Page 1 of 17
... LastLast

Cool People are going to play WoW with a controller and how you should accept it!

This appeared on wowhead today and again it caught fire:
    https://www.wowhead.com/news=317101/...-xbox-series-x

It's been almost 1 year since I decided to try the ADDON consoleport that allows you to play WoW on any content using an Xbox controller.
    The experience was so good and addictive that I never went back to the mouse and keyboard.
    I was never left-handed and used to miss some keybinds (mainly in intense fights in PVP) and this problem was corrected using the controller. Finally, I can also move further away from the monitor and rest my back! lol.

HOWEVER...

... although this seems to be a good option for all WoW players on the planet ... whenever there is a real possibility that this option is not dependent on an addon, but is officially implemented in the game ... it appears from the darkness one lot of people trying to forbid this possibility and deprive many players of trying to play with a controller.
    In particular, I only see positive things if Blizzard really allows its players to use a controller. I don't understand who is against this! There is no imbalance between who uses a controller and who uses the keyboard. Do you really think I'm able to win a fight against Pikaboo in a duel just because I'm moving the character with the left thumb and hitting the keybinds with the right thumb ???
    Jesus guys ...

Imagine that, going from clicking and keyboard turning to using a controller

We were almost done with getting rid of bads and now they're coming back. For fuck sake

Wow has been on a path to console release for years.

They’ve stripped abilities, dumbed the game down to the point a caveman can succeed in it, and recently added controller support

All roads lead to console

mages are going to have a field day blinking through people using controllers

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    Wow has been on a path to console release for years.

They’ve stripped abilities, dumbed the game down to the point a caveman can succeed in it, and recently added controller support

All roads lead to console
    Somehow your argument falls apart when i look at most combat rotations in classic that are just way more controller friendly...

3+ Year Old Account
    It might work for a Havoc DH but I don't see a controller working when you have double digit skills to use regularly, at least not optimally.

But hell, if someone playing on a controller is in a dungeon with me and they pull their weight, who cares. FFXIV works with a controller.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean. As someone who has played FFXIV on a controller I don't see an issue. That game has way more ability bloat than WoW ever will and it's pretty manageable. Would I want to play it as my only option? No way but I really don't think you will be able to tell like people think you will.

The majority of content you would even be doing it doesn't matter in the least and I highly doubt most people would be trying to do mythic content. And even then I still don't think it would be that bad.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Littleraven View Post
    I mean. As someone who has played FFXIV on a controller I don't see an issue. That game has way more ability bloat than WoW ever will and it's pretty manageable. Would I want to play it as my only option? No way but I really don't think you will be able to tell like people think you will.

The majority of content you would even be doing it doesn't matter in the least and I highly doubt most people would be trying to do mythic content. And even then I still don't think it would be that bad.
    The main difference is the speed of combat. FFXIV has 2,5 sec base GCD vs WoW's 1,5.

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    You can play FFXIV on a console now and the rotations in that game are more bloated then peak bloat wow.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

I'm not sure anybody was arguing that using a controller would be an unfair advantage.

WoW is mostly adding the support as a means to let disabled people play the game. That way they can get something like the Xbox Adaptive Controller and customize it to their needs.

You're unlikely to see gladiators, high key M+ or world firsts being done with such a setup. WoW simply is not suited to controller use without an enormous rethink about how targeting works. They even deliberately broke things that could make targeting easier, like /tar on certain enemies and EnemyGrid.

One question I have always wondered about using a controller.

Target switching.

Melee, its probably not that big of a deal, tanking, maybe a little more, but how in the hell would you play a healer and play with a controller??

Find me players in high end raiding guilds playing with controllers and how that works for them. Then find me the average player who uses a controller and compare him/her to another average player using a keyboard & mouse.
    If you have a preference that’s cool, but with this many keybinds and abilities there’s no way to map every one of them to a controller for some class/specs.
    Hell, you can play FPS games with a controller, too, but it’s so subpar to mouse and keyboard you can easily see the difference with APM.

There is nothing wrong with playing with a controller but it WILL leave you at a disadvantage. For casual play though? Sure, it works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantazma View Post
    In particular, I only see positive things if Blizzard really allows its players to use a controller. I don't understand who is against this! There is no imbalance between who uses a controller and who uses the keyboard.
    I don't want the game getting dumbed down any further to accommodate it. As long as they don't design the game to cater to people using a controller I'm fine with it... If they start dumbing down the game even more just so that every class's spells can be fit on a controller easily then I'm going to be pissed.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Neverafter View Post
    One question I have always wondered about using a controller.

Target switching.

Melee, its probably not that big of a deal, tanking, maybe a little more, but how in the hell would you play a healer and play with a controller??
    I think in FF you cycle through the targets with the left and right buttons. But, yes. It's slower and uncomfortable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artale View Post
    The main difference is the speed of combat. FFXIV has 2,5 sec base GCD vs WoW's 1,5.
    This is a thing but I still don't really see it as that big of a barrier. I know it's not apples to apples but people play action games on controllers all the time, Sure they usually don't have 10+ abilities to use at any given time but it's not impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantazma View Post
    This appeared on wowhead today and again it caught fire:
    https://www.wowhead.com/news=317101/...-xbox-series-x

It's been almost 1 year since I decided to try the ADDON consoleport that allows you to play WoW on any content using an Xbox controller.
    The experience was so good and addictive that I never went back to the mouse and keyboard.
    I was never left-handed and used to miss some keybinds (mainly in intense fights in PVP) and this problem was corrected using the controller. Finally, I can also move further away from the monitor and rest my back! lol.

HOWEVER...

... although this seems to be a good option for all WoW players on the planet ... whenever there is a real possibility that this option is not dependent on an addon, but is officially implemented in the game ... it appears from the darkness one lot of people trying to forbid this possibility and deprive many players of trying to play with a controller.
    In particular, I only see positive things if Blizzard really allows its players to use a controller. I don't understand who is against this! There is no imbalance between who uses a controller and who uses the keyboard. Do you really think I'm able to win a fight against Pikaboo in a duel just because I'm moving the character with the left thumb and hitting the keybinds with the right thumb ???
    Jesus guys ...
    If WoW's gonna release for Xbox then you can definitely still play with mouse and keyboard on it as well.

Also people have been playing WoW with a controller for ages already and it's actually very good, for all kinds of stuff... even for healing. Keyboard-only PC players really underestimate how well people can actually play with controllers, heck I even often get rekt by people in CoD who play on a controller while I am on mouse. But I guess some people, despite never going further than normal mode raids, still think that the way how the top 100 guilds is how everyone should play.

Either way, I really hope that WoW is gonna release for Xbox (not just talking about controller support), so i can finally get rid of my gaming PC which I've been only using for WoW anyways (and all other games on Xbox One X). I will still play mainly with mouse and keyboard tho.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a thing but I still don't really see it as that big of a barrier. I know it's not apples to apples but people play action games on controllers all the time, Sure they usually don't have 10+ abilities to use at any given time but it's not impossible.
    Adding to that: I am sure that most WoW players don't key-bind the other action bars besides the main one.

Racing wheels are superior!

-

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyOne View Post
    Somehow your argument falls apart when i look at most combat rotations in classic that are just way more controller friendly...
    Nowhere did I mention classic, also you’re cherry picking quite a bit considering most classic classes have multiple bars of abilities. Good luck raiding naxx as a prot warrior using 2-3 buttons

You can't even compare the two. All of FFXIV's jobs has less APM than the slowest one in WoW