View Poll Results: Do you want to be this guy in your fantasy?

Voters
68. This poll is closed
  • yes

32 47.06%
  • No

36 52.94%
Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Would you want to be this guy?

So, with Threats of being a Tinker class being rather common and dominated by the same people, I would want to tackle the question of Tinkers with a different approach in this Thread. My question at you would be, whether or not you would want to immerse yourself into the fantasy of being this guy:

Many people who argue in favor of Tinkers do so with the arguments that a class using machines would be neat or that it would be something different and similar arguments, which may be true but in my opinion are not indicators of whether or not people would actually play the class. During my time in World of Warcraft, I often saw people argue in favor of certain concepts because they are there, while ending up not actually supporting them by playing them. A good example would be for example Pandaren, which was an often demanded race which still ended up being one of the least popular core races despite being playable by both races.

So I want to appreoach this not with the question whether or not a Tinker would be an interesting or unique idea, but with the question whether or not you would want to live out the fantasy of being the character posted at the Screenshot. People chose classes based on aesthetics, performance or class fantasy which is more often than not tied to lore characters, but in my experience when it comes to brand new classes the most common pull towards them and the strongest reason they end up being successful or not is aspect of class and character fantasy. So far in the history of World of Warcraft, the two immediately successful and popular new classes, Death Knight and Demon Hunter, played strongly off the fantasy of being an iconic Warcraft Character, in these cases Arthas the Lichking and Illidan Stormrage. The Monk was the outlayer, being based on a less popular and more niche and gimicky character in the Setting who doesn't pander towards the typical fantasies, interests and wish fulfillment of the general WoW Community, he ended up creating no hype and being received rather coldly during his release.

Which I feel like should teach the lesson that new classes shouldn't be based upon whether or not people may find the idea of it neat, but whether or not the fantasy of being the character who most strongly represents this class is appealing to them.

So is being this Gnome on the picture a fantasy you want to engage in?

Don't like gnomes

10+ Year Old Account
    I wasn't aware that people were advocating for a Depressed Gnome class....
    Last edited by Teriz; 2020-07-25 at 04:04 PM.

It is not a fantasy I want to engage in at all. I would accept tinkers ONLY if elves can also be tinkers. Blood elves, void elves, and nightborne all have a history of creating powerful machinery by using magic.

Also mods should make a Tinker megathread, so that all the people who want this comic relief class can gather there.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

10+ Year Old Account
    Gnome is the only race for which genocide is an acceptable course of action

Even though I've always picked humans for my characters I would 100% roll a Gnome Tinker if they made it race locked to them. Would I prefer Tinker for all/more races? Yes definitely, but it won't stop me from playing a Tinker.

It seems so weird people are so against a class that fits into WoW so well.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Gnome race transmog is engineer-themed. Gnomes themselves are...gnomes. Mechanical mount. Tinker class.
    Race-Class-Mount-Transmog, all in perfect mechanical harmony.
    I am so glad they didn't make tinkers a thing, otherwise I would be tempted to try it out and drop my 10+ years old main character.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiza View Post
    So is being this Gnome on the picture a fantasy you want to engage in?
    Sure, gnome in the picture is quite the boss

Hell, even the Warcraft Tinkers that appear in spin-off games are awesome

And there's also the non-gnome tinkers / engineers of WoW, like the Iron Horde crew, Draenei who build spaceships, Elves with their constructs, etc.

I’m horde, why would I ever play a gnome? Give me a troll tinker though and I’d switch mains in an instant! I’d settle for goblin too, if Blizzard went the DH route and only allowed gnome and goblin tinkers (or tinkerers?).

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    I wasn't aware that people were advocating for a Depressed Gnome class....
    I was linking a picture of the character who embodies the concept of a Tinker the most.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiza View Post
    I was linking a picture of the character who embodies the concept of a Tinker the most.
    Even as someone who wants them to become playable... why did we need yet another topic about this? There's no reason that OP/screenshot couldn't have been posted in one of the other dozens of existing topics about Tinkers.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

5+ Year Old Account
    Goblin Tinker? Hell yeah!

Gnomes though? Gnomes suck!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm glad at least someone here shares my view on Tinkers. I think you hit it pretty spot on. I get the same feeling that a lot of people who desire Tinkers as a new class want them because the IDEA of it is cool but when it comes down to actually playing them on a consistent basis I just don't see it happening.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Even as someone who wants them to become playable... why did we need yet another topic about this? There's no reason that OP/screenshot couldn't have been posted in one of the other dozens of existing topics about Tinkers.
    Because I wanted to tackle the question from a different approach. My personal opinion is, that what draws people the most into new classes is not just aesthetics or mechanics, but more the fantasy of being an iconic Warcraft hero. With Mekkatorque embodying the tinker concept the most, I feel like the question should be, do you want to be Mekkatorque, just like the question with DKs and DHs would be, do you want to be Arthas/Illidan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Gnome is the only race for which genocide is an acceptable course of action
    I agree, gnomes should genocide the other races.

King Mechagon came close...
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

7+ Year Old Account
    Make it a Goblin and i would love it.

5+ Year Old Account
    1 (Orc,Human,Nightborne,Dwarf) Tinker = YES

2 (Gnome + Goblin only) Tinker = NO,ty
    Last edited by cocomen2; 2020-07-25 at 04:52 PM.
    Please, there a perfect example of hypocritical thinking:
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    If Tinkers had anything to do with Hunters, but they don’t. Unlike Bards which are linked to Rogues.

Maybe if they added better mechagnome customizations, particularly customizing which limbs are robotic to avoid diaper gnome syndrome and being able to have part of my face mechanically replaced on the side with a big red eyeball terminator style.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

7+ Year Old Account
    i want to be this motherfucker not a gnome:

or this one

Quote Originally Posted by cocomen2 View Post
    Nightborn or DID tinker YES

Gnome + Goblin tinker NO,ty
    The Question of the Poll was whether or not you would want to be Mekkatorque.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    i want to be this motherfucker not a gnome:

or this one
    This was not the question I asked in this poll though. My question was, would you want to be Mekkatorque.