Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonbrown View Post
    She agreed to the terms of her probation. If completing her schoolwork was one of the terms of the probation and she didn't complete it, it's a violation. Maybe if she didn't commit an assault and theft in the first place she wouldn't be in this mess?

Oh and by the way, every parent claims their kid has ADHD today, it's a big scam.
    Back it up or shut up.
    One of the two, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Judges here are elected.
    Well, yeah? My point was exactly that, don't put them in charge.
    In this case the judge is described as compassionate with a long enough carreer, so who knows, maybe her brain turned off that day ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

So a violent criminal got sent to a detention center over failing to comply with thier probation. I really don't see what the problem is here. Maybe the little thug shouldn't commit violent crimes if they don't like being locked up.

The detention of a child after one incidence of low level offending is absolutely abhorrent to the Best Interest model that is advanced by the universally ratified International Convention on the Rights of the Child.

What's that?
    OH SHI-
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

Do your homework or you'll be sent to the brig!

She agreed to the terms of her probation. If completing her schoolwork was one of the terms of the probation and she didn't complete it, it's a violation. Maybe if she didn't commit an assault and theft in the first place she wouldn't be in this mess?

Oh and by the way, every parent claims their kid has ADHD today, it's a big scam.
    She had accommodations and had a near perfect record before from home and I can easily write you off since you say ADHD is a scam. Like covid is a hoax?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    OT but I can't stand journalism that has to emphasize that the student was "Black" as though that has any relevance to the article...
    Probably because black and latinos get disproportionate treatment for the same crimes compared to whites? why do you want to pretend race doesn't matter? Is race mattering inconvenient to you? too fucking bad, it's actually inconvenient for the people who have to live it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Break The Ice View Post
    So a violent criminal got sent to a detention center over failing to comply with thier probation. I really don't see what the problem is here. Maybe the little thug shouldn't commit violent crimes if they don't like being locked up.
    she stole a cell phone and was on probation with a perfect attendance record and was on the right track, until covid, and lack of accommodations. In fact teachers across the nation have noted this epidemic is the worst for children who need special attention.

she also has emotional issues like... the fuck is with you people?

She made a mistake, was then trying to work hard to be good... she was stressed about waking up late for fuck sakes, which means she was actively trying to do better in school but you see there is this thing called ADHD. Also how the fuck did she not comply with her probation when her work should have been submitted late when she was able to, yet they didn't check with the school before making up their own judgement about whether her work was being done.

Why is she a thug? Because she's black? I've seen plenty of your other posts...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    IMO school should be voluntary and we shouldn't punish young people for not doing their homework. We should only motivate them through positive 'rewards'. The goal should be to get them to enjoy learning and homework which you can't do that by constantly threatening them for non-compliance.
    Woah, where's my calendar? I agree with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    School to be voluntary? I can't agree with that.

I can't help but feel that he thinks they should be voluntary, because they are liberal indoctrination centers, or something equally crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

7+ Year Old Account
    Oh nice, almost everybody believes that you need the threat of punishment in order to educate young people. I'm not sure if you have children or not but if you are interested you can read about a non-coercive educational movement called Taking Children Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post

I can't help but feel that he thinks they should be voluntary, because they are liberal indoctrination centers, or something equally crazy.
    No and I'd argue that my position is more "liberal" than the alternatives. You can read about some of the bullet points below if you want;

http://fallibleideas.com/taking-children-seriously

7+ Year Old Account
    There is a time honored technique for dealing with ADHD that goes back to the beginning of human civilization that requires no medication and is quite effective.

Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    There is a time honored technique for dealing with ADHD that goes back to the beginning of human civilization that requires no medication and is quite effective.

[video=youtube;bqR_PwcyyWo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqR_PwcyyWo[/vieo]
    You know what I find most amazing about people who deny ADHD existance.

There are known physical differences in the brains there is a known, observable problem in how the brain handles stimulants. Cocaine and Meth, essentially methylphenidate and amphetamine, behave very differently in the brains of people who have ADHD yet... people who deny that ADHD is a thing somehow ignore this.

Hitting a kid and demanding they focus when their brain literally can't doesn't magically work. It can instead make the child not talk, or not act out as much, and instead try to stifle their outward behaviour, and instead you end up with tremendous internal conflict and stress due to fear of then being punished because they can't focus.

Literally a person with ADHD can begin to do something, and then immediately forget they were doing something as things often fail to make it into memory, which is another common problem.
    Last edited by Themius; 2020-07-18 at 12:30 AM.

15+ Year Old Account

Wanna link to actual peer-reviewed sources on that?
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    Wanna link to actual peer-reviewed sources on that?
    ADHD is a myth to him, that's why ADHD brains have differences that are observed when it comes to stimulants.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post

Well, yes and no. It probably can't ever be entirely voluntary because for that to work you'd have to have no shitty parents that treat their children like garbage. However, the goal should be to get children to enjoy learning and homework.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Lots of sympathy here for a brute and a thief that all that was expected of her was doing homework.

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Lots of sympathy here for a brute and a thief that all that was expected of her was doing homework.
    It's weird how when people are black suddenly they're brutes and thugs. Why isn't a white teen who stole a phone the same? Why do people ignore she had accommodations before the lockdown and had near perfect attendance and was stressed about not performing well? A person who doesn't care about school at all wouldn't fret over it.

10+ Year Old Account
    IMO school should be voluntary and we shouldn't punish young people for not doing their homework. We should only motivate them through positive 'rewards'. The goal should be to get them to enjoy learning and homework which you can't do that by constantly threatening them for non-compliance.
    No... I even support corporal punishment in schools. Children are not capable of making choices between going to school or playing video games.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    No... I even support corporal punishment in schools. Children are not capable of making choices between going to school or playing video games.
    Corporal punishment proven to literally be a detriment to children. Why does no one listen to psychologist when it comes to things like this? We also know about the issues of stress hormones stunting brain growth because of stress, and the fact it makes children more likely to attack their own issues... literals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, yes and no. It probably can't ever be entirely voluntary because for that to work you'd have to have no shitty parents that treat their children like garbage. However, the goal should be to get children to enjoy learning and homework.
    That’s not the point of schools and making schools fun, is false advertising... you are in school to learn, not have fun. The goal should be to learn... enjoying it is irrelevant. Not everyone is meant to be highly educated or be in a field that requires it, but everyone should have the tools to better them selfs... until the point the can make a rational decision that further education is not for them. That way, they end up with fundamentals to succeed, in spite of their choices.

I’m sorry, each kid is different and presenting education in a way that is palatable by all, is already difficult enough, without also trying to appeal to the fun if it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Corporal punishment proven to literally be a detriment to children. Why does no one listen to psychologist when it comes to things like this? We also know about the issues of stress hormones stunting brain growth because of stress, and the fact it makes children more likely to attack their own issues... literals.
    Because of the way it’s applied... also, dealing with stressful situations, is part of the lesson that should be learned in school. You think kids should grow up and realize the sword of Damocles hanging over their heads, that us employment, without any preparation?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

That is just utterly insane. I am a teacher, if someone isn't doing their homework...from my point of view, I pass it on up the chain of command purely from a "watch your own back" perspective, so if they start failing it gives them less of a leg to stand on if they try to blame me. If they have additional support needs, they need to be given leeway. Heck, when lockdown started, I set assignments, but most didn't complete them, and to be honest I didn't blame them, there were bigger concerns, just trying to make sense of what the fuck is going on right now and making it through to the other side- far more important than homework. I couldn't imagine a fucking judge making it their business. I've seen stuff before on how the courts in the US treat juvenile "offenders" and I just can't get my head around it. It seems that the point of the justice system there is just to put as many people away.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Because it's indicative of how our justice system is broken and fails people, including children, of color. Black student doesn't do her homework while on probation? JAIL

White kid gets drunk under-age and kills someone? Probation only - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethan_Couch

White college student rapes a drunk girl? 6 months in jail only because he's such a good boi - https://www.cnn.com/2016/06/06/us/se...ord/index.html
    I don't know how much of this is to do with being white, and how much of it is to do with being from a higher socioeconomic background (I think it can be both, the ratio though I couldn't say). Not suggesting there aren't discrepancies in sentencing along racial lines (to the best of my knowledge there clearly are), I am suggesting there might be some significant but not total overlap between race and class, but I'd be curious to see how lenient they are with poor whites committing comparable crimes. My guess is they don't get off as lightly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

Saying muricans never cease to surprise me would be a lie because none of this is surprising coming from murica.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988