Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I got mine done at 23&me, not sure on its accuracy as it seems to be missing Native American on my father's side, his grandmother was Native, so my great-grandmother, and it should show up on the test, but doesn't.

My breakdown is 100% European

41% Greek and Balkan
    21% British and Irish
    17% French and German
    3% Scandinavian
    2.9% Italian
    1.5% Eastern European

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    I got mine done at 23&me, not sure on its accuracy as it seems to be missing Native American on my father's side, his grandmother was Native, so my great-grandmother, and it should show up on the test, but doesn't.

My breakdown is 100% European

41% Greek and Balkan
    21% British and Irish
    17% French and German
    3% Scandinavian
    2.9% Italian
    1.5% Eastern European
    So someone lied to you, now to find out who.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    So someone lied to you, now to find out who.
    Could be, I've seen her photo, she looked Native, and her surname was Savage, which was often used by assimilated Natives in states without reservations.

But who knows. I'm estranged from the American side of my family, haven't spoken to them in 20 years aside from my late father.
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2020-07-26 at 05:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    Most likely because the results aren't accurate, but there is yet another explanation for that, genetics could help explain it. We inherite 50% of the genoma from each of parents (50+50=100), if the results are accurate you just didn't got any of the native american genes, which is still uncommon.

i dont really need to use it, since i already know i have a mostly German ancestry with splashes of other stuff.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurgjelme View Post
    What was your results?`

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Wasn't this posted already? I could swear I've seen that weird face before somewhere.
    it's thurin...

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't need those stupid sites. My grandfather did all of that work while he was still alive. Both family histories on my mom and my dad's side he traced back as far as they could go. Apparently my mom's side has ties to the Dukedom of England several hundred years ago after one of the Dukes had an illegitimate child with one of their maids before she ran away and my dad's family history ends at a war memorial somewhere in Scotland, the family history records for that ancestor were destroyed in a church fire. I'm as white as they come, which is funny considering I don't have a pasty white complexion.

Also, the ethnic genealogy thing to me seems like race baiting. What matters should be the people your ancestors were, not their race.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Natta Lmo View Post
    it's thurin...
    Why delete your account to then post pictures of yourself again so everyone remembers who you were?

Man, some weird people on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    My wife is in it big time. Mine can not be traced back very far, because of the lack of recorded history within my known family records. On my wife's side, she has traced it back to Irish immigrants in the 1800's. She did the DNA test ( I haven't ) and her shows a lot of ancestry to Ireland and western Europe.

My son had his DNA done and his showed about the same as my wife's, with exception of more from England than my wife's showed and also some from the west coast of Africa. So if it is correct, his African part comes from my past I assume. Even tho, I am blue eyed and have fair skin. Had white hair until I was about 12, then blonde until I was in my late 20's. But it could still be true.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

I just found out I have Métis Indian in me, I also have French, Irish, possibly Scottish and some English, probably some northern European too as I am a naturally large man, not fat but solid haha. I am going to do a DNA test in the next year or so to see for sure.

I feel like i may have a lot of neanderthal DNA too because my brow is dominant as fuck lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Don't need those stupid sites. My grandfather did all of that work while he was still alive. Both family histories on my mom and my dad's side he traced back as far as they could go. Apparently my mom's side has ties to the Dukedom of England several hundred years ago after one of the Dukes had an illegitimate child with one of their maids before she ran away and my dad's family history ends at a war memorial somewhere in Scotland, the family history records for that ancestor were destroyed in a church fire. I'm as white as they come, which is funny considering I don't have a pasty white complexion.

Also, the ethnic genealogy thing to me seems like race baiting. What matters should be the people your ancestors were, not their race.
    DNA is the ultimate test, it will tell you more than history can.

my sister did it a fair bit, went back a fair few centuries, maybe 1500s down some of the lines. pity it's all for nothing, our line will end with myself brother and sister.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    I just found out I have Métis Indian in me, I also have French, Irish, possibly Scottish and some English, probably some northern European too as I am a naturally large man, not fat but solid haha. I am going to do a DNA test in the next year or so to see for sure.

I feel like i may have a lot of neanderthal DNA too because my brow is dominant as fuck lol.

- - - Updated - - -

DNA is the ultimate test, it will tell you more than history can.
    But DNA doesn't tell you where your ancestors lived. Most of mine are Scottish and British, even my mom, who is British, has Scottish heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    But DNA doesn't tell you where your ancestors lived. Most of mine are Scottish and British, even my mom, who is British, has Scottish heritage.
    Ya that is fine, I just mean to know your genetic lineage is more important in some regards especially if there is missing family history which many have it could bridge the gap.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The racial genetics I'm less interested in than the actual tree. I've only gone back about 175 years on my mom's side but I had an aunt go back 400 years on my dad's side, tracing the whole tree back. THAT gets interesting because you find that you're related to people that sometimes have history you can look up connected to them, or even visit the areas they lived in. In some cases I've visited grave sites of relatives 150 years back that I'd otherwise never know.

That information in a lot of cases is out there and not that hard to find at least for 150 years. The online sites like Ancestry definitely help though since they link research between their users making it a lot easier to find info. Thankfully many newspapers going back to the mid 1800's have been digitized, making it easier to search for names in birth records or obituaries. Obituaries are great because they usually include a short bio of the person along with a "survived by" list that is key in building your tree. County records which have also been digitized are also a big help when researching.

So that's where I'd point a person more if they are interested. The gene stuff like 23andme might be an easy starting point, but having known some people that have gotten them done I do question their accuracy a bit. And in the end just finding high level geographical % with no detail leaves a person with more questions than answers. Finding and visiting the grave of someone that was essentially my blood in 1850, and finding out about their life and things they did, that is way more valuable than some %'s.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurgjelme View Post
    Using sites like 23andme, ancestry or myheritage is quite popular nowadays. It's fun to be able to see where your ancestor have moved around the world since emerging from Africa. Not only that, but you get to see some historical people you share haplogroups with.

Your results can be a surprise sometimes. My father for instance had a lot of Mediterranean markers, while I had none. It's even let me connect with people from several nations from all over the world, through systems that make finding distant and close family easy and fast.

Has anyone of you ever used any kind of heritage site? What was your results?`

I got mine a while back and it was not that surprising. I was expecting more Mediterranean markers, but I guess that was not part of the mix for me.

It would be fun to see how others fared with their results if they have any, and if it was anything like they expected.
    I was till I took the test and found out how boring my family tree is, my genetics are rare but also very very boring.

The I2-M223 fatherline is the major sub-branch of the I2-P214 fatherline, which is associated with the pre-Celto-Germanic people of Northwest Europe, such as the megalith builders that lived here from 5000-1200 BC
    The blurb from my results, mum's line wasn't much more interesting she's h1c3

10+ Year Old Account
    The hell is the difference between a white Brit and and a white German or French person? DNA claiming they can extrapolated imaginary geopolitical borders?

Can they tell how Floridan vs how Californian I am?
    Last edited by PACOX; 2020-07-28 at 08:15 PM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I have less than zero desire to pay a company to take my DNA data and sell it onward to whatever third parties they choose to, without my further permission because I signed that away in the disclaimer when I bought the service.
    This is my take on it.

If I could get it done and be restricted by HIPAA or similar, cool, but otherwise it's a big yikes from me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    The hell is the difference between a white Brit and and a white German or French person? DNA claiming they can extrapolated imaginary geopolitical borders?

Can they tell how Floridan vs how Californian I am?
    There is a difference.

Finland is funny in a way that eastern and western Finns are genetically more different than Brits and Germans are from each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account

It's been updated, but the updated one doesn't condense it in a way that would allow it to fit here, but this is the over all for me.

One of my great great grandfathers on my fathers side was indeed a slave, bought and sold in North Carolina, to a Plantation in Mississippi, On My mom Side From Germany Lower Saxony region. My Grandmother on my mom side English and Norwegian from Yorkshire.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2020-07-28 at 11:17 PM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

My sister did something like this. It showed mostly from here and then more % Chinese than we expected.