Quote Originally Posted by kaid View Post
    Also the question is does the GOP senate have enough votes if the senate dems won't play ball on this to even pass the bill in the first place. They can trot this out but I am highly dubious they have the votes without democratic help to lift this to the finish line.
    Can GOP Stimulus Package Even Pass? Lindsey Graham Indicates Half of Republicans Will Vote No
    Doesn't sound like it

So they trot out this dog it falls on its face then are forced to work with nancy and chuck to do the hard work. They are just wasting time right now with their dithering.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    A more current version of this is: https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-onl...131700423.html

Title: Trump only pivoted on coronavirus after reportedly being warned of spikes among 'our people' in red states

Excerpt:

As long as the virus was something that killed blacks, browns, and liberals, it was GO VIRUS GO. DON'T WEAR MASKS, WE NEED TO HAVE BIG BEAUTIFUL STADIUMS FULL OF PEOPLE.

Now that the virus is killing more republicans, Trump and republicans are not so pro-virus anymore. Kemp and DeSantis are still working hard to restrict attempts to slow down the virus, but in general republicans have been a lot less pro-virus than in the past.

It's also interesting that their INTERNAL information is that the virus is expected to surge, while their PUBLIC posture is that the virus is under control. Basically they are flat out lying about their projections about the virus, which of course sets up America for maximum virus spreading.
    Honestly it's the same feeling as all the anti-mask lunatics suddenly praising how cool masks are when Trump started promoting them. They never actually cared until one of their own told them to care.

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post

May i ask, what's the tactic of the GOP here? people will die, a fuckton of people will get sick, and many more will suffer. They know who's in power, and know that they fucked up.
    i heard a far fetch one of "we lost the election already lets fuck the democrats for 2024".

maybe to crash and hope biden burns worse so they do great in 2024 blaming all trumps shitshow on biden?
    kind of like how they tried in 2012 to do to obama for republicans mess?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    All of Europe is capitalist too. The point of a monopsony is negotiating power. It happens on multiple industries without state intervention due to the formation of oligopolies at a specific point in the supply chain controlling prices both up and downstream. I mean theoretically you could have insurers, pharmacists and hospitals in California centralize drug procurement and squeeze the margins of drug makers just as well as European states do (much better given that many of our countries are much smaller than the bigger US states).
    Competing companies cannot negotiate as a group that is anti competitive behavior and they would be sued and fined to death.
    the govt has made sure of that.

For instance CVS and Walgreens cannot get together as drug stores and negotiate together against a pharma company.

They could merge and then do it but that too would be subject to anti competitive review.

but drug companies can have a forced monopoly on a drug for 5-10 - 25-40 years, that's ok.

- - - Updated - - -

Cross posting this disaster from Trump and co.

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...1#post52530425

whelp what a cluster fuck this GOP plan is.
    No wonder they had to cut unemployment they have a lot of money to give businesses and corporations!!!

Where do we start, sigh

https://www.axios.com/mcconnell-repu...9a119b22b.html
    https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...committee.html

200 dollars because, well even though they knew this weeks ago, states cannot handle the change quickly. imagine having to pull the salary data on a few million workers and making sure its accurate and then applying it appropriately. then dealing with appeals, phone calls, etc etc...

The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES) Act provides an additional
    payment of $600 per week to individuals receiving unemployment insurance (UI) benefits
    through July of 2020. This provision would continue supplemental payments of $200 per week
    for weeks of unemployment through September. Starting in October, this payment would be
    replaced with a payment (up to $500) that, when combined with the state UI payment, would
    replace 70 percent of lost wages—either via a formula specified in the bill or by a state
    proposing an alternative method and receiving approval from the Secretary. States that are
    unable to provide a second payment tied to lost wages by October 5 could apply for a waiver
    from the Department of Labor to continue paying a fixed dollar amount for up to two months.

Part 2
    So some states can put off paying anything but 200 till DECEMBER.. cough red states...cough

Then they have to waste money by sending letters reminding people of what they were told when they apply. That they have to look for a job and keep looking.
    millions out the door.

Well at least it gives them 2 billion of the 20-30 billion they need to upgrade their systems...

Part 3

While they are reducing the amounts individuals get, they are increasing the amounts companies and corporations get in tax credits by 300%.

Also increasing The work opportunity tax credit (WOTC) provides an elective tax credit to employers hiring individuals who are in one or more of ten targeted groups.
    Increased for employers from 40% for first 6k to 50% for first 10k

Part 4
    Safe and healthy workplace tax credit: Our tax dollars pay for huge profitable corporations to make it safe for their workers.

500 x $1000 + 500 x 750 + (all employees over 1,000 x $500)
    So amazon has 800,000 employees and they will get over $400 million ... not a year....BUT A QUARTER! Amazon will get $1.6 billion dollar tax credit for providing what they already provide as part of running a business.

Napkin math, Walmart will get 4.5 billion dollars

In each calendar quarter, qualified expenses cannot exceed a cap based on the average number of employees. The cap is equal to $1,000 for each of the first 500
    employees, plus $750 for each employee between 500 and 1000, plus $500 for each employee that exceeds 1,000.
    Last edited by Zan15; 2020-07-27 at 10:57 PM.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post

Part 4
    Safe and healthy workplace tax credit: Our tax dollars pay for huge profitable corporations to make it safe for their workers.

500 x $1000 + 500 x 750 + (all employees over 1,000 x $500)
    So amazon has 800,000 employees and they will get over $400 million ... not a year....BUT A QUARTER! Amazon will get $1.6 billion dollar tax credit for providing what they already provide as part of running a business.

Napkin math, Walmart will get 4.5 billion dollars

In each calendar quarter, qualified expenses cannot exceed a cap based on the average number of employees. The cap is equal to $1,000 for each of the first 500
    employees, plus $750 for each employee between 500 and 1000, plus $500 for each employee that exceeds 1,000.
    Speaking in regards to Wal-mart

During the coronovirus outbreak they rolled out their "Greater Worldplace" which they try to hype up as great but in reality is quiet bad for people.

It cut multiple middle management positions, so, wide spread demotion. Massive cutting of salaried positions as well, they were made hourly if they were salaried.
    Wide spread hours cut company wide.
    Normal bonuses have been down massively due to razor thin margins.
    So when they talk big about those bonuses that associates are getting? 1. Due to cut hours, demotions, and normal bonuses going down, it doesnt even approach making up for what was lost. 2. Its a half bonus for part timers, which is what walmart tends to prefer.

It talks big about required masks and heightened safety, but they give managment no power to actually enforce this and associates know it. So many walmarts are full of associates not wearing masks or not covering their noses and theres nothing anyone can do about it. Infact managers are heavily encouraged to not do anything about it so people dont call out. Likewise they just gave a general hand waved "Make sure to clean more" but at the same time will come down on managers and associates HARD for not maintaining normal operations despite how many people are quitting and being sick, so there is SUBSTANTIALLY LESS cleaning going on due to their own policies.

As a side note they made a big deal about Thanksgiving for associates, that stores will be closed.

Let me tell you what they did for Christmas when the stores was closed and associates got a "Day off".

They FORCED associates to use their severely limited time off for Christmas, and still had everyone work 5 days that week anyway. Which I imagine will be happening for Thanksgiving.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Administration asks FCC to carry out Trump's tech crackdown

The Commerce Department petitioned the Federal Communications Commission on Monday to narrow the liability protections of online companies, as President Donald Trump directed in May in what he pitched as a crackdown on anti-conservative bias.

Monday's petition includes a request that the FCC impose a regulatory requirement on social media companies, even though the agency doesn't regulate them.

What the administration says: “It has long been the policy of the United States to foster a robust marketplace of ideas on the Internet and the free flow of information around the world,” said Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross in a statement. “President Trump is committed to protecting the rights of all Americans to express their views and not face unjustified restrictions or selective censorship from a handful of powerful companies.”
    I could be wrong, but I don't think the FCC will take this on. Currently 3 out of 5 commissioners are opposed and 1 for. As for Ajit Pai, based on his historical propensity for less regulations advocacy, I seriously doubt he want to get involved in this mess of hot potatoes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Likewise they just gave a general hand waved "Make sure to clean more"
    Hygiene theatre.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

SNIP.
    Oh you don't have to tell me, my pastor is a walmart middle manager now starting this year after 16 years of being an associate and he is beginning to wonder if he just committed work suicide.

the horror he says and tells us about working there each week is crazy.

don't worry i think this week the Walton's officially jumped over 200 billion total worth in stock and total dividends earned.

- - - Updated - - -

sad part is, this will hit GOP's base the hardest

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/30/this...00-a-week.html

Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account

During the coronovirus outbreak they rolled out their "Greater Worldplace" which they try to hype up as great but in reality is quiet bad for people.

It cut multiple middle management positions, so, wide spread demotion. Massive cutting of salaried positions as well, they were made hourly if they were salaried.
    Wide spread hours cut company wide.
    Normal bonuses have been down massively due to razor thin margins.
    So when they talk big about those bonuses that associates are getting? 1. Due to cut hours, demotions, and normal bonuses going down, it doesnt even approach making up for what was lost. 2. Its a half bonus for part timers, which is what walmart tends to prefer.

It talks big about required masks and heightened safety, but they give managment no power to actually enforce this and associates know it. So many walmarts are full of associates not wearing masks or not covering their noses and theres nothing anyone can do about it. Infact managers are heavily encouraged to not do anything about it so people dont call out. Likewise they just gave a general hand waved "Make sure to clean more" but at the same time will come down on managers and associates HARD for not maintaining normal operations despite how many people are quitting and being sick, so there is SUBSTANTIALLY LESS cleaning going on due to their own policies.

As a side note they made a big deal about Thanksgiving for associates, that stores will be closed.

Let me tell you what they did for Christmas when the stores was closed and associates got a "Day off".

They FORCED associates to use their severely limited time off for Christmas, and still had everyone work 5 days that week anyway. Which I imagine will be happening for Thanksgiving.
    All accurate. I lost count the numbers of times I've complained to management about my co-workers who have to be within touching range of me, not wearing their masks properly. Forget the customer mandate, if they can't police their own workers, customers will be able to do anything they possibly want.

Oh you don't have to tell me, my pastor is a walmart middle manager now starting this year after 16 years of being an associate and he is beginning to wonder if he just committed work suicide.

the horror he says and tells us about working there each week is crazy.

don't worry i think this week the Walton's officially jumped over 200 billion total worth in stock and total dividends earned.

- - - Updated - - -

sad part is, this will hit GOP's base the hardest

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/30/this...00-a-week.html

Ok... With this i'm 80% sure that the gop strategy will be to lose to Biden, narrowly keep the senate and be the insufferable pricks that they have been since the 60s, blocking all possible progress.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    No wonder they had to cut unemployment they have a lot of money to give businesses and corporations!!!
    I get the Republican idea of giving companies money to hire people. I do. But I don't think that happens with tax credits. And I have zero faith that tax credits will be used to pay to keep things clean and sterile, when they're protected from lawsuits with absolute immunity, which still seems to be a GOP/Trump priority. Why would they?

Yankees surprised by Trump announcing plans to throw first pitch without invite: report https://t.co/5KNXRPocxm https://t.co/Dac3JmWU4t
    https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1...712500225?s=19

Haha. What a petty, lying sack of feces. Just couldn't stand Fauci getting the home opener.

Oh btw, for thos not paying attention (probably posted a few pages back), Trump said he canceled because of China and stuff. Basically way to busy. Yeah, he went golfing this weekend.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Republican Sen. Tom Cotton describes slavery as a "necessary evil" in bid to keep schools from teaching 1619 Project https://t.co/lBgWAVIwMS https://t.co/zMh3VeZILF
    https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/stat...739672064?s=19

Oh have we talked about this? Likely deserves its own thread.

Republican Sen. Tom Cotton of Arkansas described slavery as a "necessary evil" in his ongoing effort to prevent US schools from teaching the 1619 Project, an initiative from The New York Times that reframes American history around the date of August 1619, when the first slave ship arrived on America's shores.
    So yeah. I don't know why you don't want a well researched article by NYT not be part of a school curriculum. Liberal media? Don't give me that bs. I have no idea how you believe there is a liberal spin on slavery or why conservatives want to defend slavery.

Then he tries to use the Lincoln quote of 'unnecessary evil'. An awful quote to bring up. The main issue being is like most they want to ignore it. They don't want to discuss the issue since they would have to admit there are two America's for African Americans and white European descendants.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

61,571 new cases; a few thousand less than last Sunday--but still nearly 3 times as many as a couple months ago.

Florida: 8,892 new cases; 78 deaths
    California: 7,630 new cases; 92 deaths
    Texas: 6,187 new cases; 97 deaths
    Georgia: 2,890 new cases; 11 deaths
    Tennessee: 2,553 new cases; 11 deaths
    Louisiana: 2,343 new cases; 23 deaths
    Alabama: 1,821 new cases; 18 deaths
    Arizona: 1,813 new cases; no deaths reported*
    North Carolina: 1,767 new cases; 10 deaths
    Virginia: 1,505 new cases; 4 deaths
    Oklahoma: 1,401 new cases; no deaths reported*
    Illinois: 1,231 new cases; 18 deaths
    Pennsylvania: 1,222 new cases; 4 deaths
    South Carolina: 1,218 new cases; 15 deaths
    Missouri: 1,189 new cases; 11 deaths
    Maryland: 1,128 new cases; 7 deaths
    Ohio: 1,112 new cases; 33 deaths
    Washington: 1,042 new cases; 16 deaths

No new records today from what I noticed (I didn't check many states with under 1k cases, admittedly) which is the first time in several weeks, but again things have been quieter than normal on the reporting front this past weekend. I'll cross my fingers and hope tomorrow will be down from the previous Tuesday, but I'm not entirely optimistic.

Deaths were up from last Monday at 596 putting the US at 150,444 confirmed dead. Two of the states listed above did not report any deaths for the day which is almost certainly false given their history of the past week. Expect them to be added to the tally tomorrow as normal.

The death total will almost certainly be back above 1k tomorrow but it remains to be seen if new cases continue to plateau, spike higher or--please, oh please--start dropping.

Stay safe, folks.

EDIT: Also worth mentioning, Virginia had their second-highest new cases total. Their highest was back at the end of May and they had been steadily decreasing up until the outbreak from the South crept northward.

Wear your masks you cretins.
    Last edited by Benggaul; 2020-07-28 at 02:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Woot!!! Washington back in top 20! The day after we sign Adams? Go Hawks! /facepalm
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

first the rent collapses :

then the landlords get foreclosed.

Mass unemployment, mass homelessness, mass disease. ----> mass looting, mass squatting, mass death.

capitalism killing itself because the upper classes take all the cash and the workers cant afford to buy anything. You hate to see it.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    first the rent collapses :

then the landlords get foreclosed.

Mass unemployment, mass homelessness, mass disease. ----> mass looting, mass squatting, mass death.

capitalism killing itself because the upper classes take all the cash and the workers cant afford to buy anything. You hate to see it.
    Woah careful there you sound like a commie!

Don’t put down the ultra rich chosen by god it’s not their fault the rest of us are poor and useless. /s

Badly regulated capitalism is like watching a zombie eat itself after having a filling meal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TigTone View Post
    Woah careful there you sound like a commie!

Don’t put down the ultra rich chosen by god it’s not their fault the rest of us are poor and useless. /s

Badly regulated capitalism is like watching a zombie eat itself after having a filling meal.
    That’s why you mix it with football and patriotism... to make it less communist... here is an example... Workers rights and adequate compensation is a touchdown for America!
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    That’s why you mix it with football and patriotism... to make it less communist... here is an example... Workers rights and adequate compensation is a touchdown for America!
    Hahaha, wish it was that easy to convince the fanatics not self destruct the country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TigTone View Post
    Hahaha, wish it was that easy to convince the fanatics not self destruct the country.
    If it weren’t for the inevitable catastrophe... a thread on how to better communicate with Trump simps, might be interesting... not calling them simps is a nice start... lol