Thread: 2024 MLB thread

Page 32 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Jake DeGrom will somehow throw a complete game shutout loss this year, I guarantee it. The Mets will manage to score -1 runs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Verlander shut down for the season with an elbow injury.

- - - Updated - - -

Verlander now denies that hes done for the season with forearm tightness. So who knows...

Miami had 7 players test positive prior to Sundays game and they were still allowed to play. Now theres a total of 14 positive cases including 2 coaches and they are just now being shut down. They were playing in philly Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post

Verlander now denies that hes done for the season with forearm tightness. So who knows...
    Well he's done for the season because the season is essentially over now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah the Marlins may have just unraveled what little there was holding the season together.
    /s

https://twitter.com/WillBrinson/stat...45705025720325

"So the Marlins had multiple players test positive over the course of multiple days and MLB granted them the freedom to just say "f it" and play the games anyway??? Sweet plan."

The tweet is quoting this exerpt from an article:
    "Marlins manager Don Mattingly said his team 'never really considered not playing.' The club's most respected veteran, shortstop Miguel Rojas, told the media afterward that all 30 players discussed the situation Sunday morning, but said not playing was 'never our mentality.'"

Basically, the Marlins players had a group text saying, "Nah, we can play..." and no one from MLB or management said, uh, that's batshit crazy?

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post

"So the Marlins had multiple players test positive over the course of multiple days and MLB granted them the freedom to just say "f it" and play the games anyway??? Sweet plan."

"Marlins manager Don Mattingly said his team 'never really considered not playing.' The club's most respected veteran, shortstop Miguel Rojas, told the media afterward that all 30 players discussed the situation Sunday morning, but said not playing was 'never our mentality.'"

Basically, the Marlins players had a group text saying, "Nah, we can play..." and no one from MLB or management said, uh, that's batshit crazy?
    They needed their opponent to decide not to play or that game would have gone on. That's insane. And if that's what the MLB's plan is, this season isn't making it a month in.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    They needed their opponent to decide not to play or that game would have gone on. That's insane. And if that's what the MLB's plan is, this season isn't making it a month in.
    It shouldn't be up to the players to decide. They're always going to choose to play. How many pitchers have ruined their careers pitching through pain because they didn't want to admit something was wrong?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post

Thats fucking crazy. I just don't see how sports can take place this year. Once you have an outbreak its really a snowball effect from the date of the original positive test, and that can last 28 days or more. Its gonna be worse in football and basketball. NBA might have a chance with its bubble but they are already having issues with players needing to run off to gentlemans clubs.

I guess the European model that the EPL and Bundesliga used of "We'll let you go about your daily lives but be careful" was too difficult for the Marlins.

One positive aspect of this for MLB is that it happened to the Marlins and not an actual MLB caliber team so pulling players up from the 60 man roster won't change the level of competition much. The Marlins actually have a decent minor league system now so it may even improve them.

10+ Year Old Account
    The first player suspension semi-related to the Astros cheating scandal and its an opposing pitcher who didn't hit a batter or even receive a warning in the game.

If the Astros are going to be bitches like they were last night, everybody is gonna get suspended. Bregman didn't cause a fuss when a fastball went over his head, he knows what to expect, but Correa had a fit got into a verbal altercation and got the benches emptied. It was stupid, the Astros have it coming.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe Kelly should drop his appeal and start serving his suspension quickly before the season gets cancelled.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    More cardinals tested positive today. Enjoy these last few games while you can. Hopefully players see that and start really picking on the astros while they still can.

lol, the Mets.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    I'm fine with Brennaman potentially being fired, but every time one of these things happen I'm intrigued how everyone goes so over the top describing it. The article on ESPN includes the following words:

abhorrent, unacceptable, horrific, homophobic, offensive, insulting, hateful

Then there's a quote about how GLAAD called his apology "incredibly weak". Here's what he said on the air: "I can't begin to tell you how deeply sorry I am."

It's such a strange cultural phenomenon how organizations react to these things. The repeating of different adjectives makes the people saying them seem almost guilty, or afraid of appearing complicit, or that they don't think people will believe them. It's really weird and to me expresses their fear of being put under the limelight.

Then on the "incredibly weak" apology: what, do they expect him to commit harakiri live on tv? What combination of words would be considered "strong"? You don't have to accept his apology, that's fine, I (unlike Brennaman) do know the history of the word. But again I think that's just posturing... it makes them seem less abrasive if they say his apology is weak than it would be for them to say that a simple apology isn't enough.

Maybe we just need to invent a new word that's worse than all those other adjectives that can be used for racist statements, and a stronger form of "sorry" that people can use so that apologies can be strong and people don't have to use 7 different adjectives that all just say, "It was really bad. No I mean it - it was really really bad... it was really really REALLY bad".

Just a pet peeve.
    He may have started his apology like that, but he interrupted his own apology to call a homerun happening in the background. That shows you how sincerely he cared about the apology (IE, not at all). I have to believe you KNOW this fact, and purposefully excluded it to make some larger (incorrect) point. And it happened because Fox Sports didn't pull him off the air and let him speak later, he CONTINUED TO CALL THE GAME and apologized during an at-bat.

Also, I'm of the opinion that saying something that you don't think other people will hear is probably the truest barometer of who you are - getting caught on a hot mic is about as pure as it gets in judging someone. And what he said was.......abhorrent, unacceptable, horrific, homophobic, offensive, insulting, and hateful. I have no problem with any of those being attached to what he said.

He did the pseudo-apology: "if I hurt you, I'm sorry" thing and never apologized to the group the slur referred to. The first group he apologized to was "the people who sign my paycheck".

Field related thing: The Pirates are on pace for 12 wins which would be the worst winning percentage in modern MLB history (there are 3 pre-1900 teams worse than that). They still have a 0.2% chance for the playoffs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nobody is gonna miss Brennaman.

Also interesting that you think your opinion is a fact and that you're so sure of it that you can call my opinion incorrect. Love that liberal righteousness.
    How dare someone on the internet disagree with you.
    /s

I agree that it was bad, and I have no problem with not accepting the apology, and no problem with firing him. I do have a problem with turning him into a demon. When you say that it's the truest barometer of who you are - you're right that it is the truest barometer of what you say, but words mean different things to different people and I don't think that this one word means that he's an irredeemably homophobic person - I think it means he didn't realize the effect that his words would have on other people. A lot of people use terms privately for shock value that they would never use publicly (I know you're going to ask this, so no, I don't do that). I haven't heard anyone use the "n" word basically ever, but the word Brennaman used is still regretfully pretty widely used.

I think this means that he's a person who needed (badly) to learn a lesson about tolerance and what words are appropriate to say. I'm the furthest thing from a homophobe, I have a member of my immediate family who is openly gay and I love him dearly. But I'm also a forgiving person and I'm willing to say that one word that shows a person at their absolute worst doesn't necessarily reflect who they are.
    He called a city "the fag capitol" of the world. How is that "words meaning different things" and that him using it in that context doesn't mean he's homophobic? That's like, the biggest stretch ever.

As for you a) omitting the homerun call in the middle of his apology, and b) later excusing it as "professionalism", that kind of shows your agenda. Joe Buck doesn't call shit all the time, and that's him refusing to interrupt his stupid little anecdotes. I clearly labeled my opinion as opinion, and prior to that, asserted that you must have known about the homerun call which is why people called it a "weak apology," (a reasonable assertion which you then proved correct), and then drew an inference on why you may have omitted that tidbit and only include the sincere-sounding first line of the apology.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol... I don't have any problem with someone disagreeing with me. I have a problem with someone calling their opinion "fact" and calling mine "incorrect".

I also have a problem with someone who twists my statement in order to make me look bad - which is what you just did.
    Your opinion being incorrect is.......you guessed it, my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: Also, I have to push back on this "showing him at his absolute worst." He's not angry, he's not being provoked by an aggressive gay dude, he's not fragging noobs in COD and let a homophobic slur slip.......he's using it in the course of every day conversation while he thinks he cannot be heard. That's fucking atrocious, and I, like I said, a good barometer of who he probably is as a person.

Also, I don't know anyone who uses that word openly any more. Maybe in the 90s. But it's 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hang around middle class white guys over 60 in a male sports setting and you'll hear it. Not saying it's right, but also saying that they're not all evil. And he didn't intend for it to be used openly, it was "locker room talk". It's a regrettable vestige of an earlier age. Hell, I've heard older men who have gay family members say it. It's not a big deal done in private settings, just old men struggling to adjust to the times like always. It's a big deal if younger folks are still saying it and think it's ok.
    OK then, at least how big an apologist you are for this behavior is beyond doubt now. Save me having to read between the lines when you put it out there like that.

Also, if it's your opinion, don't use the words "fact" and "incorrect". Say you disagree. The definition of "incorrect" is "not in accordance with fact". It's not a word you use to express an opinion. If you use words correctly it's easier to convey your meaning.
    We get it, your feelings are hurt when people disagree with you, that's life.

All these "problems" you're claiming to have with "language" aren't the camouflage you think they are, you couldn't be more transparent.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyway, baseball, the western divisions have so far been untouched by Covid /knockonwood and I wonder if that good fortune will keep up. What will it be like if they all make it to season's end without having to play the many doubleheaders that face the Central and East? What kind of advantage could that bring them?
    /s