View Poll Results: Do you believe in ghosts?

Voters
67. This poll is closed
  • Yes, totally.

8 11.94%
  • No, not at all.

46 68.66%
  • Maybe?

15 22.39%
  • Never really thought about it.

1 1.49%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Do you believe in ghosts?

Ghosts defined as humans who died and left behind a spirit.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    For sure. Not anything you can prove to those in this physical world however. Unless you are one of those who knows......
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

I would say no for sure, if I had not seen one myself once. Technically speaking, I don't really know what i saw, but it was a tranclucent and generally human shaped thing at the end of a corridor. Matches pretty well how ghosts are described. I'm willing to agree I halucinated it, though.

Due to this event, I have been very interested about paranormal stuff, but I try to be critical. There are very few things I can't outright say what it is and give a better reasoning than "ghost". It is extremely rare I find something I can't explain or have very good idea what it like is in truth.

Those orbs you see in ghost videos on youtube? Dust. Bugs. etc.
    Shadows move past on the video. One of the people who recorded it probably created a shadow.
    EVP's. You can basically interprete random noise as words easily.
    Random noises. Buildings and materials easily generate sounds when temperature changes. An animal might be moving. Wind. Anything.

What I look for is actually something visible that can't be explained to be a bug or something. I have seen some weird things about this. Validity increases, if its recorded somewhere like airport, hospital or by police.

So yeah, I go for "maybe". I have no idea how physics would allow it (since it doesnt as far as we know). Something being there after death just makes people want to believe it too. The thing is, in this universe everything that has a start has an end. It is far more likely death is an end and there is nothing else to it. So I still generally lean towards just seeing halucinations.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by whynotchris View Post
    Ghosts defined as humans who died and left behind a spirit.
    No because nobody has created a theory of ghosts that explains why they came about and how they work.

There is no "spirit" unless you are referring to your information state before you die. Currently there is no theoretical pathway for perfectly recovering that information and so you shouldn't believe that you have a spirit... What could be possible in the future? We can't know that ahead of time but that's not a reason believe in the supernatural.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-07-28 at 08:02 AM.

of course i do, there are few dozen posters on these forums that post the dumbest most uneducated shit then ghost their own thread.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

I voted "maybe." I've had weird experiences but nothing definitive, like actually seeing a ghost or whatever.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarfhamster View Post
    I voted "maybe." I've had weird experiences but nothing definitive, like actually seeing a ghost or whatever.
    But you shouldn't "definitively" believe in ghosts even if you interpreted a ghost through an observation, you should only believe in them if you have an explanation of ghosts or if your experience can be consistently replicated by a third party.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-07-28 at 05:49 AM.

No, nor do I believe in monsters.

My imagination, however, very much believes in monsters. Especially at night.
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

No, they're just pure fantasy. I can see why the idea appeals to people, though. Just another way for some to come to terms with their mortality.

I try to keep an open mind to concepts, but ghosts are too defined without proof to pass.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

I do yes. I've seen them on a few occasions. Nothing big or grand. Sadly, its one of those things that most people doubt because 1) we can't find them on demand and 2) our ability to document them sucks.

I believe that if they were given more credibility that we could see some serious leaps in technology for trying to find them or even record what the heck they are exactly. It certainly is a field of science that is vastly ignored and not really studied. Simply because of human nature being that you have to see to believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

No, because I'm not a superstitious moron.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamilk View Post
    No, because I'm not a superstitious moron.
    Harsh, but pretty much yeah. It's not any different from "Can't explain, therefore, God". Just leave it at "Can't explain".
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    I do yes. I've seen them on a few occasions. Nothing big or grand. Sadly, its one of those things that most people doubt because 1) we can't find them on demand and 2) our ability to document them sucks.

I believe that if they were given more credibility that we could see some serious leaps in technology for trying to find them or even record what the heck they are exactly. It certainly is a field of science that is vastly ignored and not really studied. Simply because of human nature being that you have to see to believe.
    I take Occam's razor when it comes to things like this. If it can't be reproduced in data, and we have other data that shows that our meat computer has a tendency to recognize patterns all the time even in the absence of them, it's more likely that they're hallucinations.

7+ Year Old Account
    I've seen them on a few occasions.
    It's a myth that seeing something justifies its existence. Errors in sensory interpretation happen all the time.

Nothing big or grand. Sadly, its one of those things that most people doubt because 1) we can't find them on demand and 2) our ability to document them sucks.

No, science only relates to *testable* ideas. We can't create any experiments involving ghosts and so there's nothing scientific about this topic.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-07-28 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamilk View Post
    I take Occam's razor when it comes to things like this. If it can't be reproduced in data, and we have other data that shows that our meat computer has a tendency to recognize patterns all the time even in the absence of them, it's more likely that they're hallucinations.
    Problem is, we don't have data that explains it. The thing you're talking about is like recognizing patterns in clouds or seeing faces on chips that aren't there. Some would also argue that it can be reproduced at times in certain places.

Like I said, its simply a case of being unable to observe it on demand that causes a lot of people to completely discredit it until they see something themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    It's a myth that seeing something justifies its existence. Errors in sensory interpretation happen all the time.
    Look, I am completely on the side of science. But when 2 people see the exact same thing, kind of trows sensory errors out the door.

No, science only relates to *testable* ideas. We can't create any experiments involving ghosts and so there's nothing scientific about this topic.
    We can and have created tests and experiments involving ghosts. So by your definition, it is a scientific field. One that has a lot of high end researchers in it. The problem is, as with a lot of things in science, we don't understand it enough to replicate it on demand.
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

7+ Year Old Account
    Problem is, we don't have data that explains it. The thing you're talking about is like recognizing patterns in clouds or seeing faces on chips that aren't there. Some would also argue that it can be reproduced at times in certain places.

Like I said, its simply a case of being unable to observe it on demand that causes a lot of people to completely discredit it until they see something themselves.
    Actually the lack of observation and data isn't the problem with ghosts, the problem is that ghost proponents offer zero 'explanation' for how and why ghosts come about and how they work.

No. Or at least not in a way that they are in any way around us.

There are countless TV Shows that packed the "most haunted locations" with all kinds of cameras, microphones etc. and never got anything reasonable. Almost everybody carries a readily available camera with them all the time yet there are no photos/videos of ghosts that aren't sketchy.

It would be awesome if ghosts would exist because that would be a proof of some kind of life after death but they don't.

Nope. Not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Actually the lack of observation and data isn't the problem with ghosts, the problem is that ghost proponents offer zero 'explanation' for how and why ghosts come about and how they work.
    That, in itself, is a problem. The ones you're asking are often times those who have no field in any background that could even begin to fathom an explanation on the how or the why. They have theories with zero tools to test it reliable. The ones they do have are crude at best and often times just made up on the fly. Its essentially asking a child why gravity works or how it works. They couldn't even begin to explain it beyond them just knowing it works because they experience it.

Now, I know some don't believe. But to completely discredit it would be, in my opinion, really bad. Take the Higgs Boson for example. Its always been there, yet wasn't even discovered until 2013. Heck, we still can't even observe protons, yet they are accepted as fact. It may someday come about that we find a way to prove that ghosts do exist, and that would change a lot.

Until then, its just going to remain a see it to believe it deal.