Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Isn't M+ the Rifts equivalent?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    What does roguelike have to do with this thread? WoW has taken many ideas from Diablo 3, World Quests and M+ were among them, you randomly and without any context just throwing in the word "roguelike" with nothing else seems aimless. What are you aiming to point out or discuss with the post? You're coming across like an "acktchually" with no substance, while also probably being quite wrong at the same time?

I mean by all means expand and tell me where you're going with this.

You're calling it a Roguelike, in a thread where we've just discovered WoW devs took ideas from Diablo 3 (which is not a turn based game, and neither is WoW), and not for the first time (legion took heavy influence from D3).. It feels to me that you came into the thread with no intention to do anything than attempt to sound clever?

Like I said, where are you going with this? What is the point you were trying to make?
    Somebody here is rather ignorant on how the roguelike genre has evolved. Yes, Torghast is a roguelike mode, and roguelikes haven't been limited to turnbased for a while now. For that matter, Diablo originally started as one. Also, Torghast is nothing like rifts, which you still seem to have trouble understanding.

We also haven't "just discovered" this. It's been known for months that the WoW devs approached the D3 devs... for help on levelbuilding, not on the gameplay. Torghast's gameplay loop is, again, quite different from the D3 rifts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    Isn't M+ the Rifts equivalent?
    It's probably the closest thing in WoW, yes.

5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    blizz been copying parts of diablo 3 into wow for a long time.
    primarily because they want to make it a mindless cash cow with cheap to make yet very repeatable (and repetitive) content.
    surely thats one of the reason they dumbed down the classes to the point they are simpler than the ones in diablo3.
    You clearly have not played D3. you have maybe 5 buttons at most in D3.
    Every single World of Warcraft class has at least 2-3 times that at max level.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Somebody here is rather ignorant on how the roguelike genre has evolved. Yes, Torghast is a roguelike mode, and roguelikes haven't been limited to turnbased for a while now. For that matter, Diablo originally started as one. Also, Torghast is nothing like rifts, which you still seem to have trouble understanding.

We also haven't "just discovered" this. It's been known for months that the WoW devs approached the D3 devs... for help on levelbuilding, not on the gameplay. Torghast's gameplay loop is, again, quite different from the D3 rifts..
    So you're basing your point on something I didn't say while also having creative license with your interpretation of what I said, great. The use of the word "Roguelike" is something that has only been regularly banded around during the last few years and it continues to get bastardized further, Diablo is nothing like the game Rogue, it's an action RPG or a Hack & Slash, feel free to look at any gaming magazine going back to the 1990s.

Torghast is also not "like" Rogue, it has a lot in common with how Rifts are done in Diablo 3 though. It seems your point was just to be an "acktuuchaully" after all, with no points of discussion or conversation and also while "ackkkchtually" being wrong. I mean go play Rogue, the 40 year old turn based game that has effectively nothing in common with Torghast or D3, having procedurally generated levels really doesn't change that perspective.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

I think it will be a interesting side activity and a improvement on islands I don't think its gonna be the new "killer" mode people are hyping it up to be.

I don't see anything wrong with that, reaper of souls and the rift/grift endgame made diablo 3 a good game imo. since it has a good replay-ability.

I mean sure, we are at season 21 at this point and it is rather stale now because it has been going on for years, but you can surely get your money's worth out of d3 ros.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    So you're basing your point on something I didn't say while also having creative license with your interpretation of what I said, great. The use of the word "Roguelike" is something that has only been regularly banded around during the last few years and it continues to get bastardized further, Diablo is nothing like the game Rogue, it's an action RPG or a Hack & Slash, feel free to look at any gaming magazine going back to the 1990s.

Torghast is also not "like" Rogue, it has a lot in common with how Rifts are done in Diablo 3 though. It seems your point was just to be an "acktuuchaully" after all, with no points of discussion or conversation and also while "ackkkchtually" being wrong. I mean go play Rogue, the 40 year old turn based game that has effectively nothing in common with Torghast or D3, having procedurally generated levels really doesn't change that perspective.
    The first Roguelikes predate Rogue. But hey, whatever. Go on, keep wallowing in your ignorance and pretend a genre wouldn't evolve over 42 years.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    The first Roguelikes predate Rogue. But hey, whatever. Go on, keep wallowing in your ignorance and pretend a genre wouldn't evolve over 42 years.
    The first "Roguelikes" were not called Roguelike, it's called Roguelike because the games have things in common with the game Rogue.. Lots of games have things in common with the game Rogue, as they have things in common with Pacman, Super Mario, Legend of Zelda.. You came into a thread and quoted me without addressing anything I said just so that you could say "hurrrr Roguelike"..

What exactly was your point all along? Torghast is more like Diablo 3 than it is like Rogue. WoW has taken several ideas from Diablo 3 and successfully made them work, but sure if you want you can trace those ideas back to other games. It's pointless and has nothing to do with my post, nor did you even address anything I said? You just posted to be an annoyance, and achieved nothing else.

By all means, tell me what the point was so this is a discussion instead of a pointless waste of both our time.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post

There was a lot of debate about this. I was instantly turned off by Torghast because it reminded me too much of rifts. I fielded criticism that it had nothing to do with rifts, well, now we have official confirmation that WoW devs specifically consulted D3 devs to get insight on designing Torghast. So there is strong rift influence in its design and likely going forward with the game mode.

Definitely not buying SL.
    Pretty sure it was about procedurally generated dungeons and how best to go about it. Torgast doesn’t seem like rifts at all. So I think ur being a bit dramatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Wuusah View Post
    Stop don't, come back...

If you look for a reason to hate it then you'll find a reason to hate it. The only thing that sours the game to you is your own attitude.
    So if I'm playing a game, and it randomly resets my character, deletes my inventory, and starts charging $75 a month to play - MY attitude is the problem?

What a strange opinion to have.

10+ Year Old Account
    its been pretty obvious that the WoW devs have been picking the brains of the diablo 3 devs for some time now. talent trees, legendary items, titanforging, ability deletion, etc

Which is amazing since i didn't know the d3 devs had any
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Company who owns both franchises consults developers on other franchise on how to make an infinite system within a different game, as they have experience in this field.

This is incredibly shocking.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well....Good. Rifts are a good system and if they handmake the system for WoW, it should be good aswell.

Like, many people might not know this, but Rifts saved D3. Its the best feature of the entire game and it, together with G-Rift, have made D3 a really good game, that does what it does really insanely good.

So its not bad, that Rifts are going into WoW. But as it is with any other feature borrowed from another game, if the adaptation is not done right and if energy is not put into it, it would properly not match.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    So if I'm playing a game, and it randomly resets my character, deletes my inventory, and starts charging $75 a month to play - MY attitude is the problem?

What a strange opinion to have.
    Why do you feel the need to twist words around?

They've been copying things from D3 for awhile now
    Una melodía tocada por las cuerdas de nuestras almas,
    y el ritmo que nos sacudió hasta el hueso

I'm surprised they didn't just find boogers there.

Jokes aside, copying features from D3 is hardly surprising. One of the best features, Transmogrification, came from Diablo3 as well. They also lost alot of flavor with some other descisions though, especially the seasonal gameplay loop. Not to mention the rng loot grind shit-fest.

Edit: Though I'd argue saying they got it from D3 is less embarrassing than saying they got inspired by glamours and deepdungeons.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2020-07-26 at 07:12 AM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Why do you feel the need to twist words around?
    It was a direct quote. You said the following, did you not?

The only thing that sours the game to you is your own attitude.
    Thats a ridiculous claim to make, and makes you sound like a fanboi who is unwilling to accept that the games devs could be to blame for your negative attitude towards it.

They should have consulted PoE developers instead.

Quote Originally Posted by jstnw89 View Post
    They've been copying things from D3 for awhile now
    That's what I was going to mention, as WoW has incorporated D3 aspects since... well, almost as long as D3 has been launched. Right down to actual spell names and visuals. If you play a Wizard in D3, you're going to notice quite a bit of familiar graphics and names when looking at a Mage in WoW.

Is Torghast the same as D3 greater rifts? No, not at all. The feel is completely different, as is the goal of completing the content. Procedurally generating aspects of Torghast were probably discussed with the D3 team, beyond that nothing else was probably 'borrowed' that hasn't already been in WoW.

Of all the things to have issue with when it comes to WoW 'stealing' things from D3, Torghast is probably the last thing that actually should be a concern.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    It was a direct quote. You said the following, did you not?

Thats a ridiculous claim to make, and makes you sound like a fanboi who is unwilling to accept that the games devs could be to blame for your negative attitude towards it.
    Dude, we’re talking here about a thread where someone said he won’t buy the game because the devs talked to other devs...