Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post

There was a lot of debate about this. I was instantly turned off by Torghast because it reminded me too much of rifts. I fielded criticism that it had nothing to do with rifts, well, now we have official confirmation that WoW devs specifically consulted D3 devs to get insight on designing Torghast. So there is strong rift influence in its design and likely going forward with the game mode.

Definitely not buying SL.
    Half the Diablo 3 team is ON the WoW team. That's how Legion was created.

Legion was the Diablofication of WoW. Insane RNG, infinite content in Mythic+, loot raining from the sky, meaningless loot, dumbed down class design etc etc etc

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I'm surprised they didn't just find boogers there.

Jokes aside, copying features from D3 is hardly surprising. One of the best features, Transmogrification, came from Diablo3 as well. They also lost alot of flavor with some other descisions though, especially the seasonal gameplay loop. Not to mention the rng loot grind shit-fest.

Edit: Though I'd argue saying they got it from D3 is less embarrassing than saying they got inspired by glamours and deepdungeons.
    Transmog was added to the game before D3 even came out.

The rest I agree with. The Diablofication of WoW was a cancer that still hasn't been cured.

its almost like they all work for the same company...

Why wouldn't you consult developers who have worked on procedural randomization design?
    Error 404 - Signature not found

See you at launch at midnight.

10+ Year Old Account

There was a lot of debate about this. I was instantly turned off by Torghast because it reminded me too much of rifts. I fielded criticism that it had nothing to do with rifts, well, now we have official confirmation that WoW devs specifically consulted D3 devs to get insight on designing Torghast. So there is strong rift influence in its design and likely going forward with the game mode.

The rift system from D3 is one of the most psychologically predatory, intentionally addicting conglomeration of gambling mechanics I have ever seen in any video game. I am not surprised in the least that they are translating the system to WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by CalamityHeart View Post
    I watched the part of the video where he was talking about Torghast, and I didn't take much from it.

Not only did I not hear the word rift a single fucking time, but the reason why the WoW went into discussions with the Diablo devs when it comes to infinite dungeons is just sound to me. And it's not because rifts are some kind of 1:1 analogue to what Blizzard intends for Torghast to be. It's because all of Diablo 3 is an infinite dungeon, the likes of which Blizzard wanted some insight on, it sounds like.

And what's wrong with asking for insight on a concept from a group of people who have managed to execute that concept pretty solidly?
    Post #33 before the first player reacts to what was posted. The first 32, including the OP didn't bother to watch the video and instead react to the headline. At least the OP posted the video link so we could see he didn't watch it.

So yeah, what CalamityHeart said, the entire WoW portion of the video was the WoW devs talking to the D3 devs about their randomly generated dungeons, and the WoW team leaving the meeting say, no thanks, not WoW enough.

No talks about difficulty, loot, or timers. Only dungeon layout randomness or to say, "procedurally generated infinite content", and WoW said they will continue to do them more like WoW, with a bit of human randomness.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ladey Gags View Post
    The rift system from D3 is one of the most psychologically predatory, intentionally addicting conglomeration of gambling mechanics I have ever seen in any video game. I am not surprised in the least that they are translating the system to WoW.
    If you watch the video, you find that they are not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nfinitii View Post
    Pretty sure it was about procedurally generated dungeons and how best to go about it. Torgast doesn’t seem like rifts at all. So I think ur being a bit dramatic.
    A lot dramatic. Not going to play a game because devs talked to other devs, even when the devs decided not to do things the way the other devs do it.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDays View Post
    Transmog was added to the game before D3 even came out.

The rest I agree with. The Diablofication of WoW was a cancer that still hasn't been cured.
    I worded that badly. diablo3 style transmog, that no longer required you to have all the things you wanted to mog in your bank.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDays View Post
    Legion was the Diablofication of WoW. Insane RNG, infinite content in Mythic+, loot raining from the sky, meaningless loot, dumbed down class design etc etc etc
    You realize you're talking about a universally enjoyed expansion that is considered one of the best ever released iterations of wow, right?

I worded that badly. diablo3 style transmog, that no longer required you to have all the things you wanted to mog in your bank.
    No matter how you word it, it's not very smart (to say the least) to call WoW's transmog "diablo 3 style transmog" considering that transmog in WoW was literally added before D3 even existed.

It's like saying the original Doom has a Call of Duty-style gameplay.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    No matter how you word it, it's not very smart (to say the least) to call WoW's transmog "diablo 3 style transmog" considering that transmog in WoW was literally added before D3 even existed.

Diablo 3 literally did transmog just way better than wow. There is nothing more to it, it is exactly as it is in WoW now, a list of all things you've ever acquired. Heck I even remember playing D3 back then and thinking: "Man which wow would do it like". Not very smart (to say the least) to get triggered over that.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    You realize you're talking about a universally enjoyed expansion that is considered one of the best ever released iterations of wow, right?

Sorry bud. You don't get to throw your subjective opinion around like its a "universal" fact.

Just like I'm apparently not allowed to call BfA one of the laziest pieces of shit ever delivered by this sorry excuse for a company.

- - - Updated - - -

Ahhh yep yep. I understand now.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Cool bro. I for one like that Rift style of content. So cya.

7+ Year Old Account
    Again? People were crying about that during legion beta, with m+, abilities and treasure goblins.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Actually it gave me a Diablo 2 vibe instead. Good old days.

Fully into it tbh. At least the sheeple can't continually moan that there's "no content" like usual seeing as Torghast will constantly provide something new every time.

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    if you've listened to a single thing they've said about Torghast you knew exactly what they were going for. Whether they took advice directly from D3 devs or not shouldn't make a difference.

I haven't liked a single thing i've heard about Torghast since it was announced because i don't like the nature of this sort of content in MMO's. But i'm assuming Torghast will be but one feature of the expansion and a very small portion of the experience. There's lots of other things to look forward to.

You know what - I don't care where they get their ideas from as long as they work in WoW and are fun to play. And from what I've heard and seen about Torghast - it works and is fun. And even if you don't like it, you will only have to do it once or twice per week to get your mats.

If anything, I hope they keep expanding the system with the patches by adding more enemies, floors, anima powers and other cool stuff into it.

[video=youtube;e0eC_INY8fA]

"I'm not buying SL so please don't buy it too"

World of Warcraft is not an artistic masterpiece - originally it was based on Warhammer and Disney aesthetics with design taken from Everquest, and subsequently has had countless "inspiration" (or theft) from Pokemon to Borderlands and especially Dark Souls. It's designers have always looked outward, rarely inward, for instruction in how to construct the game.

World of Warcraft is a pop-culture fusion of the modern globalized culture. Alternatively, we could say that it's capitalist exploitation of global culture for profit.

At least cribbing of Diablo 3 is from inside the same company.

Except Rifts are extremely fun and one of the main things that kept D3 alive for so long. You could also use multiple builds up to a certain point (something a lot of players should enjoy) and then needing specific ones to push higher (this is D3 of course and could carry over into SL).
    Honestly, multiple games have this design. I’m glad WoW dev team consulted a game that has implemented it successfully instead of trying it on their own.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure they consulted the Diablo devs for a lot more than torghast.