View Poll Results: Do you believe in ghosts?

Voters
67. This poll is closed
  • Yes, totally.

8 11.94%
  • No, not at all.

46 68.66%
  • Maybe?

15 22.39%
  • Never really thought about it.

1 1.49%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    No there's no language issue except that you don't seem to understand that a theory is a theory because it is not a proof.

Again I ask you to keep an open-mind and consider the idea that what you believe might not be the absolute truth and it could be false.
    I am extremely open minded, not sure where you are getting the idea that I am not, we are literally on a post talking about ghosts. I wish someone would chime in and also see that you keep using the religious straw man about theory and don't acknowledge that scientific theory is something different.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Take UFO's for example, they have been confirmed by multiple governments, and it was confirmed not all of them are of known origin which means extraterrestrial. This is a fact now and it is something people have been seeing for millennia in the sky but was only officially confirmed this year.

Something like that exists but we do not have the understanding to know what is actually going on and of course a ton of sightings are bullshit but I guarantee some are not as this new information has brought to light (I have seen a couple in my lifetime already whether people believe me or not).

Most things like what you stated are clearly not real while others have physical impact on our reality that we just don't fully understand yet.
    So, wait.. ghosts = real because they have physical impacts on our reality (????) And because "just trust me on that until one day, god knows whenever that'll be, science will totally prove it real"

But invisible pink rainbow unicorn = clearly not real.

I mean...if you're a science advocate, then by lord almighty I don't want to meet a person who isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

5+ Year Old Account
    This tangent is off-topic and dangerous misinformation. Keep to harmless ghosties.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

no they dont exist. grow up

Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    So, wait.. ghosts = real because they have physical impacts on our reality (????) And because "just trust me on that until one day, god knows whenever that'll be, science will totally prove it real"

But invisible pink rainbow unicorn = clearly not real.

I mean...if you're a science advocate, then by lord almighty I don't want to meet a person who isn't.
    I mean I guess anything could be proven real with enough evidence obviously, it is just there is no evidence whatsoever to believe those unicorns exist within the confines of our current scientific understanding.

I am very open to things, not sure why people are making these weird battles.

My question to you is have you every had an experience with ghost-like phenomenon? All you have been doing is literally being argumentative for no reason lol.

I believe there are aspects to existence and reality that we can't put under a microscope or dissect in a lab, and I do believe in the soul, so yeah, I'd say I believe apparitions and ghosts are possible, but I also know ghost-related things have been on a fad the last 20 years or so with ghost-hunting reality TV; those I remain skeptical of.

I mean I guess anything could be proven real with enough evidence obviously, it is just there is no evidence whatsoever to believe those unicorns exist within the confines of our current scientific understanding.

I am very open to things, not sure why people are making these weird battles.

My question to you is have you every had an experience with ghost-like phenomenon? All you have been doing is literally being argumentative for no reason lol.
    If you were open to things, you wouldn't immediately dismiss them out of hand. You did just that however. Which is extremely interesting considering your adamant stance on the subject of this thread, and the lengths you've gone to defend it. Have to give you credit on the explanations though, they are special for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

7+ Year Old Account
    I am extremely open minded, not sure where you are getting the idea that I am not, we are literally on a post talking about ghosts. I wish someone would chime in and also see that you keep using the religious straw man about theory and don't acknowledge that scientific theory is something different.
    A scientific theory just means it is "physically testable" as opposed to an unscientific theory. There's absolutely no reason to believe that either version of a theory can ever be proven correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
    This tangent is off-topic and dangerous misinformation. Keep to harmless ghosties.
    Talking about what is scientific knowledge vs non-scientific is highly relevant to the nature of this topic. If you believe something is misinformation then why not have an honest debate about the merit of the arguments instead of insisting that we reduce our conversation down to the level of talking about Ghostbusters and Casper?
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-07-28 at 10:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think ghosts (as in the disembodied spirits of human beings) exist here on Earth.

A scientific theory just means it is "physically testable" as opposed to an unscientific theory. There's absolutely no reason to believe that either version of a theory can ever be proven correct.
    Scientific Theory is a grouping of facts (which are proven to be factual through the scientific process) that explain a natural phenomenon so yes it is proven through the scientific process and it is pretty simple to understand. Things can and do change, many scientific theories have been expanded upon when new facts are presented that support the scientific theory. Some scientific theories do change over time based on new facts and evidence yes, but those old ones are still part of it or shape the new understanding of the Scientific Theory at hand.

There are many Scientific Theories that are accepted as full fact because the evidence is so unbelievably compelling from all sources it is obtained from like Evolution, it is a fact, it happened the evidence is literally in our DNA if you are willing to take a look.

Accepting change is important in life and I do it all the time, and so does science. Scientific Facts are true whether you believe in them or not.

Everything was once a mystery, science is the key to all mystery.
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Unholyground; 2020-07-28 at 10:57 PM.

Never has a ghost been recorded and never has anyone in this world provided a credible report of a sighting. A lot of people throughout history have believed in things and claimed to have seen things that have later been proven to be impossible. It's fun to talk about nonsensical topics with like minded people from time to time but the topic doesn't substantiate serious discourse.

The topic isn't that interesting to be honest, there are many things we can make up in our mind. For example we could look into trying to find the way to the dimension or reality where star wars is actually real. And while this sounds (and is) absolutely ridiculous, if we go by the evidence we have it's in no way shape or form any more ridiculous than the concept of ghosts.

Quote Originally Posted by P for Pancetta View Post
    Never has a ghost been recorded and never has anyone in this world provided a credible report of a sighting. A lot of people throughout history have believed in things and claimed to have seen things that have later been proven to be impossible. It's fun to talk about nonsensical topics with like minded people from time to time but the topic doesn't substantiate serious discourse.

The topic isn't that interesting to be honest, there are many things we can make up in our mind. For example we could look into trying to find the way to the dimension or reality where star wars is actually real. And while this sounds (and is) absolutely ridiculous, if we go by the evidence we have it's in no way shape or form any more ridiculous than the concept of ghosts.
    There are indeed both photos and videos that have been analyzed by every modern technology that they use to test for manipulation which were filmed or taken long before digital manipulation was a thing, and they have no proper explanation. That being said they do have ideas on how some were done but there are quite a few they cannot prove as fake (at least not yet).

I do not know what "ghosts" are but whatever the phenomenon is we can be sure we don't have any solid scientific evidence yet to prove anything.

Based on multiple occurrences that I have experienced there is something to it but probably not in the classical idea/sense of what a ghost is or could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    I believe there are aspects to existence and reality that we can't put under a microscope or dissect in a lab, and I do believe in the soul, so yeah, I'd say I believe apparitions and ghosts are possible, but I also know ghost-related things have been on a fad the last 20 years or so with ghost-hunting reality TV; those I remain skeptical of.
    I agree hard on this.
    I'm near certain humanity isn't done waking up. But for some reason too many think things need to be either one or the other, never ever considering the possibility that science doesn't have any capacity to explain all of reality. (Maybe 25%, and I posit that amount for no reason whatsoever, but merely a whim)

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Going to tell a personal ghost story, which some on here might be interesting to hear and I am not going to debate on what the real answer is for the event. Each to his own belief on the matter is my stance.

When I got discharged from the Army and before I got married, I was boarding with my aunt and uncle at their home. It was not a typical old two story house from the late 1800's you would think of as a ghost hot spot. A single story brick ranch style home made in the late 50's to early 60's or so. They did not own the home and where renting it and had not lived in it for very long.

As I was single, I stayed up late at night and would come home and go to my bedroom which was the next one to my aunt and uncle's bedroom. Soon after I was staying with them, I would hear as I was laying in bed getting ready to drift off to sleep, what sounded like a woman and man, whispering in strong disagreement. Of course I though it was my aunt and uncle arguing in the bedroom next to mine, even tho, it was pretty late for them as they would go to bed early, being farmers before. This went on night after night for close to a week. I was concerned because I really liked both of them and was thinking they where fighting, plus it was keeping me awake.

So one morning, as I was sitting at the kitchen table, eating breakfast with them, I came out and asked them about it, expressing my concern they where having some serous issues.
    They both looked at each other and my aunt then told me, " It is not us. There have been a lot of strange things happening in this house since they had moved there. Things like they would be watching tv in the dining room and clearly hear the kitchen door to the back porch open and close. Knowing full well the door was locked and they would go check and it was still locked. Then one time, the aunt told her next door neighbor about all the strange things happening in the house and the neighbor told her, that house was well known to be haunted and she had seen herself, a ghostly shape of a person walking between their place and the home.

I had no reason to believe my aunt and uncle would lie to me and a few months later after they had finally had enough and moved, I visited them and asked if they where still having the strange crap going on since they moved and they answered, " no. What ever it was, was confined to that one house."
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2020-07-29 at 12:46 AM.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

There are indeed both photos and videos that have been analyzed by every modern technology that they use to test for manipulation which were filmed or taken long before digital manipulation was a thing, and they have no proper explanation. That being said they do have ideas on how some were done but there are quite a few they cannot prove as fake (at least not yet).

I do not know what "ghosts" are but whatever the phenomenon is we can be sure we don't have any solid scientific evidence yet to prove anything.

Based on multiple occurrences that I have experienced there is something to it but probably not in the classical idea/sense of what a ghost is or could be.
    Can you show me some of these photos?

Also there are many ideas on why certain people have had ghost experiences. One of them is related to Agent detection, which is a survival mechanic that makes people and animals presume a sentient agent might be interfering with whatever you're doing at the time. Because from an evolutionary standpoint it's better to falsely detect a predator than it is not detect a predator at all (because one is potentially fatal and the other just slightly stressful). In certain conditions when what we see isn't instantly clear for whatever reason our brain trying to make sense of it can easily fool us.

Almost all people have experience it at some point in their life for example when waking up in low light conditions after having a vivid dream and still seeing things that are clearly not real because their brain is still waking up.

^---What the world would look like if that hypothesis held any weight. (hah, weight, ghost puns...)
    edit: Actually did the math out of boredom, it comes to an actual whopping 14 ghost butts/living human ratio.

After that point you have to start making up BS excuses. "Oh, they're, uhhhh, INVISIBLE! Undetectable by all senses, even!" even though that discredits every single claim of ghosts ever made. Or "they, hrmm....go away somewhere! Some convenient magical realm totally unprovable!" Then why are you claiming they're here on earth, where we can see them, some of the time?

And it goes on and on, as it does any time you back someone against a wall with their BS on a claim and they won't just provide actual evidence for it, but shift the burden of proof to you instead. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell%27s_teapot
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2020-07-29 at 02:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    You should adopt a position based on explanations and not based on evidence though. People are easily capable of seeing observational evidence where there is none and it's not worth much if it can't be explained.
    So use a shit method of determining a claim to be valid or not? No thanks

Quote Originally Posted by P for Pancetta View Post
    Can you show me some of these photos?

Also there are many ideas on why certain people have had ghost experiences. One of them is related to Agent detection, which is a survival mechanic that makes people and animals presume a sentient agent might be interfering with whatever you're doing at the time. Because from an evolutionary standpoint it's better to falsely detect a predator than it is not detect a predator at all (because one is potentially fatal and the other just slightly stressful). In certain conditions when what we see isn't instantly clear for whatever reason our brain trying to make sense of it can easily fool us.

Almost all people have experience it at some point in their life for example when waking up in low light conditions after having a vivid dream and still seeing things that are clearly not real because their brain is still waking up.
    I was fully sober and awake for each of the times I had an experience. The second one was a pretty crazy experience.
    Last edited by Unholyground; 2020-07-29 at 04:13 AM.

Enigma takes you where dogma cannot.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    maybe, I wouldn’t be saying out loud I believe in ghosts but at the same time I’m not gonna push my luck by touch/going to hunted objects/ places .