Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why is it called the War of Thorns?

Never got that, please enlighten me

Because it was fought in a place with many thorns (a huge forest).
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Because Blizzard wanted it to have "cool name".

Because it was a war fought by a bunch of pricks.

10+ Year Old Account
    They couldn't really call it "The Unprovoked War of Just Incase the Alliance MIGHT attack the Horde some day", that doesn't really roll of the tongue.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Because it was fought in a place with many thorns (a huge forest).
    So why not War of Leafs? Or Groundcover? Or Branches? Or even Flowers like some badass Aztecs?

Quote Originally Posted by Devonitar View Post
    So why not War of Leafs? Or Groundcover? Or Branches? Or even Flowers like some badass Aztecs?
    They're probably saving those names for when the Horde marches on the night elves once again. That seems to happen every 2 or so expansions.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Ok, so as I thought, there was no meaning behind it and they randomly through out something

Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    Ok, so as I thought, there was no meaning behind it and they randomly through out something
    It’s just a play off the Druid spell ‘Thorns’, seeing as how it was majorly Druid/Nature led. It’s pretty obvious imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because the long lasting effects of that 'war' would be felt as the pain of being pricked by a thorn is.

???

Or I'm sure that somebody tried to rationalize like that at some point.

7+ Year Old Account
    rule of cool

Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    Never got that, please enlighten me
    based on the english war of roses.
    which was a much different event but blizzard do like to play off previous wars and events.
    Dragonflight Nerfs vs fun again show a Blizzard that hasn't learnt a lesson, Actions speak louder than words afterall watch what they do and do not do.

10+ Year Old Account
    It sounded cool and sad. Don't overthink it, that's the general thought process behind most of their story decisions anymore: "Is this cool?" or "Can we use this for a cheap emotional gut punch?"
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

sounds like the kind of name a night elf would come up with.

kinda like war of the shifting sands, doesn't really relate to cthun or silithids, and doesn't even relate to fighting in a desert that much either, but probably refers to some specific event in the war.

guessing it's called war of thorns because iirc early on sylvanas breaks through some nature magic war that i guess had thorns in it, and that was one of the pivotal moments in the war.

War of Thorns reminds me of GoT for some reason. Was there something like that in there?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaebryel Quintyne View Post
    War of Thorns reminds me of GoT for some reason. Was there something like that in there?
    Blizzard "writers" love season 8 so it wouldnt surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaebryel Quintyne View Post
    The War of the Five Kings was based on the War of the Roses (roses have thorns). Blizzard also said that the Burning of Teldrassil was inspired by the Red Wedding, since it's meant to be a huge "WTF moment" for fans. That's about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because trees. Okay so most of the "War" took place in Night Elf Territory which is primarily located in forests which has trees and bushes and Teldrassil is a giant tree and some trees have thorns, so even though there was nothing thorny about the war, the war wasn't about "thorns" and it wasn't fought with thorns it's called the War of Thorns because some trees might have thorns and Nightelves live among them and the war took place among them.

Better question is who coined that name when "The Burning of Teldrassil" better sums up the conflict.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    Because Blizzard wanted it to have "cool name".
    Yep, pretty much this. It was a cool name.

War of the stars is what will happen if kaldorei and Shal'dorei become enemies and fight each other

Because any story featuring Tyrande in a significant role is like a thorn in my ass.