people know winter starts in December. Like we learned pretty early in life.
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

And it's incredibly bad optics to say "releasing Fall" and then stretching it to the very end of Fall in a month that they know many people do not consider when they say Fall. There is zero point to being tricksy about the release date other than creating bad press from the fanbase during a period where they are trying (somewhat) to kiss more ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Santandame View Post
    Aye, I'm sure all those investors are budding astronomers.
    I didn't know you had to be an astronomer to not be an idiot. When a massive corporate entity says 'fall', they know exactly what they're saying, and the investors do too. Or do you think Blizzard wants to confuse their own investors?

Mind you, we're talking about actual investors here, not amateurs.

This is a good example of how education is a constant process. If you don't tell people where the 4 seasons start and end constantly, they start deciding for themselves, yelling at each other for having the "wrong" definitions, and pretty soon the term "winter" is meaningless.

Yet to see anyone refute my points on the first page. Its almost as if some of you folk stick your fingers in your ears and pretend you can't hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellows View Post
    I think if Shadowlands ships anywhere between September 1 - December 21, then they've technically honored their statement since that would cover all time for either way of defining 'Fall'. Personally, I've always thought of fall in line with the Solstice, but maybe I'm not the common case. That's what I was taught growing up, but that was in the early 80s.

I hope they release early November or right after Thanksgiving in the US, so that there is less interference with holidays.
    Agreed.

When I was younger I was taught the same Seasons came with the Solstice.

There is really NO reason to trust anything Blizzard says, they lost the benefit of the doubt a long time ago. So yeah, I can understand and at this point respect any given negativity players attribute to Blizzard and their tactless deception.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most people don't know that, most people are ignorant, most companies don't say things that most people wouldn't know. Just because you know a fun fact that Dec 21st is technically the end of Fall does not mean the whole world does. Most people are in 6 feet of snow by then. 4 days before Christmas... I doubt they meant it is all im saying.
    I would say because that is what is firmly defined as fall. If you don't use that then it is "whatever Fall feels like to you". Suddenly everyone has a very different definition of fall.

For example...I live in Florida...do you really think my definition of fall includes Sept. and Oct.? It is still hot as balls for those months. If I'm being completely honest, where I live we have about 3 months of Spring (Feb, Mar, April), 6 months of summer(May-Oct), 2 months of fall (Nov & Dec), 1 month of winter(January, Maybe - I ran the Walt Disney World Marathon this year and the high was 85 and humid, hell they had to cut the course short because people were getting heat exhaustion/stroke). Doesn't really describe where most people live.
    Last edited by Aeriedk; 2020-07-16 at 05:59 PM.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Signature by Winter Blossom-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Blizzard once said the EU beta for vanilla WoW would release in September. You know when it released? On September 30th, at 11:56 p.m.

So yes, it has happened before, can happen again.

Oh, and most of December IS fall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Baine is like the most unlikeable character you are supposed to like.

Yet to see anyone refute my points on the first page. Its almost as if some of you folk stick your fingers in your ears and pretend you can't hear.
    Maybe a direct response to your wall of text wasn't worth anything outside of the original conversation taking place? Why are you seeking attention in a thread you didn't create? Why are you getting annoyed that someone hasn't responded to your specific text?

SL will release when it releases. If it releases before Dec21, then Blizzard had their bases covered and that's that. That's really all there is to it.

Summer starts with summer solstice, winter starts with winter solstice, has always been that way.

or is it just a case of over predict and hope for sooner?
    I'm hoping for as late of a launch as possible lol November 1st is the earliest I'd want it.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

SL will come out in Nov i have my sources, i have been told to take of work for the 4 or 11 of Nov (if everythig goes acording to plan) bookmark this on your calender so no need to discus american wintertime
    I.O BFA Season 3

Quote Originally Posted by Sangris View Post
    Blizzard once said the EU beta for vanilla WoW would release in September. You know when it released? On September 30th, at 11:56 p.m.

So yes, it has happened before, can happen again.

Oh, and most of December IS fall.
    Blizzard also misses deadlines. They missed the Warcraft 3 reforged release date by a month. Considering the covid stuff is screwing with all schedules, it should not surprise anyone if something came up and pushed the SL release date out of the winter window entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by angrys13 View Post
    Maybe a direct response to your wall of text wasn't worth anything outside of the original conversation taking place? Why are you seeking attention in a thread you didn't create? Why are you getting annoyed that someone hasn't responded to your specific text?

SL will release when it releases. If it releases before Dec21, then Blizzard had their bases covered and that's that. That's really all there is to it.
    Sounds to me like you don't have an argument so you're resorting to assumptions about my current emotions and psyche.

My own theory though is that this is a message board.

This forum, and only this forum and only ever during pre expansion launch months, has been the only place, and the only people I have ever debate meteorological(traditional) seasons vs. astronomical seasons. I can swear to you, I have never seen this debate anywhere else before. I certainly have never seen anyone refer to seasons in the astronomical sense.
    Makes sense, I'd agree with you since I don't walk around talking about the fucking seasons nor do I visit any forums that would have a reason to talk about the seasons except ... this one because one of the company heads mentioned it.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

So Shadowlands will release on November 3rd, November 10th if they need an extra week to finish something up. This falls in the fall guidelands Ion stated.