Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizr View Post
    Lol this is so silly but it would give left taste of its own medicine. They should be fine with it too, if they knew anything else than double standards and hypocrisy.
    Projection, thy name is Cizr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    That doesn't matter. The left is trying eradicate all things that are attached to that bygone era. The Democrat Party name is one of those things.
    False.

The left is trying to eradicate all things that glorify that bygone era. Not eradicate completely.

I'd love to, for once, listen to a right winger who actually understands what the left wants, and not what he thinks the left wants.
    Putin khuliyo

7+ Year Old Account
    The bygone era of the Civil Rights movement when the statues were put up by racists upset that their daughters might marry a black man?

Sure thing boo boo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    If the left wants to make everyone else change any name connected to the Confederacy or Slavery, then surely the Democrat party name should be changed since it was the party to support slavery and segregation.

Don't argue that things have changed. Things have changed for all the others as well.
    Not all things have changed. That's the point - the things that don't want to change need to be changed regardless. Hence no Confederate Flag, nor celebrating Confederate soldiers with statues.

The position that the Congressman is taking has nothing to do with what the "left" is doing - he's just trying to muddy the waters. I'm sorry you can't see the difference, but the rest of us can.

- - - Updated - - -

Reading comprehension helps. I said leftists not Democrat (not Democratic) party. Although I can see where they can confused.

Your example: Princeton University. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/27/n...ow-wilson.html
    Perfect example to prove my point. That's the past, and if that past still stands for slavery and racism, then it should be changed. The Democratic Party (the "left") does not, and so it shouldn't.

Do you get the difference between something that has changed and something that has not? The "left" has changed, the Confederacy has not. Simple.

- - - Updated - - -

That doesn't matter. The left is trying eradicate all things that are attached to that bygone era. The Democrat Party name is one of those things.
    You couldn't be more wrong. The "left" is trying to remove historical celebrations of racism - like Confederate statues. The Democratic Party has changed from what it was before.

The difference seems to be well beyond your grasp - shocking no one on this forum.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizr View Post
    Lol this is so silly but it would give left taste of its own medicine. They should be fine with it too, if they knew anything else than double standards and hypocrisy.
    Yes, because the left is protecting statues of confederates that attacked the US... wtf?

Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    False.

The left is trying to eradicate all things that glorify that bygone era. Not eradicate completely.

I'd love to, for once, listen to a right winger who actually understands what the left wants, and not what he thinks the left wants.
    but without those strawmen, how will they win
    and remember, they were promised winning, so much winning, till they were sick of it
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hello strawman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Hello strawman.
    Thwarty has struggled with conspiracy theories (the fucking irony, speaking of the recent past) and a number of other issues that elude common sense and basic logic. The strawman he puts forth above is just more of the usual drivel. He, as do others, struggles with the idea that events of the past are left in the past, so long as they are not praised or celebrated in the present.

Which is why a political party, with a long-gone past of racism, can stand proud by wanting to tear down those monuments to racism in the present. This is something that he and people like him with rarely ever understand.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Not all things have changed. That's the point - the things that don't want to change need to be changed regardless. Hence no Confederate Flag, nor celebrating Confederate soldiers with statues.

The position that the Congressman is taking has nothing to do with what the "left" is doing - he's just trying to muddy the waters. I'm sorry you can't see the difference, but the rest of us can.

- - - Updated - - -

Perfect example to prove my point. That's the past, and if that past still stands for slavery and racism, then it should be changed. The Democratic Party (the "left") does not, and so it shouldn't.

Do you get the difference between something that has changed and something that has not? The "left" has changed, the Confederacy has not. Simple.

- - - Updated - - -

You couldn't be more wrong. The "left" is trying to remove historical celebrations of racism - like Confederate statues. The Democratic Party has changed from what it was before.

The difference seems to be well beyond your grasp - shocking no one on this forum.
    What about the people that are being cancelled over something they said 10-12 years ago on twitter? I'm sure they have changed since then right? Doesn't seem to matter to the cancel mob.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    What about the people that are being cancelled over something they said 10-12 years ago on twitter? I'm sure they have changed since then right? Doesn't seem to matter to the cancel mob.
    Have they disavowed their prior statements, apologized for them, and worked against what they used to stand for?

No?

Then you're comparing apples to battleships and wondering why we don't see the connection.

You mean... free speech?

Problem there is, that's individuals (which still doesn't make some of those cancellations dumb). But here we are talking about a party, an organization, that has no more members from that age, nor keep around and glorify aspects of said past as some honorable memorabilia.

Could still demand to get them to change their name.
    Formerly Howeller, lost my account.

Surely you have some relevant examples where the cancelled person:
    1) Said something objectionable on a public forum long ago; and
    2) It reflected their opinions at the time, but they have since changed their opinion, publicly apologized, and denounced their previous statements, or
    3) Their statement was considered socially acceptable (or at worst, marginal) at the time and it is only in today's context that the statement is offensive, and they recognized that their past conduct is inappropriate by today's standards

I'll wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    What about the people that are being cancelled over something they said 10-12 years ago on twitter?
    What does being cancelled mean?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    What does being cancelled mean?
    From the examples they dredge up, it seems to mean "got legitimately called out publicly for being an abusive ding-dong".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    Surely you have some relevant examples where the cancelled person:
    1) Said something objectionable on a public forum long ago; and
    2) It reflected their opinions at the time, but they have since changed their opinion, publicly apologized, and denounced their previous statements, or
    3) Their statement was considered socially acceptable (or at worst, marginal) at the time and it is only in today's context that the statement is offensive, and they recognized that their past conduct is inappropriate by today's standards

I'll wait.
    I got one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Gunn
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troma_Entertainment

One more? Sure...

The Last of Us 2 voice actor Laura Bailey sent horrifying death threats over gamers disliking her character
    https://metro.co.uk/2020/07/04/last-...cter-12943471/

If you think Louie Gohmert Pyle of all people has a good idea, it's time to stop posting.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    From the examples they dredge up, it seems to mean "got legitimately called out publicly for being an abusive ding-dong".
    It’s why I want him to define it... Because I’m pretty sure the alt right sending death threats to a voice actress, because a video game character is gay or trans, counts as cancelled... even if she didn’t get fired due to the cancel campaign. I’m pretty sure there isn’t a single person who has faced a cancellation campaign, as much as Anita Sarcisian... or are we acting like gamer gate, wasn’t cancel culture?

Do we count the Trump staffer from 2016 accusing him of trying to force him self on her, dropping her case because of the death threats her mother and family received? Was that lawsuit cancelled?

Let’s also not forget the likely most famous victim of cancel culture... Colin Kapernic...

Edit: Funny enouph, this is the same look I have on my face, when people bitch about lefts cancel culture:

Last edited by Felya; 2020-07-27 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Edit: Funny enouph, this is the same look I have on my face, when people bitch about lefts cancel culture:
    That's not a great example of cancel culture. Threatening the life of the POTUS is a big no-no for American residents and she was rightly called out for it.

Of course, the right's big salty tears over Kathy Griffin was nowhere in sight when Ted Nugent ran his fucking mouth multiple times. There was plenty of bitching about his nice warm chat with the Secret Service.

Yeah Democrats own up. Change your party name since it’s historically been the party of racism. Also get that Democrat Andrew Jackson off the 20$ bill, that was anti-abolitionist and is known for the Trail of Tears.