Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I'll go out on a limb (admittedly, a pretty safe one) and say that yes, Arthas NEEDS to be in Shadowlands. Blizzard is aware that he is, without exception, the most well-known character in the franchise. They are also keenly aware that information gets around very quickly when it comes to datamining the Beta, and so I think Blizzard is simply avoiding Arthas initially, to have a greater build-up to his eventual reveal.

I would expect to see him hinted at in whatever the Tier 2 raid is for Shadowlands, and his actual return confirmed in Tier 3 (or even Tier 4, if they stretch Shadowlands out that long). Whatever the final patch for Shadowlands is, that's when we'll ACTUALLY see Arthas, I think. Would be nice to also see Ner'zhul, though!

Arthas was a good man before maximally extreme circumstances soured him + Frostmourne fucking him up. Ending up to the Maw to suffer eternally doesn't feel right, so I'd be happy to see something happen with him in Shadowlands. Not that he'd become a character of consequence again, but that we'd see his lot in the afterlife rather than lean on some vague description from an old short story.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    I'll go out on a limb (admittedly, a pretty safe one) and say that yes, Arthas NEEDS to be in Shadowlands.
    If an expansion NEEDS a long standing lore character to have any chance of success then we may as well accept this franchise is doomed to stagnation.

Of course he's going to, they aren't going to just tell us in neon letters. Probably some other surprises in the Maw, frankly. Remember that a core gameplay mechanic is for us to save souls that were meant to be in the other Covenants.

That being said, regarding what some suggested - having Arthas gain a redemptive moment in which he jails Sylvanas, a character who grew to be evil in part because of the abuse and total loss of autonomy she suffered at his hands (Frostmourne influenced or not), would be all kinds of loaded. Woof.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakir View Post
    Of course he's going to, they aren't going to just tell us in neon letters. Probably some other surprises in the Maw, frankly. Remember that a core gameplay mechanic is for us to save souls that were meant to be in the other Covenants.

That being said, regarding what some suggested - having Arthas gain a redemptive moment in which he jails Sylvanas, a character who grew to be evil in part because of the abuse and total loss of autonomy she suffered at his hands (Frostmourne influenced or not), would be all kinds of loaded. Woof.
    TBh, Arthas is one of the people who deserve to actually be in the Maw and suffer for eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post
    Arthas was a good man before maximally extreme circumstances soured him + Frostmourne fucking him up. Ending up to the Maw to suffer eternally doesn't feel right, so I'd be happy to see something happen with him in Shadowlands. Not that he'd become a character of consequence again, but that we'd see his lot in the afterlife rather than lean on some vague description from an old short story.
    Did you not play in WotLK nor ever run Culling of Stratholme? He butchered his hometown, innocents included, in an attempt to stop the scourge plague from Malganis.
    His downward spiral into villainy existed before he was completely twisted by Frostmourne. He even left Magni to die while claiming it. Things like this are some of the reasons I stated he doesn’t need or even deserve a redemption arc, or even to be brought up at all. His story ended and it ended where it should have.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just keep an eye out for the name Justin Gross.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Destiny Man View Post
    Frostmourne and Helm of Domination had as much to do with Ner'zul and Kil'Jaeden (who essentially made the LK) as it did with Arthas (in fact I'd argue Ner'zhul is the most integral part of that considering he WAS the original Lich King). The story can very much be told without directly using Arthas; if he can be woven in properly without it feeling jarring then by all means do it. The thought of Arthas being hamfisted into the story for fan service points leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    Correct, KJ and Ner'Zhul have more to do with the creation of the Lich King. But when you hear "THE LICH KING" which face pops up before your eyes? Of course it's Arthas! Just like you said: "would be cool".

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrim View Post
    Correct, KJ and Ner'Zhul have more to do with the creation of the Lich King. But when you hear "THE LICH KING" which face pops up before your eyes? Of course it's Arthas! Just like you said: "would be cool".
    I mean, I'm old school so I immediately think Ner'zhul if someone says Lich King.

Pretty sure in the interviews they said they wanted to explore the origins of the Helm of Domination/Frostmounrne so that's a fairly different branch to be honest (and something that ties in a bit more with the other two names). If they've got an angle that fits in well with Arthas then I'm all for it.

i'm going with he will show up in 9.2, not 9.3.

I hope if he does appear its short and meaningful. I dont want to see it being the end point of the expansion or even a patch (/ main story arc). If its big enough that it is an endpoint to either this is just another legion. I dont wanna see Arthas as the "goal" or what SL will build up to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaggler View Post
    TBh, Arthas is one of the people who deserve to actually be in the Maw and suffer for eternity.
    I don't disagree. When I mentioned saving souls, I more meant in reference to some other surprise appearances. An Arthas redemption arc is a no-no. Overemphasis on Arthas is as well - reminds me of how Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker was put on too much of a thematic pedestal in the Prequels simply because he's a pop cultural icon to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Did you not play in WotLK nor ever run Culling of Stratholme? He butchered his hometown, innocents included, in an attempt to stop the scourge plague from Malganis.
    His downward spiral into villainy existed before he was completely twisted by Frostmourne. He even left Magni to die while claiming it. Things like this are some of the reasons I stated he doesn’t need or even deserve a redemption arc, or even to be brought up at all. His story ended and it ended where it should have.
    I played WC3, went through Wrath's content and read the book. Like I said, Arthas was soured by maximally extreme circumstances, which comes off best in the novel, as it gets into his perspective closer than the games and is more descriptive of the situations. I don't feel like judging him because I haven't been tested like he had. Compare to apocalypse shows like The Walking Dead and you will find normal people going rotten just like Arthas did. We have Revendreth for such people, salvaging what they used to be.

I look at it this way.

Maldraxxus is an entire zone with Not-Scourge aesthetic and themes.

The Maw is an entire zone with Not-Icecrown aesthetics.

Sylvanas is a main player. The Bolvar attends the party. Kel'thuzad is in. Alexandros Mograine is in.

We meet the guy who made Frostmourne and the Helm of Domination, the latter of which seems to be a bit of a Macguffin.

Basically, the expansion is drowning in callbacks to the entire Scourge storyline. I really doubt they'll do all this but then refrain from having Arthas come back to hype a patch or something. The hints are even heavier than the ones for N'zoth in early BFA.

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrim View Post
    I mean, I know we will somehow get a glimpse or echo of him, but has it officially been confirmed he will not get a role in Shadowlands?
    You do realise Arthas is the final boss of Shadowlands, right? That's gotta be the worst kept secret of WoW today.

I reckon Arthas will be what Illidan was in Legion.

I would take Paladin Arthas in shadowlands, sure.
    Lich King Arthas though? not so much.

Blizzard: "Looks at Illidan in a crystal."

Kotick: Break it, he will save WoW.

Legion is a hit and then BfA happens.

Blizzard what the fuck do we do now!!!

Kotick, Don't say shit about Arthas officially. Make Sylvanas the villain alongside a new character who will be in the Shadowlands.

Blizzard: What about "him".

Kotick: we wait until the final patch.

Blizzard: Ahhhhhh.

Kotick: I'm a fucking genius (and I'll be pocketing all the revenue while the devs will continue to stave).

Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post
    I played WC3, went through Wrath's content and read the book. Like I said, Arthas was soured by maximally extreme circumstances, which comes off best in the novel, as it gets into his perspective closer than the games and is more descriptive of the situations. I don't feel like judging him because I haven't been tested like he had. Compare to apocalypse shows like The Walking Dead and you will find normal people going rotten just like Arthas did. We have Revendreth for such people, salvaging what they used to be.
    He did go through some very extreme circumstances, but Jaina was by his side during the entire plague investigation up until the purging of Stratholme, and she still retained perspective and rationale throughout the entire Scourge war, even overcoming prejudice to assist the Horde. Arthas was offered other routes, rejected those, and focused solely on vengeance. Uther warned him about that back when dealing with the Blackrock orcs, so that darkness existed before then; the Lich King merely drew it forth.

Arthas' story is tragic, but I would not go so far as to say he was a good person. Just a person who succumbed to his inner darkness to horrible events.

Quote Originally Posted by Aresk View Post
    He did go through some very extreme circumstances, but Jaina was by his side during the entire plague investigation up until the purging of Stratholme, and she still retained perspective and rationale throughout the entire Scourge war, even overcoming prejudice to assist the Horde. Arthas was offered other routes, rejected those, and focused solely on vengeance. Uther warned him about that back when dealing with the Blackrock orcs, so that darkness existed before then; the Lich King merely drew it forth.

Arthas' story is tragic, but I would not go so far as to say he was a good person. Just a person who succumbed to his inner darkness to horrible events.
    The book goes on for quite a bit looking at Arthas's childhood and pre-plague adulthood and nothing in it suggests he's bad to the core, so I'd add his later darkness to mortal flaws. Sure a flaw like that isn't ideal for a monarch, but it's not like it's a conscious choice. The novel underlines how Arthas felt heavy responsibility for his people as their future monarch, so the events unfolding around him affected him more than Jaina and Uther. Hearthglen was the breaking point, the moment the seemingly fine defenders of the city instantly turned around him, while Jaina was away getting reinforcements. That's why Arthas chose the purging method with Stratholme, as he had just witnessed consuming the infected grain was a one-way ticket to turning and there would be no indication of it until it happened (Stratholme overall is a very disputed matter as these forums have testified over the years).

It could be argued that had Arthas been able to defeat Mal'ganis without Frostmourne he'd have snapped back to his old self. This is supported by a couple of things: He seems to regain his old self in the brief moment before dying at the Frozen Throne and one of the books present an alternate reality where Arthas didn't go bad. His fall from grace was by design, courtesy of the Lich King, otherwise he was a good man with flaws. That's why I'd put him to Revendreth, especially since they saw fit to grant it to Kael, who lucidly betrayed his people to the Legion.

I would not include Arthas in Shadowlands to become a staple character in the game again or even to get a redemption arc per se, but to tangibly see what's up with him and cut him some slack. And, of course, to serve whatever role he'd have concerning Sylvanas. If he's back to his old self he'd regret his deeds and exist in the afterlife making up for it as he can.