View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    So the party that want to take back control from the UK for an independent Scotland and then give it all away to un-elected bureaucrats in Brussels had their chance today to extend the transition beyond December. They lost.
    Man your grasp of things is....as if the dynamic between Scotland and the UK is the same as the one between Scotland and the EU. Gluing the nation together, strong and stable government, this cannot be a serious post.

Am I seriously going to get infracted for questioning the sincerity of this? I didn't use the word that best describes his behaviour, does it matter that I didn't use it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    I'm actually kinda surprised he hasn't put up an election so he can get out of the office "legitimately" before any serious damage arrives so he can blame the next PM
    I don't think Boris cares about being the sacrificial lamb. And if he benefits well from it I don't blame him.

Brexiteers tried it with May as the scapegoat but there wasn't the parliamentary majority to stop sensible people from interfering to stop the planned clusterfuck of a hard brexit.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    The tories have an 80 seats something majority in the house of commons, they'd be out of their minds to call an election prematurely here.
    They're also out of their minds to not get an extension on the negotiations, so..

Furthermore, the UK has a political system where they don't need a general election to replace Boris within the current term as Prime Minister, if they're so inclined. The conservative party could vote on a new party leader amongst themselves, and then make that person prime minister without consulting the rest of the electorate. This is how Boris were put in charge in the period in between Theresa May stepping down and the election last year.
    Ah okay, did not know that.. But still, I doubt he wants to be the one in charge when shit hits the fan, because then he'll get all the blame. If he can get someone else to take over the ship before that happens, they get all the blame and he can be like "Well, wasn't my fault!" even when it is.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    Man your grasp of things is....as if the dynamic between Scotland and the UK is the same as the one between Scotland and the EU. Gluing the nation together, strong and stable government, this cannot be a serious post.

Am I seriously going to get infracted for questioning the sincerity of this? I didn't use the word that best describes his behaviour, does it matter that I didn't use it?
    The dynamic between the SNP and the UK is exactly the same as the one between the UK and the EU though. Big difference is, as someone rightly pointed out in parliament yesterday, more people in the UK voted for Brexit than will ever vote for the SNP. Such is the beauty of democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    They're also out of their minds to not get an extension on the negotiations, so..

Ah okay, did not know that.. But still, I doubt he wants to be the one in charge when shit hits the fan, because then he'll get all the blame. If he can get someone else to take over the ship before that happens, they get all the blame and he can be like "Well, wasn't my fault!" even when it is.
    Boris has an overwhelming majority in parliament, he is going nowhere and there will be no extension. Honestly why do people think otherwise? Over and over and over again the British democractic process confirms huge support for Brexit. And everyone here keeps blathering on about the shit hitting the fan well what if it doesn't? What if Brexit is the huge success that the majority in the UK believe it will be and other EU members join us in seeking their freedom and sovereignty? I hope all on here are as quick to apologise for their wrongs...
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

15+ Year Old Account
    Boris has an overwhelming majority in parliament, he is going nowhere and there will be no extension. Honestly why do people think otherwise? Over and over and over again the British democractic process confirms huge support for Brexit. And everyone here keeps blathering on about the shit hitting the fan well what if it doesn't? What if Brexit is the huge success that the majority in the UK believe it will be and other EU members join us in seeking their freedom and sovereignty? I hope all on here are as quick to apologise for their wrongs...
    What if it isn't?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every professional before Brexit said it would be a catastrophe.
    The British pound has nose dived since Brexit.
    You're basically locking yourself out of trading with all your closest neighbours, or at least worsening your relations with them.

There has also only been 1 vote on Brexit. The elections since then have also been about other things than Brexit, it's laughable that you're pretending every single voter is a single-issue voter and all of them had Brexit as their one issue.

And as for more EU members leaving? https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/...spite-sceptics
    Seems unlikely

The dynamic between the SNP and the UK is exactly the same as the one between the UK and the EU though. Big difference is, as someone rightly pointed out in parliament yesterday, more people in the UK voted for Brexit than will ever vote for the SNP. Such is the beauty of democracy.
    This is simply not true. I cannot tell if you are doing this on purpose or if you actually think like this. Your last point is redundant, you make the case of Scottish independence better than any SNP campaigner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    This is simply not true. I cannot tell if you are doing this on purpose or if you actually think like this. Your last point is redundant, you make the case of Scottish independence better than any SNP campaigner.
    Or he at least makes the point that they should be allowed to vote for it, since.. Well, that's just democracy after all.

more people in the UK voted for Brexit than will ever vote for the SNP. Such is the beauty of democracy.
    OMFG... I can't quite make it to bed without another load of shit confronting and waylaying me.

https://www.drg.global/wp-content/up...ion-060720.pdf

Yes (Scotland should be an independent country) 50% - No 43%

The 7% undecided are probably wasted on Irn Bru and therefore their views are unimportant. If push came to shove they'd probably vote for independence because William Wallis / Mel Gibson.

Off they go, with their whisky, making a sozzled EU 28.

The break up of the Union is as inevitable as night follows day - own it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    OMFG... I can't quite make it to bed without another load of shit confronting and waylaying me.

https://www.drg.global/wp-content/up...ion-060720.pdf

Yes (Scotland should be an independent country) 50% - No 43%

The 7% undecided are probably wasted on Irn Bru and therefore their views are unimportant. If push came to shove they'd probably vote for independence because William Wallis / Mel Gibson.

Off they go, with their whisky, making a sozzled EU 28.

The break up of the Union is as inevitable as night follows day - own it.
    Dear dear Nigel that's a wall of numbers there in that link muddying the waters as usual, let's keep things simple.

In 2016 at the brexit referendum 1,435,165 Scots voted to leave the EU. (0.38 x 3,776,751) source
    In 2019 at the General Election 1,242,380 Scots voted to leave the UK. (by voting SNP) source

As you can see leaving the EU in Scotland is far more popular than leaving the UK.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

10+ Year Old Account
    Dear dear Nigel that's a wall of numbers there in that link muddying the waters as usual, let's keep things simple.

In 2016 at the brexit referendum 1,435,165 Scots voted to leave the EU. (0.38 x 3,776,751) source
    In 2019 at the General Election 1,242,380 Scots voted to leave the UK. (by voting SNP) source

As you can see leaving the EU in Scotland is far more popular than leaving the UK.
    Or maybe people in the general election care about more than just 1 thing? Holy shit, what a ground breaking discovery!

People are not 1-issue voters. You might be, but not everyone is.

And if we go by your logic, in the last general election the UK public rejected Boris Brexit

Pro Brexit (Conservatives, Brexit party, UKIP, DUP): 14,877,656
    Rejecting Boris and his brexit view by pushing for a second vote/remain entirely (AKA every other major party): 16,631,419

NEarly 2 million more people decided to tell Boris to go take his brexit and shove it where the sun doesn't shine

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...n-tells-huawei

There you are dribbles. That's what "taking back control" looks like. The US telling us what we are and aren't allowed to do. Get used to it, because you're going to be seeing a LOT more of it as a lone nation, rather than part of a bloc powerful enough to tell the US to fuck off.

I can barely wait to see how one-sided any trade deal with the US ends up being. If the average Brexit supporter wasn't so terminally averse to facts, it might actually make some of them realise they done fucked up.

Remember; plenty of us saw this coming. You can't claim you weren't warned.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Remember; plenty of us saw this coming. You can't claim you weren't warned.
    I'm sure better examples will come but... isn't kicking Huawei out of our 5G network generally considered a sensible move anyway, regardless of geopolitical pressure?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I'm sure better examples will come but... isn't kicking Huawei out of our 5G network generally considered a sensible move anyway, regardless of geopolitical pressure?
    How about Cornwall begging Johnson to cover the 700 million quid that they will no longer be getting from the EU: https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/co...rovide-4332686

Cornwall overwhelmingly voted to leave after a colossal Leave campaign there.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler to Baby Sloths View Post
    How about Cornwall begging Johnson to cover the 700 million quid that they will no longer be getting from the EU: https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/co...rovide-4332686

There we go

Although my post was more about whether they felt getting rid of Huawei was sensible or not, rather than the "I'm sure better examples will follow" because that was a given
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

OT: I think it is probably sensible to keep Huawei out of the national internet infrastructure. However, given their past relationship with the CIA and NSA, I'd say the same about Cisco.

I think Nokia is the only player yet to be involved (voluntarily or not) in supra-national spy agency bullshittery.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler to Baby Sloths View Post

Even better is that they it want free to do whatever they want with however they please and no oversight from elsewhere. So even if they get the money it's going be one corrupt cesspool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Yes it is. Huawei is in the pocket of the Chinese state, they're not a reliable actor for critical infrastructure. There's no good reason besides being cheapskates not to go with European telecoms like Nokia and Ericsson on this.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Yes it is. Huawei is in the pocket of the Chinese state, they're not a reliable actor for critical infrastructure. There's no good reason besides being cheapskates not to go with European telecoms like Nokia and Ericsson on this.
    I'd actually agree with you on that. But you're talking about a British government that couldn't do that, because their whole basis is that we don't need Europe. So they went with China instead, in an attempt to stay on the good side of one of the great world powers that they will have to bend to. And in doing so got on the wrong side of the US, and were forced to change their stance to keep them happy.

Taking back control certainly looks a lot like being a tiny fish desperately trying to bribe the sharks not to eat them, doesn't it?
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.