View Poll Results: Will you remain in classic when TBC comes out?

Voters
429. This poll is closed
  • Yes

70 16.32%
  • No

312 72.73%
  • I don't know

47 10.96%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    no way this is happening,classic will remain as is,it would defeat the purpose completly of them even doing it in the first place if tbc took classic's place,maybe they will open fresh servers in the future to spice things up

as for me,i played classic until i hit 60 did mc and quit,it simply wasnt enough to keep my atention,tbc however is probably going to be much better with more spec variety,a better pvp system,and harder raids(its no retail but its still leagues above classic)
    So what are Classic players going to do when 99% of the player-base leave for Classic TBC servers?

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    TBC will be a fun expansion to experience again. Depending on how Blizzard will handle TBC servers, I will just leave my Classic characters and then maybe level a new TBC character or copy my Classic character (if they will allow it). If I have to start over than I'll be rolling a blood elf and start raiding asap. TBC raiding will be more fun than Classic solely because of no world buffs.

The one expansion I'm looking forward to the most is WotLK. There will be no reason left to play Classic or TBC once it comes out.
    I never rly understood how people can prefer wrath over tbc,wrath offers nothing extra and it actualy makes many aspects of the game worse,heroic dungeons are far easier,lfd,arenas became far to bursty,no attunements,easier overall raiding(besides a few hardmodes and pre buff icc bosses),catchup in wrath was INSANE,even compared with today it was worse,atleast tbc started the catchup at the very end

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pohut View Post
    So what are Classic players going to do when 99% of the player-base leave for Classic TBC servers?
    what in the world makes you think 99% will leave??if private servers are anything to go by,tbc wont even come close to classic's numbers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glycerethe View Post
    *This is not a shaming thread, if you are going to shit on people, please stop and go find something else to do.

Assuming you or your guild did not manage to clear Naxx by the time TBC servers are up, will you stay put on transferring til you've successfully cleared it? Or you just love classic so much you won't be transferring your characters and still play classic, or you just prefer to start fresh on TBC.

Just trying to gauge to see how many people will stay on classic by then.
    I'd check out BC for sure.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    I remember the people claiming it would have at least a decade lifespan, if not longer, as PS had proven there was enough content and demand to keep playing that long. Now the moment there is even a sniff of a possible escape from Classic, everyone is clamoring to gtfo of classic.

I guess the nostalgia wore off a lot quicker than expected, or, possibly, when you are actually paying for something, your expectations are higher when compared to an illegal, free game.
    the comparison with private servers isnt very good because private servers often either shut down and people moved,or the servers opened fresh servers,or they reset after some time,its basicaly the only reason diablo 3 is still alive,seasons

the comparison with private servers isnt very good because private servers often either shut down and people moved,or the servers opened fresh servers,or they reset after some time,its basicaly the only reason diablo 3 is still alive,seasons
    Wait what?

what in the world makes you think 99% will leave??if private servers are anything to go by,tbc wont even come close to classic's numbers
    How can contradict your own post on the same page? Do you even read what you post?

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    When TBC comes out, everyone will say, "oh, well, WotLK was when it was perfect."
    the sub stagnation kinda disproves that,peoples boner for arthas rly blinds them to the fact that it was in wrath where things started to change for the worst,extreme casualization of the game with faceroll dungeons,mostly faceroll raids and the biggest cathup ever...heck even today in retail they dont do things as bad as they did in wrath,now atleast the casual aspects of the game come as extra aditions and arent part of the actual endgame

- - - Updated - - -

Wait what?

How can contradict your own post on the same page? Do you even read what you post?
    i rly dont see what the contradiction is

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheUnrealDonald2 View Post
    So much hyperbole and false claims. Almost like you have.. An agenda.

There was no significant amount of people claiming any iteration of wow will last 12 years without a drop-off in players, no server resets, etc.

I'm also not seeing any significant amount of players shouting for BC to be released tomorrow. Most are still enjoying the game, and there's still a good amount of content to come.
    Eventually preferring to move on to Bc once all that content is done, is most certainly not "clamoring to gtfo out of classic".

Wow classic doubled the subscriber base.
    it got more media coverage than any modern addon by far.
    It cost blizzard a fraction of development costs they'd have to put in for a new addon.
    A year after release, the player base is still going strong. And by the time the main content is over, its lifetime will already be close to the entire life cycle of pretty much any expansion ever made.

Its not particularly hard to judge whether the classic proponents or opponents turned out to be right here. The mere fact we're not even debating that there will clearly be a follow up release (most likely in the form of bc classic) very much proves this.
    speaks about others agenda than says ''classic doubled the subs'' lol

I believe the contradiction lies in saying PS shouldnt be used as a comparison, and then using PS as a comparison. I could be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    I believe the contradiction lies in saying PS shouldnt be used as a comparison, and then using PS as a comparison. I could be wrong though.
    ah yeah,heh,i guess it can seem odd,but it was in regards to 2 different things,i said that specific comparison with private servers doesnt work to well wile a different one did,they arent mutualy exclusive,like saying person X was good for doing one thing but bad for doing another

Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    There are atleast 2 problems with that outcome.

1. Classic population will be really divided now = harder to find guild now on both games.

2. 'Infinite' gold problem:
    Imagine copying your characters from Classic to TBC and do this:
    - let's say your main on Classic has got 2k gold - copy it to TBC
    - your Classic main still has got 2k gold - send it to lvl 1 alt
    - copy your alt to TBC - you got 4k gold now
    - send your 2k on Classic to another new char
    - copy alt no2 to TBC - you got 6k gold now
    and go on...
    All of those are easily refutaeble and or easily solved, but besides this sentence I don't care to waste more time.

the sub stagnation kinda disproves that,peoples boner for arthas rly blinds them to the fact that it was in wrath where things started to change for the worst,extreme casualization of the game with faceroll dungeons,mostly faceroll raids and the biggest cathup ever...heck even today in retail they dont do things as bad as they did in wrath,now atleast the casual aspects of the game come as extra aditions and arent part of the actual endgame

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

speaks about others agenda than says ''classic doubled the subs'' lol
    As a person who much preferred TBC to WotLK it is really not fair to use the stagnation of numbers as a proof.

What you lack for that is the influx of new people to the game from that point on. It could very simply be that WoW had reached a critical mass point where the people who would have had interest in WoW had already been introduced to it and it could no longer introduce more people to the game than the general quits/month prior to this had been.

I've already quit classic. If TBC comes out I'll definitely try that. I'm hoping that a Wrath one will come out, as that is when I started.

dang those arenas...now i have to be skiled at the game to actualy get gear instead of afk in AV for a few weeks/months
    Except you really didn't have to be good to get arena gear during early TBC. I remember grinding out arenas in 2's for arena points to buy a couple weapons at the start of the expansion and then basically never touched them again until new patches when I wanted any potential upgrades. Even if you were total garbage, you could basically do the same thing...AFK them and get arena points with the weekly reset for free gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronovey View Post
    Except you really didn't have to be good to get arena gear during early TBC. I remember grinding out arenas in 2's for arena points to buy a couple weapons at the start of the expansion and then basically never touched them again until new patches when I wanted any potential upgrades. Even if you were total garbage, you could basically do the same thing...AFK them and get arena points with the weekly reset for free gear.
    yeah,im not saying it was perfect,the early ease and acces to pvp weps far easier than in pve was a problem but im simply comparing it with the classic system,i had to work my butt off to get the current seasons gear,it was hard in tbc because i wasnt so good,only in wrath did i finnaly start to be able to fully gear

1. Classic population will be really divided now = harder to find guild now on both games.

and go on...

Do you have any good way to avoid that?
    1. They definitely will/should have to merge/connect servers. Merging doesn't really work with everybody's names, so they'll have to connect -- like how most servers are on retail. It's absolutely 100% not vanilla-like, but it's the only/best solution to keep Classic alive and avoid all the "I lost my name" drama. There's already a handful of Classic servers that could use this.

2. The Classic to BC transfer should be a one way trip, not a character copy imo. Once you moved on to Outlands, you never got to keep a copy of your character at 60. You effectively started over at ground zero of the new expansion. This shouldn't be any different for the classic version of TBC.

I've heard the argument that this will split the player base, break up servers, etc. However, I don't really like that argument. It will split the player base even further with the one-way transfer, yes, but I don't think there's a large population of players who would be/are going to be actively playing both Classic and playing TBC. Meaning most players are going to be playing BC, and it wouldn't really matter if they have their classic character anymore.

To illustrate more what I mean, let's say you have a 60 Naxx geared main character. You've had Naxx on farm for 4-5 months now. TBC gets released. Are you really going to keep clearing Naxx/PvPing in Classic AND commit to a TBC raiding guild at the same time? I think most people will remain on Classic OR move to TBC. You have the option to either divulge in the urge to play TBC and commit yourself there, or you're satisfied with continuously clearing Classic content and want to preserve your characters here in Classic. I think it's a very small amount of people who will want to actively play both, keeping clearing Naxx/Classic content AND clear BC content, which is why a one-way transfer makes sense to me.

Plus, there will be a large amount of people in TBC who will reroll draenei/BE & shammy/pally who have to start at level 1. Plenty of people will be leveling up in the initial rush, making it inconsequential if it's a case of "I don't want to one way transfer my character from Classic, but I also don't want to be left behind if I start at level 1 in TBC". There will be plenty of people doing that anyway.
    Last edited by Smokeybones55; 2020-07-21 at 03:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nak88 View Post
    No thanks. I will leave Classic as soon as I kill Kel'Thuzad and I will never look back. I can't wait to play the much better, superior, polished and enhanced version of Classic which is TBC.
    Exactly the same, goodbye to only 12 out of 27 specs being optimal/viable/functional (even barely functional) and hello to TBC which for lack of better words was ‘complete’ in its development. Vanilla was fun, and still is, for what it is... but it’s pretty damn garbage when it comes to development of classes and balancing.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

no way this is happening,classic will remain as is,it would defeat the purpose completly of them even doing it in the first place if tbc took classic's place,maybe they will open fresh servers in the future to spice things up

as for me,i played classic until i hit 60 did mc and quit,it simply wasnt enough to keep my atention,tbc however is probably going to be much better with more spec variety,a better pvp system,and harder raids(its no retail but its still leagues above classic)
    We will see.
    Personally i think moving to TBC is just 'natural' thing that should happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    All of those are easily refutaeble and or easily solved, but besides this sentence I don't care to waste more time.
    I know it is easy to say that but i'd love to see how this can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeybones55 View Post
    1. They definitely will/should have to merge/connect servers. Merging doesn't really work with everybody's names, so they'll have to connect -- like how most servers are on retail. It's absolutely 100% not vanilla-like, but it's the only/best solution to keep Classic alive and avoid all the "I lost my name" drama. There's already a handful of Classic servers that could use this.
    Yeah, that is obvious solution but still i personally do not think that this will be enough especially knowing that Blizzard fucks up alot of things recently.

2. The Classic to BC transfer should be a one way trip, not a character copy imo. Once you moved on to Outlands, you never got to keep a copy of your character at 60. You effectively started over at ground zero of the new expansion. This shouldn't be any different for the classic version of TBC.
    I like the general idea...

I've heard the argument that this will split the player base, break up servers, etc. However, I don't really like that argument. It will split the player base even further with the one-way transfer, yes, but I don't think there's a large population of players who would be/are going to be actively playing both Classic and playing TBC. Meaning most players are going to be playing BC, and it wouldn't really matter if they have their classic character anymore.
    ... but there would be almost no point of playing Classic anymore for me since my main (and basically the only character that i care) is 'gone' transfered to TBC - that is the problem.

To illustrate more what I mean, let's say you have a 60 Naxx geared main character. You've had Naxx on farm for 4-5 months now. TBC gets released. Are you really going to keep clearing Naxx/PvPing in Classic AND commit to a TBC raiding guild at the same time? I think most people will remain on Classic OR move to TBC. You have the option to either divulge in the urge to play TBC and commit yourself there, or you're satisfied with continuously clearing Classic content and want to preserve your characters here in Classic. I think it's a very small amount of people who will want to actively play both, keeping clearing Naxx/Classic content AND clear BC content, which is why a one-way transfer makes sense to me.
    I've been talking with friends and guildies about it and 80-90% of them agree that TBC is natural way to moving further... which is great since we have to 'lost' some people if we want to transfer from 40man raids to 25.

Plus, there will be a large amount of people in TBC who will reroll draenei/BE & shammy/pally who have to start at level 1. Plenty of people will be leveling up in the initial rush, making it inconsequential if it's a case of "I don't want to one way transfer my character from Classic, but I also don't want to be left behind if I start at level 1 in TBC". There will be plenty of people doing that anyway.
    I am one of the people leveling horde paladin (after maxing my main) ofc.

Anyway - you presented some good thoughts and arguments in your post. It is really rare on this forum.
    Last edited by Mendzia; 2020-07-21 at 06:31 AM.

TBC was trash,classic was trash everything that matters is SHADOWLANDS baby!
    The Man in Black: “They come. They fight. They destroy. They corrupt. It always ends the same.”
    Jacob: “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

15+ Year Old Account
    Already left Classic. It's way too slow and way too unchallenging, therefore boring. BC will bump the difficulity level a little bit while making gameplay faster. Can't wait to play it again.

dang those arenas...now i have to be skiled at the game to actualy get gear instead of afk in AV for a few weeks/months
    In my experience, the primary factor in arenas is, and has always been, class composition over skill.
    But yea, there's still a component of skill left, and individual contribution is certainly more than in BGs.

However, it shifted away the focus of PVP from large(ish) group battles to fights on a tiny scale. Macro gameplay (strategy, team coordination) became micro gameplay (skill timing, small-scale positioining). Which is imho inherently less fun in any PVP oriented game. We're playing an MMO for a reason; if I wanted individual fights, I'd be playing a beat 'em up instead.

Toxicity levels also went through the rooftop. In most game activities - all of PVE, all other forms of PVP - you could lose without incurring any significant disadvantage, other than losing out on a bit of time. In arenas, obviously you lose ranking, so you're actively worse off after losing a game. A whole lot of people don't deal well with this. Arenas was the true precursor of the LoL community, if you ask me

To make things worse, it was also a huge catalyst for class homogenization, and removal of fun abilities (engineering, on-use items etc.) as Blizz now had to strive for micro balancing of classes and class compositions.

Yeah, but 80%. That's insanely high. Classic hasn't even been out for a year and people are already sick of it.
    They made a dumb mistake trying to follow the old release timeline.

We're clearing raids in 3 weeks at the most, while back in the day it was months or not at all.

You can't have a similar release timing between these 2 realitys. Really really silly.

Release to end of naxx should of been a year at the MOST.

- - - Updated - - -

and go on...

Do you have any good way to avoid that?

I'd love to see single post claiming it i will have 'at least decade lifespan'.
    I remember more people saying it is dead before realase too.

I always like when somebody uses 'everybody' as argument.

For many people probably yes.
    For me - not even close but your 'everybody' means i am probably wrong.

I also love seeing you in every single Classic thread bashing it to the ground with your anti-game agenda.
    They'll be able to cap the amount of gold you transfer, I'm not sure why you think they can't.