Poll: Do you feel monster races are more a guy thing?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I like humanoidal races which looks good(or have good racials).

About that "male players playing with female chars". I personally don't give a fuck what race/class you play as long as you do it good and it had no impact on guilds/my goals.
    But I think there's a thin line between "playing" and "acting".
    If you are playing as a female and acting normaly then it's fine, but if you are acting like a female, then seek help.

And the "I want to look on the female's ass rather than male" - if you're looking at your character's ass then you're just playing wrong game.

i prefer big ass titties

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Would I pick a monster race or a girl? Why not pick....the monster girl! ;D
    Female orcs FTW.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    Female orcs FTW.
    I'm not gonna lie. The body on the female orcs is rockin. Maybe just a hair too much on the muscular size of things as compared to a human woman, but hey...monster girl. They look REALLY good in plate, too.

But I think ultimately the orcs get trumped by Draenei women, as far as "monsters" in wow. Then again...they have that weird cult thing about the light....so maybe not...

I'm not gonna lie. The body on the female orcs is rockin. Maybe just a hair too much on the muscular size of things as compared to a human woman, but hey...monster girl. They look REALLY good in plate, too.

But I think ultimately the orcs get trumped by Draenei women, as far as "monsters" in wow. Then again...they have that weird cult thing about the light....so maybe not...
    Female Draenei work as a sort of Tiefling substitute, and I dig that, but some of the combat vocalisations bother me. (Not as much as Kul Tirans, both male and female. Awesome models, but the Bristolian accent...).

A more useful poll may have been one with options like "I am male and I play mostly <this type> of race" "I am female and I play mostly <this> type of race. Now we're only getting people's opinions.

I've led a roleplay guild for 10 years, so you'd think I'd have more insight. At least half my members are female. But it's really hard to tell.

Overall, I'd say there's definitely a gender difference, which is to be expected. Society brings men the strong muscular power fantasy, and is focused on female beauty and grace. Self-identification seems a bit more important to women that I know. Nearly all have a strong bias to playing female characters. More so then the men towards male characters. But the bias towards non-monster races seems less profound. There are definitely more male orcs than female orcs. And more female Blood Elves.

But at the same time, I often hear lamenting from female players that the female monster races are not monstrous enough. That the male orc is 4 times more muscular and the male troll 4 times more ugly, than the female ones. And that that forms a main reason why they do not feel drawn to play these races. That the female version is does not meet the archtype of the race enough, and is just a green or blue barbie doll, like everything else. And if they're going to play a barbie doll, they already got a nicer looking one. So there does seem to be a market for women playing monster races. They just don't want to play a male character to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    But at the same time, I often hear lamenting from female players that the female monster races are not monstrous enough. That the male orc is 4 times more muscular and the male troll 4 times more ugly, than the female ones. And that that forms a main reason why they do not feel drawn to play these races. That the female version is does not meet the archtype of the race enough, and is just a green or blue barbie doll, like everything else. And if they're going to play a barbie doll, they already got a nicer looking one. So there does seem to be a market for women playing monster races. They just don't want to play a male character to do so.
    Yea this is a pretty common trope in a lot of fantasy/sci-fi. I think this picture sums it up pretty well even if it is a bit exaggerated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    I haven't really experienced this and I don't think there are numbers to back it up.

My characters are almost evenly distributed between Horde/Alliance, Female/Male and the various races.

Burly Kultiran monk leather daddy, delicate female nelf druid, cunning male gnome pirate, sadistic female undead priest. You name it!
    Ah, so you do it more based on theme - undead do fit the sadist type, but then, most races have a fantasy for a lot of their classes. Would be interesting to see what character customisations you chose for each. And if any of the new options interest you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpcat View Post
    Yeah, same. The way I see it I'm not playing "with" a character, I "am" that character and I like being the good looking protagonist in that story. But I love when the world around me is weird monsters, dramatic events, etc.

When I was a kid, however, I'd always pick monsters, robots and weird races because I felt that's cool
    I think this is kinda how I feel the most. I love playing with and having monsters all around me, but prefer being the good looking protagonist, i think it's maybe why I much prefer the horde over the alliance and stopped caring who joined which factions when blood elves were available on the horde. it's also why i haven't cared much if alliance got high elves, but was kinda a bit jealous of anohter pretty "normal" race joining - i think subconsiously, this is why I didn't like Nightborne joining and if I were to pick an alliance race to make the cross over it would have been Draenei (not necessarily worgen becuase I feel we had it's type/vibe generally covered - Draenei has this weird elite/gorgeous monster vibe, not quite monster to it. And Lightforged would have been perfect for us.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    I do not know how general it is, but my anecdotal experience lines up - my ex refused to play Horde on account of them being monsters. (And then she refused to play Blood Elves on account of them being Barbie dolls.)
    She reminds me of my sister, you just can't win.

Quote Originally Posted by Soikona View Post
    For everything I prefer a human race. Playing a “monster” has zero interest to me. All my horde toons are belf cause it’s the closest human like race there.
    So you're the one JoCat has been warning us about.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    I like humanoidal races which looks good(or have good racials).

About that "male players playing with female chars". I personally don't give a fuck what race/class you play as long as you do it good and it had no impact on guilds/my goals.
    But I think there's a thin line between "playing" and "acting".
    If you are playing as a female and acting normaly then it's fine, but if you are acting like a female, then seek help.

And the "I want to look on the female's ass rather than male" - if you're looking at your character's ass then you're just playing wrong game.
    It's different strokes dude, I remember this guy who was playing a female character, ended up having this other guy fall for her big time, and so he crossed Europe to meet her irl, found out she was a dude, and lost it, broke up the realm's top guild, this was in classic so a long time ago. At the time to me, this was insanse, I coudln't imagine things like that, but ofc nowadays, it's common.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    It could just be my experience, but the majority of players that play Orcs, Trolls, Tauren and desire to play races like Naga are male (surprising seeing how female centric the Naga are).

Most of the girls I've met in warcraft either play Elves (vast majority blood and void elves, but also Night and Draenei females ), seen a much larger number play Vulpera too - but not your Orc, troll, worgen kind, and nearly all the requests for naga are from males.

Do you find this the case? And why do you think?
    So you've sat down and polled millions of players on horde on gender-vs-character aesthetic? Was that before or after you dug through the future-race preferences of millions of players? You do know what 'majority' means, yes?

Maybe ask your question without all the made-up 'data' next time.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Every female bloodelf/voidelf i met ingame was played by a guy so no.

A more useful poll may have been one with options like "I am male and I play mostly <this type> of race" "I am female and I play mostly <this> type of race. Now we're only getting people's opinions.
    Haha yeh, I kinda suck at poles and can't modify ones once made. Probably also should have made it multi choice or maybe advised players if you most play monster races and like it as opposed to only playing it because of racial. Curious, what set of options would you have used?

I've led a roleplay guild for 10 years, so you'd think I'd have more insight. At least half my members are female. But it's really hard to tell.

Overall, I'd say there's definitely a gender difference, which is to be expected. Society brings men the strong muscular power fantasy, and is focused on female beauty and grace. Self-identification seems a bit more important to women that I know. Nearly all have a strong bias to playing female characters. More so then the men towards male characters. But the bias towards non-monster races seems less profound. There are definitely more male orcs than female orcs. And more female Blood Elves.
    Yes, I've noticed that too, a lot more women play female characters too, while amongst guys the gender is up in the air. This shocked me at first, I couldn't understand why boys would play as girls, but then my first experience with video games was at 6 so, I just didn't understand responses like "nice to lok atfrom behind" till much later.

Still I notice a lot of younger males almost always play males. And most of the Blood elf and Night elf male characters around are usually young males or gay males - that i've come in contact with. It's interesting. I understnad it a bit more now I think.

WHAT? For real? I've never heard that one, I have heard the comment though that the females are too sandardised, but I had no idea this was coming from the female players.

I know blizzard change the troll female from this

in early alpha.

I wonder though if they are okay with Tauren, worgen, Panda and Vulpera females, htey at least mainatin a closer proximity to the males than orcs n trolls do. Naga would be another one too, if they became playable. And I wonder how they would view a Dryad/Keeper race if they became playable. - Although those seem more creature than monster. Mogu/Satyr playable would be more monster. Both have female models. Although they come off as more fiendish Draenei

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zylos View Post
    Yea this is a pretty common trope in a lot of fantasy/sci-fi. I think this picture sums it up pretty well even if it is a bit exaggerated.
    Rof - it's true, haha. Although warcraft is better than most by actually attempting female versions of a lot of races -since no where else does em, i'ts nice to see female tauren, worgen, satyr, mogu, draenei, Pandaren, Vulpera and even undead etc - tbut the orc and troll female are too standardised. Shame they never did a female abomination. They did do a male banshee - the manshee - and for elves of all races. It was funny though. Remember.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    The cultural norm is a lot more focused on admiring and decorating female bodies than male ones, so naturally most women choose to be women and more guys choose female than you’d expect (similar to the reason you see a lot more transgender men than women).
    coudl be that most just don't notice tansgender women, cos they're not pumped/dressed up.

5+ Year Old Account
    It's hard to tell. The three gals I know from my guild (whom I've played with in other guilds as well) are a quite mixed bag. One of them mains female Tauren, the other male Troll, and the third one goes with female Forsaken.

For some reason, my suspicion is that "pretty female" toons (i.e. human, BE, draenei, etc.) are played by male players, in a large majority.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by DatToffer View Post
    So you're the one JoCat has been warning us about.

Reminds of when i was 15, I think this certainly true int he 11-18/19 demography. But I had to laugh, because it was so true of us in the earlier days.

i'm willing to wager human male warrior is the most popular combo in all the RPG games that offer class selections. I think they were the most popular in wow at the start too.

Quote Originally Posted by Renault View Post
    I've mostly played female characters myself since TBC, I'm a male.

I'd much rather spend many hours a week looking at a woman than a man.
    this is the dumbest thing gamers say no offense

https://i.redd.it/ms4i6uaa1l301.jpg
    This is purely because guys are doing the vast majority of the artwork in most of these games, or should I specify, "straight" "geeky" guys.

wanna bet it would look a very differnet picture if it were women designing these models. Hmm, would be interesting to see a video game like wow that was animated by women, the closest perhaps would be japanese managa animations done by women mainly portraying male characters - very different tile set to those done by male artist. Typically the latter over sexualise the women, and the former beautify the men. But that could be cultural too, as rugged, muscle men are not culturally attractive in far east asian cultures but are in western ones.

Fortunately WoW doesn't really follow that. Sure, there are some pretty races(elves mostly), and I won't lie that I like the more modern troll and orc faces more than vanilla(damn they were rough). But that's the nature of a FANTASY game. It's ok to skew things more in favor of human sensibilities and ideas of beauty. It's not Azeroth the Simulation, after all(not yet anyway).

Fortunately WoW doesn't really follow that. Sure, there are some pretty races(elves mostly), and I won't lie that I like the more modern troll and orc faces more than vanilla(damn they were rough). But that's the nature of a FANTASY game. It's ok to skew things more in favor of human sensibilities and ideas of beauty. It's not Azeroth the Simulation, after all(not yet anyway).
    Sorta... I think "human sensibilities" isn't exactly accurate. The overarching criticism is that (historically) male characters are designed to the male power fantasy and female characters designed to male sexual fantasy, and honestly I think this is mostly true if you really look introspectively at it. Obviously there are exceptions, but that's all they are (ie not the norm/status quo). Notably missing there is anything to do with female fantasy. Sure in many cases the fantasy may align but the important thing to note is that everyone (male/female/x... doesn't matter) wants something different out of their character, this is why having too many characters fit the same trope is bad and why having a diverse dev team is important to expanding the world to meet more people's idea of fun.

Honestly when I pick a race the gender I pick is completely based on the voice character and how I think the Xmog will look on them. Most of them look better on guys, a few on girls.