Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Probably something about Tyrande and Sylvanus = two whamen = two roses = roses are beautiful but they have thorns = two whamen against each other = thorns n shit = War of Thorns™

I mean look at the writers responsible for this shit, something pretentious like that is exactly what they would do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Pretty much because it's a cool name at the end of the day. There are many wars in history with florid or less than accurate names - Bleeding Kansas, the Hundred Year's War (actually 116 years), the War of the Roses, the War of Jenkin's Ear, and the Battle of the Bulge.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

I thought it refered to Malfurion holding the entire Horde army in the druid thorns spell before Saurfang came to help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chubbybunny View Post
    Because it was a war fought by a bunch of pricks.
    Well said... very well said...
    Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos was the game that brought me into gaming. I was 17 years old then, I abhorred gaming before this game. From then on, I became a fan of Warcraft and Blizzard. To see it all go down the drain like this is truly sad for me. No king rules forever but at least some of them went down in history as real badasses. I hoped Blizzard and Warcraft would be one of them but it is no longer possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinerd View Post
    They couldn't really call it "The Unprovoked War of Just Incase the Alliance MIGHT attack the Horde some day", that doesn't really roll of the tongue.
    The alliance had allready attacked. So it was just a matter of when they would backstab again.

A theory

Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    Never got that, please enlighten me
    So the whole premise is that it is a preemptive attack on the alliance.
    Well a rose is look pretty and is not dangerous till you go to pick it or touch it.
    So maybe it is a reference to the hidden danger

Quote Originally Posted by Louz View Post
    Probably something about Tyrande and Sylvanus = two whamen = two roses = roses are beautiful but they have thorns = two whamen against each other = thorns n shit = War of Thorns™

I mean look at the writers responsible for this shit, something pretentious like that is exactly what they would do.
    I mean... That would make sense if Tyrande would have actually fought Sylvanas.

I was going to say "because it's about the battle against the forces of nature defending themselves" but I can't top:

Quote Originally Posted by chubbybunny View Post
    Because it was a war fought by a bunch of pricks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanoro View Post
    Also shot down were such titles as:
    - War of Lich Queen's Temper Tantrum
    - War of "I can't believe these dumbasses are following me on that half-assed argument"
    - War of Saurfang is a huge hypocrite
    - War of Fuck It, Why Not?
    - War of This Won't Backfire At All
    - War of Let's Claim With a Straight Face It's Not Garrosh 2.0
    - War of Our Plot Twists are Obvious to Toddlers

And many, many more. The entire thing was a campaign at best, it doesn't remotely qualify as a separate war.
    -War of “It’s Morally Grey”
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruargh
    I'm baffled that something this simple can be so hard for some people... I guess we can't blame blizzard for dumbing down the game any longer, because apparently it very much needed :

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinerd View Post
    They couldn't really call it "The Unprovoked War of Just Incase the Alliance MIGHT attack the Horde some day", that doesn't really roll of the tongue.
    I think "Measured response for multiple alliance aggression during and just after the legion's invasion." had a better name to it. Unless we are supposed to forget alliance attacks during the previous expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Because any story featuring Tyrande in a significant role is like a thorn in my ass.
    Hehe, well played sir.

And, Malfurion obviously forgot to esc his current target so he put Thorns on a random Night Elf instead of himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Darknessvamp View Post
    Because trees. Okay so most of the "War" took place in Night Elf Territory which is primarily located in forests which has trees and bushes and Teldrassil is a giant tree and some trees have thorns, so even though there was nothing thorny about the war, the war wasn't about "thorns" and it wasn't fought with thorns it's called the War of Thorns because some trees might have thorns and Nightelves live among them and the war took place among them.

Better question is who coined that name when "The Burning of Teldrassil" better sums up the conflict.
    Do you not know the word "brambles"? The thing that grows in the zone the war was fought in?
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
    Do you not know the word "brambles"? The thing that grows in the zone the war was fought in?
    I am aware what a bramble is and at the same time I'm fairly certain Ashvenvale, Darkshore and Teldrassil feature trees more prominently throughout and are also something that definitely grows in each of the zones that the "war" took place in. Unless you're about to drop some bombshell about how shrubs factored into Sylvanas' motivations for the "war" or how those particular plants played a major role which defined it in the "war" then I don't see what the issue is.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    The same reason they called BfA the Fourth War and forgot they already had one in Cata-MoP: The writers are throwing stuff at the wall and see what sticks
    probably because the war never ended after MoP and it was just a truce?
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    Ok, so as I thought, there was no meaning behind it and they randomly through out something
    Kinda like World War 1 and 2 not actually being a World-wide war. Kinda like Miss Universe not actually taking contestants from outside this planet. People make up stupid names.
    Hi